• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about white people who are into hip-hop/rap music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
n-SAD-HEADPHONES-628x314.jpg

I'm super white and I've always felt a little awkward about liking hip-hop and rap as much as I do.

My predominantly white friend group finds it strange that I like these genres so much, considering I usually can't relate to the subject matter at all (inner city struggles, black oppression, gang violence, etc.)

I was inspired to make this thread when I remembered this lyric I heard a few days ago when I was listening to the Vince Staples track "Lift Me Up":

Vince Staples said:
All these white folks chanting when I asked 'em where my niggas at?
Goin' crazy, got me goin' crazy, I can't get wit' that

In recent years hip-hop and rap have become incredibly popular among white people, so it was kind of inevitable that these artists' concerts would end up with massive swaths of them in the audience. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of white people think that being avid listeners of a black artist's music means they (at least somewhat) understand what it's like to be black based on their intimate knowledge of said artist's lyrics.

My position is as follows: there's nothing wrong with listening to and enjoying hip-hop and rap as a white person, as long as you recognize that doing so does not enable you to properly relate to black people and the discrimination they face every day in an unfortunately large number of the countries on this planet.

Obviously I'm biased since I'm super into these genres (to the point where I honestly don't know what I would listen to if I suddenly decided that they were off-limits for me) but I think that's a pretty reasonable stance to take.

What are your thoughts?

(I recognize that this is a total white person problem for me to have, wondering if it's okay for me to listen to certain racially charged genres of music)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Why cant music just be music? Its not a white problem you have its a "Ive nothing better to think about" problem.

what.... now people cant listen to hiphop without guilt??

White people are the predominant market demographic buying hip hop industry music currently. Big worldwide market too

op dont worry i think the set of white people who listen to rap for the purposes of pretending to be black is vastly dwarfed by the set of white people who listen to rap cause they like rap

I agree with what you said, anyone can listen to it, but if you can't relate then don't pretend to. And definitely don't say the n word at concerts, people really need to chill with that

Slayven

who gives a shit as long as you are not one of those folks that say shit like "I know the struggle is real, I watched The Wire, and listen to Biggie"

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
White hip hop fan here... never thought listening to anyone's music made me more relatable to them... if anything, it might help you understand another person's perspective, or to understand ideas and opinions you may not even agree with sometimes. Music and art are powerful tools for that, and hip-hop, one of the most expressive forms of art out there is no different. There's a lot of rap music out there that when I listen to it I think "this isn't really for me", but I can still look at it from a creative standpoint and just enjoy it or view it objectively. Anyways... to be honest, I think you can just like what you like. I don't think there's much reason to explain yourself for nodding along to some beats while an emcee does his thing.

Funny, I've had the same dilemma but with my recent love of classic Funk music. I'm physically unable to NOT overthink things. But yeah, I keep telling myself just to enjoy the music, and I do.

I'm gonna try to keep this short.

Dude..nothing wrong with it. It's a bizarre question, to be honest. Man, look..I used to roll with dudes who worked on K St that blasted Jedi Mind with Jewish interns in the car/at corporate cook outs just to be dicks lol.

As a kid, I was, mostly, into Rap. I was also all about Poison, Ratt, Kiss..whatever. It's music..just enjoy the shit.

Pulgo1

A little anecdote- My fiance and I were at a Schoolboy Q show in Nashville last year. It was pretty much a sea of white faces. I can't remember the name of the song, but there's a lyric with a call and response of "fuck that nigga". I had to cringe at seeing all these kids screaming that at the top of their lungs. I really wonder what Q must think about that.

There's a certain breed of white hip-hop fan that seems to emulate black trends in a way that can certainly come across kind of tone deaf (think of any white guy wearing a XXL FUBU shirt and you have an idea of what I'm talking about), but for the most part I don't think the average white hip-hop fan fits that mold and I don't think anyone really cares about white people enjoying hip-hop in general.

question for white people: when listening and feeling a track you like and you're singing along out loud do you say nigga when you're alone or what?

Sunster

A little anecdote- My fiance and I were at a Schoolboy Q show in Nashville last year. It was pretty much a sea of white faces. I can't remember the name of the song, but there's a lyric with a call and response of "fuck that nigga". I had to cringe at seeing all these kids screaming that at the top of their lungs. I really wonder what Q must think about that.

totally against white people using that word in any situation. but why would he do a call and response involving the n word to a "sea of white faces"?

gun_haver

totally against white people using that word in any situation. but why would he do a call and response involving the n word to a "sea of white faces"?

maybe he couldn't really make out the crowd. it tends to look very dark when you're under the bright lights of a stage. or maybe he didn't care.

Makki

What decade is this?

The one where using a black emoji is racially charged apparently.

The only conflict with rap and race is the lyrics, but my take on it is that if you are chanting the lyrics then you should be able to match the artist without being labeled as a racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom