• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of you would it take to beat McGregor?

Ronin Ray

Like, Ewan McGregor? Is he supposed to be particularly fit or something? Or is this some obscure person who you wouldn't know unless you're into that specific thing? I love it when threads don't explain what they're talking about.

I like where this is going

adj_noun

So let's say you get in a fight with McGregor in your current state

Every time he beats you, another identical copy of you appears instantly for him to fight
The copy of you has full original state stamina
It's a constant stream of you vs McGregor
Fight takes place in a ring with no weapons

At any given time it's 1v1

No groups of you vs McGregor

None of these rules say the fight doesn't take the form of a rock, paper, scissors contest.

So just one of me.

I'm vicious.

PAPER

Realistically me and the vast majority of GAF would not be able to take very many of Conor's punches before being KO'd so it would basically come down to how long it took him to get tired of punching.

So I'd go with 25-30 clones

People need to keep in mind Conor has lead in his hands, he knocked out one of the best fighters in the world in 13 seconds

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So let's say you get in a fight with McGregor in your current state

Every time he beats you, another identical copy of you appears instantly for him to fight
The copy of you has full original state stamina
It's a constant stream of you vs McGregor
Fight takes place in a ring with no weapons

At any given time it's 1v1

No groups of you vs McGregor

Sounds like a typical MMA training camp except on very easy mode for Conor tbh. If he's been briefed on the specifics of the magic hypothetical infinite kumite beforehand, he could probably go all day by just pacing himself and taking breaks in dominant position before ko/sub finishes.

If it's like clones of me getting rewinded then his accumulation of fatigue/damage isn't going to be that relevant since he'd kick my ass and control the fight each time, and not much would change between instances for either of us. Assuming he's not freaking out about the scary sci-fi shit happening to him there wouldn't be much reason for him to gas quickly.

You'd need some Naruto shit in there where I'm playing this with a game plan across multiple clones of myself and maintaining singular awareness through the resets. In a scenario like that the most obvious solution is to go for high percentage stuff like leg kicks as much as possible, accumulate damage over time, and otherwise expend all my energy grappling knowing I'll get reset to 100% and he won't, etc., instead of looking for a favorable result in any one fight in the sequence.

The premise isn't very well developed. Without additional special conditions like the above, you're basically just asking people if they think they would hurt Conor McGregor in a 1v1 fight before they lose. Unlikely.

Zampano

I have four years Muay Thai and five years BJJ and am much bigger. He would kill me. Going with about 40+.

Do my clones have shared memory?

MeLe

Neo Member
i don't know anything about fighting, but it looks like the big dude could take him down pretty much any time he wanted if that was a legit fight.

mcgregor is no bruce lee.
Don't know if you're being serious here, but Mcgregor would wipe the floor with Bruce Lee.

I would lose the first fight and then the clone would win the second. I would exhaust him cause I know he would win. Fighting defensively is easy.

Sounds like a typical MMA training camp except on very easy mode for Conor tbh. If he's been briefed on the specifics of the magic hypothetical infinite kumite beforehand, he could probably go all day by just pacing himself and taking breaks in dominant position before ko/sub finishes.

If it's like clones of me getting rewinded then his accumulation of fatigue/damage isn't going to be that relevant since he'd kick my ass and control the fight each time, and not much would change between instances for either of us. Assuming he's not freaking out about the scary sci-fi shit happening to him there wouldn't be much reason for him to gas quickly.

You'd need some Naruto shit in there where I'm playing this with a game plan across multiple clones of myself and maintaining singular awareness through the resets. In a scenario like that the most obvious solution is to go for high percentage stuff like leg kicks as much as possible, accumulate damage over time, and otherwise expend all my energy grappling knowing I'll get reset to 100% and he won't, etc., instead of looking for a favorable result in any one fight in the sequence.

The premise isn't very well developed. Without additional special conditions like the above, you're basically just asking people if they think they would hurt Conor McGregor in a 1v1 fight before they lose. Unlikely.

I think my best chance of hurting him early doors is to hope he breaks his hands punching my head.

NandoGip

wow. bravo.

JimiNutz

Banned
Looked him up, he is 145lbs.

This shows a complete misunderstanding of how professional fighting works.

Conor won both the featherweight UFC title at 145lbs and more recently the Lightweight UFC title at 155lbs. This simply means that the day before the fight he managed to cut enough water weight to step on the scales at 155lbs. That is not the weight that he will actually fight at and it's certainly not anywhere near the weight that he walks around at in day to day life.

Conor is not 145lbs - it actually nearly kills him to make that weight for only a few mins (at the weigh in). He then rehydrates over 24 hours and walks into the actual fight the following day a good 15-20lbs heavier. This is a practice common across all combat sports and is known as weight cutting.

Realistically me and the vast majority of GAF would not be able to take very many of Conor's punches before being KO'd so it would basically come down to how long it took him to get tired of punching.

So I'd go with 25-30 clones

I think for most of us amateurs boxing is a poor strategy. Wrestling/grappling will make the match last longer and tire him out. The challenge is to close the distance without getting knocked out.

For arguments sake let's say 1 out of 4 times you are knocked out before you get a chance to wrestle. If you get a chance to wrestle, let's assume you get on average 2 minutes of wresting before submission or knockout. Now how many minutes of wresting/grappling can he sustain before he is completely gassed out? Given the fact that he is constantly facing fresh opponents I think one hour is pretty generous.

So (60/2)/(3/4) = 40 amateurs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Are we talking a fair fight with rules? Because if its a brawl and it was serious you just go for the sensitive spots like the eyes, throat, balls and so on. Doesn't mean I'd win but if I knew I was taking on a professional trained fighter in a street brawl who was gonna try and beat the ever loving shit out me then I'd be fighting dirty as hell. Shit I'll throw sand in his face.

GodofWine

The first 12-20 of me would just run around and have him chase me, clinch, and pray until each version of me got almost literally killed by a punch.

The next 12-20 of me would go all in on trying to land something to his body...might take 50 of me actually...but he's still wrecking me, all the me's

I think around the 50 mark, +/- 50 (mostly +), I may have him winded, but I still don't know that I could hurt his chin, or take him down, or do anything on the ground to hurt him.

Around me version 150, he is gassed, possibly he has two broken hands, from cracking my face over and over...he dispatches the next 75 of me with viscous head kicks.

FINALLY, in the 200's he has now broken his feet, is starved for oxygen (probably water too), and I can knock him over, and grab onto his broken foot and twist...I repeat this 45 times as he still hammer fists me out cold, or elbows me till my brain flows out...

Me in the 300's, finally is facing a man with broken elbows, who cannot walk, or move his arms, he calls me a FOOKIN FOOL, but I finally got him, he passed out due to low blood sugar, and I land one clean shot before the ref and jump in...I break my wrist..but I won.

Im 39, 5'11', a strong 180ish, lift 3-4 times a week, I'd look the part in the ring, and still would have no chance for hours.

mclem

Like, Ewan McGregor? Is he supposed to be particularly fit or something? Or is this some obscure person who you wouldn't know unless you're into that specific thing? I love it when threads don't explain what they're talking about.

I think it's Mr McGregor, from the Beatrix Potter books. In which cast, the question boils down to "Am I currently a rabbit"?

Are we talking a fair fight with rules? Because if its a brawl and it was serious you just go for the sensitive spots like the eyes, throat, balls and so on. Doesn't mean I'd win but if I knew I was taking on a professional trained fighter in a street brawl who was gonna try and beat the ever loving shit out me then I'd be fighting dirty as hell. Shit I'll throw sand in his face.

Lol. Good luck getting close to those sensitive spots. Its one thing knowing what to do, but doing it is a different proposition.

As Mike Tyson once said, everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the face.

ZOONAMI

The first 12-20 of me would just run around and have him chase me, clinch, and pray until each version of me got almost literally killed by a punch.

The next 12-20 of me would go all in on trying to land something to his body...might take 50 of me actually...but he's still wrecking me, all the me's

I think around the 50 mark, +/- 50 (mostly +), I may have him winded, but I still don't know that I could hurt his chin, or take him down, or do anything on the ground to hurt him.

Around me version 150, he is gassed, possibly he has two broken hands, from cracking my face over and over...he dispatches the next 75 of me with viscous head kicks.

FINALLY, in the 200's he has now broken his feet, is starved for oxygen (probably water too), and I can knock him over, and grab onto his broken foot and twist...I repeat this 45 times as he still hammer fists me out cold, or elbows me till my brain flows out...

Me in the 300's, finally is facing a man with broken elbows, who cannot walk, or move his arms, he calls me a FOOKIN FOOL, but I finally got him, he passed out due to low blood sugar, and I land one clean shot before the ref and jump in...I break my wrist..but I won.

Im 39, 5'11', a strong 180ish, lift 3-4 times a week, I'd look the part in the ring, and still would have no chance for hours.

Pretty confident there. I don't think you'd be able to outrun him at all for one, and you'd probably be KOd the first hit to your face, or even just a substantial body shot you'd probably freeze up and then you're fucked.

That's a fair point but following MMA rules you could give up or tap out any time right? So you could prevent rests.

GodofWine

Pretty confident there. I don't think you'd be able to outrun him at all for one, and you'd probably be KOd the first hit to your face.

Did you read what I wrote??? I said it would take a wave of 300 (or more) of me, and him finally collapsing due to not having eaten for hours to be declared a winner...so if thats confidence, then yes, sign me up

I repeat - DID YOU READ ANYTHING I WROTE!??!? (or were you joking around? if so, I missed it completely)

HStallion

Lol. Good luck getting close to those sensitive spots. Its one thing knowing what to do, but doing it is a different proposition.

As Mike Tyson once said, everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the face.

That's why I wouldn't fight fair. I'd fucking bite McGregor given the chance or spit in his eye. Hell I'd shit my pants if I felt it would make him pause enough to just grab his balls and squeeze with all my might. As I said it doesn't mean I have a chance but I would take every opportunity, even low ones.

That's why I wouldn't fight fair. I'd fucking bite McGregor given the chance or spit in his eye. Hell I'd shit my pants if I felt it would make him pause enough to just grab his balls and squeeze with all my might.

Yeah but if you fight dirty, then he'd start fighting dirty as well.

Can you imagine if McGregor punched you in the balls?

HStallion

Yeah but if you fight dirty, then he'd start fighting dirty as well.

Can you imagine if McGregor punched you in the balls?

I can imagine as its happened before, well not from McGregor but still. As I said, I'd throw sand/dirt in his face given the opportunity.

I can imagine as its happened before. As I said, I'd throw sand/dirt in his face given the opportunity.

What if he throws sand in your eyes first?

And then punches you in the balls lol?

If you're fighting dirty I don't think ball punching/kicking is the way to go. You would either eye gouge or bite hands/arms.

Right, but then he'd start trying to bite you as well.

Dude has a pretty big head, and he's always talking shit, so I bet he has some strong jaws haha

HStallion

What if he throws sand in your eyes first?

And then punches you in the balls lol?

Then he wins just like he would in most situations. My point is if I'm getting into the ring with McGregor and there aren't any rules I'll take any advantage I can get as I'm nowhere close to a professional fighter by any means.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

That's why I wouldn't fight fair. I'd fucking bite McGregor given the chance or spit in his eye. Hell I'd shit my pants if I felt it would make him pause enough to just grab his balls and squeeze with all my might. As I said it doesn't mean I have a chance but I would take every opportunity, even low ones.

Then he wins just like he would in most situations. My point is if I'm getting into the ring with McGregor and there aren't any rules I'll take any advantage I can get as I'm nowhere close to a professional fighter by any means.

The ring? I thought you were on the beach with a stomach virus

See, I wouldn't fight dirty because then he'd fight dirty, and if I'm going to lose anyway I'd like to do it without getting by eyeballs ripped out.

Plus I'd have to keep coming back, so the next time he'd understand that I'd come out fighting dirty, so he'd immediately try to legit murder me. I would like to not get my throat stomped in 40 times in a row lol.

HStallion

See, I wouldn't fight dirty because then he'd fight dirty, and if I'm going to lose anyway I'd like to do it without getting by eyeballs ripped out.

Plus I'd have to keep coming back, so the next time he'd understand that I'd come out fighting dirty, so he'd immediately try to legit murder me. I would like to not get my throat stomped in 40 times in a row lol.

Well if I'm fighting dirty its mostly relying on the surprise of it as well. I'm not going to announce I'm throwing sand in his face and then going to going to try and crush his balls. Once that's gone I lose much like any other case.

LordKasual

Banned
Jesus christ these people need to be banned

"who's mcgregor?"
"who's ed sheeran?"
"who's justin bieber?"
"who's kim kardashian?"
"who's this extremely well-known and relevant person?"
"who's this person I could easily google?"

They really ask the question because they feel a sense of superiority being "unaware" of pop culture

damn bro chill

I've had a few amateur bouts, am much bigger than him, wrestled in highschool, played college football, and still regularly attend bjj classes.

Even I would be stupid to say anything under 10 and my strategy is complete stall (to the point the ref deducts points every round)to exhaust him aka the first five or so versions of me accept they have no shot. I'm under no delusions that I could even land a lucky shot to rock him in the first ten rounds or so when he has any semblance of energy left. Maybe versions 7+ of me could get some mediocre top control and wear him out for 4 minutes at a time before getting submitted.

He could probably finish me in under 90 sec if I had any sort of aggression while he's even remotely fresh.

The funny thing is I think it would take way less of me vs someone greater like prime gsp because his stalling style would play into the exhaustion plan.

Who cares you have infinite clones. Fighting dirty is probably the only way I could injure him before he's gassed out.

Two people in decent shape who know how to fight and aren't scared.

Oh wait only one at a time?

Twenty.

i think 2 normal people would get demolished by thjis guy. You ever see videos of amateur MMA fighters in tavern brawls or something? They will take on 3-5 easy

HStallion

If I give up do I get a copy still? I'd just forfeit the first second of every match until I had like a hundred copies and then just face him with a small army.

Well if I'm fighting dirty its mostly relying on the surprise of it as well. I'm not going to announce I'm throwing sand in his face and then going to going to try and rip his testicles off.

Yeah but that's a shitty gamble because chances are super high that it wouldn't even work in the first place, and at that point he'll just realize you're trying to fight dirty and fuck you up regardless. Then he'd be pissed off and ready for all subsequent bouts.

I think my chances would go up if I took bath salts prior to the match. maybe 10 bath salt clones to start just to wear him out and then swtich to regular me.

ZOONAMI

Did you read what I wrote??? I said it would take a wave of 300 (or more) of me, and him finally collapsing due to not having eaten for hours to be declared a winner...so if thats confidence, then yes, sign me up

I repeat - DID YOU READ ANYTHING I WROTE!??!? (or were you joking around? if so, I missed it completely)

No my bad the numbers and the me didn't even make sense to me so I just ignored it. Whoosh. Lol

Top Bottom