• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How serious do you take people who say, "I won't buy X from X gaming company again"?

Rektash

Haven't bought a single Origin or UPlay game yet, not planning to ever buy one. So I guess "pretty serious"? Kinda depends on the person ofc.

mclem

Not very.

I just can't muster that sort of righteous anger that spurs these things on. I'd just take things on a case-by-case basis, and if a game does something I dislike, I will react by not purchasing that game.

rouken

what gets the most laughs from me is when a thread gets posted about parity and stuff the the first several posts are about boycotting the game and then when a new footage of the game is posted, people get on the bandwagon again

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

Wait a sec... This was meant to be a steam boycott right ? CoD is a graveyard on the PC.

Hexagonal

Banned
When Bizarre Creations closed I claimed three and a half years ago that I'd never buy an Activision game ever (unless they had changed their development ethics). As of today, the closest I've been to playing an Activision game was Destiny's Beta (and I didn't even preordered it!), but I wasn't convinced that it was a must-have so I skipped it.

Doolz

Banned
Haha, first thing I thought of when I saw the title. Tells you all you need to know really. At the end of the day if people want to play something most of them are going to do it.

I am an exception, though. I refuse to buy any Ubisoft game that requires Uplay and have for some time now. The utter contempt Ubisoft shows for PC users is the main reason, and being forced to use Uplay even if I buy through Steam seals the deal.

vort3x

bf3 was the last ea game I bought.
Assasins Creed 2 was the last ubisoft game I played, I didn't even buy that game. I can't remember the last game from them I purchased.
343 games is next on my list. I love halo multiplayer too much though, if halo5 is good then I'll buy it used or something. Definitely not going to be day one i can guarantee you that, thanks to their MCC mess.

Most people say that they won't and go back on their word the next day. One of my friends is very guilty of this, he always says he won't buy the next COD but he always ends up buying it the first month its out. There are a few people that stick to their word but I doubt its enough to make an impact because those big companies tactics sure haven't change. I'd say they've gotten worse.

El Diabolico

Neo Member
I've yet to buy an EA game in over a decade. I don't even remember what pissed me off, but never again.

It is funny seeing people so casually use that phrase. Gamers are a really reactionary bunch nowadays. That modern warfare image pretty much captures situation perfectly. So much outrage yet everyone still ends up buying and play it.

EGM1966

Depends who they are - known post history - and his they say it.

General the more its a drive by "this sucks never trusting them again" post the more I think "yeah sure".

I believe those who are calm with good reasoning; particulary if they're consistent and it's obvious they'd change their view of circumstances changed.

I haven't bought an Unisoft game on PC since Uplay for example, with their poor support and Optimization for PC as a secondary factor.

If they drop it and I like the game and it runs well then I'd change my mind. On the evidence of Unity this won't be happening anytime soon.

But I'm sure most do the time it's hot air.

Melchiah

Well, I don't own a single game from Ubisoft, and I don't want to support companies with questionable business tactics, and a tendency to screw the consumer, like Microsoft. Naturally, there are some exceptions like having Windows on my laptop, as the choice of Linux laptops is really abysmal. (EDIT: And Apple laptops don't have a good performance-price ratio) I might buy a game from Ubisoft, if they'd actually make one I'd be really interested in.

It's similar to how I stopped going to movie theaters when they started increasing the amount of ads while they raised the ticket prices. It's an unfortunate situation, when all the theaters around here that show new films are owned by the same company. I've made some exceptions, when there's the annual film festival which uses the same theaters, as I want to support them for bringing less unknown films here, and they charge less and show no ads. I'll probably break my boycott due to Interstellar, as there's just no other way of seeing it on the silver screen, without driving few hundred kilometers to another city.

Er, all kinds? I've been playing since ~1990. I just dislike dudebro games and grimdark games and realistic sports games. Can you guess which companies produce almost all the games I dislike? :)

Besides disliking certain themes and genres, I actively dislike certain publishers. EA for example bought then killed several of my favourite developers: Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, Maxis. They're feasting on Bioware as I type this. Not to mention all the DRM bullshit and micro-transactions and games released unfinished and later patched. No sir, I want none of that mess.

Sony, MS and Ubisoft have had a plenty of lighthearted games as well though. Is the boycott just born out of the first two being competitors to Nintendo, and EA for not supporting their platforms?

Er, all kinds? I've been playing since ~1990. I just dislike dudebro games and grimdark games and realistic sports games. Can you guess which companies produce almost all the games I dislike? :)

Besides disliking certain themes and genres, I actively dislike certain publishers. EA for example bought then killed several of my favourite developers: Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, Maxis. They're feasting on Bioware as I type this. Not to mention all the DRM bullshit and micro-transactions and games released unfinished and later patched. No sir, I want none of that mess.
you must be a gog guy

I don't know if I should take it seriously if someone said that, but personally I stop buying any games from SE since the TWEWY countdown.

Mindwipe

I've managed to not give EA a single penny since Mass Effect 3.

But I don't really think of it as a "boycott", I think of it as recognising they are a company that makes shitty product I don't want to own.

And the very few times I've been seriously tempted I've remembered that, and pretty much being vindicated in the long run when after launch they turned out to be shit products.

Trago

I said in the Ass Creed Unity micro transaction thread that unless they get their shit together, I wouldn't purchase another Ubisoft game ever again. I'm standing by that until otherwise.

Vein

Banned
Not very. Half the time they never bought anything from them in the first place. Kids just like to post.

ReBurn

Gold Member
More power to them, in my opinion. I just wish a good portion of them would shut the hell up about not buying whatever from whomever for whatever moral or ethical reason.

Not at all. First world problems. This is videogames we are talking about. Videogames.

From what I understand foliage is a pretty big deal.

Why would anyone care one way or another how someone spends their money?

I mean I legitimately cancelled my Unity order, like I said I would and am now waiting for them to fix the game. Then I'll buy it... used... really cheap. It's understandable to assume words are hollow because of things like that screenshot but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter one way or another.

The only sad part of it all is how people care about people's actions or track them like they're going to get an 'ah-ha pwned' moment. I'm still waiting for people who said they were going to cross reference the cancelled Unity pre-orders to trophy lists to make their point. For some reason no one has. Go figure.

ArjanN

I barely bought any EA and Ubisoft games the last couple of years, and I'm sure I would have bought a bunch more of them if wasn't for Orgiin/Uplay.

If I wanted a game super badly I might bend my principles a little, but as it happens most of their output of the last couple of years was disappointing anyway.

I don't boycott companies, but I do boycott practices. I just started buying EA games again when they dropped season passes. I'm not getting Assassin's Creed Unity unless they fix it and, even then, I'll get it heavily discounted, just like I did with every game that I really wanted that came out unfinished.

I'm never buying a AC game at full price after what happened with 3 (or just flat out buying any of the bad Assassin's Creed games).

I hear Black Flag is really good though, so I definitely will be picking that one up soon.

fcobento

Neo Member
I've never said i wont buy another Ubisoft game or any other company game... But I will NEVER buy another Battlefield game. NOT EVER.

About Ubisoft... after Watchdogs I decided to NEVER buy another ubi-open-world game before the reviews come up.

Melchiah

Why would anyone care one way or another how someone spends their money?

I mean I legitimately cancelled my Unity order, like I said I would and am now waiting for them to fix the game. Then I'll buy it... used... really cheap. It's understandable to assume words are hollow because of things like that screenshot but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter one way or another.

The only sad part of it all is how people care about people's actions or track them like they're going to get an 'ah-ha pwned' moment. I'm still waiting for people who said they were going to cross reference the cancelled Unity pre-orders to trophy lists to make their point. For some reason no one has. Go figure.

That's what I've been wondering as well. It's odd, that some people get their panties in a twist for what others choose not to support. It's beyond me how it bothers them, if others decide to skip a game, or buy it at a decreased price.

IISANDERII

Haven't bought an EA game since 2009. And even then it was a used copy of Fight Night 4.

5 years and counting long enough?

That's what I've been wondering as well. It's odd, that some people get their panties in a twist for what others choose not to support. It's beyond me how it bothers them, if others decide to skip a game, or buy it at a decreased price.

The topic is specifically asking about people who have declared they will never purchase from a company again, not people expressing their lack of desire to support individual games because of issues, which seems a much more measured response when compared to the former.

sobaka770

Banned
It's called overreaction. People who say that and stick to their word might think that they are being "strong" and "consistent" but are really just punishing themselves.

Things should not be judged based on previous entries in the series, publisher or developer pedigree. DA2 was a pile of garbage made by Bioware, DA:I is a brilliant RPG made by Bioware. DA:I can only be bought on Origin on PC and not on Steam, just like Titanfall.

Bottom line is, "don't make promises you can't keep" and "never say never" are wise advice.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
They are tsundere.
Also, i don't take them seriously, because i don't know if they kept their word or not.
Though i do know some poster here kept their word, as in really not buying the product

Octacamo

i have made only two claims of such sort one is for driveclub and another is for AC unity
and not going to buy unity for sure and future iterations as well...

Ryuuga

Banned
I haven't bought a Ubisoft game since the original Assassin's Creed and I haven't felt like I've missed anything. I did however play and enjoy Far Cry 3.

Melchiah

The topic is specifically asking about people who have declared they will never purchase from a company again, not people expressing their lack of desire to support individual games because of issues, which seems a much more measured response when compared to the former.

I was more referring to the past parity threads, where the mentions of pre-order cancels and buying the games used have rubbed some the wrong way. It just goes beyond my understanding, as I couldn't care less about whether someone buys a certain game or not for whatever reason. It's not my place to say that his/hers principles are at fault.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I believe it with single games, because you can easily rent most of the games. I'm not and will never buy Wacth Dogs and Unity for example. E

The only thing that will get me to purchase the games is how good the multiplayer experience is. I have no hype for The Division anymore, but it still might bring what I want from the game. I didn't think I would buy WoW:WOD. I'm down on the mmo genre in general, but here I am fixing to log in and level.

rogue74

I don't take them very seriously.

I have developed a system that works for me though. I buy nothing on day 1. *Nothing. I will at least wait to see feedback to determine if there are any glitches, game breaking bugs or performance issues. If that is the case I wait a while until the game is patched or drivers are updated (PC).

I rarely get frustrated anymore and I save money this way. I have a large enough backlog to keep me busy anyway.

*I made one exception to this: The Witcher 2. Because CD Projekt is that awesome.

XavandSo

Neo Member
I haven't bought an EA game since Battlefield 3 and vowed to never again. Three years later and I don't consider it a loss. Look at BF4. Broken mess and is a copy+paste effort.
I haven't bought an EA game since Battlefield 3 came out.
Holy carp, our posts start off the same. Respect, bro.

I haven't bought an EA game since Battlefield 3 came out. Partly due to their desperate attempts to make us like the pay to win model, partly that I'm not interested in their games anyway.

Bad company was the last one I actually enjoyed and so far, with all the crap that has been involved with their games so far, I kinda feel this was the right move.

I made a decision to boycott Ubisoft after the Watch Dogs PC fiasco (even though I don't play PC games all that much) and have stuck to that so far. Granted there haven't been too many Ubisoft titles released since then, I can't see myself breaking that commitment any time soon.

Such a shame since Ubisoft used to be really great. I know my one boycott won't affect them, but I'm not spending my money on a company that cares so little about their consumers.

I don't even take myself serious. I'm weak! Plus, if I was to boycott ubisoft because of ACU I'd be missing out on FC4 which I am having a blast with.

jamsy

I find it absolutely retarded some people get so mad at gaming companies as much as they do.

Not corporations that harm the environment, exploit the lives and health of their employees, or fraud people out of ridiculous sums of money but....gaming companies.

EA, voted the worst company? Give me a fucking break. So you got a bunch of disconnections playing your brand new game online for the first few days. Boo-fucking-hoo. Shit happens, they're trying to accommodate you and millions of others so you can play a fucking game. You can get pissed, sure. But the extent some folks go to rant and rave against the companies (whose intent is to entertain you) is absolutely ridiculous.

I find it absolutely retarded some people get so mad at gaming companies as much as they do.

Not corporations that harm the environment, exploit the lives and health of their employees, or fraud people out of ridiculous sums of money but....gaming companies.

EA, voted the worst company? Give me a fucking break. So you got a bunch of disconnections playing your brand new game online for the first few days. Boo-fucking-hoo. Shit happens, they're trying to accommodate you and millions of others so you can play a fucking game. You can get pissed, sure. But the extent some folks go to rant and rave against the companies (whose intent is to entertain you) is absolutely ridiculous.

How do you know people don't get mad at these also? This is a gaming site, so of course you're going to see more complaints towards game companies on here.

I agree that EA isn't the worst company in the world, but people are well within their rights to rant and complain if they buy a product that doesn't work as advertised. This applies to any industry, if you buy a product and it doesn't work then of course you're allowed to complain.

Mupod

I only believe it if they follow that sentence with "I'll just pirate everything". Which doesn't happen here, but it's very common on other forums.

Personally I've never felt the need to boycott a company, if I want the game I'll buy it - god knows EA has done everything they could to lose me as a customer over the years, but if Dead Space 4 came out I'd be there day 1 despite better judgement. Ubisoft doesn't want me to buy their games for other reasons, like shitty PC ports and turning every series into a bland nav marker simulator.

Top Bottom