• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about white people who are into hip-hop/rap music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
My pasty white Jewish ass has been listening to hip hop for 27 years. The last few years has seen some pretty awful artists become popular, and the older I get the more some subject matter really bothers me. But it's still 99% of what I listen to. Anyone who thinks I shouldn't be listening to it can run backwards through a field of dicks.

Who cares? As long as youre not one of the hypocrites that shit on hip hop as "black music" while listening to it, or quoting the n word in my presence, we're good.

see5harp

This might come as a surprise to you, but the vast majority of people buying and consuming rap music is white people. I went to day n nite day 1 today and I swear 99% of the audience was 18 year old white kids.

My pasty white Jewish ass has been listening to hip hop for 27 years. The last few years has seen some pretty awful artists become popular, and the older I get the more some subject matter really bothers me. But it's still 99% of what I listen to. Anyone who thinks I shouldn't be listening to it can run backwards through a field of dicks.

A pasty Jewish person, you say?

2060309-beastie-boys-7-617-409.jpg

Truant

I'm white and Norwegian. Me and my friends grew up with The Chronic ane Doggystyle. That music is part of who I am, and I would bet it's the same for millions of other white people across the globe. Music is for everybody.

Ronin Ray

I mean for a lot of people you just invited them to a good time.

Also I mean the rap industry has always been bulit on white fans. I remember hearing like in the early 2000s 80% all rap music is bought by white people and always has been.

nkarafo

Yes. Saying "nigga" when I'm alone and quoting/singing a song doesn't magically turn me into a racist as if the word is some unspoken incantation.
Yes, i don't see the point of self-censoring yourself, when there's nobody around to offend, while enjoying some music. After all, it's the lyrics, it's what the artist wanted to say. Who am i to tamper with his art and creative freedom?

Having said that most of the little hip-hop i used to listen is made by white artists (Beastie Boys were my favorites). So i didn't hear that word as much.

roknin

Wut?

Nothing wrong with listening to rap, regardless of your background. I mean, I get where you're trying to come from, but so long as you don't think it gives you the right to blurt out nigga, I mean... who cares?

Music is universal, and hip-hop is a rich culture with contributions from many places and people. You may not be able to identify with the struggles talked about directly, but you can, at the very least, gain a better understanding of said struggles. Hell depending on the artist ya' may learn some shit; lord knows I have.

* Depending on the artist, the struggle mileage may vary.

Anyone who thinks I shouldn't be listening to it can run backwards through a field of dicks.

lmao

It's music. People like music.
How confusing is this to people?

Reading some of the posts here. Wow, people really are confused. Maybe it's good that people are starting to wonder what is racist and what is not. But to me some of the questions sound really weird.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've been into rap my whole life and I'm a white kid from Iowa. I was a little too into it in high school and wore flat bill hats and a few choice Vokal shirts, but to this day I love hip hop and would never give it up.

For those thinking this is a weird question, I get the OP. Places like Iowa you do stick out a bit if you're super into hip hop. Everyone casually listens to the big songs on the radio, but when you got a CD book filled with a few hundred hip hop albums as a white high school kid in Iowa some people make comments. I've heard it before.

Bakercat

I'm white myself, but I only cared for a few rap artists. I listened to DMX, Method Man, and a few others back from the late 90's to mid 2000's when I was growing up. I lived in a mostly white town, but had a couple of black friends that helped me get into the genre. I can't stand rap nowadays because the guys I listened to sounded rough and tough and the artist now don't sound anything like that to me. I started getting more into rock and metal; I found that to be something I enjoy much more.

Eegah

I don't think it's wrong for white people to listen to rap. I do think it's wrong for a performer to be upset at his/her fans like in the OP. These people love your music so much that they are paying you to be there and hear you preform it live, and they are so into your performance that they are responding vocally and positively. I don't get how this person has the gall to get mad at his fans like that.

Bulbasaur

Banned
The whole white guilt thing about hip-hop is so stale. IMO rap left Harlem like 3 decades ago, and it is the music of the lower socio-economic class, irrespective of color.

I don't think there is anything wrong with white people liking hip-hop/rap music. My problem is when those same white people use the n-word like it isn't a racial slur when either it pops up in a song lyric or they think they can use it because its for everybody. If you use the n-word near the wrong person you may get yo ass whooped.

Also, Logic is not white....I just need every white person who likes rap to know this.

This is completely the wrong question.

How do you feel about white rappers, or non black rappers in general? Is the question you should be asking.

There has never been an issue of being racially authentic on the part of the audience, the listeners.

jiggles

Banned
On singing along:

I was at a Kanye/JayZ gig in Dublin with a 99% white crowd and they themselves censored their lyrics, presumably so the white crowd wouldn't sing along.

EXCEPT for the intro to All of the Lights. Where the song was restarted 2 or 3 times because Kanye was unhappy that the crowd weren't screaming "our nigga dead" at him as loud as he would have liked.

Dali

I don't have a problem with it. The only problem I have is people like iggy azalea who have clearly appropriated the style down to their speech pattern and mannerisms. Hearing her talk is almost like watching blackface without the makeup. Their are certain levels of fake that can be tolerated, like Drake, but she's just too much. What's worse is the only reaaon she is even a blip on anybody's radar is because she's a white lady rapping that some people find attractive.

And I can relate to the OP in a certain sense. I recently started getting back into punk and hearing all these "oi's", some of the lyrics, and seeing the skins just make me kinda feel weird. Like I can easily picture a bunch of the racist skinheads and other young white supremacists at a rally getting pumped off the same music, interpreting the same lyrics in a completely different way.

trixx

What? I don't feel any way about it almost everyone listens to rap now days though when I was growing up I'd always here that it's crap music. But back then it was even better!

I'm not too sure if I'd feel comfortable going to a show with even my favourite rapper and everyone yelling nigga here and there. Maybe a few drinks? Probably not.

Hip hop in 2017 is like WWE status lol.

Have a relationship with the music. That's what it's there for. There is nothing wrong with identifying with that at all. Genres are built for the purpose of community. The problem only comes when you misappropriate your relationship with the music and the identity of where that music originated for the artist. They did it because they felt it and they wanted you to feel it, but you should feel it for yourself. That's all.

All my opinion.

As for the "white people shouldn't say the 'N' word," if it is a part of the art of that track or song, it is what it is. (I'm black and I censor myself because I just don't like the word. I also don't care for the word "moist". Shudder.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom