• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long can you play a Switch before your hands hurt AKA how do you hold a switch

That sucks to hear, man. I don't know. Seems Nintendo would have to compromise their handheld's form factor and portability to accommodate your needs. Have you explored any of the grip accessories or anything like that?

I don't own a Switch as previously stated.

And yeah, the whole point would be a design shift that focused on health over looks. It's a hard decision for a business to make though since most people choose looks over health and feeding into and exploiting those bad habits creates so many more avenues for not only Nintendo with their "comfort enhancing attachments" but also other corporations to make more money from.

Also, I just want to reiterate to everyone that it's NOT just about whether or not it's comfortable for you to play long sessions with right now. But that research has shown that it can definitely lead to problems over time.

I've dealt with the problems first hand and I can confidently say that it isn't worth it. I will wait until a healthy solution is at least pushed for and one that is standard. Not something you need to pay even more for which would put people off until they start feeling symptoms that they then seek to alleviate.

IMO the Switch is a step back in handheld mode where the screen is at an even worse position than the 3ds for your neck making you crane it even further down and the weight of the device compounds this even further with shoulder strain as well that gets even worse the further up you try to hold it to alleviate the neck issue.

Not very long, so a friend found a design for a grip and 3d printed one for me. Super comfy.

kalhHod.jpg

The future is here. Now you can just print objects instead of buying them.

Ashtar

OP, do you normally feel finger pain doing other things? Do you sometimes feel stiffness in your hands? If so, you might be experiencing early arthritis. I'm almost 39 and in less than a year I started experiencing finger pains and have trouble playing games that require you to hold a button for extended periods of time. And it's been years since I've been able to hold a portable without experiencing pain or numbness after a few minutes.

I actually made a thread years ago asking people if they felt pain too after holding a controller for a long time and everyone pretty much said no. But back then I just assumed I was just holding the controller too tight or something.

But no, it's arthritis, which means by the time I'm 50 I'll probably won't be able to hold any controller without experiencing shooting pains.
I do and i do most likely have early OA, I also have a likely extensor tendinopathy.
I noticed that just the rumbling from firing my gun in the division became painful so I had to turn off vibration in that game, surprisingly other games don't do the same thing.
I also can't play more than maybe 10 matches of a fighting game because my hand start to hurt.
Has anyone tried these?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUAO202/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Are they any good ?

I'm pretty surprised that my hands haven't cramped yet. I played for 2-3 hours last night and it was ok. But I couldn't even play a 3DS because it would hurt my hands. I actually had to return the system to the store a few days later after I bought it.

Dysun

It's unplayable for me in handheld mode. I put the kick stand on and use a pro controller or just the two joycons.

RedFox85

Those gel grips you just linked, I was going to suggest them. I have heard countless reports that the extra "bump" on those babies helps allot with hand cramps. I don't have them on my switch currently but it might be a near future pickup! If you are in split joycon mode, even though it's kind of weird I like playing with the wrist straps attached, it gives the controller just a smidgen more width which made it more comfortable for long Zelda sessions.

*EDIT

Also if you want a better grip, the grip by POWER A (the red one) is vastly superior to the default switch grip.

ZugZug123

I can play for several hours with no issues. Have smallish hands.

Not to hijack the thread, but I cannot create new ones, how long is your Switch battery lasting on handheld mode playing Splatoon 2 non-stop? Mine is between 3-4h and the Switch does get warm on the back. Just want to know if that is normal.

I do and i do most likely have early OA, I also have a likely extensor tendinopathy.
I noticed that just the rumbling from firing my gun in the division became painful so I had to turn off vibration in that game, surprisingly other games don't do the same thing.
I also can't play more than maybe 10 matches of a fighting game because my hand start to hurt.
Has anyone tried these?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUAO202/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Are they any good ?
I use these. They're great! I bought them to protect the joycons but they also came with some padding for the back of the joycons.

The only issue is that sometimes they move around a bit. But I only had this while playing Splatoon 2.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the minus button is hard to get to as well.
*EDIT

Also if you want a better grip, the grip by POWER A (the red one) is vastly superior to the default switch grip.
Mind sharing a link please? I can't seem to find them on Amazon. Are they for joycons?

Ashtar

I use these. They're great! I bought them to protect the joycons but they also came with some padding for the back of the joycons.

The only issue is that sometimes they move around a bit. But I only had this while playing Splatoon 2.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the minus button is hard to get to as well.

Mind sharing a link please? I can't seem to find them on Amazon. Are they for joycons?

hmmmm well I'll take my chances

I think he's referring to this
https://www.powera.com/products/joy-con-comfort-grip-nintendo-switch/
but could be wrong

T.O.P

Banned
Bumping this thread because of the recent Doom announcement...

Aiming is really uncomfortable to me on Switch, i can only get through 1-2 Splatoon SP levels before i have to stop since it just hurts my right hand

Makes me wish Nintendo would just release a right Joycon with inverted analog position...handheld Doom sounds incredible but i have no idea how will i survive aiming in a game with a pace like that

I only go for like thirty minutes at a time, so it's not too bad. Except for Mario Kart,having to hold down A is way too much for my right hand, so usually two races and then a break.

Turn on auto accelerate and never look back. If you ever do need to not accelerate you can brake, but otherwise its a god send.

I can't really play in handheld mode at all. The controllers are so tiny that I have to move around my fingers in very weird positions to reach all the buttons. It works better if I remove the joycons since I can sink the controllers into my hands in a different way.

Kotaku did an article where they measured the length of everyones' hands and the majority of their staffers had smaller hands than I do and they were fine. I think if from the base of your palm to the tip of your index finger was less than 8 inches the switch in hand held mode felt comfortable.

I almost always play with a pro controller either in dock mode or with it on a stand. The exception is splatoon 2 where I use the two joy cons. I can play my vita and 3ds xl no problem though. What I do have pain and developed tendinitis from was using my Samsung galaxy s5 too much. Speaking of which......

foxbeldin

About 30mn. After that i need to put it down every 5-10mns to stretch my fingers and put my hands in the air for a minute.

Resting my elbows on the sofa/bed makes things a lot worse.

Saw a doctor about that, had an EMG done. Nothing to do about it, for now.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I never had any cramps but apparently I'm those rare folk that never had any problems with any controllers or configurations.

Far longer than any 3DS (sans Hori grip) but still not as comfortable as either Vita.

If I used it more as a portable, I'd be interested in those grips for the joycons. Ideally Nintendo releases larger joycons more inline with the pro controller.

Very uncomfortable for me at times, I find fighting lynels or tougher enemies in Zelda borderline impossible in portable mode. Have to break out the pro controller for those times.

One thing that helped for me is to hold the left side securely in our palm, but for the right do more of a claw with your palm off of the right joycon. This allows my thumb to move more freely and reach the sticks and bottoms. It's weird to have an unbalanced grip, but it works better.

Honestly when I need to go portable (wife using the tv) I mostly use the hori stand and pro controller.

rgoulart

Does anyone play in bed on their back?

Yes, I've played Mario + Rabbids like that for many hours in the last few days watching Masterchef marathons on the TV. After a few hours some of my fingers start to feel numb. I rest for maybe half an hour while leaving it docked to charge and then start playing again.

If i lay down i have to turn after while because either my arms get tired after a while or on my side my arm falls asleep. Mind you this is after like hours of Zelda haha.

It's more ergonomic than 3DS for sure, and I usually don't have issues playing in handheld mode. Oddly enough the weight of the system bothers me more than the size or shape of the joycons, it's significantly heavier than any other handheld I've used. That said, playing on the TV with the pro controller is sublime, and I typically play Splatoon 2 or ARMS that way since they both require lots of fast moments and quick reaction time. Slower games like Zelda or Mario Kart 8 dont bother me in handheld mode.

knerl

The JoyCon's are uncomfortable. They should really have molded them a bit to fit/follow the curves inside your hands. Sure size is a thing, but you can add just a bit of a grip to them and make a world of difference.

trixx

it's can get pretty uncomfortable and heavy. Generally when playing in portable mode I usually don't play longer than an hour and a half/2 hours

knerl

I've seen some rubber grips for the JoyCon's that gives them a more traditional form. Anyone tried any? Or got another tip on a grip that doesn't add too much to the overall system?

Elfstar

I don't even understand how people are able to play with handhelds at all, they're usually so uncomfortable and anti-ergonomic that they make your hands hurt just after a while.

combatboots12

Neo Member
I can play mine for at least 5-6 hours before I start to get pain in handheld mode.

So much better than 3ds for me, that thing would cramp my fingers into little knots of pain inside of an hour.

DESTROYA

While the button layout can be improved for better comfort I've never had a issue and I always use it in handheld mode, never used the dock once.

bomblord1

Banned
I've quite literally played it for hours with no noticeable discomfort outside the weight making me rest my elbows on my knees.

faridmon

I have big hands so there is no problem at all for me.

My sister however, can't hold Joy-cons without feeling pain along her wrist. Fortunately she is comfortable playing it with Pro Controller.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Last night I was trying to play some of the Octopath Traveler Demo and my right hand kept cramping up a little and it was definitely uncomfortable to play. It was maybe 10-20 min. I figure I'll just get used to it over time????

Mostly I use the joycons+grip( will probably grab a pro controller at some point), but on the occasiosn I've played it in handheld mode I've never felt as though it was uncomfortable to hold, and I've gotten in a few 3-4 hour Zelda sessions that way.

ajjow

It used to hurt in my first week.

But after 100hours of zelda and two dungeons conquered, I don't feel the pain anymore.

The weight is what makes it uncomfortable for me. If I play in handheld mode (which is rare due to this issue), I am usually on my back and holding the switch up. I got some grips and they make it more comfortable but they also add more weight, so I took them back off. No issues with the button or stick placements so better than Vita for me, but still not comfortable enough for me to use long-term. I play attached to TV with a pro-controller 99% of the time.

shaneo632

I'm hoping to get a Switch soon and was curious about this, especially as I plan to use it handheld 90% of the time.

Thankfully one of my housemates has a Switch and he's gonna let me try it out for a day this week.

Mesoian

Personally, about 40 minutes.

My hands intinctually use my pinkies as a support for the switch to sit on top of. This causes the corners fo the joycons to push into the center of my palms, which, over time, hurts a lot.

I'm kind of surprised no one has made regular grips for the joycons that don't force the entire system to be in a case.

Bahorel

After about an hour it hurts on my right hand pretty badly.

Also if I'm playing lying down my hands go numb and fall asleep which is kind of scary

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
My hands last longer than the battery tbh

Juraash

My longest play session so far is probably about 8 hours and that was playing monster hunter over last weekend. My hands didn't really hurt and I was playing in handheld the entire time.

The way I hold the Switch is either ring, middle and pinky fingers lightly curled under the joycon or lying flat along the back of the system. I kind of alternate to try and avoid any cramps or pain, though I haven't had any yet. Only use my index fingers for the triggers.

Crayon

Handheld mode can get me in as shirt as 30 minutes but depends on game. Joycons on grip or separated I can play indefinitely tho.

Baleoce

I think the switch's ergonomics are far superior to the vita. Now that thing hurt my hands.

Seriously, vita is so uncomfortable for me. Even with a grip it just doesn't feel right. Like I'm pressing miniature buttons, and literally guessing where start and select are (vita.1.0) because until you depress them it's hard to feel them at all.

bosh

Handheld mode is perfectly fine for me and doesn't get uncomfortable. As another said above have faith you won't drop it and don't squeeze so hard . I think how tight you hold it will determine how long you can play

Top Bottom