• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How mad will you be if the PS5/XB2 don't play PS4/XB1 games?

Echoing what was said before. They're basically x86 PCs, a lack of BC would essentially mean that MS or Sony didn't put it in there on purpose.

Trup1aya

Slightly annoyed... I had to hold onto my 360 longer than I wanted to... I still had games on it that I wanted to play with my friends namely GTAV and PVZ... So I had to video game boxes under my TV instead of one and had to switch between them instead of being able to do everything in one place...

More people have upgraded, so I sold my 360...

I'm sure similar situations will arise next gen unless the consoles are BC

Unless your console dies, consoles are not built like the NES any more, if you think your PS3/4 or 360/XB1 is going to work in 10 years time, you might end up disappointed

I don't need BC, but I'd be thrilled if we get it. It's one less box under the TV, one less set of wires, a few less controllers lying around, less things to dust

One of the best things about PC is you can buy a decent PC then have access to games from the last 30 years. Why wouldn't you want a PS5 that has a PSN stocked full of PS1/2/3/4 games?

This is pretty much how I feel about it. In the end it probably isn't a total dealbreaker if there's no BC, but it's definitely a decently-sized contributor to my purchasing decisions.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Not at all. I expect not to have backwards compatibility which is why I build my library on PC. For games that I buy on console I just end up selling with the expectation that they are basically useless a few years after the generation ends.

Not a big deal for me, but it'll just mean slower adoption of the consoles for me. If they can play my whole library I'll probabyl adopt the new consoles immediately. If they can't then I'm going to adopt one day, but not right away. If one supports a back catalogue and th eother doesn't, then I will buy that console first.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Honestly I stopped caring about BC after last gen, I barely used it. Like others said I don't sell my consoles anyway.

Based on where the Xbox division is right now, and where Phil is taking it, I 100% expect the successor to the Xbox One to have full backwards compatibility with Xbox One, and I also thinks there's a very high chance of it also continuing 360 BC.

For Sony, since the PS4 is x86, I expect the PS5 to also be x86, and think there's a pretty good chance (though not as confident as I am with Xbox) it will support bc with PS4.

At this point in time, I would be quite upset if the I wasn't able to access my current games on a future hardware system. I've been very pleased with the preview of 360 BC on Xbox One. I've also gone 100% digital, when I plug in my "XB2" and login with my account, I want all my owned digital Xbox games to immediately show up for download.

I think both Sony and MS would be heavily incentivized to have BC with the past consoles when launching PS5/XB2. This is the first gen where it's really been feasible to be 100% digital with game purchases (from the start of the gen). A consumer would be faced with: being able to have all your past content ready to play/download vs starting fresh on a new platform.

Between the fact that almost all third party games are getting PC versions and thats where I am buying them, I wouldnt be too miffed. With the exception of 1-2 franchises, neither console make has exclusives that I am too in love with.

I wouldn't be mad but I'd certainly be disappointed. Even though I keep my original consoles I still prefer being able to move my library with me to the new hardware/ecosystem. Having just a couple 360 games on my XB1 that I can play with a better controller and a couple little things like the ability to capture screenshots has been great so far. Not having the feature in the first place didn't stop me from buying the console but I'm happy to see it eventually happen.

I think at least half of the time I put into my Vita was playing PSP/PS1 titles even though I still have multiple iterations of the PSP laying around. To a lesser extent the same goes for original Xbox titles on the 360 (where available). Having everything in one place with minor improvements (such as a 360 controller on OG Xbox games) goes a long way for me.

I mean... I have a PS4 right? Just like now with my PS3. If I ever have a reason to go back, I just plug it in and play. Better than having it catch dust in my closet. So I wouldn't be mad at all.

I wouldn't care as I'll probably play all the games I want by the end. I'm only salty about not being able to play PS3 games because I wasn't a big fan of the system and I moved a lot. I want to play nier and the HD kingdom hearts games so bad though.

witness

I will be annoyed but I'm keeping both my consoles regardless because I've spent way too much money to get rid of them.

While backwards compatibility is a nice feature in theory, I wouldn't care at all. I still have my PS3 and 360 hooked up and can count the number of times I've booted either of them up in the last 2 years on 1 hand.

I know I speak for myself but I buy new consoles to play new games. Not games from last gen. If I wanted to play games from previous gen games then I would keep my old console.

oni-link

Not a big deal for me, but it'll just mean slower adoption of the consoles for me. If they can play my whole library I'll probabyl adopt the new consoles immediately. If they can't then I'm going to adopt one day, but not right away. If one supports a back catalogue and th eother doesn't, then I will buy that console first.

This is where I'm at, still only have a PS3 & Wii U right now, and still have tons to play, the longer it takes me to get to all those games, the cheaper the PS4 and it's games get, I'm in no rush and I'm never without a game I want to play

If I could play PS3 games on PS4 I'd have a PS4 by now

A lot of people not upgrading right away probably resulted in this almost 2 year long cross gen period as well (though it is starting to tail off now)

farisr

Seeing as ps4/xbone architecture is x86 based now, not being BC next gen would mean that Sony and MS didn't put it there on purpose rather than what Sony's current situation is right now with the ps3 bc (the architecture being too complex to emulate with PS4's current capabilities). I'm actually still kind of upset at sony for not having implemented ps1/ps2 bc yet as the ps4 is powerful enough to do that, but if the rumors are correct that may be announced soon.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Annoyed but I'll live with it. I think it makes far more sense this time around to include backwards compability, though.

Bowl0l

PS4 taught me a lesson.
If Sony official distributor is selling next gen console the highest/2nd highest price in the world, wait a few months and the price will drop a lot.
Expect very small amount of games at the 1st 2 years.

Buy next gen console at the 2nd year!
Don't sell your previous console unless you have to.

Based on where the Xbox division is right now, and where Phil is taking it, I 100% expect the successor to the Xbox One to have full backwards compatibility with Xbox One, and I also thinks there's a very high chance of it also continuing 360 BC.

For Sony, since the PS4 is x86, I expect the PS5 to also be x86, and think there's a pretty good chance (though not as confident as I am with Xbox) it will support bc with PS4.

At this point in time, I would be quite upset if the I wasn't able to access my current games on a future hardware system. I've been very pleased with the preview of 360 BC on Xbox One. I've also gone 100% digital, when I plug in my "XB2" and login with my account, I want all my owned digital Xbox games to immediately show up for download.

I think both Sony and MS would be heavily incentivized to have BC with the past consoles when launching PS5/XB2. This is the first gen where it's really been feasible to be 100% digital with game purchases (from the start of the gen). A consumer would be faced with: being able to have all your past content ready to play/download vs starting fresh on a new platform.

I agree with this.

It looks like that is the direction MS are going, and where one goes, the other usually follows.

Not gonna happen

What would be the point of converting to x86 if they didnt want to avoid costly BC going forward

I would be mindboggled if they went with an architecture that couldnt handle it

Don't hold your breath, Sony and Microsoft found a way to sell people their own shoes and the demographics they cater have happily accepted it ("but, but, definitive edition, man!).

Why let you play a game you already own, when they can sell it to you again, more expensive and hopefully running as it should had in the first place?

Anth0ny

not mad at all. I've been fine with PS4 and Xbone not having BC, and I haven't used Wii U's or 3DS BC.

looking forward to Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 HD remaster for PS5.

Sony can fuck right off if they expect me to own a PS3, PS4, and a PS5 at the same time.

I own a PS1, 2, 3 and 4 at the same time. it's pretty fun =)

BONDO

Backwards conpat is nice especilly in the beginnning of the consoles life. After that initial change i can really careless....so no, dont care for it...especially if it brings the console price down some.
I keep my old consoles also

Pokemaniac

The general lack of BC in the PS4 and, to a lesser extent, Xbone is one of the larger reasons why I don't own either yet. Neither of their libraries is particularly appealing on their own, so I'd need the extra games provided by BC to justify the purchase.

x86 is still in a whole different league when it comes to power, a few years isn't going to change that.

Based on some discussion in the current NX thread, I'm not sure the difference is as big as you think. The general consensus seems to be that matching the PS4/Xbone CPUs with an ARM chip would be a non-issue.

I've just assumed the "best" games from previous generations will be remade and remade throughout the ages.
Like some sort of Bradburian tale of digital progeny and natural selection.

Will rebuy Bloodborne.

ViciousDS

Banned
Ive kinda assumed they will - hell Ive put off a XO purchase thinking the few titles I want to play I just could play on the Xbox One One. With 360 BC it would be bizarre if that BC didn't happen...

ps3ud0 8)

3868727-confused+yo.gif

do you mean OG Xbox Ps3ud0? You threw me for a loop there lol.

Ploid 3.0

Being able to sell a game again with no work is cheaper than being able to sell a game again with the effort of remastering it.

And remasters usually look and play a lot better than a BC game would.

For me I liked BC when I got new systems as a kid. I would have a brand new system and one game. For PS1 to PS2 I was able to sell the console allowing me to get that one game and still be able to play my PS1 games. These days that stuff isn't so useful for me. I can get the new console, keep the old console, and still have PC for pretty games that are not on the new console yet.

Pokemaniac

I'd be more confused than anything else. They're basically x86 PCs.

You need more than similar hardware to have BC in modern hardware. These things also have operating systems to consider as well. Windows doesn't have the BC that it has simply because x86 (really amd64 at this point, but that is backwards compatible with x86) is still the dominant CPU that people run it on. There's a lot of conscious effort that goes into maintaining it at Microsoft.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I am 95% confident that the next Xbox will have XBO backwards compatibility. Phil did say that the one PC feature that he would like to have in consoles is the backwards compatibility.

MikeyB

I'd make a switch back to PC. I don't want to make $400 hardware investments every five-six years and lose access to software. Especially when there is no good reason for it.

I'm still playing StarCraft 1 from time to time ferchristsakes.

BibiMaghoo

1) they don't play them at all - I do not care.
2) they play them but I need to buy them again - pretty annoyed.

This is the issue for me. If there is a means of showing that I own it then I shouldn't need to pay for it again. I rarely used it on PS2 and PS3, and rarely play old games on PC with a few exceptions, so it's no great loss, just a nice feature to have.

Sevyne

Would be a little annoyed, but not really mad. They really have no excuse not to have BC in the next console now, and that's the only reason it may bother me a little bit.

jett

D-Member
Considering the "normal" nature of the current hardware, it's highly probable backward compatibility will be in.

That said, I don't buy a console to play last-gen games.

Nesther

It really depends on the lifespan of the console.

Let's take the PS3 as an example, which had a a lifespan of 7 years before the next one came along. I was pretty much done with the library by then and felt satisfied by the end of it. I didn't mind one bit that the PS4 was announced with no BC.

Now the Wii U is kinda different, if the NX comes out next year it'd have a short lifespan with the biggest and best titles like Splatoon, Smash and co being released in the twilight age of the console. I'm not really ready to say bye to it, and BC would greatly help in this case.

So it depends. If the PS5 comes out in a year or two I absolutely want BC. If we get a similarly long and healthy run like the PS3, I don't mind mo BC.

d00d3n

They won't be backwards compatible, because there is to much money to be made reselling the back catalogue. Personally, I will buy most stuff on PC, and selectively re-buy some console re-releases if I feel like it. No backwards compatibility will make me mildly annoyed, but not exactly mad.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Wouldn't care at all. BC is something that's cool for a month or two, then people tend to forget about it. I'll just keep my last gen consoles.

Top Bottom