• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubris and Bullshit: Modern Warfare 2 PC will not allow dedicated servers.

Polk

aeolist said:
PC games sell less and less every year while ex-PC exclusive franchises do better on consoles.
No. Console games sell more and more every year. PC games sell similar amount they have 5 years ago, and probably 10.

Lostconfused said:
No those games are made for wide screen. They are just going to cap the max resolution at 1280x720 or whatever the games native res is.

No, to help the community they'll cap it at 640p or whatever the console one was at.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mikey Jr. said:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799

Skip to 1:41.

Robert Bowling.

Flat out.

NO DEDICATED SERVERS. Matchmaking only.

They ask him about custom content. He completely skips around the issue. He knows that there won't be custom content but doesnt want to embarass himself.

Wow, MW2 has changed for the worse.
Wow, that is seriously one of the most awkward interviews I've ever heard. :lol :lol

Chris R

Was going to consider buying the game at one point, but now I'll just watch someone play through the single player portion on Youtube to get the story and call that good. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
But it's the CEO of activision who seems to be pushing it, can they really do much about it?
Seeing as how after Blizzard they have the biggest franchise I would say yes, they can pretty much tell him to fuck off when it comes to something like this.

zoku88

MickeyKnox said:
Seeing as how after Blizzard they have the biggest franchise I would say yes, they can pretty much tell him to fuck off when it comes to something like this.
:lol :lol :lol

Having the biggest franchise means nothing.

MercuryLS

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Also, apparently it's P2P.

Hahaha, ohh man. This is just a massive fucking joke now.

Basically what the PC guys are buying is the console version.

Hahaha, you fucking annoying PC elitist brought down a few pegs makes this worth it.

zoku88

MickeyKnox said:
Go back to the interviews with them after the whole pay to play service bullshit the CEO was throwing around.
Ask yourself this: how do any of these moves benefit the developers themselves?

Firestorm

lolivision. Glad I don't care enough about this game. There's a reason I don't play competitive multiplayer games on consoles and this is it. I don't want to have to play with random faceless users. I want to hop on a server see the regulars.

Scipius

And now they are finally trying to turn the PC into an Xbox 360.

We will all rue the day Microsoft decided to go into gaming to protect their revenue streams.

Tzeentch

Folks, their own "community" manager rarely even posts on their OWN forum, so that should show how seriously they really take the opinions of their fans.

The way the devs probably look at it, sacrificing PC gamers so they can rake in a bit more of a year-end bonus is well worth any damage it may cause the franchise in the future. What do they really care, they can always spin damage control by blaming faceless Activision suits.

Darklord

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
What's so special about dedicated servers? I don't understand the definition.

Able to run 24/7 without a host being in the game. Can run smoother, with less ping, more players and is overall a better experiance pretty much. Matchmaking is also hell for most of the world as it dumps players from like NZ or UK into a US which is obviously unplayable with the 500 or so ping.

Firestorm

ChoklitReign said:
Think of it like an IRC room or something. The server is always up. Usually attracts a core group of people + randoms. Once you find a good server with a good community, it's hard to go somewhere else. In Counter-Strike, I only ever played on NdN servers. In TF2, I usually stuck with the GAF servers we had, TheVille, circle-x, or now I'm sticking with The Machine Teamplay server.

Zzoram

Darklord said:
Able to run 24/7 without a host being in the game. Can run smoother, with less ping, more players and is overall a better experiance pretty much. Matchmaking is also hell for most of the world as it dumps players from like NZ or UK into a US which is obviously unplayable with the 500 or so ping.

That's currently the worst thing about matchmaking.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why are people pissed at IW? Do they even have any say in this?
Fuck Infinty Ward. They're just as responsible and their divergence from PC gaming isn't any secret. Even Rob Bowling on the podcast where this is revealed talks about playing L4D on the 360.

These are console guys now, and they're fucking up the PC online experience.

ChoklitReign said:

Dedicated servers are basically machines that has only one purpose and that is to host games. This will allow for a better playing experience, since pings are generally low unless you live far away from the server. It also allows for a community to be built, since the servers are always up and you aren't thrown into a game with random people like matching making does.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I played the original Callof Duty on PC. Loved it. Then I enjoyed CoD2 on X360. Wasn't a fan of COD3 or WaW. COD4 was great, but I grew tired of the MP. Now, with MW2 and Activision almost gladly pissing on the people that support them with the burgeoning load of preorders that have filled the registers at Gamestops and Amazon and Best Buys, I have to say that as meaningless as it is to them, I have serious reservations with supporting them and may just pass on MW2.

Mikey Jr.

Darklord said:

Yup, but you also forgot the community aspect. Hop on the game, search for your favourite server with all your friends, join, and play the game with all your buddies plus random guys that come in.
The server can be made any way YOU want it. Want custom maps on your server? Go ahead!

Now? I can't even SEARCH for a specific map. On COD4, I liked servers that were Overgrown only. Now? Fuck you, create a private match with only 2 people.

I like full 32 player games. Now I don't even have that OPTION. I can make a private game, but random people can't even join because they can't see the "server".

ChoklitReign said:

With a dedicated server you get:

-better connection speed since it's likely hosted at a datacenter/backbone site
-higher player counts
-server is up 24/7
-admins can install mods, add-ons
-you build a community of regular players
-cheaters are banned directly from the server
-clans can practice easier, run their own games

What a stupid, stupid anti-consumer move. Ugh, Activision. Those interviewers were heart broken. No amount of spinning was going make up for the removal of dedicated servers.

Scipius said:
And now they are finally trying to turn the PC into an Xbox 360.

We will all rue the day Microsoft decided to go into gaming to protect their revenue streams.

Meh. I'm not too worried about the future of PC gaming. The past 10 years or so have been all gloom and doom with the predictions, yet the platform is as strong today as ever. The platform is so accessible to devs, and has potential for such large numbers that it's not going anywhere.

Microsoft already tried GFWL, which is pretty much obsolete thanks to Steam. If Steam falters I'm pretty sure one of the other half dozen or so DD services will pick up the slack. The PC's great advantage is that it's so open. If you don't like what's out there, you can do something about it. If MW2 bombs on the PC someone is going to come out with a mod, or an alternate game within a few years.

Gaogaogao

ghst said:
skip to 1hr 40 mins if you want to hear the concrete "no" from inf ward's paid shill.

the longer it goes on, the more abhorrent it gets. like licking piss off of nettles.
thanks this belongs in OP

Brannon

Activision just shot their fans in the foot.

No. It's not even funny enough to warrant using here. This is horrible. Goddamn.

On a hopefully miraculous note, maybe some really smart person would take the dedicated server codes from Call of Duty 4 and World at War and somehow combobulate them to work with Modern Warfare 2 somehow maybe.

This is really, REALLY hoping, though.

Not gonna happen, is it?

Mikey Jr.

Felix Lighter said:
What a stupid, stupid anti-consumer move. Ugh, Activision. Those interviewers were heart broken. No amount of spinning was going make up for the removal of dedicated servers.

Yeah, you can tell they were severely disappointed. The silence pretty much told the whole story.

ezekial45

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
With a dedicated server you get:

-better connection speed since it's likely hosted at a datacenter/backbone site
-higher player counts
-server is up 24/7
-admins can install mods, add-ons
-you build a community of regular players
-cheaters are banned directly from the server
-clans can practice easier, run their own games

Just to add:

- Severs that run a specific map or rotate a set of maps 24/7
- Server latency tab: So you can which server will run better for you

LowParry

Brannon said:
Activision just shot their fans in the foot.

No. It's not even funny enough to warrant using here. This is horrible. Goddamn.

On a hopefully miraculous note, maybe some really smart person would take the dedicated server codes from Call of Duty 4 and World at War and somehow combobulate them to work with Modern Warfare 2 somehow maybe.

This is really, REALLY hoping, though.

Not gonna happen, is it?

As good as that would be, the one who creates and starts that is going to be paying a lot for it. I wouldn't view that as being idle or even worth bother investing time and money into.

Ceebs

So you are paying 10 bucks more for less features. Sounds like a deal to me.

No thanks, I am sure there are plenty of December or January games from other publishers I can use my cash on instead.

Blizzard needs to separate its name from Activision. God damn I wouldn't know what to do with myself if its management turned sour...

Top Bottom