• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much more powerful is the Switch vs Wii U?

I have a Switch but I don't understand why it's more powerful in docked mode. It's because of its battery? Like, in undocked mode the Switch runs in lower clock speeds to save battery?

OCD Guy

I have a Switch but I don't understand why it's more powerful in docked mode. It's because of its battery? Like, in undocked mode the Switch runs in lower clock speeds to save battery?

Yes battery life and heat.

While docked they can increase the GPU clockspeed as battery life is not an issue.

As far as I know CPU clockspeed remains the same regardless.

I'm not against games coming to the switch. The more the better. I'd be over the moon with a port of GTA V, and I'll be buying Fifa 18. Wish Pes was coming too. Infact I want more and more ports.

My issue was only against the talk of Fifa 18 being a custom built engine. EA are just trying to talk it up, that's normal I get it.

But if the game sells well, watch how quickly they get Journey on there and the Switch get's a "custom" version of Frostbite.

Do you think Journey is only possible on Frostbite too? Because for me personally that's more EA bullshit.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not that knowledgeable on FIFA modes but isn't the Journey heavily dependent on online features and microtransactions, rather than dependent on some engine? If so I would imagine it being left out has more to do with Nintendo's online services being very bare bones currently. EDIT: Yep I'm wrong, thanks Jaded Alyx.

In the context of this thread (discussing relative power and how that can affect third party ports) I would say that online capabilities are far, far more of a problem for developers than hardware power is. Steep for example was rumored to be having porting difficulties specifically because of the online focused nature of the game.

Yup, that's pretty much exactly it. Battery life and heat like OCD Guy said. I'd also add that (possibly) it running hotter in handheld mode would cause the fan to spin faster, and having a fast spinning fan in handheld mode when the Switch is being moved around is more likely to cause mechanical failure than when it's standing still in a dock.

Yes. It also doesn't have to render in 1080p undocked.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not that knowledgeable on FIFA modes but isn't the Journey heavily dependent on online features and microtransactions, rather than dependent on some engine? If so I would imagine it being left out has more to do with Nintendo's online services being very bare bones currently.

Nope. The microtransaction heavy part of FIFA is FUT and that's present in FIFA 18 Switch.

People here bringing up Botw when the Switch version is like

oGJ29qN_d.jpg

Nope. The microtransaction heavy part of FIFA is FUT and that's present in FIFA 18 Switch.

Ah that's right, I guess I mixed the two of them up. Then what exactly is the Journey? Is it something that's somehow hardware power intensive?

I see, thanks guys. But how does the docked mode improve the cooling system?

Beyond running the fan at a higher RPM it doesn't, Nintendo just doesn't want you to be holding a tablet that gets too hot. When it's docked you're not holding it.

Ah that's right, I guess I mixed the two of them up. Then what exactly is the Journey? Is it something that's somehow hardware power intensive?

It doesn't Nintendo just doesn't want you to be holding a tablet that gets too hot. When it's docked you're not holding it.

The Journey is just the story mode. A bunch of real-time cutscenes in between training and matches. They would likely have to create them all over again in whatever engine they're using on the Switch.

OCD Guy

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not that knowledgeable on FIFA modes but isn't the Journey heavily dependent on online features and microtransactions, rather than dependent on some engine? If so I would imagine it being left out has more to do with Nintendo's online services being very bare bones currently. EDIT: Yep I'm wrong, thanks Jaded Alyx.

In the context of this thread (discussing relative power and how that can affect third party ports) I would say that online capabilities are far, far more of a problem for developers than hardware power is. Steep for example was rumored to be having porting difficulties specifically because of the online focused nature of the game.

Well the official response from EA is that The Journey is only possible in Frostbite, but I think it's bullshit.

That game mode could be made with worse graphics. The core gameplay would be the same even if the character models look worse in cut scenes, or the match gameplay was different/looked worse.

It doesn't improve the cooling, but the fan could spin quicker, and any increased heat wouldn't really be an issue as you're not holding the device.

With regards to the fan, I'm not even sure if it spins quicker while docked. Maybe there have been tests done. I've not even taken the dock out of the box.

But if I play Zelda while charging the fan get's really loud, and the device can be hot to touch.

It doesn't. It gets noticeably hotter when docked because it can draw so much power, but it'll also rev up the fan to remain within temperature thresholds.

In portable mode, while there is a pretty big hit to performance, it renders no higher than 720p, sometimes dynamically, so the overall performance when docked or undocked scales pretty well.

It doesn't improve the cooling, but the fan could spin quicker, and any increased heat wouldn't really be an issue as you're not holding the device.

With regards to the fan, I'm not even sure if it spins quicker while docked. Maybe there have been tests done. I've not even taken the dock out of the box.

It doesn't. It gets noticeably hotter when docked because it can draw so much power, but it'll also rev up the fan to remain within temperature thresholds.

In portable mode, while there is a pretty big hit to performance, it renders no higher than 720p, sometimes dynamically, so the overall performance when docked or undocked scales pretty well.

Beyond running the fan at a higher RPM it doesn't, Nintendo just doesn't want you to be holding a tablet that gets too hot. When it's docked you're not holding it.

Ok, that makes sense. I did notice that when I take my Switch off the dock right after have played a game on it it's indeed way hotter than when I play it in handheld mode.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Handheld it's basically an upclocked Wii-U, give or take. Multiply that by 2-3 if you put it in the dock. Considering it's form factor, that's impressive. Considering what other consoles are pushing, it's disappointing. It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't get why this discussion is even going. We can see with our own eyes what the thing is capable of now. The numbers mean very little.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's common sense. BotW is a title built ground up for the WiiU, by the most talented Nintendo in-house teams, after years of experience with not only the WiiU, but also the same CPU architecture since the GCN days.

The Switch version is based on that version, ported in a fraction of the WiiU dev time, while the hardware itself is still fairly unknown even to Nintendo's own dev teams. Had they built BotW ground up for the Switch in 3 years, i'm sure everybody would see how massive the difference would actually be.

except it's not people still act like one of nintendo best teams did a bang up job on BOTW Switch when they have declared how they didn't at all. I will be fair to some it's not GTA4 or Arkham Knight pc or Skyrim PS3.

I think with the api, their talents, switch OS alone they need a year and could do amazing things. Other teams working vulkan have flexed what they can do in 1:1 spec situation say opengl vs vulkan, doom easily being the best example there's a ton to be done by inexperience yet talented nintendo in this api on maxwell architecture. Their HD jumps have been ungodly and this comes from someone who fell in love with their arcade machines not their consoles. The magic these days comes from a holistic balance and this is easily the first device since cube that can even come close to that claim. I'm pumped unlike others be it devs or consumers and plenty of titles have shown we are in for a treat at times.

Just putting ya on blast nintendo, waverace physics and reflections better be on point considering blue storm had cube maps spammed everywhere and held a decent fps with progressive scan. They could stomp on the tech demo graphics of waverace from the 2000 video with what we have now and do the franchise with higher fidelity and assets to boot.

I'm not against games coming to the switch. The more the better. I'd be over the moon with a port of GTA V, and I'll be buying Fifa 18. Wish Pes was coming too. Infact I want more and more ports.

My issue was only against the talk of Fifa 18 being a custom built engine. EA are just trying to talk it up, that's normal I get it.

But if the game sells well, watch how quickly they get Journey on there and the Switch get's a "custom" version of Frostbite.

Do you think Journey is only possible on Frostbite too? Because for me personally that's more EA bullshit.

I have posts in the fifa topic, fifa this year vs any other say since cube is much different. Their efforts are far more of a company that wants the title to get something done vs sending it to fail as they usually do. Fair enough.

In response to the journey comment that hold as much weight as microsoft saying that new Direct X api can only be done on newer versions of windows. I would respect EA if they were honest about it being an effort problem cause it's not power.

00ich

The Tegra X1 was first used in a product in 2015, was it not? Wouldn't that make the Switch 2015 level rather than 2014?

Tegra uses Nvidia's Maxwell core design which launched in 2014.
Same for the Radeon core in the Wii U that's supposedly R700ish, which means watered down high end from 2008

FinalAres

They were graphically downgraded but that didn't stop them from selling. And I never said the Switch ports would compare to the PS4 versions, in fact I said they'd obviously be downgraded. So I'm not sure why that matters.

And yes, the gap is far, far smaller. Most estimates put the PS4 about 5x ahead of the Switch at most, whereas the Wii was closer to 20x weaker than the PS3 and 360 (in different ways for each).

As for FIFA, that is flat out incorrect. That was the rumor for a while but we've seen the actual game listing by EA and it's a 100% custom version that's more comparable to the PS4/XB1 versions than the PS3/360 versions, though lacking the Journey mode of the latter.
You can try and quote unverified numbers all you want, but the proof will very much be in the pudding. Grab me when that FF7 remake port happens.

Handheld it's basically an upclocked Wii-U, give or take. Multiply that by 2-3 if you put it in the dock. Considering it's form factor, that's impressive. Considering what other consoles are pushing, it's disappointing. It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't get why this discussion is even going. We can see with our own eyes what the thing is capable of now. The numbers mean very little.

The Wii U and Switch are completely different architectures, with the latter being based on a mobile chipset essentially; trouble is it's not that easy to compare the two, which is why I asked the question, also with very few built for Switch only titles to get our teeth in too doesn't help.

I don't see how me not owning a Switch would make any of those observations any different or less valid, the specs of the console are static either way. I just don't only own a Switch.

Switch is pretty cool for what it is....but that's only on its own merits. I'd be lying if i said i didn't pretty much only justify my Switch purchase for the 1st party Nintendo titles, feels bad to admit it, but it's true. But assuming I didn't??? The lack of horsepower relative to everything else on the market does become an issue, because where are the rest of the games going to come from???

I don't personally see the point in crunching the Switch's numbers in an environment confined only to itself. People are going to want 3rd party games, and 3rd party developers are under no obligation to develop for weak hardware. So in that sense, no, the Switch really isn't going to feel that much more powerful than the WiiU. It's going to lose ports for all of the exact same reasons. Now, I don't believe it's a bad console, which is what i assume people just kneejerk default to when I point out how weak it is. There is alot of value in its portability. But...it is a weak console. I don't know how else to put it really.

Now, as a portable, absolutely, the Switch is indeed powerful...but in reality, that's only going to be taken advantage of if developers give the console the same kind of love that the PSP/3DS received. And seeing as Nintendo is reluctant to actually call the damn thing a portable...time is just going to have to tell on that one.
Everyone is talking about BotW, but Zelda isn't even a Switch exclusive.

See, this is where you confuse me. On one hand you mention that switch can't compete with the x1 as if it's reasonable to expect a tablet that weighs two-thirds of a pound to do so, and then on the other hand you admit that the Switch is powerful for a handheld and it is indeed a handheld soooo... I don't quite understand your qualms.

Also, I don't know what Nintendo calling the Switch a portable would have to do at all with the 3rd party response to it. I think 3rd party developers are capable of recognizing that the Switch is a portable/works as a portable without that being dictated to them by nintendo.

I also disagree that the Switch is going to lose ports as a matter of not being able to handle the games. In some instances, sure, but in a number of instances I think we'll see that plenty of games will work on switch if you just lower the resolution and eliminate some shader/lighting effects. It's exactly what was done for Snake Pass. Not exactly my definition of a "gimped" port but YMMV. It's nothing like the Wii where a "port" essentially required developing a conpletely different game with new models, textures, etc.

Tegra uses Nvidia's Maxwell core design which launched in 2014.
Same for the Radeon core in the Wii U that's supposedly R700ish, which means watered down high end from 2008

Oh you're talking about architecture, that makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

You can try and quote unverified numbers all you want, but the proof will very much be in the pudding. Grab me when that FF7 remake port happens.

What does FF7R have anything to do with this? I said it will get some ports, probably not even that many, in response to you saying it'll get none. It already has several announced.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Wii U and Switch are completely different architectures, with the latter being based on a mobile chipset essentially; trouble is it's not that easy to compare the two, which is why I asked the question, also with very few built for Switch only titles to get our teeth in too doesn't help.

Still, the proof is in the pudding. If you expect games that are 'built for switch' to look massively better than what you've got right now, then you'll likely be disappointed.

FinalAres

Oh you're talking about architecture, that makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

What does FF7R have anything to do with this? I said it will get some ports, probably not even that many, in response to you saying it'll get none. It already has several announced.
No I said it'll probably get no triple a ports, and if it does they'll be heavily gimped. Learn to read.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mario Odyssey will be a better showcase than BotW, since its likely built from the ground up for Switch.

Looks far less impressive than BotW from what we've seen so far, and has been pixel-counted to run at 720p docked unless I'm mistaken? That could change though, I guess. And sure, it runs at twice the framerate, but still.

Don't get me wrong, I will play the hell out of that game, I'm just not very impressed by it visually.

Looks far less impressive than BotW from what we've seen so far, and has been pixel-counted to run at 720p unless I'm mistaken? Sure, it runs at twice the framerate, but still.

Don't get me wrong, I will play the hell out of that game, I'm just not very impressed by it visually.

You say that like that's some inconsequential thing.

Looks far less impressive than BotW from what we've seen so far, and has been pixel-counted to run at 720p docked unless I'm mistaken? That could change though, I guess. And sure, it runs at twice the framerate, but still.

Splatoon 2 ran at 720p docked until recently but launched at mostly 1080p

LCGeek

formerly sane
Still, the proof is in the pudding..

I heard this during the GC era and after Starfox Adventures, Rogue Squadron, RE4 and Rebel Strike did their achievements haters still spewed their ignorance. So yes to that but I'm going to put the spin on especially when it comes to a tech topic at this site on a nintendo's platform specs vs what we see. It's a maxwell tegra capable of crysis 3 and everything else we have seen so far, so unless a dev is well beyond that I don't want to hear rubbish like certain UE4 dev team tried to pull. If you want to make the argument how nintendo gets devs to utilize their platforms you have my sword.

That is a meaningless comment in asking how powerful or capable a device is over it's predcessors. One of them is based potential the other is what you do with it. I've said it before expecting AAA publishers to max this device and spend time isn't happening, as they don't do that for nintendo consoles or any console that isn't earning their place at the table.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Only effects like boss or stage scaling, rotation and warping. That Yoshi sprite is 100% vanilla SNES.
The things is, you can afford to go wild with your main sprites when your most demanding fx are essentially for free.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Splatoon 2 ran at 720p docked until recently but launched at mostly 1080p

Yep, which is why I said it might change for Odyssey too. Splatoon 2 is an enhanced version of the original Wii U game though (tech-wise, not talking about content or saying it's a port), while Odyssey is a brand new title that might not be as easy to optimize that much before launch We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised to see 900p, as with BotW.

No I said it'll probably get no triple a ports, and if it does they'll be heavily gimped. Learn to read.

I figured AAA was implied in my post, since it already has several AAA ports announced but a hell of a lot of other non-AAA ports released.

First off, you said it probably won't get any. Like I said above, there have been several actually announced, depending on your definition of AAA. We have Steep, FIFA and NBA2k so far, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Secondly, you said they would be "heavily gimped, barely recognisable and will be criticised for it, primarily by us." So let's look at the one we actually have footage of, FIFA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2GcZ0XU0i0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGFRCL66tEc

Just from these videos all I can tell is the Switch footage is all off screen but besides that causing lines to appear (versus the direct footage of the PS4 version) it looks pretty much the same to me. It obviously has a lower resolution, being on the Switch screen but that barely makes a difference at first glance.

Compare that to COD 4 on Wii and 360:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOT2FmsztYg

You can immediately notice the lower resolution, far lower poly count, almost no effects, basically no shadows, and a whole host of other differences. This is why I'm saying the gap between the Switch and XB1/PS4 is way smaller than that between the Wii and 360/PS3. Obviously the gap still exists and any AAA ports will obviously need to be downgraded, but not nearly to that same extent.

I apologize if this is a bit off topic.

In dock : Better than Wii U ( but a bit ) , in handled mod : largely weaker than Wii U ... ( 150+ Tflops vs 300 for WII U ... )

Don't you think that BotW running at 720P on both Wii U and Switch handheld, but having a vastly more stable frame rate on Switch, would disprove your theory that it's "largely weaker" than Wii U when undocked? Feel free to explain why the weaker system is running the same game at the same resolution but with a much smoother frame rate, because I don't follow the logic.

I meaan I dont get the point people are trying to make with gimped ports. Well yeah they have to be cut down. We are looking at a system that at best is 1/3 an X1 in its most powerful form. In it's weakest form its like 1/6 to 1/7. Of course ports will be lesser. Why are people so concerned about it? Getting the ports is more important than whatever arbitrary definition of gimped is.

LordKasual

Banned
Indies and some are already have better sales on switch than on steam. EA likes switch compared to WiiU and considering the fifa port situation alone there's plenty to be done on switch vs WiiU/PS3/360 level architectures. We have snake pass and rocket league optimized will show the system has the good. The amount of developers on horsepower complaints can literally be counted on one hand with 3 fingers left. Go ahead check post history I've commented in those threads as well.

I don't need a switch to play any of those games though...

I would hope that EA likes the Switch compared to the WiiU? It would be a problem if they didn't.

Developers who verbally and publicly complain about the horsepower of the platform should be few, and far between. But actions speak louder than words, and actions in this case would be ports of newer titles. And seeing as I was actually looking forward to playing the newest Monster Hunter game on my Switch only to learn that it isn't being ported....yeah, i've seen this situation before.

Switch already has a better port situation a few months in to existence than WiiU ever enjoyed before or after it's launch. Switch has plenty of devs who aren't interested in what AAA publishers are pumping out. Switch is already enjoying things like UE4 support which basically every gen before for a 3d nintendo console was a joke. EA literally customized an engine, which most didn't expect at all to get shit done. It's the 5th strongest console of all time out of how many? Not saying the system can be optimized to do anthem yet it's far cry from any of the Wii situations.

Literally anything that calls itself a real gaming device releasing in 2017 should support Unreal Engine 4. That is not an achievement, it is a standard.

If EA intends to use its engine, it will need to be customized to work on the console, again this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone...unless they just expected it not to run on the hardware. And it should go without saying, but just because a platform supports an engine doesn't mean that it can run all of the games that use it. My older PC "supported" Cryengine yet couldn't break more than 18 frames when running Crysis.

Anyway, yeah the Switch is in a much better situation than the Wii, but that's mainly because the majority of Wii games just looked fucking ugly compared to any of its competition. The Switch is not so far behind the Xbone/PS4 that it produces comparatively ugly games. But that's a benefit of releasing the console in 2017, when all the hardware developers are now pushing their specs to support 4k and VR. 1080p has never been a cheaper target.

Vulkan based apis own older apis due to much better performance without the need to optimize so much and none of the overhead and have proper multithreading to cpu to gpu not a single other nintendo console could offer this. Id software made a vulkan patch in a few months compared to nearly years worth of efforts done on older gpu api tech when even see these type of patches show up. Devs already are porting titles that are having times equal to gc port efforts or quicker. This entire passage is rubbish and asks us to ignore the reality of what is going on for the mere culture conjecture of devs being lazy as usual when for the first fucking time in any 3d console generation of nintedo they are doing more then they have ever done to the same point with other systems.

Vulkan API is not some runic language that's going to squeeze magical spec numbers out of the hardware. Though i suppose it's more important for the Switch than most other systems, since they'd be working with less resources.

Other than that, i'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. Again, Vulkan and Dx12 are the latest and best APIs released for the current generation of gaming. To not support them would be stupid, but the mere act of supporting them isn't much of a surprise given that the console just released less than 5 months ago...it would be more of a surprise if it didn't.

PSP was attempting to chase the PS3 and did it meagerly. The switch chasing the current HD giants and much closer at higher resolution and more stable fps. Comparing 3ds to switch is a joke as well one of these things was chasing the dolphin/cube/wii architecture the other literally for once is a nintendo handheld that can compete with high watt machines in some titles with decent standardization.

For someone who didn't want to crunch numbers or features you certainly weighed in a lot and managed to get it wrong or complete misrepresent the reality of what is going on.

The PSP was not attempting to chase the PS3, i guess you're talking about Vita? It actually did a pretty good job of that TBH, outside of nobody buying the damn thing. The Switch isn't really "chasing" the HD giants as much as it's staying a strategically safe distance behind them...which for the first time actually yields decent results, but it would be a mistake to compare them because they are nowhere close to eachother. Just go look at a screenshot thread and that becomes obvious.

Comparing the 3DS to the Switch is actually not a joke at all...in fact what i'm actually questioning is whether or not devs will view the Switch as a continuation of the 3DS...which is something that I personally believe would be the best thing FOR the switch. As a console directly competiting with the library (and coming library) of the PS4/Xbone, the Switch just isn't a very appealing console in games or features, and no amount of indie or enhanced ports is going to change that.

However, if Switch becomes the new platform for releases like Pokemon, Monster Hunter (too late), Fire Emblem, traditional one-shot RPGs like Golden Sun or Bravely Default...or even cannibalize the library of would-be PSP titles like Dissidia, Gravity Rush, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, Valkyria Chronicles, ect....the system would be loaded like fuck in a few years.

Which is why I said it really depends on how developers view the hardware. But I really dont care about indie ports or enhanced ports of already released games.

In dock : Better than Wii U ( but a bit ) , in handled mod : largely weaker than Wii U ... ( 150+ Tflops vs 300 for WII U ... )

lol no, BotW runs at the same resolution in handheld as Wii U does but with a significantly better frame rate, not to mention this is after 4 years of optimization for the Wii U and 1 for Switch.

also MK8, one of the Wii U's most impressive games, runs at 1080p on Switch which means that docked the Switch is at a bare minimum 2.25 times as powerful docked, likely far more.

This information is incorrect. It's been perpetuated for years on the web but the flop number for the Wii U here has been doubled from the actual number. We know for a fact it's 176. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175838&page=1 -

Welcome to 238 pages of figuring it out we did way back when.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511628

99% sure its 176, wikipedia was just edited by a hopeful. It was just slightly fatter than it should be which threw some people, but the fabrication plant differences account for it. As well as any other changes per shader they did.

wiiudie_blocks.jpg

8 x 20 shader units = 160ALUs, 550mhz = 176GFLOPs. The chance of it packing double the shader units through magic is negligible.

The gradual letdown was sadly hilarious. "600Glfops, worst case scenario. They can't even order a part under 300...That, uh, looks...Shit."

that's why I'm not letting myself expect anything for NX. Nintendo can always be Nintendo Special.

Right, and yet you said the Switch undocked is "largely weaker" than the Wii U. So why are you now arguing against your own point?

OPTIMIZATION and im not sure the handled version are better and have better graphics than the WII U version...

Handled version have resolution scale , not WII U version. ( maybe why the switch port look more smooth ... )

I meaan I dont get the point people are trying to make with gimped ports. Well yeah they have to be cut down. We are looking at a system that at best is 1/3 an X1 in its most powerful form. In it's weakest form its like 1/6 to 1/7. Of course ports will be lesser. Why are people so concerned about it? Getting the ports is more important than whatever arbitrary definition of gimped is.

At best its closer to 2/3 xbone, simple flops numbers dont provide the full story

OPTIMIZATION and im not sure the handled version are better and have better graphics than WII U version...

Handled version have resolution scale , not WII U version. ( maybe why the switch port look more smooth ... )

Again proving you don't know what you're talking about, the Wii U version DOES in fact run on a resolution scale, the exact same one as the Switch in handheld mode in fact and is known to dip to the lowest option far more often than the Switch in handheld mode, and are you seriously arguing that the Switch version is more optimized? you realize they were working on the game faaar longer for Wii U than for Switch right? it stands to reason that the Wii U version would have more optimization work done.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...h-of-the-wild-uses-dynamic-resolution-scaling

Top Bottom