• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE Sony 09 blowout - LittleBigPlanet PSP, Uncharted 2, Price cuts & more

lynux3

abstract alien said:
Sounds nice, ill pick up Uncharted if they fix the disconnected animation/environment interaction. GoW3 will be an amazing piece of work most likely, i just hope they dont screw it up with some sort of 30fps/slowdown type of thing.

God of War and slowdown don't compute, and 30 fps? Seriously? Just scratch those because those won't happen, but hope for no screen tearing this time around.

drakesfortune said:
Uncharted2! YES!! Now, give me Uncharted PSP. :D

I'm not sure Motorstorm PSP is a very good idea. I don't think it'll sell well. They'd be better of pumping the resources into GranTurismo PSP.

Anything for the PSP is a plus right now, I would welcome a Sly Cooper PSP.

Google

Fizzle said:
I don't get what's so retarded. What difference does it make?

It decreases confidence in the product.

If you didnt own a PS3, but kind of wanted one; walked into a store today saw it for $400, but knew it was going to be $250-$300 in a couple of months, and you werent too bothered about having one this instance, you might wait.

Then, when you go back in a couple of months, to pick up your $300 console, you might think to yourself, "Well, I might wait a couple of months for another price drop, because it's still not selling too well, and they're bound to do it, right?"

It's then a constant spiral over lack of confidence in the product and the pricing.

I know it might be different but I'm a developer for a Health Insurance company and there's always meetings and emails about cutting company costs, increasing marketshare, insurance prices etc, I think keeping the employees informed about the companies decision, plans and future is pretty standard.

Yeah, I'm in sales for a software company, and we do simliar things. But we never, ever release pricing information. It's 100% confidential and kept internal for the sales teams.

I dont want my pay packet to be fucked over, because one of the devs decided to tell their friend over at 'x' company that we're lowering our pricing structure.

NameIess

I wonder about the purpose of this info, because the news regarding games was conventional wisdom & the price cut info is horrible for holiday hardware sales.
If consumers believe there's a significant price cut in the near term they may hold off on a purchase. I wonder is this info more harmful than good...

Fizzle

Kagari said:
Ugh. This 'Year of' meme has got to go.

Yeah but I can't help it.

Resistance Motorstorm LittleBigPlanet

I've only ever looked forward to God Of War and that sold well, these 3 will convince alot of people methinks.

Google said:
It decreases confidence in the product.

If you didnt own a PS3, but kind of wanted one; walked into a store today saw it for $400, but knew it was going to be $250-$300 in a couple of months, and you werent too bothered about having one this instance, you might wait.

Then, when you go back in a couple of months, to pick up your $300 console, you might think to yourself, "Well, I might wait a couple of months for another price drop, because it's still not selling too well, and they're bound to do it, right?"

It's then a constant spiral over lack of confidence in the product and the pricing.

IDK about that, MS dropped the price twice in one year and they're now beating or being neck and neck with the PS3 in Euro and Japan and selling twice as much in NA.

NameIess said:
I wonder about the purpose of this info, because the news regarding games was conventional wisdom & the price cut info is horrible for holiday hardware sales.
It was an internal conference (assuming any of this is true), not a price cut announcement.

Fizzle said:
Yeah but I can't help it.

Resistance Motorstorm LittleBigPlanet

I've only ever looked forward to God Of War and that sold well, these 3 will convince alot of people methinks.

I've always hoped for a GTA SAS as that was my favorite GTA, and whatever happened to that Oblivion PSP game?

Google

AranhaHunter said:
IDK about that, MS dropped the price twice in one year and they're now beating or being neck and neck with the PS3 in Euro and Japan and selling twice as much in NA.

But we've not heard anything about them dropping the price from $199 to $99 in the new year, right? They've dropped their pricing before Christmas, in an effort to sell more today.

Sony is looking at getting as much money out of people today, and then convincing those on the fence to go next year.

It's not a bad strategy, but you don't release that information publicly before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Darkener2

Kagari said:
How do you know? Last we heard, it was costing $400 to manufacture a PS3, and that was at the beginning of the year.
It sounds like he is going by how much the Yen is worth now compared the Dollar and the Euro...

Chrange

Banned
AranhaHunter said:

Anyone have the price drop history of the two consoles? I can't remember offhand how many they've had that were true price drops, not just currency equalization.

DogWelder

Fizzle said:
Wha you mean?!? :|

They lost money last quarter in the gaming division on the strength of the Yen. What else is losing them money if it's not the hardware manufacturing cost of the PS3? Somehow, I can't see the PSP or PS2 losing them money.

Kagari said:
How do you know? Last we heard, it was costing $400 to manufacture a PS3, and that was at the beginning of the year.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but a 30% stronger Yen is a lot of money lost if your profit margins are thin to begin with.

AranhaHunter said:
I think he means because they lost money last quarter.

Yeah, sorta.

Darkener2 said:
It sounds like he is going by how much the Yen is worth now compared the Dollar and the Euro...

Indeed.

Johnas

abacab driver said:
Team Ico 2009 please. :/

My dear word yes.

All this other stuff sounds cool, but for me it's second-tier material compared to Trico. I'm really starting to get tired of waiting for any kind of substantial reveal of that game.

Elios83

1cesc said:
They lost money last quarter in the gaming division on the strength of the Yen. What else is losing them money if it's not the hardware manufacturing cost of the PS3? Somehow, I can't see the PSP or PS2 losing them money.

Wait, it's not like their only expense is the supposed (not so much) PS3 hardware loss and all the rest is profit.
They have many employees to pay, they continously finance new projects, they have marketing costs, costs related to R&D for future products, even partecipating at events like E3, GC in Leipzig, TGS with their own showfloor has big costs, plus all the costs related to the buildings where they work. They have to offset all these costs with the profits coming from hardware and software sales to be profitable overall so it doesn't depend only on PS3. There are companies which make losses even if they're not selling any of their products at a loss.

About the rest, I've little doubt it's all legit, the event is real, people here are even confirming a few details and quite frankly there's nothing really suprising about the news. Everything has been strongly hinted in the past, even about the price cut Hirai said to Forbes that although they were not cutting the price this year that moment was approaching.
A few might question the timing but this was an internal meeting not a public announcement, the infos got leaked.

Forsete

Gold Member
cartoon_soldier said:
Also, I have been hearing "X will be the year of PS3" for 2007 and 2008 now. Its fine, I can wait another year.

You have a PSN account yet, console soldier?

Wollan

PSN profiting over £150 million (~$225 million) for 2008 alone is pretty significant for a startup service that's free of subscription cost.

abacab driver said:
Team Ico 2009 please. :/

I'm going to say GOW3 and Team ICO game are 2010 along with the next big insomniac game. (could be 09 but I just have a feeling it won't)

Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, GT5, Heavy Rain, Infamous 2009

Redd

Hopefully the game announcements are true. I really need to get around to beating Uncharted before the sequel hits. Wouldnt' surprised if there's going to be a LBP psp game. Would love to take my LBP on the go. Be pretty cool if you could transfer your sackboy between the PS3 and PSP.

Redd said:
Hopefully the game announcements are true. I really need to get around to beating Uncharted before the sequel hits. Wouldnt' surprised if there's going to be a LBP psp game. Would love to take my LBP on the go. Be pretty cool if you could transfer your sackboy between the PS3 and PSP.

I am more curious if it'll be a download game and just connect to LBP servers or a full fledged game, something about creating on the PSP seems overly difficult when the same can be done on PS3.

They could go 2d but if they loose the layer thing it would feel less like LBP.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wollan said:
PSN profiting over £150 million (~$225 million) for 2008 alone is pretty significant for a startup service that's free of subscription cost.

What's more interesting is that Europe is now SCEI's biggest territory.

slider

Wollan said:

I just came back to post that.

I don't suppose we have access to Live profits do we? I know there will be no comparison but I'm interested.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
At this point I actually want team ICO to keep their shit until 2010. The next few months are looking to put me in debt.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Fizzle said:
Dude it's like clapping with one hand.

It's just not possible.

Unless Sony Say So

I can clap with one hand.

quite easily too.

but then again i can stretch my thumb to touch the bottom and top of my wrist on the same arm.

Ether_Snake said:
God of War 3 is probably March 2010.
I figure it'll be their main holiday title with Uncharted 2 and Ratchet & Clank Future 2 as accompanying titles, much like LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, and MotorStorm 2 this year.

And to be honest, I can't see the game taking a whole three years to develop when the others only took two. Sure you have added development time/costs going into the next gen, but a whole year's worth? I mean, that hasn't really affected Naughty Dog or Insomniac. They just hired more team members, something I'm sure Sony Santa Monica has done as well.

Paracelsus

Isn't the rumor of the pricecut in Spring kind of old? I mean, someone already said they were going to strike with a pricecut during the "all-digital revolution" in the States, revolution that begins the 17th February, If I recall correctly (17 February coincidentally is also the release date for KZ2 ._.;)

H_Prestige said:
If they can get a $250-300 ps3 in time for GT5 they're going to dominate retail.

a $249 PlayStation 3? with a 20GB HDD and no HDMI? a price-tag at $299 should be enough till the end of 2010.

Linkified

I thought God of War 3, european video store, white knight chronicles, inFamous were supposed to come out in 2009 fiscal year.

KongRudi

Banned
Sony won't cut prices when Killzone 2 launch, a single software-release is not in the concidertion. They will cut prices when they get the key-parts in the hardware down in size and costs.
Some journalists have pinned this down to March, others have guessed other dates, and the only thing we can be sure off; is that various journalists will keep guessing until they get it right.

And I doubt that SCEE would get told 4 months in advance..

As for Uncharted 2 and GoW3 beeing shown, these are SCEA-titles, and I doubt they were shown on a SCEE internal meeting before beeing shown to SCEA, and I don't think they'd release a game-build for a internal SCEE-meeting.
SCEE-titles like Motorstorm & LBP PSP perhaps, but I doubt that SCEA would go out of their way to release a game-build for a SCEE-meeting. Most likely they were only shown videos of said titles, with no mention of how far into the development the footage were from, or if it were target-video.

Top Bottom