• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'How Did This Get Made?' podcast appreciation thread

Bummer to not get Jason and June on the Island of Dr Morrow episode, that was a movie made for interactions between them two.

Thought it was kind of a dud episode as it was.

Hercules in NY ep is up. With special guest Abbi Jacobson. <3

GK I'm so jealous you got to see her in person.

Man, that was downright amazing. I was dying laughing from start to finish. Jason is just how I pictured him to be, an asshole lol. June is gorgeous. Her facial expressions during the show were great too.

I will definitely be going to another live show, next time they come back. I took pictures, but my camera sucks in low lighting, so they came out crappy. I'm going to see how my friends photos came out.

Not the best pictures in the world. Paul was mobbed with questions.

Awesome!

Why oh why must you tease me so?

From past experience with other podcasts that means I won't be able to listen to the episode. Anyone know a fix?

This is the first episode I've been completely against. I think they really got it wrong. I think it was a pretty good movie and it sounded like most of their complaints and things they thought were plot holes or stupid were mostly misunderstandings. Every time someone started ranting against something someone else in the room would correct them. It just sounded like they were really trying too hard for this one but eh whatever, to each their own.

NOTE: I will say, I really wish they changed the look of Channing Tatum's character (just nixed the dog boy angle completely) and would've given him a jetpack instead of rollerblade boots.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This is the first episode I've been completely against. I think they really got it wrong. I think it was a pretty good movie and it sounded like most of their complaints and things they thought were plot holes or stupid were mostly misunderstandings. Every time someone started ranting against something someone else in the room would correct them. It just sounded like they were really trying too hard for this one but eh whatever, to each their own.

NOTE: I will say, I really wish they changed the look of Channing Tatum's character (just nixed the dog boy angle completely) and would've given him a jetpack instead of rollerblade boots.

I've never seen the movie, but I thought it was a boring episode. June (and less boring guests) are needed.

Haven't seen the movie, but it mostly sounded to me like they all thought the movie was silly but not really bad. They mostly talked about stuff that would sound stupid on paper and just pointing out that it was funny that it ever made it's way into a big budget movie.

I'm with Fantastical though, pretty meh episode.

obin_gam

I agree with everything they say. It's a fantastically bad movie.

Just a heads up that the documentary Paul recommended to watch in conjunction with The Island of Dr Moreau is going up next month on Netflix. It's called Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau.

Guzim

I recently started listening to HDTGM, and I love it. I actually just got done listening to the WIld Wild West episode with Kevin Smith, and I thought it was very interesting to hear the stories that Kevin Smith told.

As for my favorite episodes that I have listened to, I would have to say it's 88 Minutes, Howard the Duck, and Toys.

Sharknado 3 is coming out in July. Hopefully they manage to trick Hot Saucerman into watching yet another Tyler Perry movie and then let him know Sharknado is what they're actually doing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I recently started listening to HDTGM, and I love it. I actually just got done listening to the WIld Wild West episode with Kevin Smith, and I thought it was very interesting to hear the stories that Kevin Smith told.

As for my favorite episodes that I have listened to, I would have to say it's 88 Minutes, Howard the Duck, and Toys.

same. It has become a regular on my podcast playlist. Loved the awards shows as I wasn't familiar with any of the previous episodes they referenced. Will slowly catch up as much as I can.

I was hoping they'd bring up how totally disgusting Turtles 2 made pizza look. Christ, it was so gross.

That's actually a problem I've had with the Turtles franchise since I was a little kid. I remember being grossed out any time they ate pizza on the cartoon.

mjc

Ok, I'm not really sure how to word this properly. Is June really that air-headed in real life? Like she's clearly smart, but the way she tries to understand stuff as near-literal is super funny.

Guzim

I was hoping they'd bring up how totally disgusting Turtles 2 made pizza look. Christ, it was so gross.

That's actually a problem I've had with the Turtles franchise since I was a little kid. I remember being grossed out any time they ate pizza on the cartoon.

5n3PJZe.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54au0Ve5I50

RetroMG

Ok, I'm not really sure how to word this properly. Is June really that air-headed in real life? Like she's clearly smart, but the way she tries to understand stuff as near-literal is super funny.

I used to wonder about this too, but I think it's probably about 60/40 of her doing it for laughs versus legitimately not understanding something. (Or not working it well, and Jason jumping on it.)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
At the live show, her facial expressions looked like she was genuinely asking. Although, the turtle questions makes me think it is an act.

obin_gam

At the live show, her facial expressions looked like she was genuinely asking. Although, the turtle questions makes me think it is an act.
I used to wonder about this too, but I think it's probably about 60/40 of her doing it for laughs versus legitimately not understanding something. (Or not working it well, and Jason jumping on it.)

I think it's just her persona, been watching Grace and Frankie these past days and the same "straight forward/genuinly curious" -kind of questions pops up with her character there as well.
She's like a Karl Pilkington Light basically.

I think there are some things that June does care passionately (but often nonsensically) about, and then she kind of goes off the deep end when she tries to articulate them.

Like the Monkey Shines episode.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bummed out that I couldn't finish the Ninja Turtles 2 ep. Their guest host's laugh is the most terrible thing in the world. I heard at the start that it was a returning guest, and I didn't recognize him - because I shut off the LAST show he was on because his laugh was insufferable! So goddamned bad! So frustrating.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Bummed out that I couldn't finish the Ninja Turtles 2 ep. Their guest host's laugh is the most terrible thing in the world. I heard at the start that it was a returning guest, and I didn't recognize him - because I shut off the LAST show he was on because his laugh was insufferable! So goddamned bad! So frustrating.

He killed the show, Happy Endings, for me. His character/him became unbearable for me.

This may be the first time I've never even heard of the movie they're covering, never mind seen.

I agree about the guest for the TMNT2 episode. He just came off as an asshole more than anything else. Still enjoyed the ep, though.

Watching Runaway. I love it already. 80s synth music and post futurism is my jam. And they have Wall&#8226;E!

Edit: Even though I got too anxious and listened to the TMNT 2 episode before watching the movie, should I still watch it? Is it bonkers enough that it's fun or is it a chore?

Re: Runaway
These are the tiniest farmers I've ever seen

Wow, predicting compact drones doing police surveillance? Hasn't happened yet but this is prob gonna be spot on one day.

Lol none of the tons of other cops thought to stop this Andy Dick looking camera man from walking into an active hostage situation?

Kinda weird these people are police. Their job seems better suited to technicians or maintenance people.

Ohhhhh man next week's movie sounds like a real doozy. Chuck Norris and a dog vs white supremacists in Top Dog. This sounds so crazy I'm gonna have to watch it to fully enjoy the ep.

Edit: also I should add its a kids movie .. with white supremacists and bombs. Hopefully the dog doesn't get hurt.

Watched Top Dog today. Ohhhh man what a movie. The first thing that has to be discussed is WHO IS THIS MOVIE FOR?! It wants to be a Lethal Weapon or Steven Segal type movie at times yet it also is trying to be a funny kids movie and it fails in both ways. I really hope its not for kids because there is some shocking violence in it - cops being shot point blank in the head for starters.

My notes:
* You know a movie will be good when the title card and intro credits are in jokerman font and the screenplay is by 'Ron Swanson'.
* Lou looks like a human Gooby
* Lou staked out a boat for hours and didn't bother writing the name of it in his notes or alerting dispatch as to where he was or what he was doing. Get it together, Lou!
* The very specific racist rants in the white supremacist gathering scene is making me uncomfortable.
* Why do they keep cutting to the grand son on his bike? And how does he know where to find Chuck Norris. As a matter of fact, why does he even know who he is? He's only had one 30 second interaction with him and their only connection is that Chuck Norris now works with the dog his grandfather worked with.
* This movie seems like something you'd see nowadays on Ion or any channel that airs Touched by an Angel and other vaguely Canadian syndicated shows.

That was probably a pizza dog.

I loved how everyone was cracking up when they saw that. "I'm throwing this dog away." "I'm done with this."

lunchtoast

One of the few times I watch the movie and they got bad audio.

Movie sucked. Didn't get why they showed shots of the kid from Brink! racing towards the scene only to just show up and hug the dog. The kid served no purpose in this movie except for the fairground scene. The fucking dog drives off without him and the kid just runs into the shot with a "oh that dog of mine!" look. He also did that 90s kid "yes!" with the arm when the dog is wearing a fruit hat.

Just finished watching Theodore Rex. Man that was horrible. So bad it wasn't even good bad. That had to be one of the most annoying things I've ever watched. Theodore Rex himself was particularly annoying - there was constant dialogue for him being ADR'd in and it all sounded ad libbed. Whoopi you'd assume would be the comic relief but she was a stone cold bitch the entire time until literally the last minute (where its revealed she's a robot?) and she tells Teddy she believes in him and he's a good cop - even though there's no reason for her character to think that. And the villains plan made no sense. He wanted to create an ice age to kill off everything but he was saving everything in an 'ark' to bring everything back anyway. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone unless you wanted to see it just for how bizarre it is. Its kinda like Dinosaurs, Beteljuice, and Pluto Nash all thrown in a blender.

Didn't know there was a HDTGM dedicated thread!

Such a shame about the malfunction with the recording device in the last episode, I couldn't make it through because of the quality. I understand why they are doing more live shows (all that extra money) but I usually don't enjoy them as much. I hope they do more studio episodes again.

They should definitely leave Sharknado films alone from now on too, and have Scott on for a film that isn't shit for the wrong reasons.

Didn't know there was a HDTGM dedicated thread!

Such a shame about the malfunction with the recording device in the last episode, I couldn't make it through because of the quality. I understand why they are doing more live shows (all that extra money) but I usually don't enjoy them as much. I hope they do more studio episodes again.

They should definitely leave Sharknado films alone from now on too, and have Scott on for a film that isn't shit for the wrong reasons.
Yeah the crowd was chatty to boot so that didn't help. And I completely agree on Sharknado. It's too self aware. It'd be funny to have Scott actually do a Tyler Perry movie.

Top Bottom