• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How mad will you be if the PS5/XB2 don't play PS4/XB1 games?

Az987

all good things
I'll still have my PS4 and Xbox One so I won't care too much. It's nice to have but not necessary.

gcubed

I'm not sure I'd care either way besides entertainment value of seeing what kind of bullshit excuse they come up with for not having BC on basically a PC

MaDKaT

About as mad as I was this gen, which I wasn't. I will be disappointed as they do have a chance if they stick with standardized components but it wont be the end of the world if they are not.

On a scale of 0 - 10 with zero being not mad at all to 10 being furious? I'd have to go with a zero. I never expected my SNES to play my NES games so for me its been like that since the beginning of my gaming.

StereoVsn

I would be fairly upset. I have too many consoles sitting there already and I really would love to have some of them go away. PS2, PS3, PS4, Wii-U (will get these holidays) is too many. Unfortunately giving all the backwards compatibility shenanigans I can't get rid of any of them. Well, maybe PCSX2 will finally get to the point where I won't need a PS2 (it's almost there) so I could take that one off.

Still, PS5 being able to play PS1, PS2, PS4, PS5 games would be ideal (maybe even PS3 through some emulation miracles). And yes, I regularly actually play older games despite the backlog.

We're at a point in time where if consoles become "Games as a Service" and they don't offer the same software across different hardware (like PC) then I will assume it is a conscious decision to try and wring out another $15 bucks from me to buy yet another re release of a game I bought before.

Nyx

I don't care about it.
When I buy a new generation console I'm going to play new gen games.

For older games I'll keep my old system.

Henrar

x86 architecture tells me it most certainly will be backwards compatibility this time around.

This will only happen when next-gen will be x86 based and only then. If they switch to ARM (and there is high possibility that they will), then no.

Randam

I would be really surprised if ps4 and the next xbox will be backwards compatible.

How will they sell their HD remakes then?

HUELEN10

Honestly, Microsoft has been doing a lot of amazing pro-consumer moves lately. At this stage, I would be shocked if their 9th gen console wouldn't have BC.

LogicStep

I'd be very annoyed since I don't like keeping old consoles around and since I'm getting all my games digitally it would suck to just never see them again when the new console comes out.

Henrar

Why not Atom?

Atom is made by Intel and I doubt Intel is interested in console space. Also, it has crappy GPU compared to other competitors (and I doubt consoles will ever go back to CPU and GPU on separate dies) which is way more important for a console.

AMD is also experimenting already with ARM, hell, they even plan to supply ARM chips to servers (Opteron A1100). They can create some huge-ass 100W APU with ARM cores and Radeon built in. Mobile SoCs are already reaching Jaguar's power level. All they need is better GPU, which can be done quite easily.

I don't think it'll happen but they should just keep the same OS intact and keep it moving forward with the new hardware.

No emulation, features are carried over, and with Libraries (hopefully) you could just download all of your PS4 games and play them like you would normally from a PS4 folder or even the main dash if you favorite a title.

If it's the same APU setup with HBM2 and just upgraded specs there really is no reason to start all over like they did with PS4.

Take an Apple approach (or Windows now even) and continue to update the OS even after new hardware is out.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I wish games were similar to how Vudu and UV handle disc-to-digital. You download an app, pop in the disc for the movie you want, pay a small fee ($2-$5) and you get the movie digitally.

Why can't I pop in the discs of my older games, pay a fee, and have it available on PlayStation Now or as a PSN download?

Mathieran

Banned
I wouldn't say mad but it would certainly delay my the next gen until I've completed all the games I want to on current generation.

Henrar

I wish games were similar to how Vudu and UV handle disc-to-digital. You download an app, pop in the disc for the movie you want, pay a small fee ($2-$5) and you get the movie digitally.

Why can't I pop in the discs of my older games, pay a fee, and have it available on PlayStation Now or as a PSN download?

That will still require the game to be compatible with the hardware in terms of PSN download (not with PS Now).

Serviam

Do not care at all. Why buy a new console to play old games? New console = new games, I keep all old consoles and play the respective games on original hardware. I'm 34 and can afford keeping all old stuff. Tho I can relate to younger people not being able to afford keeping their old consoles when upgrading.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
That will still require the game to be compatible with the hardware in terms of PSN download (not with PS Now).

PS4 runs BD and DVD discs. All it would need to do is read the discs ID tags to identify it. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be able to go all the way back to PS1.

dr_rus

Architecturally wise, I don't see why they will skip BC.

AMD goes under or being bought and loose x86 license -> Intel asks for $$$$$ and x86 option goes out of the window -> they switch to ARM for their CPUs next gen.

It's pretty easy to see how things may go the same way they did with PPC->x86 in this gen.

Top Bottom