• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you come up with YOUR profile name / gamer tag?

Verd254

Neo Member
Twisted (because I was 14 and wanted something that sounded "cool") -> Verdreht (twisted in German) -> Verd (Verdreht shortened because no one could pronounce it)

And now most people - even strangers - calls me Verdy in game.

PSN: g3ud0 (gwee-doe)
From the word 'Guido'. My aunt called me a Guido and I thought it was funny and made it my GT. I hate it now (especially with the popularity of Jersey Shore). I wish PSN would let me change my name :(.

GAF Name: Lys Skygge
Supposed to be Scandinavian for 'Light Shadow'. I used Google Translate so it might be wrong. Anyways, I'm a photographer and I basically paint with light and shadows :p. I chose a Scandinavian translation because I thought it looked cooler than the English version haha.

Walrus Nostril

Neo Member
I was staying up late playing CS:Source and Garry's Mod with my brothers and I decided to change my Steam name to random things. I switched it to Walrus Nostril at one point and everyone thought it was funny because of how random/dumb it was and it has just stuck since then.

Playing Desert Combat with an organized group as a kid, at one point one of the older guys managed to convince me that I was incomprehensibly static-y through my (very old, very cheap, very no-name) stick mic. I spent about an hour pillaging drinking glasses, shoe boxes, pillows, t-shirts, Kleenex, etc. from around the house, and attempting to use them in various configurations to fix the 'problem,' until at some point, I managed to dislodge my sound card from my computer. I assumed that I had damaged it irreparably and there was much dismay, both on my part, and theirs. Well, maybe a little on theirs. They let me in on the joke, and to my great relief, assisted me in reseating my sound card. I laughed it up in spite of myself and adopted static, or truestatic where the shorter version is unavailable, as my new moniker, as it was much more personal and meaningful to me than my previous randomly chosen xXhardcoreXtremeXx label had been to me.

Mexen

Was gonna name my gaming studio 'Making Games'
Making Games> Meken Games > Mexen Games > Studio Mexen (I was 16 but the name stuck and even my family uses it )

I also go by Spore_777. Spores are highly adaptable (like me) and 7 can represent perfection/completion. Tripling it emphasises my need to do my work as perfectly and as completely as possible. So, basically, Spore_777 = an adaptive individual that always finishes his projects.

I go by spore_777_mexen sometimes. :p

Deschain

Neo Member
XBL: HorTyS & PSN: hor-tys, sort of a weird origin, I used to skateboard, there is a brand called "shorty's" that made a shirt that had the first and last "S"s on the sleeves, so "horty" was the only thing you saw on the chest and people at my po-dunk school always said "whats a horty?" dunno why it stuck but i just sort of took on "hortys" since then...

img-thing

as for my "deschain" gaf name, it's the last name of the lead character in stephen king's the dark tower series which i really dug...

My favorite classical music periods are Baroque and Romantic, especially the latter (Chopin is my favorite pianist/composer).

I'm also a hopeless romantic. :p

Arcane0ne

I ever used the same nick since high school 15 years ago,and his composition is very simple.

Arcano = Arcane + One = Arcan0ne

Thats all.

Verd254

Neo Member
as for my "deschain" gaf name, it's the last name of the lead character in stephen king's the dark tower series which i really dug...

Deschain is a tag I use often as well. Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Love that series, or at least the first four books and parts of the last.

Mentok

Banned
Well about that . . .

Hahahah perfect!

My GAF name was one I used on all my forums since university...I just loved the character from HB: Attorney At Law. My xblive name is a character from the Boondocks and my PSN name is a character from the old cartoon show C.O.P.S. I kind of want to change my PSN name lol.

MegaZoneEX

"Mega" from the Megaman series and "Zone" from Comic Zone, a Sega Genesis game.

Many people think i got the name from an anime called Megazone 23 which i later watched and thought was trash.

Spoony I got from the legendary spoony bard, of Final Fantasy IV fame. Back then I was a pretty big FF fan (during the SNES and PSX gens). I keep it in homage to the classic games in the series.

Hou, well, my Chinese zodiac sign is monkey, which is (as I heard) called hou in its original language. Right or wrong, I picked it just because it's unique.

Many Pagans, Occultists and Wiccans will choose an alternative name to identify within covens, or amongst other Witches, partly as a means of secrecy. When I was 15, I discovered/chose the name Dante Ravenkin. Dante, from the poet; a man who could walk through Hell, Purgatory and Paradise and remain unscathed. Ravenkin means kin to the Raven, as it's been a bird I've long been attached to. An animal totem of sorts for it's wisdom, cleverness, and mythology (Death is actually a very big part of my life).

It was also a pen name but when Xbox Live came out, I went with Dante Ravenkin as my Gamertag. Now, 18 years later, there are more people who know me by the name Dante in real life and online, than know my real birth name.

voty

Neo Member
I made up voty when playing Final Fantasy 7 and named Cloud voty. I've stuck with it ever since.

I remember talking to friends about FF 7 and asked who the heck Cloud was. I had three guys look at me like I was some kind of idiot. Haven't changed a JRPG name since.

Metzhara

Spyre V2 XBL
I came up with this one when I used to work on local BBS. At the time, the "hip thing" was to swap letters (not to the crazy extent that it is now days with 1337 speak but a mild, more tolerable version.) I enjoyed the concept of a spire and swapped out the I and the Y. I had the GT on Beta XBL but got some information all lost (og Xbox kept contents on the console itself) and couldn't retrieve. So... I made Spyre V2 to rise from the ashes.

Metzhara PSN
This one is just mashup. I thought, "What could sound Middle Eastern and Asian?" A mashup I rarely saw in daily life. Ultimately it didn't sound much of either at the end but I liked it so it stuck. That was after I messed up the spelling on another PSN name and I wanted to kick myself in the back of the neck.

BioBooster

Neo Member
My original psn name was UfenScroniac, a combination of the names of two boxers I created in Hajime no Ippo II Boxer's Road mode - they provided a lot of laughs to me and a buddy, hence...

Anung

Un Rama
Anung - I love Hellboy and Lovecraftian stuff so went with Anung. Been running this guise for 15 years.

RefreshingDrink - That Ice T TV cop/rapper/A refreshing drink joke

Contardation - After my YouTube channel.

I have some more that I've forgotten about.

My Xbox gamertag is Cheeseburgla. A guy who was arrested where I work listed that as an alias. It made me laugh every time I saw it. Boom.

Garuda1One

my avatar should explain my username..

Steam, Xbox live and PSN ID is juzstabme, pulled it straight from my ass with no reason whatsoever, somehow love it to this day.

prophecy0

One of the nicknames you could use in the original NBA Street was "Prophecy". I ended up using it for a random user ID at the time and it stuck. I don't really love the name but it's how all of my friends know me online so I've stuck with it.

Edgy Murphy came from something I said during a conversation in class about Pluto Nash.

My main name, isawbluejays (I use it on every other site and service), comes from a nickname I got. I used to walk home with this kid and he kept saying my name over and over until he came up with this. He called me this a lot and I needed a new name for a site, so I picked it. Now that kid gets high in my front lawn at 3am.

NoKisum

I used to produce
subpar
hip-hop beats under the name MusiKon. Needed an alias for gaming related stuff, so I just reversed it.

I also started using the occasional alternate, GenScendo. Pronounced similar to Nintendo, but I tried to throw Genesis in there for no reason. It's weird.

Justinh

XBL: HorTyS & PSN: hor-tys, sort of a weird origin, I used to skateboard, there is a brand called "shorty's" that made a shirt that had the first and last "S"s on the sleeves, so "horty" was the only thing you saw on the chest and people at my po-dunk school always said "whats a horty?" dunno why it stuck but i just sort of took on "hortys" since then...

img-thing

I used to love that shirt, mine was black and white, though.
Black Panthers bearings love...

JustinH because that was the name I got on IGN back in like...2000/2001? I just didn't want numbers in my username.

my gamertag (chinohormann) is an old nickname and my last name. I use that name on PSN and steam now, too, although it's not my first steam account and I can't remember what name I used for that (This really bothers me because it only says I have like 8 years of service).

kunonabi

Took mine from some really bad zombie flick since Dr. Butcher MD just sounds awesome. I usually drop the MD because of space though.

>:)

These days i'm more amazed when >:) even gets accepted anywhere, especially games lately (You cannot use the following characters ^#$Y^^:%>), you're name is too short for our ranking system that you give no shits about anyway, etc). Hell even the internet in general discriminates against my name
O4nUjrn.png

CU76F6f.png

wZywNYZ.png

6MUUL5f.png

:(

All my names have to do with something I was doing at the time and adding Tiger to it (it's my spirit animal). For GreatLord Tiger I was playing Fire Emblem Awakening and had just promoted Chrom to a Great Lord and Great Lord and Tiger sounded good together so I made it my name. For my current Xbox GT, it was because me and my friends just couldn't stop joking about 2 chains, so I became TheTruTiger. For PSN, it was because after a football game I was surprised with a PS3 and when I opened I got a cut and I started bleeding over my jersey with the #22, so I became Tigerblood22.

SalvaPot

My name is Salvador, my first user name was for a Harry Potter forum so it become SalvaPotter. Then that was taken at another forum, so I shortened to SalvaPot, its been like that since then.

Before getting back into video games, I was really into fishing. There was a specific type of fish I loved fighting (our battles would last anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour). Hence, my PSN name in my profile.

Uh yeah.
One look at my name and avatar.
Im a massive mecha fan and care way too much about Evangelion. Its also my xbox tag:
o EVA UNIT 01 o (feel free to add)
UNIT 01 is just the best EVA.

PSN is RukiaRemix.
I love bleach (Rukia especially)
But since im not a female i threw the remix in plus it flows nicely

KRaZyAmmo

It all started on Gunbound. I was dumb kid and I liked Gunbound for it's crazy weapons. and then I just came up KRaZyAmmo. and it stuck ever since.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I smashed my hand on the keyboard, deleted a few letters, added a few more until I had something pronounceable.

My name means absolutely nothing.

I thought it meant anti drop (like water) then I thought it meant troop. Anti troop like how an anti hero is.

It is a mystery.
This was funny in a way that funny doesn't get after a very long time.

Mine came from the original Xbox Live tag name generator on the console. I wanted something Nordic, but I also wanted something that delt with a direction. Northeast sounded good then the generator added the monk. I thought it went well, but it's been somewhat as a tag along name to what I like and buy. I liked Fist of the North Star too, so it added to my name. Now it feels like it's a long name to say and somewhat doesn't represent who I am. Gamer tags are hard to make if you ask me. I don't want to sound like I have a rough edge either and I want some quality to my name.

I went by JinKazama2k in the late 90's before XBL. I guess it didn't follow me. I also had one with Chaos because Chaos was a neat name years ago. You had Chaos emeralds and so forth.

Sojiro

Got the name from Rurouni Kenshin way back in the day when the series first came out in the US. Loved the character Soujiro, which at the time, I had never seen a character quite like him. So I took up the name Sojiro online, little did I know until many years later I actually misspelled his name, but never changed it because I had already used it for a long time. In fact, i've used this name for nearly 15 years for any game I play, with the exception of ones that its taken and I have to figure out something else to use.

bobawesome

deathgodlight (Xbox) - I was really into Death Note...

deathgodgrimmjow (PSN) - I was really into Bleach...

If I could do it all over, I would.

Venture

These days i'm more amazed when >:) even gets accepted anywhere, especially games lately (You cannot use the following characters ^#$Y^^:%>), you're name is too short for our ranking system that you give no shits about anyway, etc). Hell even the internet in general discriminates against my name
O4nUjrn.png

CU76F6f.png

wZywNYZ.png

6MUUL5f.png

:(
How do you pronounce that?

Top Bottom