• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Shins said:
This doesn't affect me so I don't care. :)

I'd argue that this affects all gamers. It's the principle I think. Big companies just doing what the fuck they want because they think they can. Shit like this lays the groundwork for the next bullshit move(slippery slope et al). Hopefully it gets cut down quick. Rabble Rabble..

Igo

PC gaming is going backwards. Such a god damn shame. I really wish reviewers would call devs out when they release games less complex and with major features missing compared to their predecessors. Take some points off the PC version and Activision will take notice.

Ceebs

The_Reckoning said:
I'd argue that this affects all gamers. It's the principle I think. Big companies just doing what the fuck they want because they think they can. Shit like this lays the groundwork for the next bullshit move(slippery slope et al). Hopefully it gets cut down quick. Rabble Rabble..
This entire generational cycle has been nothing but anti-consumer trends yet the market keeps growing. There is just no consumer watchdog group shouting about it like you would find in another industry.

Tzeentch

I wonder if they expected to kind of sneak this bomb in and hope people didn't notice, so they could later claim, after people bought the game and complained about the lack of dedicated servers, "well we mentioned it a month ago."

Now lets hope Bad Company 2 doesn't jump on this rent-seeking bandwagon.

Arucardo

I'm surprised how little discussion there's been in this thread about the piracy issue, that's probably one of the big reasons they went this way. CoD4 has ALOT of cracked servers and IW was quite disappointed by that when it came out. Doing this might get rid of cracked servers for good, but personally I'm really bummed out about this.

I hope there's enough of a backlash about it to get some form of dedicated servers at a later date, maybe a certification process for dedicated servers is an option and I've yet to have a good experience with P2P servers on PC.

mrgone

Total bullshit. I miss the days when EA was the evil empire - they may have forced people to rent servers for ranked games (Battlefield 2) but at least they didn't take them away altogether. What a fucking mess.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Igo said:
PC gaming is going backwards. Such a god damn shame. I really wish reviewers would call devs out when they release games less complex and with major features missing compared to their predecessors. Take some points off the PC version and Activision will take notice.
I think devs are going backwards, but not all. PC gaming is alive and well, thanks to Steam and some other devs who haven't been seduced by the money of Microsoft.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mrgone said:
Total bullshit. I miss the days when EA was the evil empire - they may have forced people to rent servers for ranked games (Battlefield 2) but at least they didn't take them away altogether. What a fucking mess.

I dont. I dont think Activision has kill off any brilliant studios yet.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
With a dedicated server you get:

-better connection speed since it's likely hosted at a datacenter/backbone site
-higher player counts
-server is up 24/7
-admins can install mods, add-ons
-you build a community of regular players
-cheaters are banned directly from the server
-clans can practice easier, run their own games

Adding to this, game would still be easily playable even after much of the community moves on since they'll be servers dedicated to it full of regulars.

Arucardo said:
I'm surprised how little discussion there's been in this thread about the piracy issue, that's probably one of the big reasons they went this way.

Because it's not. If you read between the lines, it's about DLC and $$$.

Ceebs

br0ken_shad0w said:
Because it's not. If you read between the lines, it's about DLC and $$$.
Not to mention that if piracy were that big of a deal that there would be no PC version at all.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This makes me incredibly sad. My dad will be too. He played CoD1 for the longest time on modded servers (modern weapons, perfect accuracy lol) and then he moved on to CoD4 where he has pretty much played on the same server for the better part of a year because he loves the settings they use and their map rotation. How do I even explain this mess to him? He is so excited for MW2 :(

CrazedArabMan said:
Wow, that was some awkward silence in that podcast after he announced no dedicated servers. :lol

Yeah, I honestly felt bad for them. They seemed like they thought they were asking Bowling a rhetorical question, they knew he was going to shoot down the no dedicated server rumor. Had some comical things to say after he confirmed there would be dedicateds. Then he dropped the bomb on them. Just dumbfounded, had to ramble through some plan B question they penciled in as a joke. :(

Xeke

Banned
It sounds like their debating a topic like the death penalty in that podcast not dedicated servers for a video game...

I feel for the guy giving the news, I don't know what the hell I'd say when confronted by people brought to tears about servers...

I mean I played COD4 on the PC all the time at work but we only ever really played on a LAN.

Xeke said:
It sounds like their debating a topic like the death penalty in that podcast not dedicated servers for a video game...

I feel for the guy giving the news, I don't know what the hell I'd say when confronted by people brought to tears about servers...

Seriously, those guys sounded like he just told them their parents died or something...

The_Reckoning said:
Yeah, I honestly felt bad for them. They seemed like they thought they were asking Bowling a rhetorical question, they knew he was going to shoot down the no dedicated server rumor. Had some comical things to say after he confirmed there would be dedicateds. Then he dropped the bomb on them. Just dumbfounded, had to ramble through some plan B question they penciled in as a joke. :(

Yeah, I feel really bad for PC gamers now, I know dedicated servers are what make PC multi-player games really fun.

Now there actually telling him how disappointed they are. This is not looking good for you PC guys with a big title like this pulling this kind of stunt.

Xeke

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Can someone explain to me how removing dedicated servers will boost DLC sales? I'm not a PC gamer soo

No server = No mods/maps = DLC the only way to get new content after the game is released.

Brannon

bishoptl said:
Any word on whether or not Bad Company 2 PC is going down the same hole?

What a horrible move.

I have the greatest idea of all time. Let's have all the non-pro sites take all the excitement from MW2 and move it over to Bad Company 2. Sure it's not the same as not buying it, but if the excitement and anticipation can be moved somehow, at least for the PC version, that might at least be something.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
This has been going on for a long time now. FEAR2, Riddick, GTA4, Lost Planet, Call of Juarez BiB, and Wolfenstein off the top of my head. No dedicated servers and the PC communities for all those games were essentially DOA. I guess it takes a game as popular as CoD to get people to start noticing this trend and making a stink about it.

If you're really serious about not picking this up, you could steer your $60 towards L4D2 or Borderlands if you're interested in what those games have to offer. If you've got three other friends willing to kick in, both games have 4-pack preorder bundles which work out to just $33.75 per person. You could get both games for just a little more than the cost of this one game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Was thinking about picking it up since the multiplayer looked interesting. Now it's a guaranteed pass. As an Aussie i sort of live by dedicated severs, it's about all we have :lol

It doesn't matter how good a game is, if there is a high probability that it will lag, then its a complete fail. Technically it makes it unplayable so what's the fucking point. I feel bad for PC users. I have a few friends who are mad excited about MW2 on the PC but I can't imagine how they'll feel after this

Right people, I'm expecting a hammering for even asking this but:

Why are PC gamers allowed to automatically expect dedicated servers whereas PS3 and Xbox 360 gamers are not?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
LabouredSubterfuge said:

Why are PC gamers allowed to automatically expect dedicated servers whereas PS3 and Xbox 360 gamers are not?
Because it has existed there long before any call of duty game for FREE. It's like going ass-hat backwards. Fuck that.

gibonez

Banned
This is truly sad. No mods, no Dedicated servers and you have people deflecting the blame from Infinity ward to Activision.

Infinity ward is just a guilty as Activision, they could have decided to side with the hardcore gamer and no cater to the casuals, and more importantly not exploit the consumers but nope they are too obsessed with money. I hope Mw2 fails, and that a new franchise destroys the cod name with superior gameplay and doesn't run on the antique quake 3 arena engine.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
cjelly said:
Wow, that is seriously one of the most awkward interviews I've ever heard. :lol :lol
Seriously. The devastation post-revelation was palpable.

GG IW
LabouredSubterfuge said:

It's the way things are and have been.

Ceebs

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Because 99% of them use dedicated servers. It would be like getting a 360 game with no X-box Live functionality at all.

Plissken

I love how the IW rep keeps trying to spin this as good news. "Good news PC players, you don't have to pay for dedicated servers! You also don't need to bother with community any more, since we're ripping that out of the game! And now, you don't have to take time out of your day to create new maps or game modes, because we don't allow it! See how much we care?"

Because 90% of all online PC FPS titles have had dedicated servers since Quake? Because the last 2 Call of Duty titles on PC had dedicated server support?

LabouredSubterfuge said:

It's like having a location where gas has always cost $1.00 a gallon, decades. Even when other locations were paying $3.50, this location always paid $1.00. Then all of a sudden, FOR NO REASON, this location is now paying $4.00. PC gamers have always been able to enjoy a superior version of the game and with good reason. The modding, the clans, and for the simple fact that they wouldn't just accept the idea of paying for DLC when it has always been free or left up to the community to create. Activision and more specifically IW has no reason to do what they are doing, none, zilch, zip. I would venture to say that since the multi will be total crap now, that more will just go and pirate the PC version than they would have prior. Is it ok? No. However, IW has screwed themselves for the long run with this decision.

LabouredSubterfuge said:

thats like saying, why should pc users expect to use a mouse and keyboard because consoles cant, or why should consoles have to pay for online gaming because pc users dont.

"Right people, I'm expecting a hammering for even asking this but:

Why are PC gamers allowed to automatically expect dedicated servers whereas PS3 and Xbox 360 gamers are not?"

Because dedicated servers have been standard in multiplayer PC FPSs since Quake 1.

Mikey Jr.

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Because the players pay for them. IW doesn't have to do anything just include support.

You're thinking that IW provided the servers, didn't you? No, the players provided the servers. IW has gone out of their way to intentionally fuck those players.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
LabouredSubterfuge said:

When I first got a launch 360, I did expect dedicated servers. I was prepared to buy a second 360 to use as a PDZ server for my friends.
I actually didn't even consider the idea that there wouldn't be an option.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
LabouredSubterfuge said:

As I understand, FPS Pc games have dedicated server modes where you can chose to run the game as a server. Anybody can do this at their home or at a datacenter.

From this news, I understand that it wont be possible to run it dedicated as a server.
If this is correct, I hope to fucking god the game gets cracked the day it comes out just to teach them a lesson.

Plissken said:
I love how the IW rep keeps trying to spin this as good news. "Good news PC players, you don't have to pay for dedicated servers! You also don't need to bother with community any more, since we're ripping that out of the game! And now, you don't have to take time out of your day to create new maps or game modes, because we don't allow it! See how much we care?"

Exactly. Might as well tell those who buy cars and expect to have working engines/transmissions/breaks, "Hey guys, GUESS WHAT, you don't have to worry about those pesky things that keep the car running! Isn't it awesome?!

Seriously, Activision and now IW can go screw themselves. Lets see here, Borderlands and Left 4 Dead 2 for $68 or COD MW2 for $60 and no dedicated servers, hmmm....

Been listening to this for a while but this is weird, these guys are really not happy at all, then you have one guy who is staying positive about it until he uses it.

Now IW is confident this is a good thing for the PC community, yeah, sure they do.

Draft

LabouredSubterfuge said:

What you may not understand is that these dedicated servers are run by players, not developers or publishers. The money to run the server comes from us.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Also, this is why I want good games to only sell about 1 or 2 million tops.
Keeps the companies honest.

But with 14 million, its like breathing cocaine. They cant stop it and need more.

Top Bottom