• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

No dedicated servers for what's going to be the biggest mulitplayer shooter released all year? This makes no sen--

kotickinvst.jpg

Oh.

Mikey Jr. said:
If they can't mod, then this is probably the BIGGEST reason they went with no dedicated servers.

If they can force people to play only original maps, they will make a killing with the DLC.

Lets say 3 DLC maps at 10 bucks a pop, thats $30 of potential profit per user. If Activision can find a way to charge PC users, you bet your sweet ass they will.

If this is the logic it's a dumb decision. The PC doesn't work like consoles do, especially for things like online play. The only conclusion I can come to is that Activision doesn't care enough about the PC to make the effort required. I hope it doesn't go well for them, there are plenty of companies doing the PC right, there's really no need for those that want to half-ass it.

Brad Wardell's thoughts on GFWL were pretty interesting too. I got a similar feeling from MS- they're focused on the console space, and don't really want to bother competing with Steam.

On the plus side, if the game launches like this, it will save me the trouble of even considering it. I'd love another FPS option, but I had my fill of laggy online play by the time quake 2 came out.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
droopy said:
L4D had matchmaking, a listen server, and dedicated servers. I don't understand why these are mutually exclusive all of a sudden. Granted, matchmaking is still an extremely terrible idea on the PC.
If there are no ded. servers, this will be the lamest PC multiplayer decision until SC2 is released without LAN support.
Is that seriously going to happen?

WHY?

Enosh

kitch9 said:
You'll not find hackers with aim bots either. Pc needs dedicated servers with admins or this becomes rife and ruins the game. 1 aim botter can kill a server. I hope this ain't true.

it uses the steam anti hack thingy afaik

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
See, I fucking knew it was going to be worse.

But oh no, it doesn't stop here. There's something else, I just know

Mikey Jr.

BolognaOni said:
If this is the logic it's a dumb decision. The PC doesn't work like consoles do, especially for things like online play. The only conclusion I can come to is that Activision doesn't care enough about the PC to make the effort required. I hope it doesn't go well for them, there are plenty of companies doing the PC right, there's really no need for those that want to half-ass it.

COD 1, COD 2, COD4, WAW.

All had dedicated server support.

Now one of the most anticipated games in recent years decides NOT to put in the effort? Hell, just use the framework from COD4 and WaW.

I don't believe the effort excuse. Theres definitely something else to this.

BobsRevenge

Mikey Jr. said:
COD 1, COD 2, COD4, WAW.

All had dedicated server support.

Now one of the most anticipated games in recent years decides NOT to put in the effort? Hell, just use the framework from COD4 and WaW.

I don't believe the effort excuse. Theres definitely something else to this.
Yeah, I'm thinking its the map DLC angle and not wanting mods.

Slavik81

BobsRevenge said:
Is that seriously going to happen?

WHY?
Spawn copies over LAN were good for getting people with the game to play with people who didn't own it, potentially convincing them to buy the game. Perhaps because Blizzard is no longer nearly as small as they were, they can now do more direct marketing, and retain more control over how people use their product.

Blizzard's not a small group of dedicated people anymore. These days they've got a lot of hungry mouthes to feed.

Drakeon

Looks like Gerstmann was right on about them figuring out a way to charge people for DLC on the PC. He predicted that a few weeks ago on the bombcast when he heard about the $60 price tag for PC.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I said in the other thread but without a proper online component then I'd expect to see more people downloading the game since they won't need a CD key to play online.

Mikey Jr.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799

Skip to 1:41.

Robert Bowling.

Flat out.

NO DEDICATED SERVERS. Matchmaking only.

They ask him about custom content. He completely skips around the issue. He knows that there won't be custom content but doesnt want to embarass himself.

Wow, MW2 has changed for the worse.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Man, and to think they almost convinced me to drop 60 on this because of the latest trailers. In the end it's no big loss for me.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Mikey Jr. said:

Robert Bowling.

Flat out.

They ask him about custom content. He completely skips around the issue. He knows that there won't be custom content but doesnt want to embarass himself.

gaming has changed for the worse.

Zzoram

Regression indeed. They know their DLC can't compete with free custom maps so they're trying to eliminate the competition.

Good thing I am not interested in CoD games. I made the mistake of buying WaW during a Steam sale and hated it.

Malvolio

And to think people still laugh when I tell them I quit WoW because of my Activision boycott. These people can not be rewarded for making decisions like this. Every cent that is given to them now will only make it harder to stop them from doing things like this in the future. Sorry IW and Blizz, you make great games, but I will happily go without if it means keeping my pennies out of Kotick's hands.

Mikey Jr.

Also, apparently it's P2P.

Hahaha, ohh man. This is just a massive fucking joke now.

Basically what the PC guys are buying is the console version.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Mikey Jr. said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they removed KBM support.

Zzoram

Mikey Jr. said:

At the console price too. I'm never buying Activision again. I might buy some Blizzard games though, but nothing with Activision's logo on it. Good thing there are so many other good games out there to keep me busy.

Darklord

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:

Robert Bowling.

Flat out.

They are doing it for the gamers? I hate Activision and IW are arseholes now too. I thought they'd at least be the ones standing up and saying "No, PC gamers get there stuff".

MedHead

I was excited to play the game, but if this is true, I'm going to avoid buying this game. I can't support this kind of behavior on the PC.

aeolist

Banned
I like that he tries to spin it as "you PC players get the same awesome matchmaking console players always got!"

Yeah cause that's something we've always wanted, not higher player count servers with better ping and custom content.

Mikey Jr.

Sebulon3k said:
I love the dead silence after he confirms there won't be any dedicated servers :lol

Yeah, it was really fucking akward.

I'm telling you.

I am 100% God Damn sure this is over map packs/DLC.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sebulon3k said:
I love the dead silence after he confirms there won't be any dedicated servers :lol

what i'd have given to be on that podcast. does that floundering apologist post on gaf?

man, i don't even play PC games, but when i saw the topic, i had to come in and read to see if it was real...

no dedicated servers? on a PC FPS? what in the flying fuck are they smoking???

Mikey Jr.

ghst said:
what i'd have given to be on that podcast.

I wish someone called him out. I know it's bad form, but fuck. Although you gotta feel bad for Bowling to try and put a good spin on the shit PC support to guys who are pro-PC.

"I like that he tries to spin it as "you PC players get the same awesome matchmaking console players always got!""

"Oh and you won't have to worry about all the effort it takes to run a server!"

Super slimy.

Zzoram

Mikey Jr. said:
Yeah, it was really fucking akward.

I'm telling you.

I am 100% God Damn sure this is over map packs/DLC.

The worst part is that they'll probably sell 500 map packs and in the process gimp the game for 1,000,000 people.

Raising the price to $60 was insult enough. They could've even made the argument that the extra $10 would cover free map packs or something, like the ones WaW was getting free even though it was a $50 game. But no, they want to charge more for the game, start charging for maps, remove map making tools and remove dedicated servers and expect people to buy it?

BobsRevenge

Slavik81 said:
Spawn copies over LAN were good for getting people with the game to play with people who didn't own it, potentially convincing them to buy the game. Perhaps because Blizzard is no longer nearly as small as they were, they can now do more direct marketing, and retain more control over how people use their product.

Blizzard's not a small group of dedicated people anymore. These days they've got a lot of hungry mouthes to feed.
They already feed those mouths with Ferraris.

He says on that Bash cast that they chose to go with the IWnet matchmaking for the PC version because of 'custom content to keep the game for us alive alot longer'. That basically means that they chose matchmaking just for having the PC players buy DLC.

Kuga

Well, that's $60 that can go to another game. Not bothering if I have to wade through a sea of bandwidth-starved hosts and lag.

Top Bottom