• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you come up with YOUR profile name / gamer tag?

mdsfx

I've been stuck with my terribly lazy tag of "mdsfx" ever since I first joined Xbox Live 10 years ago. The meaning? It's basically just my initials with a stupid X at the end. Why the X? "MDSF" was taken. Ugh... i know it's terrible and completely lacks creativity. Even worse is that I just kept using it (on GAF and Steam). It bugs the hell out of me every time I see it, but I will get around to changing it one day.

But what I want to know is, how did you come up with yours? Random generator? Favorite game? Most-used profanity?

I've seen some pretty interesting member names on GAF. I'm sure there are at least a few with a story behind them...

Astarte

Darknightly: I knew a girl who had a name Sunnybrightly so I wanted to be edgy and steal her thunder with my Unlimited Angst Works
Astarte: Named after best girl in Tokyo Akazukin. I always liked how it rolled off the tongue, but everyone just calls me Asstart :[
Zamien: I don't know, I think I was watching something and something had the name Damien but I misheard it
Shiki: Dungeon Fighter nickname, full name was ShikiNoUta.

I use these names interchangably

lem0n

VirtualxRacer: Because I like racing games and VirtualRacer was taken. It's meh. It's also not my original gamertag.

Amputechture is my favorite Mars Volta album.

SugarDave

My friends would call me Sugar Dave when we used to have boxing fights in the living room of one of them. I'd also get called it when playing Fight Night.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I went through the last 500 threads we've had on this topic and put the 5 most used letters into a username

I've been using my real name for everything for over a decade. Originally I think it's because I couldn't come up with anything cool to use online, but now I'm glad I don't have anything embarrassing for all my old accounts.

3AM

Banned
Because i used to stay up late as shit. And something about 3 am seemed.... to be the time i get most paranoid. I didnt get it from a song. so now everytime i find out about a song about 3am i assume they stole the idea from me. fuckers.

I made so dumb its good names in WoW. I used to name characters after things i could immediately see or find in the room i was in. Surprisingly, or not surprisingly i wasnt the only person with this idea so i had to find even more random things. Lamp was taken always, so i did ceilingfan or chaircushion or .. you get the point. It was so bad it was good in my eyes.

first name is john. Idk where I got Multi from though. I really can't remember lol and putting the h before the o was a spelling mistake originally but then I just kinda ran with it

zychi

Banned
I liked smashingbutts, so i came up with buttsmasher.

Then MS made me change it twice, so i added an r each time.

So i was buttsmasherrr for awhile there...

Servbot24

Banned
Servbot24. Mega Man Legends is my favorite series. At the time i was 24, and 24 was one of my favorite shows. Servbot #24 has the trait of "Optimistic", which a song by my favorite band, Radiohead. It all comes together :')

Trago

Was a name I came up with in World of Warcraft on my cousin's account. I wanted it to be Tragic something something cool name, but all that shit was taken. Trago wasn't, so there it is.

RedAssedApe

Banned
been my screen name since AOL in the 90s. initially shared the username with my brother so its a combo of our first names and last name. it also phonetically sounds like something in chinese. that last part was coincidental but just stuck.

First five letters of my last name.

After over a decade of going by variants of videogame and/or cartoon character names, I decided to go with something much more boring for a change.

Jyrz

Neo Member
I used to have some pretty terrible names back when I first got into MMOs way back in middle school, but I had a theme of keeping the J from my name.
Then one day in high school, I was watching one of my boxed sets of Futurama and they had a little extra bit about how the alien language on some of the signs was written. It was some code where you basically assign every letter in the alphabet it's corresponding position number. So A=1, B=2, C=3, etc. And then it was something about starting with the first letter of the word, then for the next letter, you'd take the number for the next letter and add it to the number of the first letter (looping around if it goes over 26, of course), then whatever number you get becomes the next letter.
For fun, I put my name in and got Jyrz. I liked it and I've been using it as my handle ever since. Occasionally, I add on things to the end since some things require a minimum letter count more than 6 or so. I've gone by JyrzRox while I was still in high school, but currently going with JyrzRM by just tacking on my girlfriend's initials.
Not super exciting, but I think it's a fun story for my handle.

foxdvd

I was a massive laser-disc fanatic for years. In the late 90's there was information starting to come out about DVD. In 1997 fox had still not decided to support DVD...and eventually it came out they were going to back a rival format called DIVX (not the current video player) being pushed by Circuit City. It was a DVD that once opened would burn out after 48 hours, making it a rental system. I loved the movies from fox, so back on early dvd forums before you even had to register I started to go by foxdvd. It has stuck with me since then.

Nosgotham

before online console gaming i made my gamer tag by looking at the two closest gam cases nearby when creating a gfaqs account... resident evil zero and 007 nightfire. thus was born XeroFyre007

i joined xbox live in halo 2 the day the nintendo revolution was announced, my name? nintendo rev.
i changed my name to Nintendo Wii the day nintendo announced the name.
i changed my name to Wii Amputee after cutting off half my thumb and index finger.
tnats my name on psn and xbox. my friends call me Wii

on Wiiu my name is DownRightSam, mainly because i used to run a blog at down-rightfierce.com

thats it. nothing fancy

oh yeah, my user name...well shit i love Blood Omen and like batman and i was drunk

Well about that . . .

aDxL0BT.gif

My name is an old Marilyn Manson term. Been my net handle for most things since I got dial up in the late 90's. Used throughout my times working with bands as well.

OmegaDL50

I've always been known as OmegaDL50 as long as I can remember, in fact every reference of OmegaDL50 on the Google you will find is in fact me. (No one else reused this name as far as I am aware)

I had this alias as far back as 1999 when I had my first internet account when I used dial up.

The origin of my name is simple. DL is the initials to my real first and last name but it's also has an alternative meaning.

Omega itself represents Final Fantasy V's Omega monster, and DL was short for Dragon Lord which is a reference to the big bad antagonist of the original Dragon Quest game.

Also interestingly enough Shinryu means Dragon God in English which could also be translated as Dragon Lord

So my alias represents the super bosses of FF5 as well as the original big bad of Dragon Quest as well cleverly alluding to the initials of my real name.

As for the 50 itself. That is the max level one could achieve in Final Fantasy 1 on the NES.

I was a big Square and Enix fan growing up, little did I know the companies would eventually merge so my username has even more meaning then ever before.

Omega Dragon Lord 50 in short OmegaDL50

It may not be interesting, but this is the truth and I'm glad to share.

EDIT: In fact my Steam account is ShinryuOmega, so that's another apt comparison.

My friends would call me Sugar Dave when we used to have boxing fights in the living room of one of them. I'd also get called it when playing Fight Night.

Another David here too, Cool!

<- I like Pocky.

I also use EGBTMagus and |MaguS|

EGBT (Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow) was the Counter-Strike Clan I was a part of and Magus is the character from Chrono Trigger.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've been calling myself LiQuid! on the internet since the late 90's, since I got my first America Online account. I remember I stole the dumb capitalization and exclamation point off the logo of the art studio LiQuid! that was inking and/or coloring a lot of the old Joe Mad PSM covers at the time:

et al.

Doorman

It actually came about from a particular round of Monopoly being played online with some friends. Online I occasionally have to go "DoormanAtLarge" if just Doorman happens to be taken.

Nanashrew

Banned
Kinda boring but Nanashrew comes from two parts. Nanashi, which was my favorite character in Märchen Awakens Romance, and my own UTAUloid Nanashi Zokune. Shrew comes from Sandshrew my favorite Pokemon. Nanashrew has been my current name for games and online for awhile now, since 2010.

The name I had for the longest time online was Shinta125 and for Ragnarok Online it was just Kai. Both named after anime characters I liked, Kenshin Himura's real name Shinta, and Kai Hiwatari from Beyblade.

I was young then but yeah.

Top Bottom