• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much would you give away if you want the lottery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
if i won the lottery i'd buy a house to my old man and one for each of my brothers in our old home town, in fact i'd buy a lot to build said houses (and one for me) in a little private block so we can be neighbors.

So whatever it costs to do that.

Alienous

$50 million?

Keep $5 million, allocate $5 million to my parents' wants ($2.5 each) - they can give money to extended family if they wish, invest the rest in charitable endevours over several years.

I would have to get some of my family from Venezuela and give them enough to start somewhere else; and probably more on top of that to convince some of them. Otherwise they may end up being kidnapped and then I wont hear the end of it for the rest of my life.

if the whole affair is secretive, then it would save me plenty.

MIMIC

Banned
Probably give away half (or two-thirds) to family and charity and keep the rest for myself.

But in this case, ~$25 million is still a lot of money. Might donate a little bit more.

50-60% goes into savings/investments, etc
10-15% to family and friends
10-15% to fuck around with - and by that I mean see the world.
Charity can have the rest

If I had 50 million from lottery, I'd probably end up giving half away, mostly to various charities that I trust. As far as family and friends goes, thats a weird thing. I'd probably mostly get them gifts and not just give the money. We never really got to go on trips, so maybe family vacations. Retirement house for my mom or pay off her mortgage. Stuff like that

Maybe some to charities, but absolutely none to people.Thats a great way to end up broke

If a family member came to me wit a good proposal or investment, then I'm down. But no debts, handouts, etc.

Marlenus

I would throw it in an index tracker. Live off of 1% a year, 500,000, and my kids can take it over when me and the wife die.

I wouldn't give away any of the principle but i would not spend 500k a year so would be pretty liberal with it towards friends and family.

Would be pretty sweet actually, with a 1% withdrawal rate it would grow by around 6% every year after inflation so after 50 years that 50,000,000 would be almost 900,000,000. Also means I get an inflation beating 6% pay rise every year.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Starting my own business, create more jobs! Then donate the business income to charity, you will ended up contributing more to society this way.

Neo C.

Around 35% already goes to taxation, I think that's enough as my contribution to the society.

I also believe that if I ever told someone about the lottery win, I'd already be doomed. So I would be occasionally generous to the people I love, but I would never give away a big chunk or even tell how much I won.

Platy

Everything AFTER I die.

I would put everything on the bank and live on interests. Put on my will that half goes to charity and half goes to my sister

gaiages

Banned
Cash money? Zero. But I wouldn't mind paying off things, like my brother's house, or buying my sister like a townhouse or condo or something. Or pay off medical debt.

But tbh even then there aren't many friends or family I'd give anything to, and you know sure as hell people who disowned you 10 years ago are going to coming knocking once you suddenly have money.

I'd probably donate a fair amount to charity as a result, and keep enough so I can live decently enough off the interest. After paying off my debts and buying myself a house and car, of course.

My immediate reaction was "a lot", but on second thought, I think I'd just buy things for people instead. I feel like it'd be somewhere between irresponsible and dangerous to just hand a million dollars over to someone. Paying off people's houses/cars/etc seems like a good way to improve their quality of life without overwhelming them.

There is only so much that I would give to my family members, because they would still want more, you can only give so much to them. I would donate to charities, organizations, schools, etc., within my city and be more involved with them as I would have more free time to help out. You can't help everyone though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nothing, thats payback.

I would give a lot back to my parents and various people that have helped me in life, some to charity, then I would start a game studio for small scale games.

Virtually all of it, but not up front. Spend first; get a nice home, cars, vacation house; big stuff. Then invest in a diverse portfolio and never touch the principal. Frankly, with $45 million+ invested, this shouldn't be a problem, since my house(s) are bought and paid for, and as long as I have a few amenities (a pool table, a home theater and a bar), I don't really need to spend much. Give a fair chunk (25% or thereabouts) to charity on an annual basis, and leave the bulk to charity when I die. I would have invested in a quality education for the child(ren) so no need to spoil them with an 8-figure windfall, and hopefully I live long enough to see them succeed anyway.

LProtag

I've got a pretty small family, so I could probably reasonably take care of them, probably in this order:

1. Set my grandma up to be comfortable. She has a lot of health care bills right now.
2. Let my dad and mom retire. My dad is past retirement age at this point.
3. Make sure my niece and nephews all go through college with no loans. This would help my sister out a lot, as she has 4 kids.

That's really the core of my family. The rest of my family are doing very well.

Friends is tricky. I probably wouldn't directly give money away, but I'd take them with me on trips we've always wanted to go on, cover food and drinks when we go out to eat, etc.

Kadayi

Banned
Very little. I'd prefer to invest it in positive ventures with long term benefits for people. Very few people I know are money smart and they'd just piss the money away on stupid shit if given a straight lump sum.

Tenck

Gifting people money is going to be a nightmare. Once you start deciding who gets what, whoever gets less than everyone else is going to start wondering what's going. I'd try my best to be secretive about it.

$25 million after taxes.

$5 million for charity / buying out friends/family student loans on day 1. (I think this would probably be like 4/1 split).

$2 million for family- closing out home equity loans / setting up trusts for kids for college (probably get hated on b/c i'm not just throwing money at them).

$16 million into my Vanguard/ST accounts.

$1 million for house / car. Wouldn't use anywhere near this amount but that's what I would set aside at the start.

$1 million into my bank account and just live.

I'd continue being really generous through life though so it's hard to say how much I'd give over my whole life.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kinda depends how much but I would immediately donate about 38% to the federal government to help them buy unpopular jets.

"Give" away? Probably $0. I would "maybe" help some close family, but most don't need it. The ones that do need it (in-laws) would blow every dollar I gave them, and be no better. My parents are already retired and set, they wouldn't ask nor need money. I'd probably pay to send them on a few vacations if they'd let me.

The rest would go into my/wife's account, invest smart so that my children, and my children's children are set. Over the rest of my life if I could help someone and felt the conditions were such that they weren't expecting my help then I expect I would. Down the line, there are charities that I would donate to absolutely.

I wouldn't be a hand-out machine to anyone at all, even family. Every dollar I potentially gifted would be thought-out, calculated and with the best intentions. The same as things are today in my life, only I have more in my accounts.

*note: I already have in-laws who resent my wife and I because we don't give them money to "help" them.

RinsFury

It blows my mind to think that $50 million, an unfathomable amount of money to me, is still only 0.1% of what someone like Bill Gates is worth. Fuck.

About 1million to cover the cost of raising me and the house debt.

Then I'd so out and figure out what sort of way the money can benefit the world most.

Depends how much I'd win but I'd make sure to give some away due to tax breaks :p
Nah , seriously I'd want to help out those in need because what am I gonna do with all that money
Probably start foundations for helping kids get into college and pay

Id buy my parents a house and other stuff cause they helped me out a ton

I'd pay all my loans and take a shit in front of the main building for Sallie Mae

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Would just invest it all and yearly distribut to friends and family. I am pretty sure if I give them lumpsum, they will blow it all

Phased

Maybe some to charities, but absolutely none to people.Thats a great way to end up broke

If a family member came to me wit a good proposal or investment, then I'm down. But no debts, handouts, etc.

Agreed. I'm not even sure I'd tell anybody to be honest. It's a good way for people to start treating you different and make relationships weird.

Help people you're close to who need it, but dont ever reveal you won the fuckin lottery and are a millionaire. That's a good way for family you've barely talked to to start coming out of the woodwork asking for handouts.

I'd probably donate to a lot of charities.

But let's be honest. This question is just a way to sound generous without actually doing anything, so I may as well just say 99%.

FLAguy954

Around 35% already goes to taxation, I think that's enough as my contribution to the society.

I also believe that if I ever told someone about the lottery win, I'd already be doomed. So I would be occasionally generous to the people I love, but I would never give away a big chunk or even tell how much I won.

This. I would keep all of my financial info as close to the chest as possible. I would also draft a living will sooner rather than later.

Jacknapes

Depends on how much i won. I'd certainly give a fair amount to my parents to sort themselves for the rest of their life. I'd give some to a couple of close friends, but i'd probably keep the rest. I'd certainly donate some to charity.

I'd probably find a few old "friends" would come out of the woodwork if they heard i'd come into money. Maybe some family too

v1lla21

50 mil after taxes? Half to charity and I'd keep the rest. Buy a house for my parents and whatever cars they want. Everything else I'm keeping.

Edit: by that I mean definitely invest not just have it sitting around. Lol. A house for me as well and a couple of cars but nothing extremely expensive. The most expensive car I want costs around 150k and even then I'd be too cheap to buy it.

Shadybiz

Would just invest it all and yearly distribut to friends and family. I am pretty sure if I give them lumpsum, they will blow it all

This is my answer as well. Family and friends would get VERY nice holiday checks each year, with a good portion going towards charities.

ffdgh

10 for the immediate family. Keep a low profile and spend the rest sparingly instead of buying like crazy like most people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom