• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven |OT| Maid in Heaven - Made in Heaven

Hikami

0e8fb38435.png

---
fde17d88eb.png

27a78b28af.png

All first-run physical copies will be coming with the Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven 28-track soundtrack at no extra cost!

Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven
  • Genre: Strategy Role Playing Game (SRPG)
  • Players: 1
  • Developer: Marvelous
  • Publisher: XSEED Games, Marvelous Games
  • Platforms: Nintendo 3DS
  • Price: $39.99 / £24.99 / €29.99
  • Download Size: <2GB
  • Availability: [NA] Retail and Digital download [EU] Digital download only
  • Release date: [NA] June 2nd, 2015 [EU] June 4th, 2015
  • Text Languages : English, ?
  • Audio Language: English
de16e86b9a.png

35989171fe.png

Residing on the outskirts of town as the proprietor of a quiet, rustic inn, Luchs has lived through much of his life proudly clinging to a code of honor passed down from father to son for generations: "When our cherished guests finally arrive, think of them as nothing less than family."

Unfortunately, the inn has yet to receive a single guest since its foundation, leaving Luchs no choice but to excavate and sell crystals - the island's most valuable fuel source - in order to make ends meet. It's during one such routine excavation that he happens upon a beautiful maiden encased inside a massive crystal, and her abrupt awakening triggers a series of unexpected events that include foul fiends, astonishing abilities and miraculous mysteries. Suddenly, Luchs humble innkeeper lifestyle erupts into chaos as he finds himself thrust into a conflict of divine proportions...
844f1177fe.png

• Seven Heroines, Seven Stories
    Each of the seven heroines who come to inhabit the inn have their own stories to tell, and learning more about their hobbies, insecurities, and more through HEART Events will not only serve a narrative purpose, but will unlock new, specialized attacks for them to use in battle as well.
  • Strategic Combat Makes Every Turn Count
    Presenting its own unique spin on strategic turn-based combat, battles place an emphasis on "bowling" over as many enemies at once as possible on a field where players move around freely, constantly making use of party members and their various weapons, attack ranges, and elemental affinities.
  • Craft Your Way to New Skills
    Equipping the "Skill Chips" unlocked throughout the story nets enough new abilities on its own, but participating in Free Battles and registering for StreetPass gives players chances to find rare and interesting crafting items, all of which can be used to create all-new powerful or beneficial skills to turn the tides of battle.
  • A Brand-New Difficulty System, Gallery, and More
    While given a 2.0 patch in Japan, North American players will be able to enjoy all the benefits the patch has to offer right from the start, which include being able to toggle between Easy, Normal, and Hard difficulties, a movie and art gallery that fills itself in as players progress, and a Fast Forward feature for those eager to dive straight into combat.
3d439682d0.png

You might want to check out some of the voice clips that have each character's name pronunciation here.
Some of them are apparently(?) not said in game at all so you may be pronouncing them wrong the whole time!

9c021e5c54.png

**(Check out the trailers in the media section with gameplay/battle to get a sense of how the game feels.)

Elemental Family Tree
ea51315aba.png

Playable character's elements and extra info

Luchs Eduard &#8211; Void
Voiced by: Robbie Daymond

Luchs isn&#8217;t the most physical combatant, which makes sense in context since he&#8217;s a simple innkeeper with no combat experience whatsoever. He does have the Lachryma bracelet, however, and that gives him excellent support skills to heal and enhance the girls&#8217; stats in battle. He&#8217;s also not without his fair share of surprises, so try as many of his skills as possible and see what works best for you. He has no particular strengths or weaknesses thanks to being closely associated with the Void element.
--
Charlotte &#8211; Flame
Voiced By: Claudia Lenz

It&#8217;s no surprise that someone with such a fiery affinity would be among the strongest physical fighters in the party. Lottie&#8217;s longsword, Flawless, is close-range but has a wide reach, so she&#8217;s the perfect choice for clearing the field of fiends and racking up combos.
--
Beatrix &#8211; Frost
Voiced by: Alexis Tipton

Trixie is cool-minded and poised, making the Frost affinity the most sensible choice for her. She possesses the longest range among the girls with her Bowgun, Selbstgemachte Armbrust (a.k.a. &#8220;Handmade/Custom-made Bowgun&#8221;), so she&#8217;s ideal if you&#8217;re into sneaky combat tactics from afar involving barrels that make awesome explosions.
--
Elfriede &#8211; Earth
Voiced by: Kate Davis

One would think of a grounded person if they were related to the Earth element, but Frieda is a bit loopier than your average girl. She&#8217;s incredibly smart and a hard worker, but she&#8217;s vocal and has every bit the attention span you&#8217;d expect from the crazy inventor archetype. She uses a long-range machine gun which she herself invented, called OP4 Vulcan.
--
Gabriele &#8211; Heaven
Voiced by: Christine Marie Cabanos

With the only Heaven element in the party, you would expect Gabbie&#8217;s attacks to be something holy-related, but they&#8217;re more just&#8230;weird. She&#8217;s considered the healer among the party members in the game. Her range with her boxy weapon, Pandora&#8217;s Box, is about as small as Luchs&#8217;, and her various skills ranged from interesting to just plain strange.
--
Diana &#8211; Earth
Voiced by: Stacy Okada

Di&#8217;s the second character in your party to have the Earth affinity. Her spear, Kirin, is about mid-range but not particularly wide, so she&#8217;s best for enemies that are standing in a line.
--
Francesca &#8211; Flame
Voiced by: Amanda Miller

Francesca is the second character with Flame affinity, and like Charlotte, she has incredible physical attack power. Her range is small, but she&#8217;s the only character who can attack multiple times in one turn, so she&#8217;s perfect if you&#8217;re into close-quarters combat. Her weapon, Scar of God, is a pair of claws.
--
Adelheid &#8211; Frost
Voice by: Natalie Hoover

She, like Beatrix, is associated with the Frost element, and while her weapon is a giant shield called Scutum Absolutae, high defense is just one of her many strong points.

9a01999083.png

Maintained by the sweet and adorable Sugar, Luchs' garden starts off in dire need of some greenery. For every StreetPass encounter, however, a new seed will be sown, grown, and eventually harvested into one of dozens of items. Admire them, sell them, or craft them into something new&#8212;the choice is yours.

5df1dfc6ad.png
---
d768dd0e44.png

Q: Is this another Ecchi-Harem game?
A:
The story is very harem-y in many ways, but it doesn't really play out like you'd expect a harem story to. There are a lot of girls and only one guy in the playable party, but contrary to expectations, not all the girls fall in love with and fight over that one guy -- many of them (most, even) are just there to do a job, and consider Luchs to be nothing more than a good friend. And unlike most harem protagonists, Luchs actually has a personality -- and a good one! -- and manages to be a very well-developed and overall highly likable character.
-Tom
Lord of Magna isn't really ecchi at all, save for the out-of-nowhere obligatory bath scene (which is tonally COMPLETELY different from the rest of the game, and the only reason it got a T rating instead of an E10+, since the rest of the game is very sweet and overall quite tame).
-Tom
Q: Wow these English voices are horrible, are the Japanese voices available to choose from?
No, get over it.
Serious answer:
Really? You must have exceptionally high standards, then, because I thought the English voice-acting we got for this game turned out great. It's not our best dub ever (that honor goes to Akiba's Trip, as far as I'm concerned!), but it's very solid, with the voices closely matching the characters while still sounding natural in English (or as natural as can be expected in this game world, at any rate).

We try to include dual audio in every game, but usually we're unable for one reason or another -- either we can't get the voice rights to the Japanese and thus have to make the game English-only (which happens to us a lot), or the cost to dub the game is prohibitively high and we're forced to present it with Japanese-only voices (case in point, Corpse Party, which not only has a huge cast of voice-actors with a ton of lines each, but also utilizes special binaural 3D recording techniques that I'm not even sure any studios around here are capable of replicating).

We were able to offer a choice of languages to players of Akiba's Trip and Killer Is Dead, and will be offering that choice once more in our upcoming Onechanbara Z2: Chaos, but we weren't able to license the rights to the Japanese voices for Lord of Magna, so I'm afraid that game will be presented with an English dub only.

-Tom
Personally, I think the dub came out better anyways just because of Luchs&#8217; voice. In the Japanese version, he&#8217;s voiced by a woman and he sounds like a woman. Usually I&#8217;m okay with that, Oreshika&#8217;s Kitsuto for example I thought had a great voice although he was voiced by a woman. But I think Luchs&#8217; English voice that actually sounds like a male, suits him better.

If it bothers you that much though, there&#8217;s an option in the settings that lets you turn down the voice volume completely.

Q: Is there actually any romance in the story?
A:
Yes, there is

Q: Which tracks does the soundtrack include?
A:
From the Facebook page said:
Every single track will be included in the bonus soundtrack CD (28 tracks!) except for the opening vocal theme, which we weren't able to get the rights to. The opening vocal theme is still in the game fully intact, however!

Q: How was the Japanese players' reception for the game?
A: Lukewarm. A common complaint was that fights were too hard or took too long but that has been addressed with the 2.0 patch released for the game in Japan-- Which has already been added to the English version of the game. (Difficulty options and being able to skip through text)
Another reason; If you didn't know, this game has staff from Neverland, developers from the Rune Factory series. People were expecting something like a Rune Factory 5 but that's not what the game is, thus leading to disappointment.

e6a8816b09.png

Thanks to XSeed and Marvelous for the images and info used to make up this OT. (Taken from the localization blogs, twitter, facebook, and of course the official website, which you should totally check out here.
Special thanks to wyrdwad for the helpful posts about the game.

*I have no official affiliation to any of the above.

Shizuka

So kyute. The game is supposed to be short as well, around 15 hours according to Tom. That's another good quote to add to the OP.

Hikami

So kyute. The game is supposed to be short as well, around 15 hours according to Tom. That's another good quote to add to the OP.

Hm, that so? I've actually had my hands on the game for a little over a day now, 10 hours in so far and it doesn't seem like its anywhere near the end. ( haven't even ran into all the girls yet)

Some impressions:
The game is harder than it looks. (´&#12539;&#65343;&#12539;`)
If you ran through the game on Easy just doing the story missions, I could see you finishing it in 15 hours I guess. I'm playing on Normal and one of the battles took me like half an hour to get through. That was mostly due to me just poorly planning though. If you rush through the game just doing the story events you'll probably run into some trouble.

There's free battles and a shop/crafting system that you need to take advantage of. The only way to get new skills in the game (so far) is by -Buying them, -Crafting them, -Unlocking them via heart events. I wasn't doing any of those so I was stuck doing terrible damage with the beginner skills.
Even then, the battles are pretty challenging so I can see why Japanese players complained about this.

Combat aside, the story is very interesting and the soundtrack is amazing.

Velcro Fly

I think from the one livestream they said if all you did was blast through the main story it was only 15 hours but if you did sidequest stuff it was longer.

Going to pick it up sometime in the next couple weeks. Battle system seems fun and I'm a sucker for games where you collect items and can craft worthwhile things.

weevles

How similar is this to Rune Factory 4?

The OP said:
Q: How was the Japanese players' reception for the game?
A: Lukewarm. A common complaint was that fights were too hard or took too long but that has been addressed with the 2.0 patch released for the game in Japan-- Which has already been added to the English version of the game. (Difficulty options and being able to skip through text)
Another reason; If you didn't know, this game has staff from Neverland, developers from the Rune Factory series. People were expecting something like a Rune Factory 5 but that's not what the game is, thus leading to disappointment.

kunonabi

My copy shipped today but I won't be getting around to it for another 3 or 4 months as I'm swamped with 3DS games. I'm looking forward to it though.

Hikami

picking this up tomorrow

Is there any downside to playing on easy?

Don't think so, it isn't locked in though you can change it at any time
Well actually, you'd have to change it once you gain access to the settings menu since the game starts you out on normal by default

Kieli

15 hours is not all that short. Good length that it doesn't drag, but not lacking in content either.

Plus replayability, according to Tom.

pariah164

Aww yeah, been looking forward to this. So hype!

From what I've seen and heard, this game is gonna totally monopolize my attention.

ss-hikaru

Was wondering if the Aus version would have the soundtrack too, but the game isn't even on the EB Games or JBHiFi websites :|

The chibis in the OT are so cute! And so are the emoticons in the screenshots, reminds me of Golden Sun. I think it might take me awhile to remember the element interactions :p Gardening looks fun! Though I wonder if many people in my area will get this game...

Edit: so I didn't realise that Europe was getting it digitally only...this really kills my enthusiasm to buy the game, it's going to the back of my list now (there's no urgency now that there's no preorder bonus to snag!). Seems like there isn't a Japanese version of the OST either. Hopefully the US bonus OST won't be ebayed for too ridiculous a price.

Still waiting for amazon to ship my copy :(.

Also seems like stock is limited? I just checked and game is sold out on both BB and EB

Hubb

Still waiting for amazon to ship my copy :(.

Also seems like stock is limited? I just checked and game is sold out on both BB and EB

BB = Bestbuy? It is showing as Preorder still in NA, so I don't think it is out of stock.

I'm going to eventually pick this game up, but I've got too much on my plate currently.

BB = Bestbuy? It is showing as Preorder still in NA, so I don't think it is out of stock.

I'm going to eventually pick this game up, but I've got too much on my plate currently.

Umm it's BB Canada. I guess we only get 10 copies total D:

Hatsuu

XSEED
Hello. Jess pointed me to the thread. I was the editor for Lord of Magna, chose the voices, wrote the blogs, and did other stuff like the trailers. Only trailer I didn't make in the OT is Europe's characters trailer (Please do look forward to my last trailer coming out tomorrow, however!).I've helped out with plenty of other projects--and my second project, Ys VI for PC, came out before this--but Lord of Magna was the very first project where I made all the decisions. I was thrilled to work on it, but I was also extremely nervous. I tried working very closely with the dev team where I could, so I hope I did okay.

I'm just popping in here to say thank you for pretty a pretty OT, and I hope people enjoy playing it. It's a really sweet game.

If you ever have any questions, hopefully I can try and answer them!

FiraB

Banned
Interested but disappointed it isnt essentially rune factory 5, will pickup after I knock out my Witcher 3 runs after my two week break, be something to play on my bus rides in the morning to tech.

Cute OT, great title, looking forward to impressions. EU whining:
Would have already pre-ordered it if It came on a cart, but I need to know more about it before I drop 30€ on a digital only game
If the short length is true that might actually be a plus for me, not every RPG needs to be 40+ hours, I have enough of those in my backlog as it is.

I didn't know Hatsuu had a GAF account, at least I never saw a post before :) Hi!

Hikami

Hello. Jess pointed me to the thread. I was the editor for Lord of Magna, chose the voices, wrote the blogs, and did other stuff like the trailers.
If you ever have any questions, hopefully I can try and answer them!
Great work on editing for the game, loved reading through the blogs.

One question, will the game have a miiverse community?
I'd love to take some screenshots and that's the only way to do so on a 3DS sadly.. (besides using a capture card)

Hatsuu

XSEED
Great work on editing for the game, loved reading through the blogs.

One question, will the game have a miiverse community?
I'd love to take some screenshots and that's the only way to do so on a 3DS sadly.. (besides using a capture card)

Thank you! I submitted the stuff required for a miiverse community, so we should definitely have one. I will be very confused if we don't, haha.

GeekyDad

Thank you! I submitted the stuff required for a miiverse community, so we should definitely have one. I will be very confused if we don't, haha.

Seems not all communities allow for screenshots. Is that something left up to the developer, or does Nintendo make that decision on Miiverse?

Also, very nice touches with the manual and in-sleeves.

RM8

Would you recommend this for someone who loves SRPGs, but strictly for the gameplay? I honestly don't care that much about the story even in RPGs :p Also, is this too fanservice-ish?

Hikami

Launch trailer is up

Would you recommend this for someone who loves SRPGs, but strictly for the gameplay? I honestly don't care that much about the story even in RPGs :p Also, is this too fanservice-ish?
I'd say the gameplay is pretty solid. You can fast-forward through text as well if you don't want to read through it. There's just one fanservice scene (that scene is the only reason the game was even rated T instead of E10+), besides that there isn't much.

GeekyDad

Yeah, definitely impressive packaging. Hat's off to XSEED. Even the CD case is quite nice. Glad I pre-ordered.

Hatsuu

XSEED
Seems not all communities allow for screenshots. Is that something left up to the developer, or does Nintendo make that decision on Miiverse?

Also, very nice touches with the manual and in-sleeves.

I think it depends. Some games aren't built for screenshot taking, others are, and then you can choose whether you want the community to be screenshot-friendly or not from there. I always request to have screenshots be taken when possible because I like seeing everyone's reactions to certain lines, so hopefully LoM's community allows it!

Top Bottom