• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you rate the PSX conference this year?

Labadal

It was solid.

Ni No Kuni 2 in 2017 and Nier: Automata in March 2017. Then, they announced Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 6 for the west. Ys Origin isn't a new game but it's a great one. And last but not least, Danganronpa V3.

There were several games I hoped to see more of and they showed them. I don't regret watching the event.

Skeeter49

SIEA noticed Gravity Rush 2. 10/10.

Honestly my only lows were in the first 20 minutes of the conference, and they didn't go on for more than a minute or two. Sony's been handling third party multiplat stuff really well lately.
It gave me more games I want in 2017, and the only thing I went in expecting 2017 was Uncharted DLC. This is the standard for PSX, and every PSX should be compared to this. This had everything I want in a Sony fan conference, they're own version of what Nintendo does with Directs, and was full of life. Something 2014's PSX tried to do and failed, and something PSX 2015 missed completely.

AniHawk

probably sony's best conference ever?

lots of reveals, plenty of variety, and snappy pacing. it was really great.

The awesome trailer to what is one of the finest video games I've ever played makes it a high number out of high number for sure. No GAF I am not talking about Knack 2 smh at youths and their incessant memes.

pswii60

Big disappointment when Megaman appeared, but it wasn't a new Megaman game.

Other than that, very very good for a non-E3 conference.

dresi

I think Sony found a perfect format for their conferences. Two one hour long shows 6 months apart is more than enough.

sense

9/10 Very solid conference and one more big reveal(sucker punch or a new big third party game) could have made it 10/10. I still think e3 was better if I had to pick one due to God of war, death stranding/Kojima walk and Spider-Man even if last of us is a huge favorite for me

9. It had almost everything. Great pace, tons of variety, love for PlayStation legacy, bombs dropped and many Japanese games. The Housemarque game was a personal highlight. My only disappointment was nothing from FROM. Demon's Souls Remaster, Bloodborne PRO patch or a new game announcement would have made it a ten.

There's so much that wasn't there that their E3 2017 conference will be another blinder.

AniHawk

The fact you say that is pretty amazing when we know E3 2015 and 2016 happened.

2015 was pretty dull, bloated, and filled with shit that was years away. 2016 was really well paced though and i think their best conference until this one.

aside from last of us and yakuza 6, there weren't a lot of big titles in this that were obviously over a year away. that makes it really strong in my opinion when it doesn't feel like hype for hype's sake and then the other shoe drops.

Cross post:

Definitely felt like they really figured out what psx is and how to position it as both a half way house between e3s and as its own thing. One or two big deal things that could fit at e3 to bookend the show but lots of nostalgia payoff in between and of course indies. I could see people complaining about remakes and remasters at e3 but watching crash, wipeout, parappa, locoroco, patapon and even knack get announcements that they're coming out of the vault or footage of said games was fantastic and what psx should be about.

Also having lots of coming in the next year dates oppose to the e3 long game view makes sense, excluding the larger bookend announcements Best psx presser by far.

Judging psx and e3, they should really just do these two shows a year and load them as they have.

Raylan

Banned
10/10

So much new stuff & footage:

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
PaRappa The Rapper + Patapon + LocoRoco
Wipeout Omega Collection
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Street Fighter V Akuma Trailer
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Resident Evil 7 Final Demo
Nex Machina
Knack 2
Gran Turismo Sport
NieR: Automata
Ys Origin
Danganronpa V3
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush 2 free Raven DLC
Windjammers
Ace Combat 7
Ni no Kuni II
The Last of Us: Part II

Only "Demon Souls Remastered" was missing. But still..... AMAZING!

Probably the best. Only thing I would have added would have been something more on FFVIIR, but assuming we get a load of new info etc at E3, I'm happy.

tusken77

10/10

It was an incredible conference for me within the first 5 minutes. A standalone Chloe game is a dream come true for me (all-time fave Uncharted character) and something I thought I'd never see. I could perhaps knock a point off for the show's length but the new Death Stranding trailer could've been revealed at PSX instead and that would've increased the duration somewhat, so no point deduction.

Sony absolutely smashed it.

I'd give it 8/10

Negatives

- Knack 2. I think of all the awesome IPs Sony owns that are laying dormant right now and it breaks my heart that Knack of all games manages to get a sequel. Grinds my gears something awful.
- The Last of Us Part II. I felt nothing. I'm still nowhere near convinced that a sequel to The Last of Us, even though it's one of the best games of both last and this generation, is at all warranted. The first one ended so perfectly.
- A lot of emphasis on remasters. Both good and bad really. It's awesome to see the likes of Parappa and WipEout return for a new generation to appreciate, but some new games in these franchises would've gone down a lot better.
- Crash Bandicoot looking a whole lot of wonky in terms of design and movement.
- No Shenmue III.

Positives

+ Gio Corsi. Get this guy up on stage more often, he knows how to work a stage. Seriously, he's a natural.
+ Fantastic pacing. Just like E3, games after games after games.
+ Yakuza 6 and Kiwami localisations. Incredible.
+ Parappa, Locoroco and Patapon are back.
+ Ni no Kuni 2 continues to look face-shreddingly good. Please abide by that 2017 window.
+ WipEout Omega Collection is one hell of a pack for your average futuristic racing aficionado. Can't wait for that one.
+ Gravity Rush 2 actually gets acknowledge!
+ Chloe as the lead in the Uncharted DLC.
+ And another touching trailer for The Last Guardian. I know it's on the cusp of release, but I still can't help but get hyped for some new media.

mejin

It was the best press conference from Sony IMO.

Sure, DAT E3 had TLG, Remake and Shenmue III but the pacing was not so good as this PSX 2016.

It was a hell of a show.

9.5/10.

RibMan

9.5 out of 10. Would have been a clean 10 were it not for the camera cutting to a shot of the room when the trailers start and the host/audience mic issues.

HussiZooT

It started off strong.
Lost its mojo towards the middle.
Got me right back in with the finale.

Overall score 8/10

Disappointed that Sucker Punch didn't reveal anything and we didn't get to see anything new from God of War and Spider-man. So minus 2 for that.

It was good for the general fan but only had a few highlights for me. Yakuza,Nier and last of us 2 were the games of interest for me.

Locoroco and Patapon for PS4 was almost as exciting as TLoU2 annoucement. (Well, heh, almost.) The Chloe/Uncharted announcement was great, too. It was nice to have some release dates for existing games, I'm really looking forward to Nier, and it was lovely to see more for Ni no Kuni. There's about 12+ games I'm interested in, which isn't great for the ol' wallet.

In terms of presentation and giving games a nice shout out it was very good.

For new stuff and being 3 years into PS4 life cycle I thought it was disappointing, it was chock full of remasters, games we've already seen or are about to be released.

It was a good celebration of what we already know and the people there can try out the games and PSVR.

6/10

Corto

Didn't watch the conference only the highlights here on GAF. Wipeout, patapon, TLOU Part2, Uncharted 4 DLC standalone, Yakuza localisation, Nex Machina, Nier Automata and Ninokuni 2 dates, all these make it a superb conference to me. And completely out of nowhere as I haven't followed the gaming grapevine as much lately so all were a good surprise to me.

meppi

Easily 10/10.
Not everything there interested me, but it was a wave of title after title that did.
No nonsense this time, just games and plenty of great surprises both old and new.
They did pretty damn incredible.
Even at the point where I thought, heck only Housemarque is missing right now, a few minutes later the new Eugene Jarvis game popped. :)

Zyrox

Great conference.
Really liked the pacing, was basically game after game and really appreciated the JP games love. We're getting Yakuza 6 AND Kiwami? That's more than I asked for (but I'll sure as hell take it). Ni no Kuni, Nioh, Nier and Gravity Rush continue to look amazing. And, last but not least, the ultimate highlight, the game of the forever revealed itself, bow down to the king, KNACK 2!!! (seriously I laughed all the way through that reveal, Cerny couldn't let his baby go, eh?)

TLoU2 reveal was a nice way to cap off the conference. Great trailer.
Overall, I'd rate the conference Knack/10.

Thud

Except for Windjammers and Ys Origin, I think it was pretty predictable.

I'll give it a

not the last you heard of us/10

Top Bottom