• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about white people who are into hip-hop/rap music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

As a black man, I have no issue with it and I actually like it since most rap shows what it is like to be black on a daily basis. Just don't be that guy who says what up my nigga. I hate that shit.

Just to add a little to my other post, I find that the less I compartmentalize things, the less I try to find justification for them. #doittodeaf ;)

III-V

A pasty Jewish person, you say?

2060309-beastie-boys-7-617-409.jpg

3 fly guys

rip mca

I am a white person and I grew up listening to rap music. It was just the predominant style of music that was popular with my age group in my area at the time when I started getting into music. That, and the Teddy Riley/New Jack sound that was all over the radio in the late '80s/early '90s. I'm not going to apologize for liking it. Although I have gotten a few smirks or other strange reactions from black people who have caught me listening to it.

In recent years hip-hop and rap have become incredibly popular among white people, so it was kind of inevitable that these artists' concerts would end up with massive swaths of them in the audience. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of white people think that being avid listeners of a black artist's music means they (at least somewhat) understand what it's like to be black based on their intimate knowledge of said artist's lyrics. Same with a lot of the cringy rap from the 00's
No, this is not a recent thing. Back in 2005, 50 cent's fanbase was dominated by rich white teens in their pink polos, bleached hair, and Shark tooth necklace.

DonShula

Representing older GAF here... my predominantly white group of friends were listening to mainly rap in the early 90's and thinking nothing of it. Since then I just assumed that a large chunk of white people listen to rap.

Back then pop was temporarily dead for a hot minute, so it was basically rap, hip-hop, country, and alternative rock. Those were the four kinds of radio stations we had, aside from the soft rock 70s/80s stuff no one my age listened to. It didn't seem that odd to me.

Daingurse

I got zero issue with white people listening to rap. Rap is an extremely popular music genre, and has been for a loooong time. People from all walks of life love rap. Just know that I ain't trying to hear nigga out your mouth, and we're cool.

People can listen to whatever music they enjoy listening to, regardless of the skin color of the person making the music. My dad is an old white guy but all of his favorite musicians are dead black men, because he's a blues guy.

MazeHaze

Banned
I'm white and I am a rapper, I record songs and play shows, I love it.

Music is music, if you feel it then rep it.

What REALLY pisses me off is when people say things like, rap "music", rap rhymes with crap, etc. Like what the fuck man, how can you get so pissed off about a genre of music you don't even understand.

Numb

My son listens to rap. I worry a lot
Tell him rap is whack
He'll understand
I'm white and I am a rapper, I record songs and play shows, I love it.

Music is music, if you feel it then rep it.

What REALLY pisses me off is when people say things like, rap "music", rap rhymes with crap, etc. Like what the fuck man, how can you get so pissed off about a genre of music you don't even understand.
You got a link?

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I love rap. I really like that Eminem dude...

Seriously though, WTF with that thread title? Get out of here. Country boy from Wyoming got as much right to listen to rap as any dude from South Central got the right to listen to Wagner.

RMI

Banned
people should listen to whatever the hell music they like it is really weird to look down one's nose at people because of the genre of music they like.

Cyframe

I have no issue with white people listening to the genre, as long as they don't use the n word.

That being said, there's a disconnect between consuming the music and understanding where it comes from and the struggles being portrayed through the lyrics. Hip-hop and rap are more popular than ever but people today aren't all to keen to hear Black people's plight. But that's another topic.

Neith

Banned
I have no issue with white people listening to the genre, as long as they don't use the n word.

That being said, there's a disconnect between consuming the music and understanding where it comes from and the struggles being portrayed through the lyrics. Hip-hop and rap are more popular than ever but people today aren't all to keen to hear Black people's plight. But that's another topic.

I agree, I cannot stand white people using the N word everywhere. It's crazy when you hear some people talk. I don't even need black people using it around me all that much. As someone of mixed blood I think that the word just has too many negative connotations to keep in general use but whatever. I know brothers are gonna talk with it still, and I'm not gonna correct them or anything.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I agree with what you said, anyone can listen to it, but if you can't relate then don't pretend to. And definitely don't say the n word at concerts, people really need to chill with that

This. I'm white as fuck

Some songs obviously I can relate to, but I never try an fake it or that I even come close to certain rappers difficult upbringing . But most songs are just stories and story telling is what I enjoy, and I hate when people say ' but you're not black so how can you relate/like it'. It's like saying you shouldn't be allowed to watch game of thrones because your not a mediaeval knight

As long as your respect the culture and it's heritage and it's importance to certain movements and don't do an iggy azalea.

tkscz

i'm black and listen to metal, favorite band is Alice in Chains. I got over that awkward feeling of "I shouldn't be listening to music I like because my race said it's not for us." a long time ago.

Neith

Banned
i'm black and listen to metal, favorite band is Alice in Chains. I got over that awkward feeling of "I shouldn't be listening to music I like because my race said it's not for us." a long time ago.

I'm mixed and Alice In Chains is one of my favorite bands as well. They have universal appeal to me.

It definitely makes me uncomfortable. Fortunately the one white person that I consider a friend doesn't listen to it much.

This is also the reason why I'll never go to a rap concert. I'll pass on being surrounded by hundreds of white people chanting that word.

Mik2121

So this is a thing also? You guys are going back in time when it comes to race issues.

Anyway, I'm white and I listen to some rap. I also listen to some blues and jazz very randomly, and at home we sometimes play Okinawan traditional music as background music.
If I was limited to only being able to listen to the music from my country, that'd be incredibly sad.

MazeHaze

Banned
It definitely makes me uncomfortable. Fortunately the one white person that I consider a friend doesn't listen to it much.

This is also the reason why I'll never go to a rap concert. I'll pass on being surrounded by hundreds of white people chanting that word.

So you're uncomfortable with people listening to a genre of music if their skin isn't the right color?

What about hip-hop pioneers/ genre defining artists like The Beastie Boys?

So you're uncomfortable with people listening to a genre of music if their skin isn't the right color?

What about hip-hop pioneers/ genre defining artists like The Beastie Boys?

So my previous comment was pretty general. My issue is more with the oversaturation of the "n word" in today's mainstream hip hop/rnb. Personally, I've found that the more I listen to rap, the more I have to fight to keep the "n word" from slipping into my daily vocabulary, and I know that this music is the reason why some white people feel comfortable using that word.

As a white person the disconnect is both fascinating and immensely sad. It disappoints me that there are people who will listen and love an artist like Vince Staples and still talk about how they don't agree with what BLM is about or doing.

MazeHaze

Banned
So my previous comment was pretty general. My issue is more with the oversaturation of the "n word" in today's mainstream hip hop/rnb. Personally, I've found that the more I listen to rap, the more I have to fight to keep the "n word" from slipping into my daily vocabulary, and I know that this music is the reason why some white people feel comfortable using that word.
That's understandable, but there are also plenty of white hip-hop fans (myself included) who don't ever use the n word.

Edit:. I also don't really fuck with Kanye. Some of his stuff is ok though.

MikeyB

I don't know if Kool Moe Dee anticipated that his album Knowledge is King would be the background music to 10 year olds pellet gun parties in a remote logging town in the PNW, but it was.

We went to work.

MazeHaze

Banned
If you don't use it then how can you reconcile paying and listening to music where it features quite often?

Because I'm not using it.

If black artists I enjoy want to use that word in their music to express themselves, I don't have a problem with it.

Should I have to reconcile watching movies where people use the n word too?

Do I have to reconcile with hearing people use it in public?

Mesousa

Banned
Because I'm not using it.

If black artists I enjoy want to use that word in their music to express themselves, I don't have a problem with it.

Should I have to reconcile watching movies where people use the n word too?

Do I have to reconcile with hearing people use it in public?

If you don't have a problem with them using it, then why wouldnt YOU use it?

This sounds like cognitive dissonance. The word is wrong, and them selling it to people like you in the form of music is wrong, and you know it which is why you say you won't say it. The problem is, you will still give money to people who do, thus keeping it at the forefront of culture.

MazeHaze

Banned
If you don't have a problem with them using it, then why wouldnt YOU use it?

This sounds like cognitive dissonance. The word is wrong, and them selling it to people like you in the form of music is wrong, and you know it which is why you say you won't say it. The problem is, you will still give money to people who do, thus keeping it at the forefront of culture.

This seems like a crazy line of thinking to me. Do you listen to hip hop? Or are you the type of person that says rap "music" with air quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom