• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'How Did This Get Made?' podcast appreciation thread

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Finally got around to watching Furious 7. Man, it was ridiculously awesome. I loved the episode on the movie too.

I honestly find the show kind of unlistenable when June isn't there. Paul is just kind of a mediocre comic, Jason is your typical "throw every joke at the wall" improv guy, but I genuinely never know where June will be coming from. Nothing else I've seen from her is anything special, but she was fucking MADE for this.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I honestly find the show kind of unlistenable when June isn't there. Paul is just kind of a mediocre comic, Jason is your typical "throw every joke at the wall" improv guy, but I genuinely never know where June will be coming from. Nothing else I've seen from her is anything special, but she was fucking MADE for this.

A couple of the best episodes are Juneless. Lifeforce and Toys in particular.

Watching Kazaam right now. This is even worse than I expected. Shaq rhyming disgusts me for some reason.

A white kid telling a black man he owns him does not seem like a great dialogue choice.

These freestyle rap battle scenes at the club are amazing. Its so clunky and unnatural. I feel like the rhymes were written by 85 year old, old Hollywood types who really though they were nailing the vibe of 'urban' culture.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Watched Steel. Man, I completely forgot about the military plot line to the movie and the disabled sidekick. I loved it still.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
You don't need to take others down to build up June. Love June but Paul and Jason are great as well. You are right though... June's absence is detrimental to the podcast. She's very unique. She was also great in Bithe Sesh.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I can't get over the Chewie's grandfather face. I laughed every time he was shown. Also, I can honestly say, I don't know what the fuck the plot of this thing was.

I'm about to watch Death Spa.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
oh man... i dont' know if i can make it through this movie before listening to the new episode

it was real bad last i remembered

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I remember loving the movie. And thinking it was cool. I haven't seen it since I was 10ish.

I've sort of fallen of the wagon, the show currently doesn't appeal to me anymore. Judging by the posting frequency here I am not the only one‽

I've sort of fallen of the wagon, the show currently doesn't appeal to me anymore. Judging by the posting frequency here I am not the only one‽

I'm still a fervent fan. Except for musicals I still watch every movie to go along with the episode. Just watched Bloodsport last night to get ready for the next one. What a masterpiece! I loved how all the dialogue was ADRed for some reason. And I had doubts that the kid that played the young Frank was .. mentally ok .. would be the polite way to put it? Also, what was up with that cat meowing sound during the fights? I hope they bring that up.

They are doing Bloodsport. And this happened:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDKKyuwB-00/

Any idea who that is? And if they're doing this at a live show that means the next ep will prob either be a Van Damme or an action movie too! Noice.

I generally only listen to episodes which cover movies I've already seen or have moderate knowledge of. The Star Wars Holiday Special & Kazaam were the last two I think. Lately, the ones they've been covering haven't ticked either of those boxes, so I haven't listened to an episode in a while. Definitely checking out the Bloodsport episode, though!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jason was on a recent episode of Reply All and was very pleasant.

Ronin Ray

Wow this is my favorite podcast. I didn't know we had a thread for it. Only podcast I have went back and listed to all the episodes.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I was about to listen to it, but listening to the first five minutes made me excited to watch the movie again. Going to rent it over the weekend.

gwailo

Banned
I'm still a fervent fan. Except for musicals I still watch every movie to go along with the episode. Just watched Bloodsport last night to get ready for the next one. What a masterpiece! I loved how all the dialogue was ADRed for some reason.

It was filmed in Hong Kong with mostly a local crew. It wasn't standard practice to film using sync sound until the 1990's because:

1) they film quickly and cheaply, and it is cheaper to do ADR since there is less equipment
2) the HK government did not give out filming permits, so there would be no security except local Triad gangs, so you would have a lot of background noise
3) there are a lot of Chinese dialects, so the film would be overdubbed in Cantonese or Mandarin depending where it was released

You never even heard Jackie Chan's real voice in a movie until Police Story 3 (Supercop) in 1992.

It was filmed in Hong Kong with mostly a local crew. It wasn't standard practice to film using sync sound until the 1990's because:

1) they film quickly and cheaply, and it is cheaper to do ADR since there is less equipment
2) the HK government did not give out filming permits, so there would be no security except local Triad gangs, so you would have a lot of background noise
3) there are a lot of Chinese dialects, so the film would be overdubbed in Cantonese or Mandarin depending where it was released

You never even heard Jackie Chan's real voice in a movie until Police Story 3 (Supercop) in 1992.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Loved the Bloodsport ep (one of my favorite movies), but I was surprised they didn't mention all the cat noises. So I made a supercut: http://youtu.be/Tl5H2wSff8U
Bummed they didn't mention it but I'm glad someone else made note of it. I was wondering if that was supposed to be a horn or something or maybe a glitch in the audio. But I sided with horn cause it seems to only take place when a crowd is present.

Watched The Quest. Whoo boy was that boring. I thought I remembered watching it as a kid and liking it but I must've had it confused with another movie cause I didn't remember any of what I saw. Also, I noticed they didn't do this one live but they did Bloodsport live so does that indicate there's another JCVD live ep in the hopper?

My request for future eps: American Ninja and more Segal

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I watched it last night for the first time, and it was boring. Also, maybe I wasn't paying attention, but there seemed to be no plot.

Literally never heard of it but it looks.....interesting.

I wish they would cover some more modern flops, things like Terminator Genisys and Fantastic Four from last year for instance would make great episodes!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wild Wild West is the worst episode because despite it being a very interesting movie to talk about half of the episode is about a story told a million other places about an unrelated movie.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Literally never heard of it but it looks.....interesting.

I wish they would cover some more modern flops, things like Terminator Genisys and Fantastic Four from last year for instance would make great episodes!

They've done very recent movies before, up to and including launch night. The only type of movies they seem unwilling to cover are modern comedies because they are three modern comedic actors and don't want to stir shit

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wild Wild West is the worst episode because despite it being a very interesting movie to talk about half of the episode is about a story told a million other places about an unrelated movie.
Yep, worst episode ever! I wanted someone to shut Kevin Smith up!

Top Bottom