• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about white people who are into hip-hop/rap music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, overthinking shit is a huge millennial issue. There should be a meta thread about it.

Do/Like whatever you like, so long as you have good, honest intentions about it.

Farsi

I wonder how Asian people feel about my everlasting love for Jay Chou, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, and every anime theme song ever.

I could care less... Majority of Hip Hop sales are from whites anyways. Just don't rap a song out-loud near me or I will rank on you for it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was really into NWA and Eazy E when I was 12 but I thought that they were comedy acts like Weird Al.
It wasn't until I got internet access in 1995 that I realized anyone took them even semi-seriously.

LotusHD

Banned
no, i just dont say it

Nope. Never.

Don't say it.

nh6aoyRg.png

A little anecdote- My fiance and I were at a Schoolboy Q show in Nashville last year. It was pretty much a sea of white faces. I can't remember the name of the song, but there's a lyric with a call and response of "fuck that nigga". I had to cringe at seeing all these kids screaming that at the top of their lungs. I really wonder what Q must think about that.

On the WTT tour, when Kanye performed All of the Lights and the "MJ gone, our nigga dead" line comes up, he stops the song and makes every say it as loud as they can.

One example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6MS-Sn7fE

Terrorblot

The one where using a black emoji is racially charged apparently.

The only conflict with rap and race is the lyrics, but my take on it is that if you are chanting the lyrics then you should be able to match the artist without being labeled as a racist.

OUCH. THE CALLOUT.

I love Rap music and am very white gay girl. There's no way someone could convince me it's inappropriate to appreciate music from another culture, how else can you learn and grow and become a multi dimensional person if you're just living in your own bubble like that? I do think that there is a certain understanding with some tracks and albums that they may not be "for" a certain listener, but that doesn't mean we can't listen and appreciate
That being said, I probably wouldn't sing along to certain lyrics in public but I wouldn't myself but mostly because I typically am shy and anxious about these sorts of things (hence the emoji topic I suppose :3).

kikiribu

Depends.

If they're white and racist yet listen to rap, then lol fuck off.
If they're white and anti-racist and listen to rap, cool.

Chindogg

question for white people: when listening and feeling a track you like and you're singing along out loud do you say nigga when you're alone or what?

When I'm singing along, sure. Quoting an artist seems to be fine. But I took the word out of my vocabulary a few years ago.

LionPride

Banned
Don't say nigga

If you only like Eminem or Macklemore I don't like you

If you come to me about Immortal Technique I'm gonna ignore you

GamerSoul

Music is universal. Like what you like.

I'm black, and I love John Mayer and Cold Play. :3 Continuum and Parachutes are classsics.

I enjoy Michael J Fox. His Spin City sitcom was awesome.
I think Family Matters is better than Family Ties.

People can listen to what they want OP. I'm white and my favorite genre is reggae. I get a lot of side eyes when Im singing along in my car to some Morgan Heritage.

Xe4

Banned
If white people could only listen to music that didn't involve black oppression or struggle in some sort of major way as a theme we would be left with... classical and electronic music. And some genres of rock and folk.

No blues, jazz, rock, gospel, soul, rap, R&B, etc. That sounds fucking awful to me because I love all those genre's. Music is music. It's a deeply personal thing in both the way it's made and the way it's listened to. Just be who you are, and listen to what you like.

Also, while the above deal heavily with problems encountered by African Americans and black people, they're not exclusively about that. There are tons of stuff in that music that is universal to everyone.

defiler76

Neo Member
The same way I feel about black people who enjoy Classical Music!
Awesome!
People from all cultures should identify with all others and appreciate art in any form uncensored.

Pulgo1

totally against white people using that word in any situation. but why would he do a call and response involving the n word to a "sea of white faces"?

I wondered the same thing. There were maybe 10 poc to the 100+ white kids. Like I said, I wonder what he thinks. I don't know what his views on the word are.

Hmmmm..I feel like there's a good fight to be had here. Shit. Wasn't there, at minimum, more diversity when it comes to ideology in Family Ties? Was it ever THAT deep in Matters?
I dont think Matters was ever really THAT deep because it was more focused on urkel being pure comic relief but there were some episodes that touched on some serious issues but always did it in a much more comedic way than Ties.

Like this one ..not so funny tho
Is it the better show? Definitely debatable. I just enjoyed Matters the most.

Dont mean to derail tho sorry

Owari

question for white people: when listening and feeling a track you like and you're singing along out loud do you say nigga when you're alone or what?
Depends on the song. Most of the time I can adlib something better, I think that word is pretty unoriginal and overused.

Fat4all

Banned
Depends on the song. Most of the time I can adlib something better, I think that word is pretty unoriginal and overused.

i dont think the word is unoriginal or overused at all, its just not something i want to say

i find ad-libbing another word in its place to be kinda weird, though

like, what do you say instead?

i'm imagining a weird radio edit from the early 2000's just thinking about it

I'm as white as they come and I love rap.

I ad-lib "black friends" when the N word is used. It's so blatantly strange it always gets a good reaction.

I've found "neighbor" to be a good substitute for flow and most contexts.

Owari

i dont think the word is unoriginal or overused at all, its just not something i want to say

i find ad-libbing another word in its place to be kinda weird, though

like, what do you say instead?

i'm imagining a weird radio edit from the early 2000's just thinking about it
Any two syllable word or phrase works. I do write my own raps so at easily for me to adlib based on the song. I also go off in freestyle tangents to the hiphop tracks I listen to a lot. Also, sometimes I like the radio edit better. Kanye's "All Day" and "Gold Digger" are two examples I can think of where the chorus is improved by removing the n word. That's just my personal preference though, as a huge kanye fan that happens to be white. Maybe because the word clearly will never mean as much to me, so I can easily replace it with "you know" or "that dude".. pretty much whatever rhymes.

I'm as white as they come and I love rap.

I ad-lib "black friends" when the N word is used. It's so blatantly strange it always gets a good reaction.

I've found "neighbor" to be a good substitute for flow and most contexts.
I like those ones!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Everyone on Earth should listen to outkast.

Edit- and by that I don't mean hey ya and roses. I mean aquemini, ATLiens, stankonia, and pretty much everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom