• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Bad Is Your Souls Withdrawal?

I have zero Souls withdrawal after Dark Souls 3. I'll play whatever From puts out, but I hope to God they Give Dark Souls a rest for a minute.

0 because I haven't beat a single game in the genre. I tried Demon's Souls but couldn't do it, and I'm currently about 2 hours into Dark Souls 1.

JarlRaven

I was getting pretty fatigued of the formula halfway through Dark Souls III to be completely honest. Am glad it's taking a break.

Jombie

I'm tired of it, tbh.

I'll try to play DS 2 or 3 and get bored a quarter of the way through, especially 3. I also find I get far more annoyed than I used to and will just quit if I die once. I do the same with Bloodborne.

Murkas

Generally ok for me, I can honestly go back and play a random Souls game and it can be enough, but I do miss it and could do with a new one. Don't really dig the Souls clones (haven't played Nioh).

Fortunately Monster Hunter World is near and the Monster Hunter series is up there with the Soul games for me. My memory on the release order is probably hazy but it honestly feels like these 2 series' release on the heels off each other and there's always content:

Monster Hunter 2ndG, my intro to the series
Demon's Souls
Monster Hunter Tri
Dark Souls
Dark Souls PC +DLC
Monster Hunter 3rd
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls DLC
Monster Hunter 4U
Bloodborne
Bloodborne DLC
Monster Hunter Generations
Dark Souls 3
Dark Souls 3 DLC
Monster Hunter World

And in between Dark Souls 3 dlc releases there was new episodes for my GOTY Hitman 2016 to tide me over. Also not counting the double dips on PC versions when they get cheaper.

Necron

It's true that other games haven't impressed me in a similar fashion despite being so called "great" (i.e. Horizon, Nier, Zelda, Nioh). I kind of feel a bit bad about it too.

I hold Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne in very high regard and that they came out within the span of a few years still astounds me. I miss having another Souls on the horizon but I realise that it's important that FromSoftware try out new things.

I'm fine. If I start to feel it, I still have a copy of Dark Souls II for my PS4 that I've never played that I can dig into. I got vanilla Dark Souls II on PC when it launched and was underwhelmed with the initial version of the game, and rebought it for $10 later down the road on PS4. Got one waiting in the winds if I need.

Wamb0wneD

Didn't we have a thread about someone saying he has withdrawas from Dark Souls and wondered if FROM has problems because they didn't announce a game yet not too long ago?

DerpHause

All the Nioh praise here has me wondering if something is wrong with me. I just couldn't get into it. Atmosphere and level design didn't feel as high as the souls games. Combat also didn't really gel with me, but my goto in souls was sword and board so maybe that just doesn't translate well to Nioh. Also the relative simplicity was refreshing. I may be the only person who finds genuine relief in not finding 17 versions of the same weapon with varying stats depending on when/how they dropped or pure RNG.

ActWan

It'll be hard. I'm going through the series like an addict right now, currently only have the DS2 DLCs left and DS3 which I just bought (and am very hyped for). Reaaaaaally hoping for something at PSX or even E3...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
My favorite type/genre of game ever. I need something by From soon. I mean a Demon's Souls HD would be ideal to scratch the itch. Nothing else do it for me, in the same way. Not even fantastic games like Nioh.

I felt a bit burned out while playing the DLCs for Dark Souls 3. Probably didn't help depression kicked into high-gear at that time either.

Regardless, I very much regret not being able to play Bloodborne. Don't have a PS4. BB looked exactly what I wished for a Souls game to go in. Different tone, lore and changes to gameplay.
It's by far not painful - it's just video games, heh - but I'd love to get my hands on a PS4 with BB since it's almost the only game still getting me excited in my current heavy slump.

FirLocke

I was totally burnt out after beating Bloodborne back in 2015. Just started Dark Souls 3 on PC about a month ago, loving it. It was really good to take that break. Only about 15-20 hours in tho, and I need to replay Bloodborne to get to that DLC.

As much as I am enjoying DS3 tho, I am greatly looking forward to From's next game being different to souls. I also still have Demon's to play!

Dark Souls 3 kind of put a damper on things for me but I was on a serious hype treadmill prior to that.

I burnt out possibly 60/70% through and just haven't had any interest in even finishing it. I picked it back up a few months back, played around for another few days, beat two bosses and discovered that the next area was yet a-fucking-nother v3.0 rehash of a Souls area I've seen since Demon's Souls and just dropped it again.

Objectively, 3 is a fantastic game, but it was too much recycling too soon for me apparently and that was that. I'm really hoping for a new iteration/spin-off like Bloodborne and if it can't be that, just leave the series where it is. I'm way more interested to see what else FROM is bringing to the table next.

Also, if they're happening, I believe the Nioh and The Surge sequels will be seriously great seeing how both original games are really damn good already.

Raitaro

What makes me anxious and having withdrawal symptoms the most is not knowing what FROM is working on and why it is taking so long for them to unveil any footage / titles etc. It seems like an eternity of silence compared to the last years of multiple game announcements, teasers, trailers etc. Sure, DS3 did leave me somewhat burned out but I definitely want more (non-Souls) dark fantasy games from Miyazaki and his team, especially if they offer a fresh take on that.

The Souls games for me offered unparalleled entertainment in many ways, both in terms of playing them and getting lost in the incredibly bleak worlds as I carefully traversed them, as well as in terms of passive entertainment in the form of the many, many lore and analysis videos I watched over the years that made me appreciate these worlds even more. Seeing the content on those dedicated Souls channels like VaatiVidya, ParagonDS etc. dry up because pretty much no other games offer the same level of world building as the Souls games bums me out and I can only hope that they will have new games to talk about at some point.

I still have Demon's Souls and Scholar of the First Sin in my backlog but I still don't feel the need to go back to them. I appreciate the break since those kinds of games are not ones you would want to get numb to.

Zetta

I won't be having withdrawal for some time but I will miss the hell out of the great OST that each title delivered.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
After Dark Souls 3 there was still Nioh which I dumped 90 hours into, without even playing the dlc. A week ago I also played Salt & Sanctuary, which really is 2D Souls in pretty much every way.

So now I have a bit of fatigue tbh. Even when I get a craving, there's still the Nioh & DkS 3 dlc I can play. I think the only big Souls-like I haven't played at this point is The Purge.

Crzy1

I've played a bit of Bloodborne recently. Never did go through the Dark Souls 3 dlc, so I still have that on the table as well. I like the series, but when 3 dropped, fatigue was already setting in. I can do for a while without a new entry, would like to see From take on something new instead.

I was a late arrival to the series so I'm seeing the opposite, I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 & 2 back to back and had to take a break from the series so I didn't get too fatigued before I took on Bloodborne.

I let the sufficient amount of time pass, and am now loving Bloodborne.

I don’t think I ever had any withdrawal? I’m okay with no more Souls games.

Though I have been playing Nioh for a chunk of this year so maybe that’s why?

Either way I’m more hungry for developers to make other kinds of action RPGs than another Souls formula.

What if it came back, but it had RE6 combat and you played as Solid Snake and you fought dinosaurs?
Here is the icon:

ONE-MILLION-BC-2.jpg

gelf

From having a break from the series came at the right time for me. I love the games but you can have too much of a good thing, I was a little burnt out after DS3. When they next revisit Souls style games again I'll be refreshed and excited for it again.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What withdrawal? I'll play a Soul game. I'll enjoy it. But my gaming habits don't revolve around them. I don't stay up late at night pondering the intricacies of the lore and setting. Maybe I'm just Dark Souls-ed out right now.

I'm having Souls withdrawal but I sure as shit don't do any of that. Has nothing to do with the lore. I just want to make new characters ready to explore new dangerous wastelands experimenting with new weapons and spells and shit.

Snoopycat

Banned
None. I hardly bothered to play DS3. By the time it came out I was pretty much done with the series. It felt like oversaturation with Bloodborne having been released close to DS2 and then DS3 coming out after it. Maybe in a few years I'll go back and play through it.

tjlee2

Neo Member
No withdraw because going back to existing games is always an option and these games have a lot of replay value even after hundreds of hours for me.

What I want is to know what's coming next from From Software. If it's another souls type game, that's fine. If it's something new, that's great too. Preference is for something armored core related but I think I'd be ok with whatever they end up going with.

I've been fine. The trick is to find games that do something really well.

In the past few months, I've played Furi, Ys: Origin, Super Cloudbuilt, and Wipeout Omega. They're great games that focus on doing one or two things incredibly well.

Don't bother with games that don't do anything particularly well.

psyfi

Banned
I played DS1 and BB for the first time over the past year, totally adored both, and I'm currently two hours into DS2 with very little motivation to continue. I don't like it much so far, and I don't feel nearly as much drive to see what's around the next corner as I did with the other two. I'm going to give it another try when winter sets in I think, I might be more in the mood then.

Wamb0wneD

I played DS1 and BB for the first time over the past year, totally adored both, and I'm currently two hours into DS2 with very little motivation to continue. I don't like it much so far, and I don't feel nearly as much drive to see what's around the next corner as I did with the other two. I'm going to give it another try when winter sets in I think, I might be more in the mood then.

It's just not as good. People who say its on par or better than DS1 and BB probably also think Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game. They are just wrong. That's ok tho.

Jeiiya

I remember playing Demon's Souls and not finishing and being fine with that for a while. Then Dark Souls 1 came out and I became obsessed. After Dark Souls 1 I needed more so my hype and my Souls withdrawal became BIG.

Afterwards Dark Souls 2 came out and it was okay but not really the full experience I needed. Basically after that I thought I was fine to move on. Then Bloodborne happened and brought me back in. BUT, I knew that i couldn't let my expectations get too high again. That said, Dark Souls 3 felt like the Dark Souls 2 I always wanted.

The DLCs for Dark Souls 3 were also pretty great. That said, I feel like I could do one more major Souls game because really Dark Souls 3 only took care of my Dark Souls 2 hype, but I still feel like I need a third good title to round it all out (Bloodborne doesn't count).

Holdfing

I think I'm good, actually.

I think the formula has run its course, and I'm happy to see From move on to something else.

I'd rather have no more Souls than a forced sequel.

My thoughts exactly. I have 1000+ hours combined playtime with Souls + Bloodborne, I'm ready for something new.

aravuus

Not too bad. I enjoyed Nioh and I still boot up Bloodborne every now and then for a quick run, but I wasn't really feeling dks3 when it came out, still am not, so I'm not sure if I'd be that excited for a new Souls game.

At least if it's strictly Souls. I'd definitely be excited for BB2.

Persona7

Banned

Why do you feel this way?

Well, I got burned out on DSII SotFS, probably due to starting it literally right after finishing DS1 earlier this year and racking up around 75 hours on both (got to DSII's DLC, got pissed at one area and stopped).

That said, I played part of DSIII (bought on Steam, PC was too fucking weak) and the beginning of Bloodborne (bought on my account even though I don't have a PS4 yet, played at a friend for hours) and I decidedly enjoyed those more, so it's quite likely that my issue was with DSII.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I've waited over 10 years for another proper Ace Combat game. You'll survive, OP.

IrishNinja

I still havent gotten around to old hunters or part 3 yet, so I'm good

also mods pls ban anyone using the nonword."soulsborne", thanks

Top Bottom