• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How mad will you be if the PS5/XB2 don't play PS4/XB1 games?

If it's still the same architecture and there is no backwards compatibility it'll be bad. I'd even go as far to say that any new consoles from this point forward need backwards compatibility to be successful. I can't see consoles lasting more than one more generation without it.

Given that we've got these huge markets now where BC is a given (phones/tablets), I think it'd be a mistake to continue pretending that BC doesn't matter. Hell, it was pretty silly this generation, with the simple fact that since 2000, every single console which had a platform to be BC with, and conceivably could (so not N64->GC, given the media change), has had BC.

PS4 and XBO are the odd ones out here, and given the x86 stuff, I fully expect they'll have BC going forward into the next generation, though I don't expect that to be until probably 2020.

Not very annoyed. I always keep my consoles around so it's only a minor inconvenience to play old games nowadays. I buy most multiplats on PC anyway so at least they'll still be playable. However it would be great if BC did exist for the next set of platforms.

OT: Is Xbox 2 the new Xbox 720?

oni-link

I don't buy new consoles to play old games. I usually keep my last generation consoles for some time anyway.

Not to pick on you, as a long of people make the "I keep my old consoles" point, and I keep my old consoles too

But I'm also somewhat sceptical a lot of PS3 and Xbox 360s will be working and running fine with no issues at all once they're 15-20 years old

I'd probably be sceptical of most PS4s and Xbox Ones working fine in 15-20 years time as well

Matriox

Depends entirely on how quickly we move to next gen. PS3/360 seemed to take forever to end so I didn't care about ps4/xb1 having it. That being said, even though the Wii U has backwards compatibility, I haven't played a wii game on it yet.

Why be mad when you can just buy remasters for 60 bucks?

Morpheus Remastered Edition.

Not to pick on you, as a long of people make the "I keep my old consoles" point, and I keep my old consoles too

But I'm also somewhat sceptical a lot of PS3 and Xbox 360s will be working and running fine with no issues at all once they're 15-20 years old

I'd probably be sceptical of most PS4s and Xbox Ones working fine in 15-20 years time as well

This is a totally reasonable point. It's something that people will have to think about but at least by that time emulation will probably be available. And you will always be able to find a console that works even if your personal one doesn't. Not like every PS3 and Xbox 360 will just shut down at some point.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I still remember the major backlash Nintendo had when they dropped GBA compatibility for the dsi.

Good time.

Arkeband

Banned
I'll still have my PS4 to play them on.
Just like I still have my PS3 to play PS3 games.

I have limited space in my entertainment center (I'm being very generous with this term) and unless I want to crawl behind my TV to swap around HDMI cables for Console #7, it just becomes clutter.

Backwards compatibility is consolidation!

Fractal

Banned
This gen the lack of backwards compatibility was accepted without any notable outrages, and even the recently introduced X1 BC hasn't gained too much traction. I believe next gen no one will care about it... for better or worse.

belmonkey

With all this indifference, next-gen is sounding like it too will be ripe with remasters / selling the same game at a higher frame rate and / or fps.

Xis

A little annoyed. I'm not going to play AAA games from the previous gen, but BC is nice for smaller / indie games. Child of Light on the X360 is pretty much the same as Child of Light on the XONE.

oni-link

This is a totally reasonable point. It's something that people will have to think about but at least by that time emulation will probably be available. And you will always be able to find a console that works even if your personal one doesn't. Not like every PS3 and Xbox 360 will just shut down at some point.

Yeah that's true, it would be just be nice (even more so for those who have gone all digital) to buy a new system and hit "download all PS4/XB1 titles" on day 1

It might also prevent another huge cross gen period, as more people may jump onto the next gen right away, knowing they can keep going with their backlog

there is NO way ms won't let you play xbox one games on the next console
and i also doubt sony would do it for the next playstation

this is one of the easiest way to lock people into your ecosystem
so i would not be pissed. i would be shocked.

timlot

Banned
I can't see them not putting in bc this time around. I would be more upset if the next xbox was called xbox two.

I don't care much about backward compatibility. It's usually only interesting in the first 1-2 years when there's not enough software support, later on nobody really cares about it.

Also I usually don't sell my old hardware, I still have a lot of older consoles connected.

Meltsi

Neo Member
hulk460.jpg

I would be Hulk mad, aaaaaaaaaah!

I don't know why it would surprise anyone at this point. It never really makes me mad since I don't sell my consoles, it's definitely a convenience, just one I can live without.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Somewhat but understandable (in the case of ps3 to ps4)

I can't say for the ps5 yet but if the next nintendo console doesn't have it for wii u I wil be somewhat because I have a lot more fun on wii u games

I can't see them not putting in bc this time around. I would be more upset if the next xbox was called xbox two.

Same here since the ps4 and the Xbox one are on x86 and not on PowerPC architectures.

Trago

If they are sticking with x86, then there's no reason for them not to be backwards compatible. Seriously. Moving forward, there should just be a library totally accessible to you no matter how new the hardware. Plus it helps keep consumers on a platform, look at Steam, iOS, and Android.

KORNdoggy

meh. i've learnt that while in the past i've made a big deal about BC, i noticed i don't even use it when i do have it. generally by the time a new gen comes around i'm in "new gen mode" i don't have time to be playing some old shit. lol

speedomodel

With my son being born, I have a growing backlog right now. To be 100% honest, doubt I'll buy new consoles right away if at all.

Will probably wait two-three years and at that point, I won't care much I suspect.

bosseye

Wouldn't give a flying fuck.

I bought my PS4 to play PS4 games on. If I buy a PS5 it will be to play PS5 games. If I want to play PS4 games in a few years time I will either retain my PS4 or buy another one if I've already sold it.

Its astonishing to me the noise people make about playing old games on new consoles. I was genuinely baffled that there were apparently so many gamers so pleased they could now play some 360 games on their XB1. If you're that bothered just have a 360!

jsnepo

Disappointed? Absolutely.

Mad? Of course not. Why would I be? I bought a next-gen console to play next-gen games. If I want to play old games, I'd keep my old consoles.

LordOfChaos

Only mildly. They could still add it later like the 360-One.

But anyways, in theory, if the next gen sticks to APUs, BC should be feasible. Depending on what happens to AMD though, if someone buys them out it or they keep bleeding it could be different.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Not mad at all since I never sell my consoles so I'll just play ps4 games on my ps4.
Ya i don't have the consoles my daughter has them PS1, PS2 & PS3 she gets me hand me downs but tbh i cant see no reason why PS5 won't play PS4 games being x86

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

I bought my PS4 to play PS4 games on. If I buy a PS5 it will be to play PS5 games. If I want to play PS4 games in a few years time I will either retain my PS4 or buy another one if I've already sold it.

Its astonishing to me the noise people make about playing old games on new consoles. I was genuinely baffled that there were apparently so many gamers so pleased they could now play some 360 games on their XB1. If you're that bothered just have a 360!

1 less box on the shelf that's just sitting there for the time you do decide to play is good enough for a lot of people

Occam

If they are sticking with x86, then there's no reason for them not to be backwards compatible. Seriously. Moving forward, there should just be a library totally accessible to you no matter how new the hardware. Plus it helps keep consumers on a platform, look at Steam, iOS, and Android.

I agree with this. I don't want to pay more than once for the same game.
Added bonus: They could continue to sell old games via digital distribution, at no added cost.
Obviously PS5 should be able to physically read old PlayStation discs, too (just as PS4 should be able to play PS1 and PS2 discs).

but do you plan to hook 5 devices under your tv?
easy and cheap bc is always a good thing.

It doesn't really bother me that much honestly. All my console are in a closet and since I don't switch too often between them I don't need all of them to be under my TV (currently have 3 consoles connected).
I'm not saying BC is useless, but I just won't be mad or annoyed is the next PS/Xbox won't support BC.

Chris1

I'd be a little annoyed I guess, not particularly mad. It's an awesome thing to have but if not I'll have my XB1 still. Pretty sure XB2 is practically guaranteed to be BC with XB1 having 360 BC anyways.

Trago

Or, there shouldn't be a cut off in the platform you invested so much in.

I agree with this. I don't want to pay more than once for the same game.
Added bonus: They could continue to sell old games via digital distribution, at no added cost.
Obviously PS5 should be able to physically read old PlayStation discs, too (just as PS4 should be able to play PS1 and PS2 discs).

Yeah, imagine how pissed people would be if their old Andoid apps don't work on their new phones. Same concept. Can you imagine how killer it would be for every PS console game being playable on one console? That's a library to mach or even surpass Steam's numbers. But nope. Some of y'all don't care.

Top Bottom