• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
new thread title said:
Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers, in order to better sell DLC
:lol :lol

I like how this thread begun as a positive one and was turned around in the first few posts, and it just keeps getting more negative.

Inkwell

Banned
This is ridiculous. I've never played CoD4 online but it sounded like a lot of fun. Let me get this straight: higher cost, no dedicated servers, probably no custom content, and most likely the only new content through DLC? Pure genius right there. I can't wait until it doesn't sell well and they blame it on piracy.

Swag

I wish he just flat out said that they implemented IW.net in order to have a feasible means to get people to pay for DLC

Mrbob

Thread title change. :lol

But yeah, Activision can get bent for charging more than the standard PC game and then getting rid of pc specific features in the process.

Kosma

Banned
60 and no dedicated servers. This game will get pirated to hell. They took away most of the incentive for PC gamers to buy their game legally.

This is like a self fulfilling prohecy. They seem bent on making this fail on PC.

LowParry

How can 402 think matchmaking makes it easier on the community? Fuck change! This shit is whacked! Commune this, commune that, commune commune commune. Argh!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
CcrooK said:
How can 402 think matchmaking makes it easier on the community? Fuck change! This shit is whacked! Commune this, commune that, commune commune commune. Argh!

console gaming=communism.

Mikey Jr.

Jesus Christ. Everyone in that interview is trying to be nice, trying to tell Bowling in the nicest way possible that they are disapointed and Bowling is basically saying "it's being done for the community" shit over and over.

I wish someone grew a pair and just told him outright.

Tzeentch

IW's PR guys should skip the middle man and go straight to politics.

Activision/IW: "We must destroy the legitimate PC Modern Warfare community in order to save it."

ghst said:
console fps and its bottom feeding gaggle of fanchildren continues to successfully regress the genre to pre-quake standards.

expect more of this in every mw2 thread going. buy this game and you're a fucking dolt.

We're in the fucking dark ages

aeolist

Banned
Well let's be honest here, it is being done for the community. Not the community that exists, but the one they want to make.

PC games sell less and less every year while ex-PC exclusive franchises do better on consoles. They're obviously trying to make the PC experience more console like to try and draw more people in. The better likelihood of selling DLC and cutting out cracked servers that enable piracy also factored into this I'm sure.

It does make a lot of sense for Activision though.

I'm just glad I never played CoD online.

LowParry

_tetsuo_ said:
It's CoD man. I think it would probably sell a lot better than you think it would.

It'll sell well on the console front. They don't give a shit about dedicated servers.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

That's it. I'm done with the Call of Duty franchise.

aeolist said:
Well let's be honest here, it is being done for the community. Not the community that exists, but the one they want to make.

PC games sell less and less every year while ex-PC exclusive franchises do better on consoles. They're obviously trying to make the PC experience more console like to try and draw more people in. The better likelihood of selling DLC and cutting out cracked servers that enable piracy also factored into this I'm sure.

Bullshit, going from free DLC to charging for DLC doesn't attract customers. People who play PC games are different from console users. If they wanted the console experience they'd play on a console. This only hurts them, not makes it better.

MMaRsu

Banned
This is seriously a massive fuck up. I don't know if this is Activisions doing by trying to cut costs, or IW is just dumb in this regard. A pc shooter without dedicated servers is a joke.

Darklord

Banned
br0ken_shad0w said:
Oh boy, there's going to be some pissed off clans.

Just wait until the game releases and all the more casual gamers buy it expecting it to be in there. There will be 5000 "WHERE THE F*** IS DA SERVER LIST?" "Can't host dedicated help!" "My games broken, no server lists anywhere!!!!".

"PC games sell less and less every year while ex-PC exclusive franchises do better on consoles."

Incorrect. PC games aren't selling less and less every year. PC games are selling less and less each year at brick and mortar stores, though.

this is fucking bollocks, first the 60$ bit, now this and the eventual paid DLC. Fuck activision, fuck kotick. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for them. I will grab the 360 version still, because I have a problem. It will be a used version at least, if that matters any.

Kabouter

aeolist said:

Personally, I'm still waiting for my Hearts of Iron 3 console version, so that franchise can finally get the sales it really deserves.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The_Reckoning said:
this is fucking bollocks, first the 60$ bit, now this and the eventual paid DLC. Fuck activision, fuck kotick. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for them. I will grab the 360 version still, because I have a problem. It will be a used version at least, if that matters any.

it means you're only 90% scab.

ezekial45

Banned
MMaRsu said:
This is seriously a massive fuck up. I don't know if this is Activisions doing by trying to cut costs, or IW is just dumb in this regard. A pc shooter without dedicated servers is a joke.
With exception to L4D2.

Zzoram

The_Reckoning said:

Nice :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The_Reckoning said:

Modern Warfare 3: $15/month to use IW.NET, and includes a one time use code in the box to unlock your character's arms and legs, normally a $30 value from the IW.NET store!

Tzeentch

EviLore said:
Modern Warfare 3: $15/month to use IW.NET, and includes a one time use code in the box to unlock your character's arms and legs, normally a $30 value from the IW.NET store!
Don't give them any more ideas!!

Darklord

Banned
EviLore said:

You know it's coming. You just know it. This is the stab, that'll be the twist.

JoeFu

Banned
Had a bunch of credit with amazon and am getting the game for 18 bucks, but this news blows. Not sure if I'm gonna keep the order.

Kosma

Banned
EviLore said:

Wanna play on another map? Pay a dollar!

EviLore said:
Modern Warfare 3: $15/month to use IW.NET, and includes a one time use code in the box to unlock your character's arms and legs, a $30 value from the IW.NET store!

Sadly, at this pace. I don't see that as being too far fetched for activision and co. Makes sense actually, the new b.net will be a good test run for them. :(

Atilac

I was going to buy the 360 and pc versions. Fuck that. I'm buying neither. I am done with cod, iw, and activision. They can go eat a bag of cocks.

All of the bullshit surrounding this game makes me feel glad I'm not into COD that much. Makes not buying it pretty easy. My condolences to those that are though, seems like Activision are trying their hardest to suck every penny they can out of this franchise. Pretty disgusting when the COD games already sell obscene amounts as it is.

Top Bottom