• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you come up with YOUR profile name / gamer tag?

Mine is retrobrando across all platforms. I've had various ones but they were always "flavor of the week" names. I decided I wasn't satisfied because they were all wordplay names without any personal signifigance. I'm big into oldschool games as I grew up with the NES and still have more fun with Mega Man for example, today, than I do a lot of modern games, so it certainly isn't just nostalgia.

I cringed a bit when I came up with it but I do that with like 99% of screen names, and my friends liked it so I decided to give it a chance and I ended up liking it as well. It's also relatively short and wasn't already taken on any service which was also a main draw. Except Twitch, oddly enough, but I was able to find a satisfactory workaround to it.

GAF name is just first name, last initial, year of birth.

I love the Resident Evil games back on the PS1 and I really liked the first Devil May Cry. So it became ResidentDante (Dante is the main guy in DMC1).

Total Biscuit was a joke name mentioned in the Discworld encyclopaedia, one of many silly names from the country of Lancre. Apparently I'm not the only person to think it would make a good username online though, obviously.

I've started recently using Stilton Disco since it's my favourite name I came up with for a game protaganist, Persona 3's specifically (I called the Fem MC Cheddar Rave), but can't easily change my PSN ID and the like, so I'm stuck with variations of a name that gets me a fuck ton of grief.

thenexus6

My favourite film is Blade Runner. However annoyingly most people think its in reference to the google nexus 6. Hopefully my member tag on cag "more human than human" helps this confusion.

I liked smashingbutts, so i came up with buttsmasher.

Then MS made me change it twice, so i added an r each time.

So i was buttsmasherrr for awhile there...

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

My name on here is a reference from Blades of Glory. My PSN name is the same as a private plate I used to have on my car.

jaybeeze

To this day, I still don't know what my thought process was behind creating 'jEEborz' for my GT, along with the capitalization of the E's too.

jaybeeze is just a play off my GT.

kingkenny76

Mine is after this legend

kennydalglish.jpg

My PSN name is future102495.

My 5th grade self thought the word future preceding my birthday was so cool...

Curse you 5th grade self!

My gaf name, i always use shorter variations of it for things like steam and other gaming accounts. Mostly SPRidley.
And comes, of course, from Ridley from the Metroid games. My favourite nintendo villian because its a freaking space dragon and he was great in the official manga.
Adding space pirate instead of only ridley makes the difference of not confussing it with other Ridleys, and nobody uses it. SPRidley also rolls well in the tongue (sounds like special ridley or something)

Play on the fact I'm half Jewish (and half Abenaki Native) and heavy into drinking.

Started a punk band with same name.

Thought I was creative until I found out Metallica's first name was Alcoholocaust and there is also a comedian with same moniker.

Traded the holocaust for holikaust and made it my own.

A friend helped me choose it when I needed something for Xbox Live and it kind of got used in a lot of other places.

I feel I've out grown it, primarily because of the uppercase 'i' in place of a lowercase 'L', but I also think it sounds kind of juvenile. I just wanted to be badass.

The best thing about Steam is being able to set it however you like.

MrSamsaZ

Neo Member
MrSamsaZ

In the comic book Johnny the Homicidal Maniac the main character Johnny would frequently kill a cockroach he named Mr Samsa. The cockroaches name Mr Samsa is a reference to the book The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka in which the main character Mr Gregor Samsa wakes up as large insect. So basically my name is Sam so MrSamsa seemed cool and I added a Z because the cover of the directors cut had a big Z on the front.

Melchiah

Kraft (EU PSN) - German word for strength / virtue; "kraft durch freude", strength through joy, and what is gaming but a joy.

Shriik (US PSN) + Sister (JPN PSN) - I've been using both in band related matters.

Melchiah - Taken from Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, which is one of my favorite games.
"My brother, Melchiah, was made last, and therefore received the poorest portion of Kain’s gift. Although immortal, his soul could not sustain the flesh, which retained much of its previous human frailty. This weakness, it seemed, was passed on to his offspring. Their fragile skins barely contained the underlying decay."

Well about that . . .

MzXp1H4l.jpg

Gorgaerea

Neo Member
My previous name was BelgianTerror ... always thought it sounded cool, but hey, i was a teenager. Changed my gamertag about a good year ago to Gorgaerea. Wanted a name with a meaning which was unique, so started googling all kind of interests of me, one of them being Elves ... And Gorgearea should mean "fearsome one" or something along those lines in Elvish (Tolkien)

dealer-

Datsuki - Character called Satsuki from Demon Souls, so just added a D instead of an S.

PSN Name is unfortunately just my last name and a few numbers which i made years ago, sigh - Taylor0786. Would like to change it but it doesn't look it will ever happen now.

Soda Mixer

Neo Member
I was in Taco Bell and saw a kid get yelled at by his mom for mixing the sodas at the drink machine. The kid looked really dejected, and I felt kind of indignant on his behalf. I took 3 things away from the experience:
1. Don't be afraid to follow your dreams, even if those dreams involve mixing Dr. Pepper with Sierra Mist.
2. When I become a parent, I will work hard to choose my battles.
3. My gamertag.

My name is Clay so it was easy. And not taken.

XBL GT : Claytal1ty

Oh, and I've been.playing guitar for like 27 years so of course eddievanclaylen ....

Paasei

Paasei, because my last name is 'van Paassen'. Been called everything that has to do with it. Pasen (old spelling Paassen) is Dutch for Easer.

Paasei means easter egg. Thought it was the most fun name people have given me based on my last name, so I decided to use it.

If it's taken I go with Thazard, Verthus or Velmux. My WoW characters when I started 10 years ago.

I will never use numbers or extra letters/letters with something on them to be able to use them.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Well back when I started playing online games back in 1995 I used to be called Rancor since I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Then when I got Xbox live in 2002 or whenever it came out Rancor was taken so I named myself Rancor TDO (The Dark One lol). Then when I started playing WoW in 2004 Rancor was taken again so I ended up shortening it to Rank. Then when I got PSN in 2008 Rank was taken so I stuck a FTW on the end and became RankFTW.

And that's how I got my name.

If you google rankftw like 90% of the first page is me heh.

Well, I was a huge fan of Toni Kroos and Marco Marin back in the days. Also I really like rosemary potatoes which are spelled Rosmarin Kartoffeln in german. Yes, it´s weird...

Kalliban

Neo Member
Kalliban is a swedish spelling of Caliban, one of the characters in Shakespeare's "The Tempest". I didn't really know that from the start though since i took it from a Swedish animated movie kalled "Resan till melonia" for kids when I was really young. The movie is based on The Tempest, but I just saw this hideous guy and loved him:

caliban.gif

I just heard his name Caliban spoken and wrote it as it would've been spelled in Swedish and it became my nick. Been using it ever since.

angrygnat

Back in 1996 I had a Compuserv account. They would send a CD to your mailbox that had a free month of service. A unique user name was assigned to each CD. You could change it if you wanted, but I liked ANGRYGNAT so much I decided to keep it. It's been my tag ever since.

It's my last name. No numbers added, no x's or symbols or whatever else... Just my plain ol' last name. (Not my GAF tag, obviously)

Curiously, I registered it back when I got my PS3 (about 6 months after launch maybe), and when I got an XB, my name was taken-- I like to think someone saw my psn id and decided to use it for themselves on XBL, since I've never once encountered "user ID taken" before that time or after.

I guess a family member might have claimed it, can't think of any that play games though.

GAF username is some shitty song I was excited for about 8 years ago so it was my username in a different site and it carried over.

PSN/Xbox I just thought Blaze sounded cool and I was fascinated by fire.

I'm usually Beren, but that was taken on GAF so I added one of his nicknames/descriptors.

Beren itself is from The Silmarillion. I absolutely love that book, and have a few things in common with Beren. (No, both hands are intact and not in the stomach of a giant wolf)

Ensoul

Ensoul.

Dictionary. I was just looking through it to try and find a name for one of my created wresters in wcw vs nwo revenge.

Just stuck with it when xbox live came about. A couple of years ago someone random person from xbox live kept bugging me to sell it to him.

Meesh

Meesh.

Short for Mischa, for those lazy enough to leave out the "a".

Been there since birth.

That is all.

Eggbok

Friend of mine would say Xbox Live as Eggbok Lye.
So that ended up being my name for a bit.
Everyone would call me variations off Eggbok or Egg though so I dropped the lye part haha.

Fawk Nin

It's my last name spelled phonetically.
No one could pronounce my actual last name when it was originally that :p
Irish for those wondering. Faughnan.

Top Bottom