• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How mad will you be if the PS5/XB2 don't play PS4/XB1 games?

oni-link

A lot of people were disappointed when the current gen consoles were revealed to lack BC, but given how different the architecture between the PS3 and the PS4 is, it's not really that much of a surprise that ended up being the case. The XB1 has now got BC with select titles, but again it's not been as smooth as some had hoped

Is there a good reason for the next iterations of Sony and Microsofts systems to go with a completely different architecture, and if not (and they go with something similar to what they have now) would you expect them to be BC because of this?

Would you expect PS4/XB1 titles to run on the new systems with better resolutions and framerates, or as they are on the current systems now?

Do you think it makes sense for consoles to adopt a PC approach in terms of hardware, new systems being basically an upgrade that lets you play the newest games, but also your older games with added bells and whistles/performance?

Mildly annoyed

That said, if I have a large backlog of unplayed PS4 games at the end of the generation, no backwards compatibility would delay my jumping into the next generation.

It would be annoying.

Im already veeery happy that at least Microsoft got BC working on Xbone. I hope they will keep that BC approach for the next Xbox.

Architectural oddness won't get in the way the next time around. We've gone through several generations now where console architecture has been quite unique compared to the next systems making emulation nearly impossible.

This gen though is pretty standard stuff so it shouldn't be an issue for the next systems to be backward compatible out of the box.

So yeah I would be pretty upset if that were the case and with the popularity for remakes and the profits from them I could actually see it happening

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
With how successful remasters have been, why would they?

ps3ud0

Ive kinda assumed they will - hell Ive put off a XO purchase thinking the few titles I want to play I just could play on the Xbox One One. With 360 BC it would be bizarre if that BC didn't happen...

ps3ud0 8)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not mad in the slightest. It's not like my PS4 will evaporate and by then i'm probably fiending for next-gen games instead of last-gen ones.

I wouldn't mind the ability to play them on the PS5, but a big deal it isn't.

"Mildly annoyed" seems about right. Backwards compatibility is a great feature, but since I have limited free time I mostly end up playing new games.

Falchion

I wouldn't really care that much but it would be nice, especially since so many people have current gen libraries that are digital only.

Nocturno999

Not mad but they better have an amazing lineup to stop me from playing my PC or last gen console.

Backwards compatibility is very important to me

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not the type that sells off my old consoles when new ones come out, so I wouldn't care that much.

BTW, I doubt we'll ever see full backwards compatibility again outside of maybe Nintendo.

Alx

Not mad, since I usually keep my old consoles and old games if I still want to play them (and even when I don't, actually). Although I'd be disappointed for XB1, since one of the benefits of the virtualization of the whole system would be to make BC easier to achieve (I guess). So it would be a missed opportunity.

oni-link

I fully expect them to not be backwards compatible.

I'm not really sure, I don't think it's something they'll be that interested in pushing, but if the new consoles are to be similar to the old ones, and the generation isn't going to be 7 or 8 years long, then it doesn't seem like it would require an absurd about of effort to get the old games running on them

It would be nice if they'd get a performance boost too, but I'd have no idea if that's even possible.

I'm learning towards not expecting it, but I'd like to think they might be BC

I don't buy new consoles to play last gen games, so I really don't care.

That's all very well, but for example, I don't have an XB1, and have never owned a MS console

If the XB2 comes out and I can buy all those MS games I've never had a chance to play, then that makes the XB2 a much more appealing prospect to me

NoWayOut

For me BC is a nice to have feature, but not necessarily a must have. I'll keep my PS4 anyway and probably buy the remastered editions of the games I like ;) . Bloodborne and DS3 at 60fps!

jmaine_ph

I don't buy new consoles to play old games. I usually keep my last generation consoles for some time anyway.

wwm0nkey

Doubt it will happen, we don't have weird architecture to work around anymore so unless Sony pulls another Cell, we should be good

Late Flag

I didn't care that current gen consoles lacked BC, and I won't care of the next gen lacks BC too. That's not a feature I make any serious use of.

Nothing. Since I am sticking to one platform this generation, I won't be having a massive backlog by the time a new system comes out. That if they still manufacture consoles by that time or I am still alive.

Rosur

Depends if they change architecture again, though I doubt it I reckon they will only real change will be to DDR4 and HMB2 with an increase of APU power so should be pretty easy to keep backwards compatibility.

zelas

Just like the generations before it. I would not care at all. I'd rather just keep my old hardware than have them spend money on such a luxury feature most aren't interested in. Spend that money on better hardware or servers.

Slixshot

Banned
Not at all. I still have my PS3 because money wasn't a problem for the PS4, but honestly, I haven't turned it on in like 6 months.

eFKac

Not mad at all.

BC would be a thing I would maybe mildly wish for, for the first half a year of the PS5, then I'll just want new.

It happened with the PS4, I don't think I've launched my PS3, more than 10 times since PS4 came out and have really no desire to, even though I should cause I have quite a backlog, but new games are always more exciting.

Top Bottom