• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many eggs do you crack before you get a shell in the bowl/cup?

How many good egg breaks before a bad egg break, on average?

• Gun to my head, I think I go 4 clean breaks before the 5th kills me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
On average how many clean egg breaks do you go before cracking an egg and seeing a little shell piece fall in the mix?

1C5A0367.jpg

Names will be displayed publically in the poll to identify our God King(s).

Fbh

It's variable.

If I'm making a cake or some other recipe that needs a lot of eggs I'll crack 5-6 with no issues.

If I'm making specifically 1 or 2 fried eggs I'll get shells in the pan with 100% certainty

Soodanim

I’m going to deviate from the topic entirely for a minute and mention how weird it always looks to me when I see completely white eggs. In the UK eggs are brown/speckled, and the white egg although natural seems to me like it lines up with aspects of American culture - reminiscent of things like unnaturally white teeth, weird perfect grass rules for lawns, etc.

Anyway, it’s about 2-3 eggs before the egg shell becomes a scooper, based on my standard portion size. Rarely do more to test larger amounts and give an accurate answer. Sometimes I crack none, sometimes mistakes are made.

Last edited:

Some of this depends on your technique. If you break it on a jagged edge the edge causes the shell to go further inward, and this seems to increase the chance that you get shell. Breaking them on a flat surface like a counter in my experience will very rarely result in getting shell in. I pretty regularly drop an egg into ramen, and I almost never get shell in.

Knch

On average how many clean egg breaks do you go before cracking an egg and seeing a little shell piece fall in the mix?

1C5A0367.jpg

Names will be displayed publically in the poll to identify our God King(s).
Crack it on the table or against another egg instead of on the edge of your (tiny as shit, or any) bowl.

I eat probably 18-24 eggs a week, and I can't remember the last time a bit of shell got left behind, even when separating yolks with the shell shuffle.

Tschumi

I've had shell in my egg twice in the last two years, but i haven't cracked many eggs so I'll just say once every 6 times

AJUMP23

OP i thought about this a little and I think you are using to much force when cracking an egg. It doesn't take a lot to crack an egg.

I feel bad for your yolks OP

I can crack hundreds with no shell. one handed splitting too.

is this a common challenge to many?

alec baldwin GIF

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Like over time? Or are you suggesting we make a NeoGAF competition with the sole purpose of wasting eggs because some men just want to watch the world burn? I mean, I've never been in a scenario where I'd need to crack over seven eggs.

Top Bottom