• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about white people who are into hip-hop/rap music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seesaw15

Whaaaa? Really?

Miley Cyrus said:
But I also love that new Kendrick [Lamar] song [“Humble”]: “Show me somethin’ natural like ass with some stretch marks.” I love that because it’s not “Come sit on my dick, suck on my cock.” I can’t listen to that anymore. That’s what pushed me out of the hip-hop scene a little. It was too much “Lamborghini, got my Rolex, got a girl on my cock” -- I am so not that.

I was torn on whether I was going to work with certain producers that I really like. But I feel if we’re not on the same page ­politically ... My record is political.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...3997/miley-cyrus-cover-story-new-music-malibu

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/05/miley-cyrus-receives-backlash-appropriating-hip-hop-culture

EVO

I don't have a problem with it but I've noticed whenever I see photos of live hip hop shows in America the crowd is like 90% white. Same goes for the crowd at the basketball. Why is that?

Seesaw15

I don't have a problem with it but I've noticed whenever I see photos of live hip hop shows in America the crowd is like 90% white. Same goes for the crowd at the basketball. Why is that?

On average white people can afford expensive ticket prices for basketball games/concerts.

Laekon

I'm a Mexican in the US who listens to rock and some metal. It's funny and a little strange seeing people react like I have no business listening to it. Come out of my car blasting some old Manson track... it doesn't help that I look generally reserved and uptight if you don't know me. No tattoos, no bold haircut, nothing. lol

"I thought you liked rap." Now why would you think that?

My mom lost her fucking shit when she found out what I was listening to as a teen. Looking back at it, it was stupid as hell cause the Latin pop stuff she listens to is probably more lewd and hedonistic than anything I enjoy.

Listen to what you like.
Living near LA I find this funny. Tons of Hispanics at concerts for bands like Depche Mode and Morrissey or any emoish or rockabilly band.

As a white high school kid I liked some rap but thought anyone only into and into dressing that way in the really white New England suburban town I lived in to be pretty lame. Still struggle with accepting it as so much still seems to be all bitches, hoes, and nigga.

norinrad

One of the strangest things I read was kremlin officials being a huge fan of Tupac with some even having his picture in their office. Hehehe

Omadahl

Banned
I just saw Run the Jewels surrounded by white people who knew every word. Rap is the music of resistance to oppression in all forms and took up the mantle that rock and punk dropped. Listen to what inspires you and don't give a damn what others think. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to return to my new city pop obsession.

question for white people: when listening and feeling a track you like and you're singing along out loud do you say nigga when you're alone or what?

I think the vast majority of white hip hop fans will do this.

OP if you think of music as art, which it is, then hip hop is for everyone from every walk of life.

White people that like the art? Fantastic. Welcome home.

As long gone as folks don't gentrify it by forgetting where it came from.

i know people who don't like rap at all, but have linked me dudes like watsky or that "look at me now" cover by a white girl named karmin. they seem to really enjoy this folks and say like "this is talented" but seem to ignore the rest of the genre.

it bugs me that it's more palatable to them this way, idk.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Tupac educated me about black inner city struggles. I don't think that can be a bad thing.

question for white people: when listening and feeling a track you like and you're singing along out loud do you say nigga when you're alone or what?
Someone on GAF said the white people cheat code to sing that is "fella".

AlexBasch

Rock/metal is for damaged people. Don't you dare go listening to that evil stuff, no no no, especially if you're Latino since everyone's gonna have even more reason to think we're into brujeria whenever we decide to wear anything black and listen to metal at the same time. Dios te ama!
Matando güeros a la verga!

The shirt with that album cover used to scare the fuck out of me when I was a kid.
Even worse, it was really damn popular.

It's "digger" or "digga" over here. Became pretty popular in Germany for a while, especially during the surge of German Hiphop. It's derrived from the word "dicker" (dick = fat), due to the way Northern Germans speak (they usually turn the ck-sound into a g).

BouncyFrag

All the cool white kids say ninja instead.

my-ninja.jpg

KonradLaw

Neutral, but I live in Poland, where there are almost no black people and majority of popular rap music is the one done by white local rappers, mostly because of how important lyrics are in this genre.

Neith

Banned
IDK man I love it when white people like groups like Public Enemy and such. Even though Chuck D's messages is pretty black centered it has a universal appeal to it as well.

Now some white dudes that are so into the rap game that they think they are black, or come as pretending, that is a little annoying. But in general it's all good.

The Pope

Yes we can affirm the behaviour as morally objectively okay according to the God of Salami.Pat yourself on the back.

Black people didn't only create music for black people to listen to. Also not all hip-pop or rap is black. Black people can't lay domain to whole the genre, as white people can't for classical music. Also they wouldn't want to. They would want as many people to hear the messages in their music and they WANT black culture to influence society.

As a white person don't think about how you won't ever be able to comprehend black people's pain. Just listen to the the song and appreciate the genius in it. That's the best you can do, is give credit where credits due.

I sware Wokeness is at threat of becoming a parody of itself.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Well, 65% of the country is white.... so I would expect more white people on average to be at a show.

OP, listen to what you enjoy. If anyone gives you shit and starts acting like some music/art-consumption police, you should just tell them to can it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So?

My black-ass listen to Rock sometimes.
Why wouldn't you, I mean...

rs-197621-84894709.jpg

Do black people ever listen to death metal?
1014137.jpg

(Yes, of course)

Is Slayer considered Death Metal? If so, I like them.
Thrash.

I think Slayer is speed metal.
Death Metal is grindy metal with cookie monster lyrics, hardcore is heavy punk, speed metal is what Metallica does.
If you don't know what you're talking about, please, stop talking :p

Gastone

As a white person growing up with heavy metal,hard rock and 80/90's pop in Norway, i was sadly not exposed to alot of rap and hip-hop. I mean,i heard the occassional Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Tupac etc on the radio and tv, and i enjoyed listening to it, but i never got hooked on it.

Today im glad that im finding more rap/hiphop enjoyable and i have actually started seeking out great artists to listen to. The reason for that is Kendrick Lamar. After seeing various live performances on tv and listening to a lot of his songs, the genre has a whole as become a lot more interesting to me. There are songs from Kanye West, Lil'Wayne, Snoop Dogg (impossible to dislike this man), Kendrick Lamar, Missy Elliot, Jay-z etc that i noe listen to on a daily basis. Some old tunes and some new.

I personally am not a big fan on a lot of the music videos that accompany some rap/hip-hop. I'm talking about twerking big booties, dollar bills flying around, expensive liquor and bling flaunted while lyrics about dicks and pussy are being thrown around. I can overlook it if the song and beat is very good, but it's often. And i like twerking booties and good looking ladies as the next straight guy, but to me it kinda just stereotypes and makes it a bit corny/cringey? Im open to having my mind changed on this subject, though, if there is someone who can shed some light on Why this seems like a norm.

With regards to OP's question. Music is universal and can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of race and whatnot. To even think that this should be an issue is something that needs to be brought down.

I'm very happy about finally discovering and liking rap music more and more and im sure as hell not gonna let someone stop me.

Sorry for the long rant. And i guess some of my artist choices are being laughed at by the more seasoned listeners. I'm all open for suggestions!

barit

I couldn't live without my rap/hiphop in my life and I'm super white .. like blond aryan type white. But I understand what OP tries to tell. I think the most important point is not to lose your respect for the artists and the subculture as a whole. And if you are running around yelling n***** as white person because you like rap and think it's cool then you've no respect for this culture and you're just a stupid (white) asshole imo.

On top of that many fans (mostly from non-english speaking countries) don't even understand the lyrics. They just celebrate the beats and flows and that's okay I think. How do I know this? Simple. Just translate the lyrcis and let them listen to rap in their native language and you will see how many of the so called "fans" will bail out.

"Uhh he says Motherfucker and swears all the time. Now that I understand the lyrics I don't like it anymore"

That's a true story of a friend who is a big american rap/hiphop fan. He bought turntables and vinlys and everything else. He was extremely into this culture. He loves graffiti, wears the clothes, listen to the music 24/7. But when I played rap in our native language he always disliked it because he understood it for the first time. I always found that insincere.

It's music. No need to make more of it than what it is.

I used to regularly go to this Algerian restaurant, and they had some awesome middle-eastern music, so I asked the owner if he could give me a copy of the music. Am I, or anyone for that matter, supposed to read anything into it? It's got a funky beat. And I can bug out to it.

That last bit was a reference to Beastie Boys. What's a white band got anything to do with representing hip hop? Yeah. Music is a universal language, leave it at that.

Takyon

African-American Music is consistently god-tier.
I say Nibba if I'm rapping along btw. Hopefully distanced enough.

Always loved Shad on this:
You’re sly dog, and you’re from Africa right?
That’s amazing. That’s really great, fascinating
See I got fans that say “Oh hey Shad, I hate rap but I like you,”
Well I hate that, but I like you at least I like that you
Like me so I won’t spite you, it’s not your fault you’re a white dude
Likes white music I like too, just don’t be surprised by my IQ

As a white dude, gimme moar!

cordy

Banned
I love that they're into the genre. Love it.

Just don't say the dreaded n word around me and we're good lol .

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
African-American Music is consistently god-tier.

I think the musical DNA of black artists is involved in like..... every music genre that I care about. Jazz, blues, soul, funk, disco, RnB, hip-hop, rap and you could say that's all still floating around in the various EDM genres as well.

I couldn't live without my rap/hiphop in my life and I'm super white .. like blond aryan type white. But I understand what OP tries to tell. I think the most important point is not to lose your respect for the artists and the subculture as a whole. And if you are running around yelling n***** as white person because you like rap and think it's cool then you've no respect for this culture and you're just a stupid (white) asshole imo.

On top of that many fans (mostly from non-english speaking countries) don't even understand the lyrics. They just celebrate the beats and flows and that's okay I think. How do I know this? Simple. Just translate the lyrcis and let them listen to rap in their native language and you will see how many of the so called "fans" will bail out.

"Uhh he says Motherfucker and swears all the time. Now that I understand the lyrics I don't like it anymore"

That's a true story of a friend who is a big american rap/hiphop fan. He bought turntables and vinlys and everything else. He was extremely into this culture. He loves graffiti, wears the clothes, listen to the music 24/7. But when I played rap in our native language he always disliked it because he understood it for the first time. I always found that insincere.

There's plenty of relatively clean rappers who are fantastic who you should introduce people like this to. De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Black Star, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, to name but a few of the classics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom