• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How mad will you be if the PS5/XB2 don't play PS4/XB1 games?

Steroyd

I let the PS3 > PS4 slide because they moved away from using exotic hardware to more standard parts, but yeah, I'll be really annoyed if that move wasn't for future proofing for a more fluid transition between future consoles.

Nesther

Wouldn't care at all. BC is something that's cool for a month or two, then people tend to forget about it. I'll just keep my last gen consoles.

It's just really convenient if you want to replay an older game or picked up something you missed last gen. For example I found a cheap copy of Trauma Team recently, and instead of having to set up my Wii, I just pop it into the Wii U.

Also, most TVs have only 2-4 HDMI ports, and not having to switch out cables everytime you want to play an older game is great.

StoveOven

Banned
I just want a promise that my digital library will be safe. However, I always keep my old consoles around, so I wouldn't care too much. It would still be a nice feature though

Zedox

If they have games I want to play at launch, I won't be mad...I don't see Xbox v-next not having BC (I won't comment on PS5 cuz who knows with Sony) so I'm not worried about it.

koutoru

I'll just keep the old console around until I'm done with it.
I still have my PS3 that I plan to use to get through some backlog with.

I don't imagine I'll be mad at all.

My first PS3 was backwards compatible, I played PS2 games on it maybe a handful of times. Same with the Wii.

Once a new generation starts I rarely go back to play older games with a few notable exceptions that I replay year to year. If there are games for a system that I like that much then I just keep the system.

It's the same with PC games, while I can go back and play nearly any PC game I own, I often don't.

Just my 2 cents. I would like to see them be backwards compatible for those that would get use out of that feature though.
With the current architecture I imagine it would be much harder for them to justify if the next systems aren't backwards compatible.

Uxsz7h4.gif

They might as well be all digital at that point...

Brew124

I wouldn't care at all, just like I don't mind having both my PS3 and PS4 hooked up still. Once the releases stop coming on the old one, then I unhook it and pack it away.

dr_rus

I would be disappointed as that would mean that I can't do shit with anything I've bought for PS4 digitally on the PS5 but mad - nah, there is a reason why I prefer PC versions of games when there is one.

I let the PS3 > PS4 slide because they moved away from using exotic hardware to more standard parts, but yeah, I'll be really annoyed if that move wasn't for future proofing for a more fluid transition between future consoles.

x86 is pretty much an exotic hardware in console space.

MrHoot

Pretty mad, but also wouldn't give a dime to them tho.

Looking at PS4's release window and the first year and a half being an absolute drought of quasi inexistant releases (and the few we had were either..remasters, mediocre exclusives or multiplats that play way better on PC), if they release a PS5 with that same output and no backwards compatibility, I don't even see the point unless to cash in on the eternal super gullible console crowd

Wizman23

Banned
Since I'm 100% digital I won't care one bit. I'm 37 years old and have never once gone back to an old console to play something. Backwards Compatibility means jack shit to me as well.

Melchiah

Backwards compatibility is a plus, but not essential to me. I don't generally play past gen games (excluding some remasters) when I can play new ones. Not to mention, that I have barely time to play all the new games I want.

EDIT:
Remasters... this is the new trend and going by sales... we have just begun. They will be around for a LONG time

Well, if that means I get to play, say, Bloodborne in an improved form, I'm all for it.

Maximus.

This may be my last gen, but that would be annoying, seeing as they are using more "generic" parts inside compared to before.

Ya, this may be my last gen, but not cuz of BC but cuz companies are doing more micro transactions ...Destiny is an example ....

Swass

Both systems are setup nicely to retain backward compatibility and I'm sure they will be, but if for some strange reason it doesn't happen, I won't care much as with this gen I still fire up my PS3 if I want to play those games and would do the same if that were the case next generation.

I would be annoyed but if there's no BC, i will keep my PS4 for sure because i buy all my games digitally and i have a lot of games, and that will only get bigger.

th4tguy

More annoyed than mad. Not because of how it affects me. I don't sell my old systems and will pull it out if I want to play with it.
Annoyed because I feel it would be a poor business choice as I believe it would slow down adoption rate of new hardware and would indicate a transition to hardware not compatible with what is being used now, meaning devs would have to redesign and configure their existing tools, slowing down development on new titles.

Davey Cakes

I don't see people being "mad" about this sort of thing.

That said, backwards compatibility should be a big focus going forward. Not enough people place value in legacy.

I mean, PCs are awesome for many reasons. Not that I have a great one for gaming but, fuck, I can still play tons of great titles from the last 30 years.

Consoles need to catch up. I'm glad Nintendo continues to embrace the Virtual Console even if they could be doing a WAY better job with it.

And yeah, it's just convenient that new systems can play old games. We should be striving for convenience.

Depends. I don't care about games but I'd be really pissed off if Sony would tell me something like...
"Dear customer, we're sorry, but due to strategic considerations your 399€ PS4 PSVR set is not compatible with PS5, so please buy the new 399€ one."

in a couple of years. REALLY pissed off.

Raist

Banned
I think the number of people wanting BC, and the extent to which they actually use it, is not really enough to really drive them to make it happen at all costs. It might though, considering it's well possible that future consoles will have very similar architectures. Another way to get around it would be streaming, and there's also things like the VC and remasters, although that's obviously not "real" BC since you can't really just pop your old game disc/cartridge in.

I never really cared all that much about BC. To be honest it's never been around that much all things considered on consoles. It was never a factor before the PS2, and has in several cases not been working all that well anyway.

I won't care. I keep my old systems, and I rarely have the desire to go back and play them outside of the barren next gen launch window when games are sparse. Even if my PS4 could play PS3 games, there's way too much current stuff coming out to go back and play Ni No Kuni

RK128

I understood with this generation of systems, as technical and price reasons prevented BC with PS3 on PS4, but Microsoft impressed me by trying BC with the 360 this year; nice to see a large backlog of games from the 360 era will be playable on X1 this fall :D.

I feel that next generation will be built in mind with BC, as now that the latest systems use the same architecture, there is no excuse for the PS5 and XB2 to not play prior generation games.

I could see Sony not having BC, as they showed with the PS4 they have no issue forgetting BC (no BC with PS1, PS2 OR PS3 games....despite PS1/PS2 Classics being playable on PS3), so I could see the PS5 just have select remasters here and there.....and I will be annoyed if that is the case.

BC isn't something I expect for newer systems, but it makes them more valuable to me. If my Vita for example couldn't play PSP and PS1 games, I wouldn't be upset but I would be annoyed with it.

c0de

If it is 100%, there is no need to keep the old console so one could sell it. In the end it's just hardware that enables you to play games.

Henrar

x86 is still in a whole different league when it comes to power, a few years isn't going to change that.

Take a look at A9X chip then or see the performance of the "normal A9" chip.

Or look at Tegra X. ARM performance right now is mostly limited because of the devices they are in (thermals), not by architecture limitations really.

EDIT: Also, please take note, that current gen consoles do not have powerful x86 CPUs but the ones that are considered low-end, designed originally for tablets. And their performance is actually not that better than high-end ARM chip found in tablets.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Not really mad for the same reason I ain't mad the PS4 can't play PS3 games.

If I want to play PS4 games I'll play them on PS4. If I want to play PS5 games I'll buy a PS5.

Backwards compatibility would be nice for sure but not a big deal for me. Anyway, the way this gen is going there will be few original PS4 games to play on PS5. Too many damn remakes. Mabe we'll get "Not really: The Last of Us (Re-re-master)" on PS5.

I wouldn't care. Once new consoles come out I rarely go back to the previous gen.

I do this too but only because newer consoles lack backwards compatibility. I still have my PS3 but I really don't have any room to have it hooked up. If my PS4 played PS3 games I'd still be buying and playing PS3 games today.

boneso

b-b-b-but how will they be able to release "remastered" versions of games you already own so you can pay for them twice without the lack of BC?

To be honest, out of all the negatives I currently see in console gaming, the lack of BC is one of my smaller pet peeves. The rise of shipping incomplete or buggy games, pricing of DLC and season passes, microtransactions in $60 software, pre order "bonuses", retailer exclusive content, pay to play online, low battery life of controllers, fans not receiving what they request for years (folders, sorting, ability to change name, etc), all piss me off much more. I regret having a PS4 sometimes, even though it was a gift.

I mean, I can't even fucking sort my games in alphabetical order! What is this shit!? Xbox One gets awesome 360 BC and PS4 can't even let us customize our interface?

I hate how consoles are not these "plug and play" machines anymore. If you're going to function similar to a PC, at least let us get a better interface with more consumer friendly practices.

I'm mad, but it's not because of BC 👿

I'll shrug and continue not caring, not one console has ever been without BC issues (even the Wii, Nintendo blocked Action Replay & Freeloader) so I've always had the need to keep the older consoles around anyway.

eXistor

Not at all. While I understand it's a big deal for some, it's a non-issue for me. I just don't get rid of my old systems.

Ombala

I wont be mad at all but it will mean I will join that generation later because I will have a huge backlogg from this gen left too play.
Just like I now from last gen on PS3.

Piers

Less annoyed than people spending money on a next-gen system and immediately wanting to play previous gen-titles. Hold on to the older console if that's the case, then sell it later when more games arrive for the current-gen console.

Krabboss

What PS4/XB1 games? There's like 3 worthwhile exclusives at this point, provided you're really into bog standard AAA games.

Both Microsoft and Sony don't want to do BC. Microsofts hand was forced this time around by being beaten so badly by Sony.

Both parties (and publishers) have a financial gain by NOT implementing BC. Why let you play old games when they can be remade/updated for low cost and high profit? The margins on these remakes are so much higher than on new AAA titles. And knowing most of the publishers, they factor that into their business. This gives them breathing room.

So both consoles will NOT launch with BC, unless their business model changes drastically.

Also, any time you spend on playing "old" games that you already had, can't be used to play these new games you have to pay for.

Not mad one bit.I keep all my consoles and games so if i want to play an older game i play it designed for the original console.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It depends on two factors:
(1) How long should I expect my Xbone to live? If the build quality is high and Xbone continues to run perfectly well, then it's fine, but if it turns out to be shoddy again, I will need a replacement and I'd not be happy if the next Xbox couldn't be said replacement.
(2) Will I continue to buy Xbox over PS? If I get a PS5 instead of an Xbox 4, I'd really like to have it bc in order to also play whatever I may have missed on PS4.

Madness

Mildly upset. Especially because this generation feels like a stopgap for me. All these damn games I have to install. The next consoles are going to have some kind of Blu-ray drive just for media capabilities. I expect to be able to play these games.

I'll be more concerned about the price point than whether or not they can play last-gen games. Backwards compatibility would be very nice though. I'm actually quite excited right now at the prospect of PS1 and PS2 Classics coming to the PS4 and maybe more (emulation?). I just hope those rumours come to fruition and we're not just getting our arses tickled.

Like i said: i wouldn't care. Bit i don't understand why they don't just update the hardware to the newest iterations and keep the same architecture. A bit like with PC and ipads.. This way BC will be almost automaticly ensured.

Top Bottom