• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you come up with YOUR profile name / gamer tag?

Mine's taken from NewsRadio.

Jimmy: "Dave, what do you say we get, I don't know, some young kid fresh out of college to work at the station for no money?"
Dave: "So you're thinking about hiring an intern?"
Jimmy: "Well, I was sort of hoping we could call him a Rockin' Ranger of the Junior Jimmy Bridage. But I guess intern has a ring to it too."

Zubz

Banned
Mine's a shortened version of "Zubaz." I picked it based on the name given to a rejected SFII character that turned into Fighterpedia's mascot way back when. When I found out Zubaz was a brand, I shortened it to Zubz when I used it as a username to avoid being associated with something I knew nothing about... Only to find out that there's a Southern African Hip-Hop artist of the same name that I also knew nothing about when I picked the name.

He's pretty good!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
When I see a box that says "Username" I think of something and put it in.

Gnilres

This BAMF and one of the best sci-fi shows ever gave me my name.

Rod_Serling_photo_portrait_1959.JPG

Rod Serling. Serling backwards

My GAF handle: I grew up playing fighting games, and for a period of time played games that encouraged obnoxiously long (and in some cases "infinite") combos, like Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men vs Street Fighter, KoF 2000, etc. By the time I signed up on GAF, I effectively no longer played fighting games, but I still have fond memories of them and wanted my name to serve as a tribute of sorts.

At first I thought "Infinite" was cheesy, but then saw two GAFers with that in their usernames (InfiniteAmmo and InfiniteNine), so I went with that.

Back when I first got on the internet, I got deep into Super Mario 64 glitching on Gamefaqs. People were doing some really rad things with the game back then, in an effort to either just break things or do speedruns.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
smokey777 ive used this since PS3 launch & just smokey since PS2 days but I've had nickname smokey since I was knee high to a grasshopper its because of my last name my old man was called smokey too. 777 was added at PS3 launch as my number plate on my car ended with 777 so smokey777 thing is i hate odd numbers lol

Also my number plate now is personalized SMOK3Y so i use it too

Took the name of a character of a niche videogame since I thought nobody would use it on xb live!

Turns out nobody used it on GAF, PSN, Steam, Nintendo Network, etc...

So now you know. And if you know what game I'm talking about without searching on the internet then you're awesome.

zsynqx

Well I have my PSN account which is my name plus my favourite number..yup.

zsynqx, pronounced zee-syncs comes from the fact that when I used to play cod4, I used to be one of the assholes who ran around like Tony Hawk using the acog m40 and I wanted to come up with a "cool" sniper name so I created synqx. The name stuck with me and now I put a z in front of it for no reason.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
AfrikaShoxx, my PSN/XBLA name, comes from Leftfield's song Afrika Shox, the song I had in my head the day I made my XBLA profile.

Tiesto comes from the DJ of course, was huge into that balearic trance sound in the mid 2000's when I made my name.

I'm Portuguese, been living in Canada for 7 years now and only a handful of people can say my first name right because of a very specific pronunciation that is Portuguese only. So it's kind of a running joke that even though my name is only 4 letters long, it's 2 hard for people. names2hard4you lol.

ManThatYouFear.
Got xbox live for the original xbox the second BB was in my street, that excited i never thought of a name.
So when it came too set up i was stumped, grabbed my albums with a friend and started looking at my favorite songs..
ManThatYouFear by Marylin Manson.. done.
https://youtu.be/Rthl_O4_G2o quality.

slapnuts

I've been stuck with my terribly lazy tag of "mdsfx" ever since I first joined Xbox Live 10 years ago. The meaning? It's basically just my initials with a stupid X at the end. Why the X? "MDSF" was taken. Ugh... i know it's terrible and completely lacks creativity. Even worse is that I just kept using it (on GAF and Steam). It bugs the hell out of me every time I see it, but I will get around to changing it one day.

But what I want to know is, how did you come up with yours? Random generator? Favorite game? Most-used profanity?

I've seen some pretty interesting member names on GAF. I'm sure there are at least a few with a story behind them...
Women have given it to me, so i just roll with it now hehe

I made a new PSN profile when I started playing Hot Shots Golf again after a couple years. I wanted something different to compare my old stats vs. new. I'd been watching old episodes of ECW wrestling and a goof on there named "Matty in the House" was fresh on my mind. The first thing I thought of was my initials + indaheez and thought yeah that's plenty dumb and rolled with it.

Uh yeah.
One look at my name and avatar.
Im a massive mecha fan and care way too much about Evangelion. Its also my xbox tag:
o EVA UNIT 01 o (feel free to add)
UNIT 01 is just the best EVA.

PSN is RukiaRemix.
I love bleach (Rukia especially)
But since im not a female i threw the remix in plus it flows nicely

Wait what? If you like Eva Unit 01 the best then why isn't your avatar Shinji? Auska piloted Unit 02. I am confused....

Troubled Bat

Troubled: Basically my personality. All there is to it.

Bat: Has to do with me living in Austin, TX. Where we're known for having Mexican Free-Tailed Bats (colony) living under one of her bridges downtown. Plus when we had a hockey team, the mascot was a bat.

So yeah, my username has some meaning to it.

My best friend has a knack for nicknaming people. My real name is John and I wear sunglasses on a regular basis.

An arcade we used to have here on Long Island was right next to the entrance of the mall, and both the entrance and the arcade had big glass panes. This was on the west side of the mall. I walked into the arcade one day with my sunglasses on as the sun was setting and just as I was taking them off, my friend screams "SWEET JOHNNY CAGE!!!!". We play a lot of fighting games, and that just came out of his mouth. It stuck ever since.

Used-ID

I use Rakis for anything I can, and was lucky enough to grab it for PSN. I got it from the Dune series of books.

As for my Xbox and NeoGaf accounts it said it was already taken, hence the "Used ID".

Str8upevl

Neo Member
Screwing around on Dreamcast online and this kinda stuck. No I in evil cuz of the character limit....for some reason I just kept it.

dogiojoe

Neo Member
Originally for 10 years my Xbox live gamertag was dogiojoe. Despite being a female gamer, I didn't want my gender to be out in the open since most female hardcore FPS & RPG gamers got bullied back then.

So at the time I choose dogiojoe which is a mix of two words that have close meaning to me: "dog"- as I love dogs, and "Joe" as I considered myself a tom-boy... Because tomboy means a lot I took part of the joe from "average joe."

But as I got to meet new people and not get bullied over the last 10 years, I decided to get a PS4 after owning all the Xbox systems (I bought all 3 the first day they were available)

In order to play I had to choose a new GT and so instead of choosing dogiojoe I choose my gamertag to something more feminine.

Since I'm a gamer girl from Idaho, I choose Idaho_Gamer_Girl for my PSN account, and changed my Xbox live veteran account to: IdahoGamerGirl

I've never been happier since, because I've gotten way more friend requests then ever before.

Kneecap

Way back when WOW began,I rolled a gnome mage. Well, the toon was so short and I wasn't sure how the game would work so I figured that no matter what I stood a good chance of hitting any mob's kneecap.

Banned
10k was my alias since 2003.

Microsoft and Sony don't accept it so I spelt it out phonetically, Tenkay. That apparently was taken so I added my favourite number that I always wear on my jerseys, 23.

Thus, Tenkay23 was born.

Lackadaisicool

Neo Member
I was "Daditude_" on PS4 because being a dad takes up most my time. My little girl is about to be two. I just got a Xbox One and randomly created "Modem of 56K."

Rewind to 1996. Needed a new AOL name. 3DFX Voodoo was blowing everyone's mind at the time. I wanted 0DFX to be clever but it violated some naming convention for AOL. ZeroDeeFeX seemed like a funny alternative at the time.

Fast forward to 2004, I get a first round Gmail invite. Thinking I had to grab my screen name (someone had taken it on two forums at the time), I registered it instead of my actual name (which was available). By the time I had a second invite, my actual name was taken and I've felt intense regret ever since.

Josh5890

Most of my usernames is "Josh5890". I tried to register here with that but my account was never approved so I used my school e-mail and used Retro4ever. I like that name because I generally prefer old-school games to today's AAA games.

Dare

Banned
I had been a smurf the majority of my "pro" gaming career from 1998-2003. Using a new handle every new tourney or team and just remaining close to my teammates through real name connection and history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEDrU85FLE
I saw the Crazy Town video for ButterFly and thought the guy wearing the d.a.r.e. shirt was really cool and got lots of girls.

I was like 13 or 14 :D

I started playing as d.a.r.e. for the drug abuse resistance education t-shirts that I thought was a cool political statement.

I did lots of drugs.

Eventually I just became Dare because adding .'s to your in game handle is not possible in many games.

I still smurf a lot and am pretty reclusive these days.

My best friend and I used to play tons of fighting games growing up and every time I would get an epic come from behind victory he'd call me Clutch Anderson and it just stuck. My actual name is nowhere near as cool haha.

Top Bottom