• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much should someone shower in a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep telling me showering every day isn't optimal. Is too much shampoo bad for your hair or something?

(for the record, I also shower every day, usually twice when I work out)

nomster

People keep telling me showering every day isn't optimal. Is too much shampoo bad for your hair or something?

The idea is shampoo strips your hair of natural oils that keep it healthy. I don't know whether that's true, but even if it is, you can still shower and rid yourself of the dirt/sweat. Just skip the shampoo.

Kenai

Showering every day would completely ruin my hair and probably do a number on my skin too. I'm surprised so many people do.. Once a week is pretty gross though...

I usually do every 2-3 days depending on the time of year and my activities for the day. I hope people showering every day do military style showers to save water.

Booshka

(for the record, I also shower every day, usually twice when I work out)

Just skip shampoo and go every other day on that. Soap and water on your body/face daily. Hair cleaning every other day is usually the way to go. You can keep your hair dry, or just run through water through it and not cleaning products on your skip days.

Hell, even just running some water over your body should be a must every day, even if you don't want to soap, just rinse off the dirt, sweat, and grime.

Stencil

Ugh, seriously guys, I know GAF is all fuckin whatever with your beliefs but showering as much as you guys are advocating is a huge waste of water. Y'all will be scoffed at 15 yrs from now when that shit is like [insert finite resource]

EulaCapra

Every 2-3 days.

It's unavoidable to feel fresh after sweat, heat, and working out so on those off days, I make sure to damp myself all over with a towel and a small bucket of the shower water usually being wasted on while you wait for the optimal temperature.

Linkyn

Depends on the situation. I usually shower when I feel that I ought to, or when I'm going out (as in, out of the house). In the middle of a holiday, when I don't have much to do besides get up and procrastinate, the frequency definitely suffers a bit. During term, every day I have classes or social engagements.

Edit: So on average every other day perhaps.

toneroni

I'm pretty sure it's fine to shower everyday.
Use lotion and crap if you feel like your skin is getting dry.
Only time I ever miss a day is if I'm sick of super lazy during weekends while wifey is away.
If you're active and work in an office. Every day please.

bes.gen

also depends on the person i guess.
while i need to shower daily,
also met many people who have mostly dry skin and dont really sweat as much as i do.

You people who shower after every shit need more fiber in your lives.

I wash my hair every two or three days, so I shower every two or three days. Except in the summer or when I've been sweating, then it's as needed, usually daily, sometimes twice a day on really hot/humid days.

I don't understand how a minimum of 7 isn't like standard. For me personally it's like a minimum of like 12 and I think max I've ever done in a week is like 20+.

XBP

Twice a day for me. Once before I leave for work and once after I come back. I was kinda like your parents when I was young OP. Went like 7-8 days without showering.

KingK

every day will be standard opinion
every other day isnt too bad imo

depends on if you are a dirty/sweaty person really
Yep. I tend to shower every day but it's not uncommon for me to skip a day if I just want some extra sleep. Skip two days and i start feeling kind of gross.

sonto340

Jesus people. Showering everyday is awful for
Your skin and hair.

I usually shower every other day, unless social obligation necessitate me to do so more often, or it's the weekend when I can bask in my own musk for a few days.

Unshowered 'stench' was invented by marketers anyway. I think it smells fine as long as they didn't just get done running a marathon or are covered in sweat or anything.

I like how my hair looks best two days after showering, so I usually don't shower until it's been three or four days. Every two or three is optimal. Every day or more is a waste unless you're an athlete or involved in manual labor.

Monocle

Your filth should form a physical layer approximately 1/20th the diameter of your desired zone of personal space.

Are you going outside? At least every other day, unless you're bald and have shaved your body-hair. Then you can get away with a bit more. Body hair does a good job catching stink because our prehistoric mating tendencies.

Thanks great x 1004 grandma.

Furyous

14 times a week is the least amount of showers necessary, IMHO. One shower to wash away dirt in the morning and one to get the rest that accumulates during the day works for me.

SystemBug

3-4 times a week. My hair is really thick so I don't likr washing it everyday and let the oil build up.

I do exercise and workout so I should probably shower more but school is out and I dont have a job until next week so I'm going to be lazy. I used to shower almost everyday but I have gotten lazy with it.

At least once a day or twice if i go to to the gym...
But I never go to the gym
N7ZURZd.png

seriously once a week or less is nasty. you should aske them politely to shower more

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Twice a day. In the morning after getting up, and in the evening/night.

Your parents are gross. Tell them they're gross.

If you shower at night, why do you need to shower again the next morning?

Personally I think every other day is fine as a minimum, topped up with extras if the weather is hot or you've been exercising. Wash hair every other day. Shave every other day

Every day. If one does any form of exercise I can't imagine how you can't. I do average exercise 5 days a week and shower in the morning and I usually exercise in the late afternoon so I shower after I have exercised again. On the weekends when I don't exercise I shower once in the morning.

I shampoo/condition my hair twice a week. Doing it every day damages your hair. I have thick hair as it is so it gets a scrubbing/wet in the shower every day (but not shampooed/conditioned every day as I said) otherwise it can smell. Just because you shower every day does not mean you need to shampoo/condition...

Not showering for a week is pretty bad... people can smell it. If you live with someone who does that or is that person you don't notice the smell.

Maybe all those people that literally seem to bathe in cologne or perfume are the ones that don't shower for a week.

NJDEN

I try to shower once a day, and sometimes I'll do a quick one before bed (it's refreshing and helps if you can't sleep).

I will admit I've gone more than 24 hours without showering, but I always apply fresh deodorant & new clothing... (Situations for lack of shower include LAN Parties & camping)

Aphexian

Every other day. I feel icky if I make it to the 3rd day. People saying they shower daily and HAVE to because it's nasty, are doing it wrong. Usually if you wash yourself that much you are washing away things your body needs (oils) and just makes your body freak out and create extra because you keep taking it away causing a vicious cycle.

Al-San

Neo Member
If you don't shower at least once a day you're literally a disgusting subhuman.

Yes. If you have any decency you are showering 7 times a week at the least. I average between 14 and 21 a week. One before work, one after work and one after the gym.

If you're catching whiffs or your armpit stench, do yourself a favor and take a damn shower.

Newman96

If you shower at night, why do you need to shower again the next morning?

Personally I think every other day is fine as a minimum, topped up with extras if the weather is hot or you've been exercising. Wash hair every other day. Shave every other day
My skin and hair especially seems to go kinda gross and greasy overnight while I'm sleeping, I have to shower in the morning personally.

Acerac

Banned
Yes. If you have any decency you are showering 7 times a week at the least. I average between 14 and 21 a week. One before work, one after work and one after the gym.

If you're catching whiffs or your armpit stench, do yourself a favor and take a damn shower.

I was joking earlier in the thread, but do you people not use deodorant? If you need to shower three times a day to not have reek despite antiperspirant you might have a medical issue.

Not to say it doesn't make sense to shower after working out or whatnot, but god damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom