• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you come up with YOUR profile name / gamer tag?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
GAF name: It's the name of my favourite video game character
Xbox username: gfreaksyosh: It didn't let me take Yoshi, guYoshi, gfYoshi oder gfreaksYoshi, so I ended up with gfreaksyosh. I absolutely do not knwo why all kinds of names with Yoshi in them were forbidden, but nowadays there is a Yoshi on Xbox Live... G-Freaks is the name of the first videogame website I wrote for, the one I wrote for in 2005 when the 360 launched
Wii U username: guYoshi: Yoshi was taken, so I added gu for gaming-universe, the website I frequent since 2002 and I've been writing for for many years.
PSN username: gfYoshi: gf being for G-Freaks again.

Lemonte

GAF name: It's the name of my favourite video game character
Xbox username: gfreaksyosh: It didn't let me take Yoshi, guYoshi, gfYoshi oder gfreaksYoshi, so I ended up with gfreaksyosh. I absolutely do not knwo why all kinds of names with Yoshi in them were forbidden, but nowadays there is a Yoshi on Xbox Live... G-Freaks is the name of the first videogame website I wrote for, the one I wrote for in 2005 when the 360 launched
Wii U username: guYoshi: Yoshi was taken, so I added gu for gaming-universe, the website I frequent since 2002 and I've been writing for for many years.
PSN username: gfYoshi: gf being for G-Freaks again.

fuck yoshi

Marchizmo

GAF name: It's my nickname from my friends.
FPS name: Mart[e], because that's my name.
RTS/MOBA name: Dogdirt, because they won't let me use dogshit.

TheAssist

TheAssist: My first online nickname I used regularly. Back when I bought my first graphics card (a geforce 6600 GT), it came with joint operations. Snce I was a console gamer before that, I completely sucked at playing FPS on a PC. But the maps of this game (150 players on a server) were so huge that I literally did the only thing I could do: Transport people from A to B and get alot of assist points for it (actually kind of a cool idea to get points for that in the first place). So yeah ... TheAssist

2ndBestKiller: Thats my usual "GamerTag", or whatever you wanne call it. After I got decent at playing on PC (e.g. in BF 2) I more and more liked to play Anti Tank roles in shooters. But usually you dont get as many points, especially compared to those god damn medics in BF 2. So I often ended up 2nd Place behind a medic.
Also, being 2nd in line of anything I find to be desirable. May sound weird for some people, but if you look at history and what the people behind the big names did, it get obvious.

Sora_N

Just changed part of my old alias into Japanese sounding. Not that original but some people already stole it elsewhere.

Everyone thinks they know, but they don't. Let's see if anyone can guess.

No, it's not
The Matrix.

It's actually a reference to
Jurassic Park. whte_rbt.obj was the piece of code Nedry used to take down the park.
Since Xbox Live doesn't allow periods or underscores I tweaked the name a bit while keeping the general idea. On the Nintendo Network I just went with WhiteRabbit because I got in early to snag it and just had to have it. :p

Watch_Dogs actually has an achievement referencing it, which surprised me haha.

Oh, and bonus: the other screenname I tend to use is Prime, which is a reference to Metroid Prime. A lot of people think that one is a reference to Optimus Prime, but I couldn't care less about Transformers.

ChrisD

First name, last initial. Pretty simple, but it works. Unless it's taken, which is way too often. That's when I try ChrisRD (both initials).

If those all fail and the name is available, I've also gone as "Not Christie" before. Because it's roughly how you pronounce ChrisD, and people would call me that online to mess with me lol.

Dunan

I'm "Heian Xavier" because I used to live in Kyoto (the Heian-Kyo, or "peaceful capital") and when I signed up for PSN, my grandfather, named after Francis Xavier, was in bad health and I decided to carry on his name wherever possible.

I like the 50s and World War II history so I thought long and hard and got my name. Then I proceeded to plaster it on all my accounts, now it is me and I am it.

NeonDelta

Just two random words I put together

Unfortunately I changed my Xbox game tag to something else then a year later wanted to change it back but someone else had taken it

anderedna

Learned German language, need another nickname for IRC and stuff, picked up andere.
Since it kinda common, reverse the spelling become eredna. Also used for IRC away nick.
Combine both for fun, become anderedna. I've been using this for quite some time.

PSN: andereXeredna since anderedna was used for my R3 PSN account.

I was loooking for a name for a new youtube channel, and looked at my circumstances. I work Constantly, so i really have limited time to play games.

It kinda stuck, and now im just either Limited,Limit or LTG now. XD

Vindicator

Gave my father a flight-sim called F-16 Aggressor as a Birthday-present back in the days. Agressor616 ist some kind of variation of that name, intentionally written wrong for some more understatement.

h#shdem0n

I like hash.

I like demons.

I changed the a to a "hashtag" because I like puns.

I changed the o in demon to a 0, in an homage to my 1337 days.

Bl@de

Bl@de (on GAF) -> Wanted Blade but it was taken. So I took Bl@de because "@" looks like "a"

Martin2055 (on PSN)-> Martin is my name. 2055 should be 2455 (a date on the Daikatana box I randomly looked at when making the name). But 2455 was taken so I took 2055 -.- Yes I was hyped for Daikatana and bought it. I feel dirty.

Septic360

Banned
Everyone thinks they know, but they don't. Let's see if anyone can guess.

No, it's not
The Matrix.

It's actually a reference to
Jurassic Park. whte_rbt.obj was the piece of code Nedry used to take down the park.
Since Xbox Live doesn't allow periods or underscores I tweaked the name a bit while keeping the general idea. On the Nintendo Network I just went with WhiteRabbit because I got in early to snag it and just had to have it. :p

Watch_Dogs actually has an achievement referencing it, which surprised me haha.

Oh, and bonus: the other screenname I tend to use is Prime, which is a reference to Metroid Prime. A lot of people think that one is a reference to Optimus Prime, but I couldn't care less about Transformers.

Very nerdy yet super cool at the same time! Nice one

Lucifon

I wanted an alteration on 'Lucifer' because I knew that name would always be taken. Came up with Lucifon...only for World of Warcraft to then introduce Lucifron a few years later. Now people think that's where I got it from.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wanted to change my username years ago, changed it to something and while typing that I somehow typo'd Einchy and I really liked the way that looked and sounded. Been using that username for about 9 years now.

My reasoning is super lame. Back in the day I went on to try this whole new Second Life thing, and had to make an account. I like the naming in the movie "the Island" (decent movie, with a young scarlett johansson :D). So I was going by as LincolnSix for a while.

However, Second Life demands you to select a last name from a list. I just went down to find one that didn't sound completely shit. Vacano was chosen, and since then I'm LincolnSixVacano everywhere.

Great thing is that name is never already taken :D

Kas

Lego20100 is my go-to, and it was the first name I used in my first MMO, Runescape. I like legos, and I read a book called 2099 the day before I made the name. Lego2099 was taken, so I tried lego20100, and it wasn't.

If I don't use Lego, I use Kasai or Kas because it's a name I came up with for an RP with friends. I always used it, so it stuck.

openrob

When doing music, I didn't have an artists name.
Anyway was recording a backing track with some adlibs and stuff for a local open mic night.
My friend misunderstood this and wrote Open Mic as the artists name in track data. It stuck haha.

I was then known as the rapper Open Mic... "Oh is that a pun because your names Mike?"...
"No..."

Thus Openrob was born. I also just went as "Open" as well.

Vince DiCola wrote the instrumental music for the original animated Transformers movie.
I love the movie, have done since I was a kid and the soundtrack is a big part of it.
Anyway, my old GT sucked and my friend dared me to change my GT to Stan Bush (singer of You got The Touch) but I said fuck that noise I'll be Vince DiCola. Dude at least has a cool name

My GAF name is the title of one of my favorite tracks from Jet Set Radio Future.

My gamertag, "YummierNevada5" was a gift from Microsofts random generator many years ago. Haven't decided what to actually replace it with yet, so it's kind of stuck.

My PSN-ID is a terrible name I made up as a young teenager, chosen for it's certainty of availability. I wish I could change it...

My Nintendo Network ID is "SuperKenny", as a refrence to Super Mario.

DryvBy

I've had this name forever and it's because during the time I was in a bad neighborhood and watched a lot of hood dramas. The spelling of DryvBy was copied from a license plate in Twisted Metal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I had a habit of growing bored of the online handles I'd conjure up, which is why I signed up to GAF with a permutation of my real name. One afternoon, though, I decided that I'd stick with the first thing that popped into my head, and that was GrrImAFridge. Quite often, though, players don't notice the name is actually a few words mashed together and mistakenly refer to me as "Grim" or "Grrim".

glaurung

There are many reasons why glaurung is a great name.

First of all, it has a great origin (Silmarillion), it denotes power and awe. It also starts and ends with a g.

The only place I don't have this name is Xbox Live, because some cuntface squats on it and has not logged in for a number of years now.

Capitan

The one i've been going with lately is Reluctantly Gumblesmug. I just kind of thought of it one day. it doesn't make sense, but i like the sound of it.

AcAnchoa

It’s short for “Aceituna con Anchoa”, which is Spanish for “Olive with Anchovy” (stuffed olive). I got it a few years ago while choosing a name for a character in Guild Wars. I was undecided for the name and just heard my mother asking for some “aceitunas” (olives), I typed that, added the rest and loved how absurd it sounded. The funny thing is I hate olives and anchovies, so in some way I dislike my name.

When not using “AcAnchoa” I use any variation of “cactuar” (the cacti enemies from the Final Fantasy series) I come up with.

I don't have any idea why or how I picked my NeoGAF name.... I typed whatever came into my head. Everywhere else I'm CaptainLoveline, which I got after making the epic title of "Captain Loveline Sexyman" in Persona 4 Arena, and it has stuck since.

Banned
Just a bunch of random numbers with no significant meaning at all.

Why are you looking at this spoiler tag?

Gee

PSN : iamgee

My first name starts with a "g" and my friends at the time started to shorten it to just the first letter. Simple as that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love muffins......and what is better than one muffin?

Yeah two muffins, but that name was already taken. Sooooooo......

;)
I think you win this thread

I have pretty much always been known as SliceSabre on the internet. It wasn't even my choice. I used to play a game many many years ago like around 1998 caled cyber wars. It was a little space game on gamesdomain. Eventually a clan grew out of the game called the Sabre Clan, I was invited to join and given the name 'Slice Sabre'.

Eventually the site closed and the clan move onto Runescape when that game came out. Runescape wouldn't let me have a space in my name so it then became 'SliceSabre' and I've just decided to keep it all these years.

Footos22

footos.jpg

Novocaine

Rolled a Rogue in WoW and needed a name. Was listening to Novocaine for the Soul by The Eels at the time. Just kept using the name.

Top Bottom