• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Steve Jobs would have presented Wii U at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Someone with the know-how should make a .gif of when he bobs his shoulders during the "Get down girl go'n get down" parts.

But that's not really the OP right? I feel like the joke is going over my head. I guess it's that that guy is lip syncing, and the OP plagiarized?
iDid5kXDZk9tV.gif

Like this?

Dartastic

I can't believe this thread has gone as long as it has. What has GAF become? WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN LOCKED YET. Holy fucking shit.

shuri

Banned
Someone comes into my IRC channel to spy on us and then posts the log on that shithole forum, they deserve to get attacked.
And that's the last I'll mention of it.
Regarding this:

This is what this 'snesfreal' lad is talking about:

Irc log of #nintengaf during the Nintendo E3 Conference. It's rather entertaining to read, people are so energic about Nintendo during the conference; but be aware that there is a lot of colorful conversation and rather obscene/borderline hatred commentaries about gaffers/neogaf stuff

Happy readings!

VegaNine

gCcpM.jpg

Greetings friends.

My name is Mr. President Iwata. I am Head of Nintendo, and keeper of Yamauchi dynasty. When last we met at E3, you were, how to say, a little dissatisfied. You thought that the Wii U was a "bad idea." You thought we may have been "insincere." At that last meeting, I introduced you to a Japanese word, "Doku-so," thinking you would see some sincerity in it.

You did not.

So now, I introduce you to a word I think you can appreciate. An American word.

"Phanopoeia."

It means, "the casting of unusual words—in an unusual manner—upon the visual imagination." It was coined by the great American poet, Ezra Pound, who, in addition to being quite a patriot, was also a supporter of Fascist Italy.

Hmm.

Earlier this year at Nintendo, we began using phanopoeia in our daily conversation. Much to our suprise, a funny thing happened: the Wii U began to sound like a good idea.

To-day, with a little help from Reggie, we are going to use phanopoeia to cast words upon YOUR imagination.

Reggie? If you please—

Reggie Fils-Aime: Thank you Mr. Iwata, I'll take it from here.

1hWjR.jpg

OK, phanopoeia. It's just like magic.

Sit very close to the screen.

Take one big, deep breath.

Exhale.

And now watch my lips—very, very closely. Are you ready?

All right. I'll say it slow.

"Asymmetric gameplay."

"Asymmetric gameplay."

"Asymmetric GAMEPLAY"

"ASYMMETRIC gameplay."

"ASYMMET— "

OK THANK YOU Reggie, we want hypnosis, not coma.

I think we can all agree that Reggie's use of phanopoeia makes the Wii U sound like a very good idea.

"Asymmetric gameplay" is a term filled with authority. When I say it, it sounds like I know what I am doing. Whenever I hear this "phanopoetic" phrase, my visual imagination is filled with pictures of happiness. Thanks to the Wii U, and phanopoeia, that happiness will be transmitted from my imagination to yours. I want you to experience my happiness.

Don't you want to be happy?

*smiles*​

I hope I have convinced you that the Wii U is great, and I hope you will share with your friends the news that the Wii U is great. Thank you for spending so much time with me to-day, and for listening as I tell you that the Wii U is great.

I leave you with this quote from The Hunting of the Snark:

"What I say three times is true."

Thank you.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Asymmetric gameplay is not what should be put at the forefront. It's not a simple concept to grasp, and there are single and multiplayer games that use the dual screen, without asymmetric elements.

As I elaborated in the OP, the main communication focus should be around the best of breed controller, dual screen set up and social console.

Keep it simple, build the value prop around these three things.

I believe it's important Nintendo realize this sooner than later. As says PennyArcade: fix the Wii U marketing, or get screwed
http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...or-get-screwed

Neiteio

http://i.imgur.com/MDQb5.jpg

Good morning.

I'm here to talk with you today about the WiiU, a new paradigm so exciting, so revolutionary, that only our talented team here at Micro- I mean Nintendo, could have made it a reality.

Instead of going into details on the hardware today, we have put together a special treat for you. Please welcome, the tweet choir!

http://i.imgur.com/SHQs4.jpg

That was just another amazing example of how we at Nintendo "get" the Internet, and the emerging Web 2.0 marketplace.

However, as revolutionary as our new WiiU technology is, our success depends on the most important element of all...

http://i.imgur.com/xXHOW.gif

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS
DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

Now that I have made you all feel uncomfortable, and some of you scared, I invite you to check out the show floor for all of our new offerings for this revolutionary new platform.

http://i.imgur.com/yng2e.jpg
This Steve Ballmer pitch was AMAZING. XD XD

Lost it at "DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS."

EDIT: And wow, how did I miss VegaNine's Hemingway skit? AMAZING!

VegaNine

Asymmetric gameplay is not what should be put at the forefront. It's not a simple concept to grasp, and there are single player games that use the dual screen, without asymmetric elements.

As I elaborated in the OP, the main communication focus should be around the best of breed controller, dual screen set up and social console.

I believe it's important Nintendo realizes this, sooner than later. As says PennyArcade: fix the Wii U marketing, or get screwed
http://penny-arcade.com/report/edito...or-get-screwed

I wasn't promoting the idea, I was taking the piss out it. I think it's funny that the sound of the phrase alone is meant to impress. I'm with you in hoping that Nintendo gets it together on this account.

EDIT: And wow, how did I miss VegaNine's Hemingway skit? AMAZING!

Hey, thanks!

Mastgrr

In this thread: people intimidated by lengthy posts, what-if hypotheticals and a topic broached in any way other than a brain-dead question like "What if Nintendo presented their ideas differently?"

Seriously, people need to chill. I hate it when GAF pussies out in their insecurity over something different. The OP's post is no more a waste of time than any other "situational" questions given their own threads at GAF. And the way the OP presented it makes sense, given the point is how a keynote speaker delivers his message to establish a product in the minds of the masses. This, naturally, requires an example of a "different delivery."

So, to get back on topic: If Reggie had followed similar "beats" in his presentation -- repetition of key concepts, and breaking it down as an all-in-one controller, paired with DS-style play, paired with socialization -- would the WiiU have gone over better?

I say, no. At the end of the day, any and all middling response to the WiiU at E3 was due to the absence of games, and the shortchanging of good games they -did- have, like Project P-100. I would like to see Nintendo play up the "all-in-one" nature of the controller more, though, and always while in the same breath of it being part of a CONSOLE that is significantly more powerful than its predecessor.

I agree with everything you said. The unveiling of a product is important as it helps establish a lasting impression in consumers' minds. So far Nintendo has been terrible at this. At the end of the day, as you accurately point out, a great production presentation can't help make something better than what it actually is. It's a mismatch as the iPhone and the iPad were totally different kinds of products from what we had seen before, while the Wii U feels just like a continuation. The original poster had composited an imaginary scenario that, if Steve Jobs – renowned for unveiling products, had shown off the Wii U things our impressions of the console would have been a bit more positive today. But I'd say due to the Wii U's apparent shortcomings, a Steve Jobs-style presentation probably would not have mattered.

Screw the haters, I read this in Jobs' voice and pacing and it was fantastic. This would have gone over much better than the real conference, and definitely inspired more energy and excitement.

The truth is, the Wii U will probably be fantastic, and the launch lineup isn't half-bad. The problem is that Nintendo had a botched delivery with their conference, and people on GAF are stupid-hard to please - they love watching Nintendo fail.

So again, forget the haters. I think you did a good job rewriting the conference. Anyone who gives you shit probably has a pathetically pessimistic and closed mind, or wants to look cool by hating on Nintendo.

The reaction to this topic has absolutely nothing to do with "haters" or "loving to watch Nintendo fail". But you knew that.

Neiteio

Man, I can't stop re-reading VegaNine's Hemingway. XD

The part at the end, with Jack Tretton going "That's great" -- kills me everytime. XD

That post needs to be linked in every Wonderbook and/or Sony E3 2012 convo going forward.

Jack Tretton: It's a great honor to introduce our next guest. He is a world-renowned autho—

Ernest Hemingway: That's unnecessary, Jack. An introduction from you is an insult.

*Tretton shrinks away*

9WMdl.jpg

My name is Hemingway. I'm a writer, a sportsman, and a man. I've been called here today to introduce Sony's Wonderbook. I've been paid handsomely for the job, but had I been given a photograph of this crowd, I'd have come at no cost.

Your faces impress me. I see children where men should sit.

*drinks*

You lot of reprobates. I was never so young!

You, there—in front. I've traveled the world and have seen no face like yours. It's the face of an adult child. Yes, that's right.

Don't shy away! Look at me!

No man who has labored in the sun could give your impression. There'd be no lurching, no paleness, no coyness. They'd be sitting straight! Faces brown, eyes proud, hands clutching psalmbooks. But not you. You clutch a cellphone. Find me one in the hands of a matador!

"Puck." May I call you that? Tell me, Puck—do your veins pulse with blood? Come up here, then, and spill me a little. Spill some of mine if you can. I have your puberty in my fist. Don't you want it? No?

*hearty laugh*

*drinks*

I've only one question for the rest of you:

*stares out at crowd*

Have you nightcrawlers never looked into the eyes of womankind? Or can't you do it?

No, I don't imagine that any of you have charisma enough to woo the female sex, but if you ever impregnate a whore, the rats that crawl out of her backside will require some help. From you, they won't get any. From me, they just may.

That's why I'm here! The Wonderbook! It will morph your bastard pinkies into functioning humans. How, you ask, will it perform this shining miracle?

*appears onscreen: "Ernest Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon"*​

With literature!

Literature is nothing like the shit you read today. You'll find no wizards in it. In literature, your children will learn to fear nature! They'll learn to smell blood!

My book will firm their handshake! My book will give them BALLS! When their wives ask a favor, they'll growl, "NO! I was conceived on a LUCKY DAY—my father was a miserable softie and I won't be the same! It was Hemingway! Hemingway taught me what it means to be a man! Do the job yourself, you bitch."

*blasts air through nose*

So I plead—if you MUST reproduce, and so roll the dice against posterity, then purchase the Wonderbook for the sake of our dying nation.

Then give that unlikely child a glass of cognac and sit him by the TV.

You can curl beside him in the fetal postion. Cover your eyes if you must. Just make sure that bastard pinkie finishes the book, and becomes more of a man than my new girlfriend, Puck.

*drinks*

Good night, and god help us.

*exits stage, drinking*

Jack Tretton: Wow, that was just great.

Godlike. Sony would forever be known as having the greatest E3 ever if this very speech happened.

jgkspsx

My name is Hemingway. I'm a writer, a sportsman, and a man. I've been called here today to introduce Sony's Wonderbook. I've been paid handsomely for the job, but had I been given a photograph of this crowd, I'd have come at no cost.

Your faces impress me. I see children where men should sit.
Best conference fanfic ever A++

xk0sm0sx

Oh wow, VegaNine saved the thread :D

Actually I didn't mind reading the OP, it was entertaining, then I found out it took 2 posts.

So absolutely nothing in the fanfiction arena?

God you guys are worthless.

*opens a Google*

I believe this thread would be in the "fix-fic" catagory. Silly in fictional material, IMO..and a bit weird for real-life :p

Seriously, going by all the info Nintendo was willing to share in Nintendo Direct but not E3, it is safe to say that not having a full blow-out was a stategic move. Time to move on and accept that.

Edit: Lol @ Veganine's post

Jack Tretton: It's a great honor to introduce our next guest. He is a world-renowned autho—

Ernest Hemingway: That's unnecessary, Jack. An introduction from you is an insult.

*Tretton shrinks away*

(rest of post)

I think what made this even more incredible is that I read Hemingway's lines in the SNL Sean Connery-Celebrity Jeopardy voice.

RagnarokX

Looks like this is from the pre-E3 conference where Nintendo hyped up the WiiU by teasing miiverse and saying the E3 conference would be WiiU-only, meaning people were expecting a lot of games and info at E3. Part of the reason their main conference was so disappointing. I was hoping for at more info on Miiverse and their online plans, but I guess I should have known better. Plus there was the exciting reveal of Zombie being real and the possibility of Damaged WiiU Hardware being a launch game! :p

Heh, you know know what the main Nintendo conference reminds me of? "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?!"

E3 was an overall disappointment to me. The game I was most looking forward to that I already knew about was LittleBigPlanet Karting on PS3 and Sony thought Blunder Book would be a better use of their time :/

Stuff like the OP of this thread is just insane, though. lol.

LeleSocho

Banned
I do believe that Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic Game(s) are the first to introduce Cinematic Dialogue Options

192124.png

While dialogue choices is a very common element in Role Playing Games in the early 2000s, Bioware was the first one (to my knowledge) to imbue cinematic element in their dialogue system.

ok, thanks for the bump

Jesus christ that OP. The insane levels of fandom people show for a piece of plastic boggles my fuckin mind. Think of all you could've done with the time it took to write that shit. Talk to a loved one. Exercise. Go for a drive. Watch a sunset. Have a really great wank. Anything actually worthwhile.

When in reality Jobs wouldve presented it as "Ladies and Gentlemen, iWii, $1299" *drops mic, exits stage*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom