• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter gets crushed to death after elephant he shot falls on him

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know what else rich people can do to help conserve the species? Give the money and NOT shoot them, how's that for finding another solution.

One day we'll be thanking aliens for preserving us so they can shoot us for fun now and then.

Believe it or not legalized trophy hunting can be beneficial not only to the local economy but to the animals.

http://www.conservationmagazine.org/2014/01/can-trophy-hunting-reconciled-conservation/

Poaching is obviously a whole other issue, but trophy hunting isn't necessarily as evil as some would have you think. Still not something I would want to do though.

Thanks for posting this stuff. I was truly not aware that legal trophy hunting had such a massive positive impact on these endangered animals.

Learn something new everyday.

It's kinda funny reading comments specifically calling out the killing of exotic animals. Probably don't even realize where all that meat comes from at all the fast food they consume in the US. I guess cows and poultry being slaughtered by the thousands every day in overcrowded farms is okay, or at least okay enough to still go out and consume it anyways.

Sheroking

Trophy hunters don't fly around the world to wake up at 4am, haul out thousands of dollars worth of gear, subscribe to big hunter-little penis magazine and mount trophies on their walls because it "preserves the eco-system".

You can make all the arguments and false-equivalencies you want, but these fuckers do it for one reason: It's fun for them to shoot and kill living things. Even in the cases where I think it is a necessary evil, I don't respect them as people and when they die at the hands of something they're hunting, I'm going to laugh at them.

You know what else rich people can do to help conserve the species? Give the money and NOT shoot them, how's that for finding another solution.

One day we'll be thanking aliens for preserving us so they can shoot us for fun now and then.

I wish life was as utopian as Star Trek too, unfortunately we live in the real world.

NastyBook

ironic.gif
Her reaction to that person being in her backseat is ALOT different from mine. Felt like I was watching a horror gif.

Also, LOL @ caping for scumbag hunters.

Drencrom

Do you have anymore naive and utopian ideas on how to fix world problems while you're at it?

I think I got one, rich people should just give away money until there is no longer any starving and homeless children on earth!

Unbounded

It's pretty clear at this point that people don't exactly give too much of a shit about animals surviving and instead care more about their ill-gotten justice boners.

StayDead

Do you have anymore naive and utopian ideas on how to fix world problems while you're at it?

I think I got one, rich people should just give away money until there is no longer any starving and homeless children on earth!

The sad thing is, this is a legitimate way to stop world hunger, the people who have billiions in the bank and never do anythiing with it could stop world hunger entirely by themselves, they just don't give a shit. They just want to see numbers go up on their bank balance.

Drencrom

The sad thing is, this is a legitimate way to stop world hunger, the people who have billiions in the bank and never do anythiing with it could stop world hunger entirely by themselves, they just don't give a shit. They just want to see numbers go up on their bank balance.

Yes it definitely could solve world hunger and give everyone on earth clean water, but it's not happening because of greed and many other reasons.

We can't expect people to fund and care about animals when we don't even take care of ourselves as a species.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Will acknowledge:

-That I'm currently an omnivore with the baggage attached to that

-That I've participated in some things related to animals some people have decided I'm abhorrent for (being a runner in a Running of the Bulls, notably; please keep in mind that I do not support bullfighting whatsoever and did not and will not go to a bullfight, I crashed at a gaffer's in Pamplona and so did not contribute in any meaningful way to the economy supporting the continued existence of the San Fermin festival, and effectively just gave bulls free shots at goring/killing me with no recourse, the end, with no expectation or desire for sympathy had I been injured....but judge that level of participation in the cultural relic as you will nonetheless)

-That this guy apparently greatly offsets the numerical loss of the elephant he shoots with money contributed to broader conservation efforts.

-That, ultimately, humans as a species will go ahead any kill anything, including other humans, all the time, every day, with or without justification, and assigning comparative value to non-human life when we still can't get the whole "not kill each other over terrible reasons" thing right ends up being somewhat of a non-starter, regardless of our observations about intelligent non-human species we share the planet with, so with non-human life valued so little as it is, there is a legitimate enough argument to be made about trophy hunting vs supporting conservation efforts for the greater good of the species in question. Things are pretty dire out there and we're talking about the very real possibility of extinction down the road due to how almost none of us give a damn in any meaningful way, so, yeah, it's easy to indict this squished guy while doing nothing to help species that are being poached to extinction as we speak. Do put your money where your mouth is, if you're in position to do so and feeling righteous enough to publicly condemn this sort of act.

Still...even so....elephants are very intelligent creatures, and their trajectory right now due to human involvement is tragic to say the least. I've had the privilege of spending considerable time among them in the wild at this point for some first-hand insight as well. I just have to categorically reject the idea of humans justifiably murdering them for sport no matter the donation involved for "the greater good." Can't get myself there. Not going to claim moral superiority -- honestly, if we don't end up wiping out most if not all intelligent life on the planet in short order at this rate it'll be a miracle anyway, so killing one elephant while facilitating saving several others from inevitable poaching is a hell of a lot better than the norm for a human being when it comes to this stuff -- but can't get behind the notion of sport killing a species like the elephant.

So, yeah. Sucks that you got squished by your trophy animal, I guess, but it is, well, pretty morbidly funny to go out like that, I gotta admit. RIP elephant and the unlucky man-paste underneath. I'll stick with contributing to wildlife conservation funds and shooting elephants with my cameras instead of my guns, for whatever that's worth, but it probably ain't worth much in the grand scheme. We don't give nearly enough fucks as a species. Not by a long shot.

Thanks for posting this stuff. I was truly not aware that legal trophy hunting had such a massive positive impact on these endangered animals.

Learn something new everyday.

It's kinda funny reading comments specifically calling out the killing of exotic animals. Probably don't even realize where all that meat comes from at all the fast food they consume in the US. I guess cows and poultry being slaughtered by the thousands every day in overcrowded farms is okay, or at least okay enough to still go out and consume it anyways.
Maybe one can care about both?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
We're going around in circles here, if humans never started poaching and hunting elephants this selfish conservation wouldn't be necessary.
I thought we came full circle? I was just trying to refute your claim that "hunting is not pragmatic". It actually is. Tragically so.

I'll stick with contributing to wildlife conservation funds and shooting elephants with my cameras instead of my guns, for whatever that's worth, but it probably ain't worth much in the grand scheme.

Safari tourism is the other big money maker, but unfortunately that by itself cannot completely replace hunting as a revenue generator. Some ecosystems are more compatible with one than the other.

Iksenpets

Banned
*Gaffer's parent/sibling/aunt/uncle killed by a moose while out deer hunting*

Gaffer: "Scum. They knew the risks."

I think elephant hunting is a pretty unique evil. They're both endangered and intelligent, and there's no food angle to it. Deer are overpopulated, with humans as their only remaining natural predator in big chunks of the world, and are actually eaten by humans. And I mean, even from a "sporting" angle, is an elephant even a particularly challenging hunt? Correct me if I'm wrong, Hunting-GAF, but it seems like just a matter of tracking one down, and then shooting a large target in relatively open space with a sufficiently high caliber rifle. There seems to be literally no reward to it other than just having killed a big rare thing.

Skyzard

Banned
Poor elephant. Peace out hunter.

Mr Botha ... frequently led leopard and lion hunting safaris with his pack of dogs.

I don't believe the "it's better for them if we kill them" excuse hunters give one bit. Get rekt.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
you can have Safari tourism without the hunting; shoot pictures instead

That's what safari tourism is - taking a tour of the safari, camping, and taking pics. Not all countries or ecosystems are equipped for that kind of utilization, though. Revenue per person is lower, so you need more customers, which means you need better infrastructure, which means you have a larger environmental footprint. Safari tourism on its own is not a one solution fits all deal. Not yet.

HariKari

I think elephant hunting is a pretty unique evil. They're both endangered and intelligent, and there's no food angle to it. Deer are overpopulated, with humans as their only remaining natural predator in big chunks of the world, and are actually eaten by humans. And I mean, even from a "sporting" angle, is an elephant even a particularly challenging hunt? Correct me if I'm wrong, Hunting-GAF, but it seems like just a matter of tracking one down, and then shooting a large target in relatively open space with a sufficiently high caliber rifle. There seems to be literally no reward to it other than just having killed a big rare thing.

Herd management is a thing. A lot of times the rights to shoot one of these animals are being sold because that particular individual animal needs to be culled. In a lot of cases, these animals would just be poached to death if they didn't have economic value to the land owners. The cliche rich doucey hunter guy is probably doing more to keep them alive than you'd think.

I don't feel a lot of sympathy for the guy, considering his profession, but I mean, in this case, they accidentally came upon a herd and were attacked.

So it's not like he snuck up and shot it and it fell on him or something.

They shouldn't have fucking been out there.

If I had the money to fund death squads to hunt the hunters, I would.

I ain't gonna lie, reading what is in the op seemed like it was some epic battle, fending off three elephants and then a surprise flank from a fourth!?!?! Which lifts a human being with its trunk!?!?

Seems like something out of an action movie, RIP to both the hunter and the elephant.

Nafai1123

Banned
It should be illegal to hunt elephants, period. They are empathetic animals that feel emotions just like we do. Hunting them is just as cruel as hunting a family of human beings.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It should be illegal to hunt elephants, period. They are empathetic animals that feel emotions just like we do. Hunting them is just as cruel as hunting a family of human beings.

Do you agree with the idea that sometimes, making an activity illegal doesn't always prevent that activity from occurring?

Nafai1123

Banned
Do you agree with the idea that sometimes, making an activity illegal doesn't always prevent that activity from occurring?

Of course, people still get murdered all the time. Doesn't mean we should make murder legal so those who can't help themselves can murder people legally.

ramparter

Banned
Mr Botha was a highly regarded houndsman and frequently led leopard and lion hunting safaris with his pack of dogs.
Yeah whatever, maybe the people by whom he was highly regarded should have the same fate.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm not sure how that's relevant. Humans are sold into slavery all the time for high prices. Should we make it legal because people do it anyways?

"Because people do it anyways" is not the argument. Is there evidence to suggest that legalizing slavery decreases its occurrence?

Top Bottom