• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' Was Almost Instantly Emulated for PC

Some people, let's call them adults, can do things like read the article linked in the OP and find all the information on the topic at hand.

They don't need every detail crammed into a forum title like toddlers.

Also, the video isn't fake btw.

The point is, they are way ahead of what anyone thought they would be mere days after release. The intro is playable, although at a poor frame rate. There's still a lot of work to be done, but it looks like this will be achievable in months, not years.

I wasn't calling the OP on it, title is the same on motherboard, also I'm sure the author went and checked the real video https://streamable.com/vm3ju instead of just doing a quick youtube search and choosing one with a magically modified CEMU which is closed source and on top of that with a bunch of pirated games https://youtu.be/N6WNa-PG0mc?t=19. Sarcasm BTW.

LordRaptor

They can't; emulators are legal.

I don't think they'd have a legal leg to stand on, unless they are distributing WiiU software with CEMU, which they aren't AFAIK.

It's still not a super great idea to be making a closed source, for profit, emulator capable of running high profile contemporary games as I'm sure the Connectix VGS or bleem! authors would attest.

e:
also not sure mainstream media painting a giant target on the authors back by bringing it to mainstream attention is a super good idea either

They can't; emulators are legal.

They aren't illegal but considering people use them for piracy, and they have versions of Zelda and Mario Kart and maybe other Wii U ports that are now going to directly compete with better looking and free software I don't think the case would be as open and shut as you think. Also they're making money off of it, that's never a good idea.

I will play it now on the Switch and in a year or two (when they have ironed out all of the bugs) I will play it again in 4K.

b0bbyJ03

I bought Z:BoW for the Wii U and was going to play it after Horizon but if I can play it on my PC using my own ISO then that's definitely the route I'd like to go. This is awesome.

senj

The cynic in me feels that they have incentive to drag out development as long as possible, provided they still get the patrons, given this.

Ehhhhhh.

8k a month split between two people is $48K a year each, pre-tax. Patreon probably gets a cut of that too. That's nothing to sneeze at, but with decent software development skills, which these guys have, they could be making double that pretty much anywhere, with benefits on top.

Now, they get to work on something they enjoy doing, self-directed, and make scratch to keep a roof over their head besides, and that's not nothing, but it's not a retirement plan either.

I don't think they'd have a legal leg to stand on, unless they are distributing WiiU software with CEMU, which they aren't AFAIK.

Most of time this is true.
But with CEMU they are profiting from it, and they are getting a lot of donations regularly.

Nintendo would usually have a hard time legally, but when people are profiting from it then it's a different matter i think.
Still looking forward to seeing zelda running how it deserves.

LordOfChaos

Ehhhhhh.

8k a month split between two people is $48K a year each, pre-tax. Patreon probably gets a cut of that too. That's nothing to sneeze at, but with decent software development skills, which these guys have, they could be making double that pretty much anywhere, with benefits on top.

Now, they get to work on something they enjoy doing, self-directed, and make scratch to keep a roof over their head besides, and that's not nothing, but it's not a retirement plan either.

Is this their full time job, or a side thing they do for fun (and 48K a year now)?

udivision

They aren't illegal but considering people use them for piracy, and they have versions of Zelda and Mario Kart and maybe other Wii U ports that are now going to directly compete with better looking and free software I don't think the case would be as open and shut as you think. Also they're making money off of it, that's never a good idea.
You really can't C&D an emulator.

They would if they could. I feel like Nintendo would've be all over that for the past dozen emulators.

Lister

Banned
But with CEMU they are profiting from it, and they are getting a lot of donations regularly.

Nintendo would usually have a hard time legally, but when people are profiting from it then it's a different matter i think.

I don't think that's true. Emulators are legal, makign money off of emulator work is NOT illegal. Now is it actionable in terms of a lawsuit? I dont think that's going to work well. It would be a slam dunk if they were distributing games, but they aren't.

If anything this should show, woudl show, any savvy company, that there is a market for their games outside their hardware ecosystem that is ripe for exploring.

If Nintendo came out wih their own software store on PC with reasonable prices (don't try to sell me the original zelda for $60), I know I and a LOT of PC gamers would be spending hundreds of dollars on their store.

Give me a Zelda collection + BOTW running at unlocked resolutions (where possible, obviously probably not earlier zeldas) and I'd spend $150 on that, no problem.

Emulators, given that Nintendo would never do that, are the enxt best thing, and they at least allow Nintendo to see some of my money. I have zero interest in a Switch, Would not ever pick one up. And the WiiU experience would be a poor one. Once CEMU has it runnig well they'll be seeing my $60 though.

Mivey

Just Google for "Bleem emulator". Sony has fought and lost that fight long ago. Emulators are just software, that you can sell. What you do with that software is your business.
you mean Bleem!
Yeah, my bad.

madjoki

I don't think that's true. Emulators are legal, makign money off of emulator work is NOT illegal. Now is it actionable in terms of a lawsuit? I dont think that's going to work well. It would be a slam dunk if they were distributing games, but they aren't.

Even if it's legal, lawsuit could easily kill developers with lawyer fees.

(like Bleem vs Sony)

LilJoka

No, it is open and shut just as it is for BitTorrent clients.

It's great that the game is somewhat running.

Lister

Banned
Even if it's legal, lawsuit could easily kill developers with lawyer fees.

(like Bleem vs Sony)

Yeah but that was back when the quesiton was still being tested by the courts. This is now settled case law.

I would imagine the devs could secure pro-bono lawyers to take this on and have Nintendo on the hook for fees for a case they would almost certainly lose.

Can someone explain how emulated games are legal? I understand it's not the same code, but it's still the same game. I can understand if it's meant for game preservation, but not for games still being sold on the market. How are games not protected by copyright laws?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Very eager to see how this pans out. I'm fine playing on real hardware but I'd like to revisit this in the future via emulation. Playing Metroid Prime late last year at 4K60 was a blast and it just looked remarkable.

Durante

Can someone explain how emulated games are legal? I understand it's not the same code, but it's still the same game. I can understand if it's meant for game preservation, but not for games still being sold on the market. How are games not protected by copyright laws?
Games are protected by copyright law.
What is absolutely legal is emulating a game that you legally own, because where is the copyright infringement supposed to occur there?

They are protected by copyright, and even ripping legally bought games is illegal in some countries.

But creating and even selling an emulator to play said ripped copies is not illegal.

Mifec

Until it's playable or until it's perfect? Because I think the latter might take a bit longer.

The CEMU dev's estimate was 2-4 until it's fully playable. (not perfect)
Very eager to see how this pans out. I'm fine playing on real hardware but I'd like to revisit this in the future via emulation. Playing Metroid Prime late last year at 4K60 was a blast and it just looked remarkable.

I'd love to read an article/see a video comparison one day.

Magnus

Why not? For 2d games I can understand purists not liking what emu's do to the graphics but for 3d games I see no draw back. Playing Mario Galaxy in 4k using a wii remote and nunchuk (or controller if you prefer) is just bliss.

Did they ever get it to work flawlessly without the music dropping every 5 mins?

Arrrammis

Because in order to get the game, you need the physical copy, unless you go online and pirate it. Most emulators (such as CEMU) provides a guide on how to get a game working using an app on the Wii U, which is required to get the ROM file to run the game. There are places to pirate these ROM files, but that's just as illegal as stealing the physical game from a store or pirating any other game. There is no legal difference between playing Mario Kart on the Wii U and playing the same Mario Kart on an emulator, since you had to buy the game from Nintendo either way.

Mivey

Bleem was never intended to be used for piracy though.
Suggesting that CEMU is? You are insulting the dev and every legitimate user of it. Piracy will always exist on PC, just as it exists for PC games. It's existence does not make everyone on the platform a criminal, nor deserving of being accused as such.

Because in order to get the game, you need the physical copy, unless you go online and pirate it. Most emulators (such as CEMU) provides a guide on how to get a game working using an app on the Wii U, which is required to get the ROM file to run the game. There are places to pirate these ROM files, but that's just as illegal as stealing the physical game from a store or pirating any other game. There is no legal difference between playing Mario Kart on the Wii U and playing the same Mario Kart on an emulator, since you had to buy the game from Nintendo either way.

1. Theft and piracy are certainly not treated in the same way in most countries. In most (common law) countries theft is a criminal offence whereas acts of piracy such as described here are a civil offence.

2. As I mentioned above, ripping the code from a purchased copy isn't legal in all countries.

Parahan

After seeing this, I hope Nintendo gets those Wiiu ports on switch asap. Unlike Wii, very few bought Wii u and won't bother with ports on switch if they come really late and they have a decent computer.

You really can't C&D an emulator.

They would if they could. I feel like Nintendo would've be all over that for the past dozen emulators.

Like taking down Dolphin or SNES9x would be ridiculous because those on old consoles that are done for free but with CEMU, you have it running software that is directly competing with games that are still or directly released on the market that anybody can get for free because nowhere are they saying "Please Support the Official Release" in a clear and obvious spot and they're making money off of it. No one has gone after emulators since Sony (which that alone destroyed Bleem and the like) because most emulators are either based off of old hardware or don't run games very well. Normally I agree with that your sentiment and I use emulators all the time but I don't think Nintendo's going to take this lying down especially with their recent track record of taking down fan games and the like.

Neither is CEMU.
Except Bleem explicitly states that you use PS1 discs.

LordRaptor

Yeah but that was back when the quesiton was still being tested by the courts. This is now settled case law.

bleem! was settled case law (Sony vs Connectix) when the suit against bleem! was filed.
they weren't litigating because they had a genuine belief that case law stood on their side (because it didn't).

They were litigating to destroy it as a product and put its makers out of business.
It worked.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah, me neither. Nobody is going to work on the source code. I am fine with 4k30fps.
You can play Super Mario Sunshine at 60 FPS via Dolphin. It's a bit of a hack job but it works real well. Hugely dependant on the games themselves, but it is a possibility.

Did they ever get it to work flawlessly without the music dropping every 5 mins?

I've 100% completed galaxy 1+2 and both work perfectly, music included. Metroid prime trilogy is probably the game that runs least well for me, though I'm not sure if that's because the game is building the shader cache (think that's the right terminology) when you enter new areas. (980ti + 4790k @ 4.5ghz)

Top Bottom