• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The exact cost, and breakdown of adding a character to Skullgirls (150k.)

joe2187

Banned
It's fan service, but it's not CREEPY. It's the good kind of fan service.

I really wonder if a good part of the appeal to the Japanese is that this is a western animation game- so the art style is something different to them than what they keep getting.

tumblr_lzlj04pWMN1qanw3wo1_500.gif

Ravidrath

Can you extend that stuff? Most of the high end stuff seemed pretty reasonable to deliever on. Or is it closed as soon as you finalize the gogo...thing?

Yeah, I'm going to look into extending them once people wake up.

The custom art and NPCs take a lot of work, and we're concerned about being able to work full-time on Squigly and do all that stuff, too.

TimeKillr

ridiculously[/I] cheap. We can only afford to pay around half of what other developers pay per frame, and ask for a lot more. The only upside for them (if there is one) is that since we have so many frames that one can get more assignments than one might be able to on another project.

We pay $20 per frame for animation and clean-up ($10 for each), and we estimate Squigly will have around 1500 frames.

Why do people agree to it? Because a lot of them are art students looking to get some work on their resume, or they want to work on the game. Like, we had an animator on Korra helping us out in the early days of the game's production.

Thanks for correcting me. I'm more used to having in-house animators so I don't know the exact costs of outsourcing 2D animation that much. We mostly 3D guys or people who do puppet animations where I've worked and not full hand-drawn frames.

Still, it's a pretty good deal, and I'm glad this is what it boils down to, more or less.

Proven

I honestly don't like the game. There's the fact that I just don't play well with fighting games combined with the fact that watching gameplay of it just feels... stiff to me. During animations everything is fine but when players are in between attacks or after certain attacks hit, it just doesn't seem to flow right to me.

But, I recognize quality. Was glad that Skullgirls shipped at all with bar that they raised for themselves. Threw in $30.

Mesoian

I have not played it, but from several folks and from some forums I gleaned that several folks were a bit let down by the emphasis on making sure some characters' definitely received some attention to the boob "physics" part.

You mean like every fighting game on the market?

SmokeMaxX

I have not played it, but from several folks and from some forums I gleaned that several folks were a bit let down by the emphasis on making sure some characters' definitely received some attention to the boob "physics" part.

Are boobs supposed to be glued go a woman's chest or something? People should get a clue. Have a woman with big boobs jump around then complain about "boob physics." What a ridiculous argument.

The QA figure may seem like a lot (and it's around a full year salary for a junior tester at least in Europe) but you have to keep in mind that it surely includes the cost of the facilities, equipment, project managers, seniors, analysts... not just the tester.

I know because I work in linguistic testing for videogames :p

Ravidrath

The QA figure may seem like a lot (and it's around a full year salary for a junior tester at least in Europe) but you have to keep in mind that it surely includes the cost of the facilities, equipment, project managers, seniors, analysts... not just the tester.

I know because I work in linguistic testing for videogames :p

Testing costs on the last patch through Konami were around double that amount - if anything, I'm concerned that we're under-budgeted there.

does anyone know what happened to the posts where the creators broke down in great detail how difficult it is to make this stuff? There were several lengthy posts that seem to have been deleted. I'm trying to school somebody in another thread on another board and wanted to use this bit.

Top Bottom