• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How serious do you take people who say, "I won't buy X from X gaming company again"?

jblank83

Believe it or don't, but If it's true for me it must be true for some other people.

Haven't bought a single Origin or UPlay game yet, not planning to ever buy one. So I guess "pretty serious"? Kinda depends on the person ofc.

I haven't purchased an EA game since Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 1. I only buy Ubisoft games at heavy discounts, and only through Steam.

Last EA game I bought was Dragon Age Origins. Never installed Origin and no free game can convince me otherwise.

Last Ubisoft game I bought was CSI Hard Evidence and that wasn't even for me.

Don't even feel like I'm missing out.

Nabbis

Well, for the most part i don't buy Ubisoft games. AC2 and Unity were the only ones so far. I did enjoy Unity but it's mostly because it's similar to AC2... Now i don't need to buy another one for the next seven games, not sure if even then. Let's be honest here, the gameplay changes in those games are something that you would expect from an expansion instead of a sequel. But i might start to truly avoid companies based on some of the bullshit they pull, it's getting harder and harder to find games worth playing anyway so it's not a big loss.

Wensih

I'm pretty adamant about not buying another TellTale game after TWD season 1's bugs. I haven't bought TWD s2 or TWAU, even though The Wolf Among Us looks pretty cool.

I just don't see the point. I mean - Speak your mind if you want to vent, but to use it like a threat, like you have some leverage in this for your outrage. I don't see it.

The world is run on capitalism. Yves is not sitting on Neogaf shitting himself over angry posters, but he is when the stock falls by 9%

88random

I don't know about the others, but I'm serious about that. AC2 is the last Ubisoft game I bought and it will remain so until they get their shit together.

Why should i care? It's their opinion, however stupid it might be. It may speak to them thinking of themselves as more important than they really are, but even then why try and understand their plight? It means nothing to me, and i don't know how many of them actually mean it.

I told myself I would avoid all EA games after some sort of debacle...but I turned around and bought Battlefield 4 and PvZ: Garden Warfare when I got my PS4. I'm usually someone who sticks to his guns, but it's just video games. I'm not going to skip out on a good game just because I don't like the publisher. Looking at getting DA: I down the road as well. Four years ago me would be so pissed at how much I've sold out.

Still not going to use Origin on PC though (as future me laughs at this statement).

Zaku

I don't take them seriously at all. Very few people are willing to full-on boycott a company and stick to it. Even when a company has infuriated me, I've never said "I'm never buying a game from them again!"

I soft-boycott. I'll buy the next game I'm looking forward to from them, but I'll wait until it's dropped to $20. I'll stop pre-ordering their games, because I want their day-one sales numbers to suffer a tiny bit.

Voting with your wallet is effective, and you can do it in more ways than just "Buy the game at launch" and "Never buy the game. Like, ever."

inki

It's not that I think about how serious they really are. Simply put, I just don't care. That's their prerogative and if they feel justified, good for them for doing what they think is right. I have some companies that I will not purchase their products because I dislike them. That's why we have competition.

On the other side of the coin I don't feel I'm owed anything by a manufacturer/creator. I'm acutely aware of buyer beware. Which is why when I'm going to purchase a new TV for instance, I take a good week and do hardcore research on what I'm going to get and the best deal I can get for it.

UrbanRats

I've said fuck Ubi and haven't bought a non Rayman game from them since 2012.

You missed out, because Splinter Cell Blacklist was great.
--
i don't if i've said it in the past, but anyway i tend to consider propositions on a case by case basis.
When i decide to give up on a series despite my interest, it's because i know that it's a type of game that shows well, but doesn't feel good to play (to me anyway).

The only company i blacklisted is TellTale, because their gams are consistently broken and cannot be trusted to fix them.
And even then, it's not final, as they decide to turn things around, i'm open to reconsider my stance.

I don't take it literally; I take it as a sign of extreme dissatisfaction with a company's recent output or behavior.

And for the topic at hand, yeah, this.

mdubs

Banned
I just laugh because chances are they'll miss out on some good experiences I'll be having because principles.

Have bought only a single game from capcom since they cancelled Mega Man Legends 3, and that was Ace Attorney 5... that series needs love too. So a perfect streak? No... but 3 years and only 1 game from another struggling franchise, I think my dedication to no-capcom has worked out well enough for me.

This is what's silly about company boycotts to me.

I didn't buy unity but if they make another rayman or child of light or valiant hearts then im not "breaking my boycott" because that's ridiculous. You make a good game I want to play, I'll give you money. Shouldn't matter who is publishing it

Most of the problems are with the day -300 preordering crowd and they build the hype up to max level.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This seriously.

Condoleeza_rice_small_penis_gesture.jpg

Most people don't have the courage of their convictions so I wouldn't really take any one seriously who said they wouldn't buy something again.

I really have had it with Ubisoft as a publisher for reasons I am not going to get into here. Suffice to say they would have to release a near-perfect game for me to have a modicum of interest.

I think most of those people are going to say "No, buying used is a workaround, they get no money from that."

And when you point out they still get some money from that - in the realm of DLC or what have you - they still mostly think it's fine.

It's either a principled stand or it's not.

Melchiah

I think most of those people are going to say "No, buying used is a workaround, they get no money from that."

And when you point out they still get some money from that - in the realm of DLC or what have you - they still mostly think it's fine.

That's assuming they actually buy any of the DLCs.

Zaku

Yep.

Not only that, but buying and playing used games still contributes to the mindshare of the product. If I look on my friends list and see 80% of the people playing AssCreed: Unity, I'm going to think about checking the game out if I haven't gotten it already.

If you're going to boycott, boycott fully. God knows there's enough games out there to play which are equally worth your time.

I refused to buy Alien: Isolation because of the Crew Expendable DLC business, even though I would have gotten the DLC in the first place. I might buy the game in a couple years, but contributing in the slightest to gating significant DLC behind a specific retailer pre-order is a step down the pre-order rabbit hole I refuse to take.

I bought ZombiU with the money instead and was pleasantly surprised. I also got my horror fix.

Melchiah

I refused to buy Alien: Isolation because of the Crew Expendable DLC business, even though I would have gotten the DLC in the first place. I might buy the game in a couple years, but contributing in the slightest to gating significant DLC behind a specific retailer pre-order is a step down the pre-order rabbit hole I refuse to take.

I personally don't see anything wrong with free pre-order bonuses, as long as they aren't tied to a certain store chain. I bought the Nostromo edition as I could get it anywhere without any deposits, but chose to skip the Ripley edition as it was tied to Gamestop and they demand cash deposit for pre-orders. Not to mention, that it has to be paid in person, paying online isn't an option around here. Too inconvenient for me.

joe2187

Banned
After Dragon Age 2 and ME3, I gave up on anything Bioware related.

Sorry. I aint buying your shit anymore.

I dont give a shit about the series anymore after that. Made me lose interest so hard, I dont care how good DA:I is, I gave up.

Wavebossa

We are gamers, we play games (sometimes). If a great game comes along, we will play it. I wont avoid VC due to Sonic Boom. That logic doesn't sit well with me.

Once again, we are gamers, we play games (sometimes).

I dunno, depends on the reasons.

I myself said this plenty of times about EA and have indeed kept my promise, I haven't bought their crap in ages.

To be fair they're not making it hard on me, same with Ubisoft.

I once saw someone shit on a game for 400 posts in one thread prior to release and then admit he was still going to buy it, just discounted.

Yeah, I don't put that much stock into a lot of the outrage I see around here.

I swore off EA when they screwed over the Dreamcast (and I was right to do so) and started going into super villain mode, buying up developers and shuttering them. The only thing I can recall buying from them since was Madden 2006, when I was big into the NFL and NFL 2K had ended with 2K5. I wasn't terribly impressed.

Ushay

Never take them seriously. I always buy based on my own wants as a gamer. Yes I do dislike microtransactions and stuff like that, yes I hate it when games are rushed out like DA2 was. But again, it doesn't stop me from enjoying these games.

I cant stand mob mentality gaming community sometimes has. It needs to stop, there are better ways to express criticism.

Unicorn

Haven't given my money to EA since Mass Effect 2 (bought it for 10$ on Amazon). Haven't bought a Molyneux/Lionhead game since Fable.

I'm solid on my wallet protest.

Most people I don't take seriously at all. Tehy are usually just upset and venting for the most part, just making hyperbolic statements.

Mine is a different case. I said I would never buy EA games again after BF3, and still don't to this day. (Diff topic) Had I known how annoying Uplay is I wouldn't have bought the Far Cry Franchise bundle this past weekend, but I don't have any grudge against Ubisoft so I'm not swearing them off just yet.

Taker34

Banned
I think boycotting whole companies/publishers is a little bit too ignorant and I rarely take this serious. There are quite a few EA and Activision dev studios who should be treated differentiated. While you may dislike EA and what they do, it would be incredibly short-sighted to act like BioWare is responsible for any action from EA, Maxis or whatever DICE did.
While I won't buy AC:Unity anytime soon (parity hooray), I'd like to reward the FC4 devs because they actually created a decent game.

Kirye

I usually don't believe it. Most people can't help themselves and ultimately decide that they need to play the game.

As for me, it's never been about boycotting. I stopped buying CoD after MW2 because I felt like Activision just doesn't care anymore, so neither should I. Same with the AC series, same with Battlefield. I won't boycott a company outright, but I do move on from a series if I feel they're just not worth it anymore.

Horns

I've bought all but one Ubisoft game used since 2008 or rented them. That one title was on sale cheaper than the used price at the time.

My Farcry 2 save went corrupt 30 hours in. That stuff happens, so I wasn't even that mad. What pissed me off was they released DLC a month later, but the patch took 7 months. Moreover, the patch only fixed new game saves, existing saves were still vulnerable to corruption.

So, I avoid them unless I'm saving money.

LakeEarth

Not never. I tend to avoid EA games just because of the bullshit they pull, but I don't make it a hard rule because they publish things from developers I really like. What am I going to do, not play the next Rockband?

Ponn

Banned
Not at all seriously. Because even if they don't buy from them they are usually companies that make bank every year on the same titles so it doesn't matter. Say it for a company like XSeed or NISA and then maybe it will matter.

I could careless who makes the game or who it's published by.

If it's a good game, I will buy it and play it.

It's only a videogame, and it's not some child-killing PMC group I would be supporting..

As for the people who say they will never buy from a company again; I laugh and keep scrolling through the posts.

Top Bottom