• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

droopy

L4D had matchmaking, a listen server, and dedicated servers. I don't understand why these are mutually exclusive all of a sudden. Granted, matchmaking is still an extremely terrible idea on the PC.
If there are no ded. servers, this will be the lamest PC multiplayer decision until SC2 is released without LAN support.

Lince

Banned
I guess CoD4 didn't sell enough to warrant dedicated servers for the sequel

lol?

I hate the CoD franchise so I don't care but this decision is hilarious.

ezekial45

Banned
Lince said:
I guess CoD4 didn't sell enough to warrant dedicated servers for the sequel

lol?

I hate the CoD franchise so I don't care but this decision is hilarious.
Piracy affected COD4 in a big way. So i'm assuming they don't wanna bother with implementing dedicated servers..

demolitio

I knew there was a reason I preordered the console version. I just had a feeling that the PC version would let me down in some way. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
CoD 4 had a big problem with people hosting cracked servers to play pirated copies. I would assume that knowledge helped make the decision.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
_tetsuo_ said:
CoD 4 had a big problem with people hosting cracked servers to play pirated copies. I would assume that knowledge helped make the decision.

People pirated it, so screw the entire community. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Slavik81

Remind me again why people are going to buy this game? They clearly don't care about their customers, and they keep ripping away the things people like about PC games.

demolitio said:
I knew there was a reason I preordered the console version. I just had a feeling that the PC version would let me down in some way. :lol
You're not going to find dedicated servers on the console version either...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
EviLore said:
People pirated it, so screw the entire community. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Anything Activision does to make more money doesn't surprise me at this point.

Slavik81 said:
Remind me again why people are going to buy this game?

well I was looking forward to some multiplayer, but if I wanted shitty match making Id lower my standards and just buy it on my 360. now im kinda debating getting it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
console fps and its bottom feeding gaggle of fanchildren continues to successfully regress the genre to pre-quake standards.

expect more of this in every mw2 thread going. buy this game and you're a fucking dolt.

x3sphere

_tetsuo_ said:

It's still a careless decision. This is sort of a lose-lose situation for them. It sounds like Acti will be hosting the backend servers themselves so that'll cost them more money, practically negating any cost benefit offered by thwarting piracy in the long run. Not only that, but they have pissed the community off now. There are many people who will not buy this on PC now, based purely on the fact that no dedicated server software will be available.

x3sphere said:
It's still a careless decision. This is sort of a lose-lose situation for them. It sounds like Acti will be hosting the backend servers themselves so that'll cost them more money, practically negating any cost benefit offered by thwarting piracy in the long run. Not only that, but they have pissed the community off now. There are many people who will not buy this on PC now, based purely on the fact that no dedicated server software will be available.

and then they will point to the slumping sales, to not release another pc version of CoD.

its so great seeing so many pc franchises over the last decade raped and stolen away isnt it! :lol

careful

Maybe I'm not understanding it right.. Will there still be dedicated servers hosted by Activision? They are only disabling end-user servers so that they can control users going Prestige. I'm assuming they did this to allow Prestige in the PC version.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well I guess this helps to ensure they can sell DLC to PC gamers if they want to.

It seems like they are doing their best to make the game a failure on PC.

I'm of the belief that Activision at this point is out of touch with reality and the prices that consumers are willing to pay for games and peripherals. I think (and hope) that they won't do as well as they expect this holiday season.

Yazus

Teknopathetic said:
Absolutely comical. There's nothing Activision/IW can say to justify this. MW was pretty meh, MW2's not even worth looking at now.

This. People pirating copies is NOT a valid reason either. I mean, was MW one of the best selling game ever? And Activision doesn't find it a good reason to have PC dedicated servers? Something's wrong in Kotick mind.

RedSwirl

From what I'm hearing dedicated servers just aren't gonna be there day 1.

By "more steam support" I hope they mean the ability to activate on Steam from a retail copy.

Also, if the PC version of the game ends up getting "downgraded" to the same features as the console versions, won't it still be better by default due to graphics and controls? Then again, that'll still make it inferior to other PC shooters.

If this turns out as bad as it's looking, I just might have to get Left 4 Dead 2 on PC instead of this game. Between those two games, Phantasy Star Zero, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, there's actually a lot of new multiplayer choices coming along that week.

Dance In My Blood said:
Well I guess this helps to ensure they can sell DLC to PC gamers if they want to.

How's that?

ghst said:
console fps and its bottom feeding gaggle of fanchildren continues to successfully regress the genre to pre-quake standards.

expect more of this in every mw2 thread going. buy this game and you're a fucking dolt.

Damned console peasants!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
maybe the lack of Dedicate Servers is prepwork towards a Call of Duty subscription.

I can see it now..
COMING IN FEB!
$4.99 a month!
Includes exclusive skins,Tags!,and ServerBrowsers! and don't forget access to Activision Dedicated Server Farm!

J/king of coarse...or Am I?

Vercingetorix said:
How's that?

Damned console peasants!

well when you lower the barrier to entry (which previously for online gaming was higher than now), you let in the "good with the bad", which in the case of xbox live is probably 1 cool person out of 100, screeching 10 year olds that either got beat too hard in their lives or not enough.

at least with a dedicated server you can get to know the people and its "community" where the "screeching retards" get delt with like they should be.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
We should start a petition and boycott the game. Perhaps Kotick will fly us out and have us shot.

Kade

Let's give pirates more reasons to pirate our game!

I was considering getting this game but fuck that.

Awesome.

Next they announce their brand new ActOn™ subscription service. Get the most out of your Modern Warfare 2 experience with exclusive ActOn™ features such as matchmaking and leaderboards. *

Act On it!™

*Activision Online™ subscription required for online play.

alba

Little is the new Big
No dedicated servers, this will not go well with the community and I ain't buying for sure now :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Vercingetorix said:
Ah, didn't even think of modded servers. They can't mod P2P stuff, can they?
It depends. Usually it's very easy to detect differences in the files, so when it goes through Activision's servers to set things up they can essentially shut down anything that isn't standard.

Matchmaking is just a much more supportive venue for pay for DLC because it doesn't have a server bringing up a map some people don't have.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Honestly, I lost interest in the franchise by the time 2 came out (too much MOH), but this just seals the deal that I'll have zero interest in this title. What a disaster.

kitch9

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Remind me again why people are going to buy this game? They clearly don't care about their customers, and they keep ripping away the things people like about PC games.

You'll not find hackers with aim bots either. Pc needs dedicated servers with admins or this becomes rife and ruins the game. 1 aim botter can kill a server. I hope this ain't true.

Mikey Jr.

Vercingetorix said:
Ah, didn't even think of modded servers. They can't mod P2P stuff, can they?

If they can't mod, then this is probably the BIGGEST reason they went with no dedicated servers.

If they can force people to play only original maps, they will make a killing with the DLC.

Lets say 3 DLC maps at 10 bucks a pop, thats $30 of potential profit per user. If Activision can find a way to charge PC users, you bet your sweet ass they will.

Retrofluxed

Wow, first it was the $60 price tag, but I got in on a good trade-in deal so that was easier to swallow, but no dedicated servers? I'm running up to Gamestop and moving my credit to something else now.

1-D_FTW

Had no intention of buying this, but I can't believe they did this. I'm still secretly hoping L4D2 goes back to the PC model. Matchmaking for me in that game is beyond awful. If I don't go through groups, openserverbrowser, or friends to manually pick a server, matchmaking actively searches out the shittiest server it can find. WTF is wrong with publishers? Are they mad PC gaming was surviving on life support and machmaking is the latest brain storm to finally kill it?

Top Bottom