• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How the hell does *that* cost $X to make???" (Giant Bomb and Skullgirls)

Margalis

Banned
It's a sentiment I've seen everywhere around the web with each new Kickstarter that gets announced. A complete disconnect between gamers' perceptions of what a game should cost vs. the realities of how expensive people are to employ, businesses are to run, and content is to produce.

I work in video games and it still seems expensive to me.

In particular:

48,000: Staff Salaries - 8 people for 10 weeks

Why do you need 8 people for 10 weeks to make a character when a lot of the work is outsourced?

Games are expensive, no doubt.

But...10 weeks x 40 hours x 8 people = 3200 man hours. Lets say they dedicate only 25% of their time to actual work.

800 hours. For one character. At a certain point you gotta stop saying "That's just how it is" and look at your roadblocks.

WTF? If there are companies out there letting their employees work only 25% of the time, than they are doing something wrong. Not sure what company you work for, but that shit would never slide where I work

dLMN8R

I work in video games and it still seems expensive to me.

In particular:

48,000: Staff Salaries - 8 people for 10 weeks

Why do you need 8 people for 10 weeks to make a character when a lot of the work is outsourced?

All of the work that's outsourced is everything besides the important part of actually creating a compelling character that people actually want to pay for that's worthy in quality compared to the actual game.

8 people working to create that? It's not unreasonable at all.

shira

See now I'm confused. Now I'm no marketing expert and I'm definitely not the smartest guy in what for what costs. Anyways how do you make a profit on a game if it actually takes this much money to make even just a single character. I don't mind looking like the stupid one here, but the way I'm seeing it unless the game looks low budget then it would need to sell like 1mill to even make the money back of what it costs to make it. I know how movies work with their budgets and how they make their money back, but video games will always be a big question mark to me.

Let's just say after seeing this I'm glad that my major is in animation and not video games.

Make free to play MOBA with ~100 charachters.
Sell hats.
Let the community design hats.
Profit.

beril

I think the main problem is that people aren't really familiar with the game, and don't know how ambitious the game is. I thought it was more of an indie title, and while I vaguely remember thinking the game had nice animation from the little I'd seen of it but I didn't know it was really anywhere this smooth after looking at it a bit more closely. The breakdown did look somewhat odd at first since it made it seem like all the animation work was outsourced, but after seeing the dev panel it makes a lot more sense (I still have no idea how hitboxes are an external cost though).

150k is certainly a believable figure for a professional studio and this level of animation but you could easily make a decent indie fighter for way less; it wouldn't be the same game, but probably closer to what people unfamiliar with the game think it is.

Talent like that shouldn't be wasted on some shitty fighting game no one cares about...

now here's $100 go make me a full season of an animated cartoon show.

oh im pretty sure these guys would have no problem kickstartererering a skullgirls animated series with how eager their fans are to pay exorbitant amounts of money for a single new character

Krackatoa

Because there's just that much work to be done on it. Also, not all of the full-time staff are related to the character art pipeline, but other necessary, specialized positions. You think MikeZ can draw?

Branduil

I could do that in my sleep, during the weekend, for like $60 tops. I have a Casio keyboard and a computer if you need music and sound effects too. Let's say, $40 extra for that and a couple of beers if you have some.

LOL. I hope it's not Budweiser.

guys fighting games aren't worth more than 20 bucks tops. All those japanese dev just want to take your money and say its expensive.

Cmon where aare all the money going if they don't even have a story mode? It can't take more than a week tops to Q/A a fighting game. Just make sure the attacks hit and do damage. TADA

Also who is cristina vee?

Reading this thread saddens me... if it's the same ignorance most teams of artists/devs are confronted with, I can see why so many people devalue any kind of creative work :( Reminds me of a discussion I had about current entertainment products and fair pricing where the other party was all like "Yeah, these are artists, shouldn't they be happy that their work is seen or heard at all? True artists don't strife for money blablabla"...

I think all has been said by the right people in this thread about how much effort goes into concept, animation, programming, game testing, polishing if a certain quality and a deadline has to be met (and now think you even have to do and pay marketing on top of that...). The 8 people are probably the core team doing key animation, game and character concept, arranging everything, integrating new stuff in the game. People don't work for free, studios and office space won't rent themselves for free, contracts have to be met... and PROPER 2D graphics do not mean "cheaper to make" than 3D... (I remember some German review magazine stating that something like Wario Land Shake is of such low production value because of the 2D graphics and gameplay that it should have been a 10$ download game :D:D:D)

This is quite different from sitting down in your free time to develop some indie-flashgame or mod "on the side" over huge amounts of time - Which also requires much more work and dedication than many people give credit, I don't want to devalue that at all coming from the same corner doing sprite based animation and stuff for super-small scale stuff (and which is why there are so many unfinished indie projects no one ever hears about because we mostly get to see finished work but I'd assume on every finished work follows a dozen or so games that will never see release and this is probably a huge understatement...).

Props to the Skullgirls team, I would hope for many more small scale teams to come out and break out their costs so that maybe more people learn that GOOD high quality products just don't come into existence just like that... If people think this is too much money, well... there are free or cheaper products, good luck finding the few that actually are of great quality production value comparable to things that cost more money and require more manpower... and if I understand correctly, this is basically a free update for most?? What even is the problem then? "Doing quality entertainment stuff costs money"?

edit: page 7 actually is quite cool :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
With the hang-up on the fact that 8 programmers/designers are working for 10 weeks on the game - doesn't this also as a matter of course include:

- Working on further updates, bug fixes, refinement, and features for the game engine and overall product.
- Working on, you know, the PC version / Steam release, its expanded online features, etc.
- Further design work on characters beyond this first DLC character when time allows so that they are somewhat prepared should the opportunity to make more DLC arise.

I mean, part of the point here is: Lab Zero is basically resurrecting this game from the dead. They *are* the company, not just a few staff members who are fiddling around for 10 weeks. While the primary focus is on getting this DLC character out in a short amount of time, by virtue of the fact that they are the core staff (the only staff) there is naturally other things they must tend to while during the time development of the game is resumed.

Opiate

This is why economics is referred to as the dismal science.

It is the analysis of sacrifices, and knowing you can't have everything you want so you need to make choices. It is the science of tallying up the totals, and seeing how every little piece that doesn't seem so expensive on its own adds up and suddenly you see the grand total and think "holy cow how did I get here."

This is hardly the first time that many members of NeoGAF seem stunned, disbelieving the economic realities of the marketplace. There are still people who believe that EA/Take 2/etc. are all raking in the money so all this DLC stuff is just an extra cash grab on top of their already enormous profits.

i would have done all of that for $1,000 and two pallets of mountain dew

and the end result would have been something that looked like it was created for $1,000 and two pallets of mountain dew.... it would be terrible :)

A lot of all games are outsourced these days... why are there even developers?

How about we make you the producer for this character, give you the 150k and the outsourcing contracts, you should be able to get that done, yeah? I mean they are all doing the real work, no?

dLMN8R

One of the things I've grown most weary of in Kickstarters is games with extremely low target goals. Knowing what I know about software development and its complexities, I'd rather a developer be up front, honest, and realistic about the goal they set out instead of low-ball it with some figure in the tens of thousands for a project involving multiple people for many many months or a year.

I don't feel like contributing to a project where the developers wildly under-value their own skills and/or don't understand how complex and unpredictable software development is. If they don't think that their own time is worth minimum wage or slightly above, why would I want to trust contributing to a project where that's basically all they'd get paid?

Branduil

can someone put these guys on making an animated series instead of being forced to work on another everyman 2d fighter

id watch the shit out of that

One of the animators for the game, Bahi JD, has done animation for the anime Kids on the Slope and currently works for the anime Studio 4C.

iPBC7W5lEqiF6.gif

iv7SI4Q20tFch.gif

Margalis

Banned
A lot of all games are outsourced these days... why are there even developers?

How about we make you the producer for this character, give you the 150k and the outsourcing contracts, you should be able to get that done, yeah? I mean they are all doing the real work, no?

Go for it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This is why you don't discuss with consumers how much shit costs. Clueless people will judge you from their experience of working in a pawn shop.

But on the other hand there are people who appreciate this kind of transparency so it kinda balances out.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Kinda OT, but doesn't the IRS get a huge ass cut from this money as well?
Aside from whatever taxes are levied by the IRS, IndieGogo will take 4% and their payment processors will take around 3% as well. There are also additional fees for failed payments if IndieGogo handles it the way Kickstarter does, and if those backers don't or can't to correct the issue that caused the failure that obviously lowers the final total.

That said, the fees skimmed off the top generally aren't a big deal as well-run campaigns will take estimates of them into account from the beginning.

Man, it would probably blow the mind to some people that on average, your average game programmer makes less working on a game than if he were to be working in some other software industry.

Also, I bet the people claiming there's no way it should cost that much also believe in the theory that if you throw twice as many people on a problem, it will get finished twice as fast.

On top of the bold, game developers often work more hours comparatively speaking.

One of the things I've grown most weary of in Kickstarters is games with extremely low target goals.

Agreed, this is a huge red flag to me. I almost didn't contribute to Radio the Universe, even though it looked amazing, because the guy was asking for so little that he's almost guaranteed to burn out / have to get a real job.

Lab Zero are being really transparent and awesome and I'm glad it's going so well for them. This thread is depressing my balls off though. Seriously guys, at least go read the OP's article before you talk shit.

I think common sense here is right.

They could justify however the fuck they want their $150.000, that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. $150.000 for one characters is way to much, they are clearly not optimizing their budget.

When you are an indie team struggling for money you have to be stupid to design a game that requires $150.000 for a single characters.

Agreed, this is a huge red flag to me. I almost didn't contribute to Radio the Universe, even though it looked amazing, because the guy was asking for so little that he's almost guaranteed to burn out / have to get a real job.

Lab Zero are being really transparent and awesome and I'm glad it's going so well for them. This thread is depressing my balls off though. Seriously guys, at least go read the OP's article before you talk shit.

Yeah, if anything, this number is a pretty severe low ball estimate for the type of work they are doing. I feel terrible for the developers in this situation. This thread, lol

wildfire

Banned
I just like that this thread exists (in multiple forms!) about how the costs are legit, and yet the experts/couch devs here are outright blatantly ignoring the corroboration/agreement of the costs being either standard or low budget from:

Someone who had just written an article specifically about the cost (Klepek),
Someone who's been developing games for years and is helping put out Divekick (Lang)
Someone who worked on arguably the highest budget and most mainstream fighting series this gen (Killian)
And the creators of the damn game.

I don't know a damn thing about the cost of developing games. So you know what I do?

Not claim I do.

This article made me realize I was taking the Skullgirls budget for granted but it's pretty sad how with multiple corroborating sources certain people are still trying to act like arm-chair analysts (even some of them claim to be software developers in other industries).

I expect temp bans coming for people who are smart enough to acknowledge the cost but too easily infuriated by the malevolent stupidity being displayed in this thread.

beril

One of the things I've grown most weary of in Kickstarters is games with extremely low target goals. Knowing what I know about software development and its complexities, I'd rather a developer be up front, honest, and realistic about the goal they set out instead of low-ball it with some figure in the tens of thousands for a project involving multiple people for many many months or a year.

I don't feel like contributing to a project where the developers wildly under-value their own skills and/or don't understand how complex and unpredictable software development is. If they don't think that their own time is worth minimum wage or slightly above, why would I want to trust contributing to a project where that's basically all they'd get paid?

Eh, most kickstarters are planning to sell their game after it's finnished, and with no proper investors they'll keep all the profits. Asking for any more than the bare minimum for the development is kindof shameless when they're hoping to make money from the project people are donating to. It's also possible they'll be funding the rest themselves

Branduil

But really, reading this whole thread, the ignorance and dismissiveness of the animation and programming process is as embarrassing as it is depressing. It's one thing to not know how something works, it's another to be proud of not knowing and claim you could easily do better for five bucks.

With the hang-up on the fact that 8 programmers/designers are working for 10 weeks on the game - doesn't this also as a matter of course include:

- Working on further updates, bug fixes, refinement, and features for the game engine and overall product.
- Working on, you know, the PC version / Steam release, its expanded online features, etc.
- Further design work on characters beyond this first DLC character when time allows so that they are somewhat prepared should the opportunity to make more DLC arise.

I mean, part of the point here is: Lab Zero is basically resurrecting this game from the dead. They *are* the company, not just a few staff members who are fiddling around for 10 weeks. While the primary focus is on getting this DLC character out in a short amount of time, by virtue of the fact that they are the core staff (the only staff) there is naturally other things they must tend to while during the time development of the game is resumed.

The Indiegogo fund drive is funding the characters it mentions it's funding. If the drive is overfunded but stretch goals aren't met, then the money would go towards other ways of improving the game and adding content to it, like adding taunts, new stages, etc.

Barring that, other features are a separate thing. The PC version has nothing to do with this, for instance. There's no reason for the team to work on future designs for free when they might not come out. That's a lot of work for a maybe. Their time would be better spent actually doing something productive.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The most interesting (and unnerving) thing is that Lab Zero has been more open and transparent about their costs than any other company I can think of ... but yet people are complaining about a lack of transparency.

That makles no sense at all and its a good reminder of why its sometimes better to not tell the consumer shit, because instead of shutting them up, it gives them a false sense of knowledge and start demanding even more.

I think common sense here is right.

They could justify however the fuck they want their $150.000, that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. $150.000 for one characters is way to much, they are clearly not optimizing their budget.

When you are an indie team struggling for money you have to be stupid to design a game that requires $150.000 for a single characters.

They were originally backed by a publisher, who can't pay or support them right now because they're caught up in litigation over a different game. Skullgirls had a budget of 1.7mil.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
So $48000 for a single character. I wonder how much Banpresto spent animating this single character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wo_TDS-yMc

I hope Banpresto does a budget breakdown of a typical high-end SRW someday like these guys did.
Banpresto saved some time and money by doing puppet-style animation (drawing separate parts which they then move around instead of drawing every frame by hand) ...so it's not exactly comparable to Skullgirls.

But I'd be interested in their breakdowns, too. Maybe it'd help more people understand that 2D isn't some cheap, easy process even when the studio takes shortcuts.

Nome

So it's worth pointing out that most people generally think of outsourcing art (or QA, or anything else) as being less expensive than having in-house artists perform a task. Not always true. For iterative tasks, such as art, having a proper high-quality outsourcing house do the work can be extremely expensive. The cost goes higher the more revisions you request--we're talking thousands of dollars per revision for something as simple as a 2D concept. The higher you want to set your quality bar, the more expensive it's going to be. The more content you want to tackle, the more likely you'll need to resort to outsourcing to meet a deadline.

$150k doesn't seem unrealistic to me at all.

I've noticed from the quotes in the article and the people in this thread who have been involved in game development, the $150,000 cost is reasonable. The people in this thread who have no knowledge of game design, or have tangential knowledge of one aspect of game design (software development, recording a band), the cost is too high.

From this evidence, if this were a courtroom, the judge would find the $150,000 a reasonable amount.

Dismissed?

Yasae

Banned
So it's worth pointing out that most people generally think of outsourcing art (or QA, or anything else) as being less expensive than having in-house artists perform a task. Not always true. For iterative tasks, such as art, having a proper high-quality outsourcing house do the work can be extremely expensive. The cost goes higher the more revisions you request--we're talking thousands of dollars per revision for something as simple as a 2D concept. The higher you want to set your quality bar, the more expensive it's going to be. The more content you want to tackle, the more likely you'll need to resort to outsourcing to meet a deadline.

$150k doesn't seem unrealistic to me at all.
Revisions used to cost thousands in the audio world as well.

joe2187

Banned
I've noticed from the quotes in the article and the people in this thread who have been involved in game development, the $150,000 cost is reasonable. The people in this thread who have no knowledge of game design, or have tangential knowledge of one aspect of game design (software development, recording a band), the cost is too high.

From this evidence, if this were a courtroom, the judge would find the $150,000 a reasonable amount.

Dismissed?

OVERRULED! I bet I could be a judge for 1/3 of thier salary...all I have to do is yell at people and bang a gavel.

So $48000 for a single character. I wonder how much Banpresto spent animating this single character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wo_TDS-yMc

I hope Banpresto does a budget breakdown of a typical high-end SRW someday like these guys did.

Now I love the style and gameplay of SRW, but looking at their animation, it's handdrawn but the robots consist of many parts which are moved around instead of being handdrawn frame for frame and effects and animation consisting of much zooming around characters and backgrounds - which shows. A SRW with SG-kind of animation for every single robot would probably bankrupt Banpresto ^^" There are many "shortcuts" to make something which roughly resembles proper 2D-animation but it's really not (cf. Flashanimation), but for another higher quality example look at Vanillaware games. They look stunning for what they are and ooze style, but many side characters and enemies are animated in a rather simplistic manner. Moving around single body parts, resizing, stretching, re-forming - characters instead of frame by frame animation found in games like SG or KoFXIII. Just compare some gameplay vids and observe these differences. Also note that I in no way am saying these look bad or anything, but one can clearly see where Banpresto and Vanillaware take shortcuts to keep costs down. You can get a good looking game out of this, sure, but this just won't cut it for most fighting games or games strifing to look like a real animated cartoon (again, Wario Land Wii with animations by Production IG iirc or the more recent, yet a bit awkward and not really fluid at times Toki no Towa JRPG by Namco).

Top Bottom