• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much should someone shower in a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shower in the morning when I get up, and at night before I sleep. I thought that was normal until someone told me I was weird for showering more than once a day. Can't help it if I like to feel clean.

i cant shower other than in the morning otherwise my body feels itchy and i cant sleep

C.Dark.DN

Banned
You can skip a day here and there at most.

I shower in the morning when I get up, and at night before I sleep. I thought that was normal until someone told me I was weird for showering more than once a day. Can't help it if I like to feel clean.

If you feel dirty after the day is over it's normal.

Once a day in the mornings. Twice when it gets reallllly hot and humid. Every other day when its freezing out.

Many different factors for me, but I love showers.

N0VAM0D

I'm sorry to say, but your parents sound gross. I personally shower once in the morning, once at night each day. Though I wouldn't have a problem with people who take a shower once in the morning everyday, the two showers a day thing is just a preference for me.

About 5 times per week. I don't have a lot of fat rolls and whatnot and I don't sweat much so I could easily go every other day and be just fine. I use deodorant once or twice per day.

The last time there was a shower thread (I remember) and someone said they don't shower every day, they got crucified for it. So since nobody wants to be called gross and filthy the answer you'll be getting is atleast 1 to 15 times a day approx.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Personally, and for the purposes of staying as odor free as possible, I SHOULD shower at least once a day in winter, at least twice a day in summer. That's if I'm using normal deodorant as an odor deterrent. If i'm using a stronger base (which neutralizes fatty acids in sweat), such as baking soda, you could cut those numbers in half, but baking soda irritates the skin if I use it often. A powerful anti-perspirant like Drysol is about as effective as baking soda.

As far as "feeling" gross or oily, It would take several days unless i'm exercising a lot, because I have dry skin. I almost never shower because I feel dirty.

I was born with overactive eccrine and apocrine sweat glands though. I know someone who doesn't shower for like 3 weeks at a times and they don't really smell unless you get really close. Wish that were true for me.

Prez

Searching "how much should you shower" on Google, I can't find a single link that says showering every day is good.

I can't sleep without taking a shower firzt. I could be piss ass drunk and I'll still stumble my was into the shower to clean up before bed. I hate feeling sticky and gross.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Once a day if you'll be around other people, it's not so important on the weekend if you live alone and don't plan to go out.

Every 3 days. Once a day to be clean is a myth and is too much. More down to societal norms thanks to advertising from decades past (1920s-30s) than hygienic reasons.

BH1218.jpg

"Zeichner and Hirsch say that showering too often (particularly in hot water) can dry out and irritate skin, wash away the good bacteria that naturally exists on your skin, and introduce small cracks that put you at a higher risk of infection.

Both doctors say that parents should not bathe babies and toddlers daily. Zeichner says that early exposure to dirt and bacteria may make the skin less sensitive as you age, and prevent allergies and conditions like eczema.

If you’re so inclined, you can clean the grossest parts of your body with a soapy washcloth or cleansing towelette to remove odor-causing bacteria on non-shower days. (Grossest parts of your body = “face, underarms, under the breasts, genitals, and rear end,” according to Zeichner.)"

The more you shower, especially hot ones, the more you're dissolving the lipids in your skin that give you your moisture. If you're doing this once a day then you give less time for repair and natural oil production. The scrubbing with heavy towel use takes off the stratum corneum on your skin so you're left with dry and cracked skin.

Also, there's a difference between stinking that indicates you're dirty and just not smelling fragranced.

Once a day at the very least, and sometimes twice a day, especially after sports or if it's really freaking hot out and you keep sweating like a pig. You can maybe skip a day once in a while if you don't plan on going out and you woke up super late from a terrible hangover at a friend's place. That's how I go about it.

I can see 6 times a week being passable if you didn't do anything on a particular day that would make you stink (like not go out or something).

But 7 is usually the acceptable minimum.

Every 3 days. Once a day to be clean is a myth and is too much. More down to societal norms thanks to advertising from decades past (1920s-30s) than hygienic reasons.

"Zeichner and Hirsch say that showering too often (particularly in hot water) can dry out and irritate skin, wash away the good bacteria that naturally exists on your skin, and introduce small cracks that put you at a higher risk of infection.

Both doctors say that parents should not bathe babies and toddlers daily. Zeichner says that early exposure to dirt and bacteria may make the skin less sensitive as you age, and prevent allergies and conditions like eczema.

If you’re so inclined, you can clean the grossest parts of your body with a soapy washcloth or cleansing towelette to remove odor-causing bacteria on non-shower days. (Grossest parts of your body = “face, underarms, under the breasts, genitals, and rear end,” according to Zeichner.)"

The more you shower, especially hot ones, the more you're dissolving the lipids in your skin that give you your moisture. If you're doing this once a day then you give less time for repair and natural oil production. The scrubbing with heavy towel use takes off the stratum corneum on your skin so you're left with dry and cracked skin.

Also, there's a difference between stinking that indicates you're dirty and just not smelling fragranced.

Finally we get some logic in this thread.

Anyway, I shower about 5-6 times per week. I hit the gym 4 days a week so I always shower on those days. The other days I shower about half the time just depending on whether I was sweating or not.

kingwingin

Everyday. I can't stand that grease film on my skin in the morning. plus my hair is a rats nest in the morning, no way I can tame it with a comb

can you find someone saying it is bad?

"Anytime you take a shower -- especially a hot one -- with soap and a scrubbing device like a washcloth or a loofah, you're undermining the integrity of your skin's horny layer. The soap and the hot water dissolve the lipids in the skin and scrubbing only hastens the process. The more showers you take, the more frequently this damage takes place and the less time your skin has to repair itself through natural oil production. What's more, the horny layer of your skin can be sloughed off by scrubbing, exposing the delicate skin cells beneath. The result of showering too frequently is generally dry, irritated and cracked skin."

"Dermatologist Jason Emer says that, “The more you shampoo, the more you potentially remove oils needed to protect hair shafts and keep the scalp healthy and moisturized.” "

"Excessive showering weakens your skin’s barrier function, making it more likely to react to fragrances, dyes, and other potential irritants. As a result, your skin can become red, dry, and itchy.

The real takeaway? Showering right is more important than showering often."

TL;DR showering even daily isn't great for your skin or hair. I used to shower twice a day because my skin/hair was seemingly very greasy after that period, but it was just overcompensating for how often I was stripping myself of everything. You'll balance out fairly quickly if you start showering every 2-3 days, and my hair and skin are noticeably healthier than they once were.

-MD-

An entire week is pretty disgusting.

Every day if you're leaving the house. Every other day if you're just lounging around.

Depends on whether you want to be a regular, functioning and socially competent person or not. If you want to, you shower daily - or at least on days when you're doing shit (going to work, going to school, going out with friends, etc). I
And if you want to be a

Couleurs

Every morning before work and a quick one after every workout. Weekends are ehhh, if I'm going out or doing any work that gets me dirty/sweaty then yeah, otherwise if I'm just chillin at home then I might not.

Daily for me but I don't use shampoo so I need to thoroughly drench my hair

Max I would go is a morning to the following night if it's just too cold to shower in the morning

Firehead

Any time after I eat or feel the need to wash my hands. I figure, if I'm washing my hands, why not just wash my entire body in the process? Seems like a waste not to.

Sulik2

I shower 10 -12 times a week. Always in the morning and then others showers after working out, yard work,.. etc

Lamel

Banned
Usually every day. once in a while you can skip a day I guess, but don't make a habit out of it. I try to work out before I shower for the day so I don't have to do it twice.

TxdoHawk

I used to be firmly in the once a day camp, but I think every other day is fine, assuming you're not doing anything strenuous on your "off" day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom