• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Season 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOO13ER said:
Updated models for Lee Jr. seem to be closing in on Louisiana now. Texas is an outlier. :(

I need to stop paying close attention to the weather again. The shitty state of things was much easier to forget about that way.

Poor Texas. And now that moisture that was supposed to give us rain will get stolen by Lee and sent to Louisiana/Mississippi

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
perfectchaos007 said:
Poor Texas. And now that moisture that was supposed to give us rain will get stolen by Lee and sent to Louisiana/Mississippi
Yep, forecasters warned that if Lee jogged too far east then Texas would get nothing but the storm's hot, dry exhaust, just like we did with Irene.

Sigh.

MIMIC

Banned
Al Roker told people who accused the media of blowing Irene out of proportion to "shut up."

Not only did he blow this out of proportion, but his network has a fucking documented HISTORY of sensationalizing the weather with this classic example

It's nothing new. If Katia manages to make landfall in the U.S., get ready for the 2nd apocalypse, per media nonsense.

MIMIC said:
Al Roker told people who accused the media of blowing Irene out of proportion to "shut up."

Not only did he blow this out of proportion, but his network has a fucking documented HISTORY of sensationalizing the weather with this classic example

It's nothing new. If Katia manages to make landfall in the U.S., get ready for the 2nd apocalypse, per media nonsense.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIMIC said:

Um.

Look at the extreme destruction in Vermont and tell me it was "media nonsense"

5AM update out, Katia went almost due west(.2N, 1.5W) the last 6 hours and didn't gain any strength. Odds of this hitting the US just went up.

The model adjustment at 8 will be interesting.

MIMIC said:

so she could have walked
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

update track pic for new page
at201112_ensmodel.gif

pestul

at201112_model.gif

A lot of uncertainty on the guidance of this in the newest update. I don't think anyone on the Eastern seaboard should be confident it's going to miss them just yet.

pestul

06nbarnhill said:
I am a bit of a news junkie so the bored part of me is very dissapointed that Katia may not hit land.........
GTFO..

There was a few of you guys earlier in the Irene portion too. Can't you just be satisfied that it becomes a majestic Category 5 and doesn't hurt anyone? Weather can still be beautiful and not hurt people. You wouldn't be able to be a news junkie if it was over your head and the power is out for weeks with the water rising.

LProtag

Estimate on when our power is going to be back after Irene finally went up today. Sunday night near midnight. An entire week without power.

If another hurricane hits CT anytime soon I'm going to be so pissed.

XD

lolmad?

I am just being honest. Its not like my being excited for the news event will make anything worse. I just make the best of bad situations. I have always been a science/disasters kid.....earthquakes, tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc all fascinate me....

You guys act like my excitement is actually killing people. Get over it :D.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
MIMIC said:

Why is it that I've been reading that Irene is one of the strongest Cat 1 hurricanes to hit America. And why do I keep seeing people in the NorthEast crying and talking about their communities being destroyed by Irene.

Maybe it wasn't over hyped being that it destroyed about $10 Billion worth of stuff.

pestul said:
at201112_model.gif

A lot of uncertainty on the guidance of this in the newest update. I don't think anyone on the Eastern seaboard should be confident it's going to miss them just yet.

What's scary is three of those models now have Katia going on a WNW track, almost all along the same path ...

It looks like there's a window in between highs for her to pass through, and hopefully, that's what happens because it'll hook her out to sea. Otherwise ... I don't know where she's going except somewhere on the East Coast/Gulf Coast.

pestul said:
at201112_model.gif

That track is a little unsettling in that all the early models had it going back out to see, but that clearly is changing. While Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina were left unscathed by Irene, we might not be so fortunate with Katia.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Invest 93 is confused.

oumz68.gif

Today they're less confident in a Louisiana strike on account of a high pressure ridge. That motherfucker has remained ridiculously strong all year, it better not weaken now.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Irene has fucked me post-mortem

Moved into a new place today, taking care of my dad. We had scheduled a Fios install a month ago.

When they never show, he calls and they say no new installs till the 12th due to hurricane damage. So dad flips the fuck out and tells them to fuck off and calls Comcast (who can't get here till the 6th)

He's out buying an OTA Antenna right now, because god forbid we live without tv (I barely watch any)

Was really looking forward to Fios =(

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
mckmas8808 said:
Why is it that I've been reading that Irene is one of the strongest Cat 1 hurricanes to hit America. And why do I keep seeing people in the NorthEast crying and talking about their communities being destroyed by Irene.

Maybe it wasn't over hyped being that it destroyed about $10 Billion worth of stuff.

It's typical though. People feel like if it didn't destroy their house then it was a dud. Same thing happened with Rita in Houston. It hit east Texas big time, but since people in Houston evacuated for nothing, they still feel like it was a a overhyped dud.

Lee has to come to Texas. It is so dry here, we have wildfires blazing everywhere, lakes drying up. This sucks.

Taken from the Houston Chronicle Today -

What we can see here is that there’s no model consensus. Why? It’s because there simply aren’t any strong steering currents in the Gulf right now. As a result this leaves it with several plausible scenarios for the evolution of 93L.

They include:

1. There will be a brief opportunity for the storm to move inland Sunday into the Louisiana coast in response to a disturbance in the middle and upper levels of the atmosphere that will induce 93L to move northward into Louisiana. Right now this is not the favored scenario, however.

2. More likely is that the ridge of high-pressure over the Mississippi River Valley will remain strong enough that it will block 93L from moving north, and push it slowly west beginning Sunday. This scenario is now predicted by models such as the GFS and European models.

If the second scenario plays out then there’s considerable potential for 93L to strengthen as it meanders southwest in the Gulf, off the Texas coast, early next week. Several models depict it becoming a hurricane.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
atomsk said:
Irene has fucked me post-mortem

Moved into a new place today, taking care of my dad. We had scheduled a Fios install a month ago.

When they never show, he calls and they say no new installs till the 12th due to hurricane damage. So dad flips the fuck out and tells them to fuck off and calls Comcast (who can't get here till the 6th)

He's out buying an OTA Antenna right now, because god forbid we live without tv (I barely watch any)

Was really looking forward to Fios =(
Verizon workers were on strike for quite a while too. I know people who are waiting weeks for installs and not affected by the hurricane.

GodofWine

Gamecocks625 said:
That track is a little unsettling in that all the early models had it going back out to see, but that clearly is changing. While Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina were left unscathed by Irene, we might not be so fortunate with Katia.

Only wunderground is showing that red GFS model, CNN/Weather.com (using same chart) both only have the southern tracks...either they are agreeing now that its headed closer to the US, or they are already starting the hype machine and ignoring the GFS??

Either way, it better turn north, cause she'll be a big one..

MacAttack

mckmas8808 said:

Don't tell people in Vermont Irene wasn't a big deal. I live about 20 miles outside of Brattleboro, VT and there was only minor damages in our town. Brattleboro and some of the surrounding areas got nailed with the flooding.

http://www.businessinsider.com/vermont-catskills-new-york-irene-floods-2011-8

6a00d83452358f69e2015434eee641970c.jpg
catskills-flood.jpg

APTOPIX%20Vermont%20Flood_Acco.jpg

Well, that 2 p.m. update for Katia is ... to say the least, not as good news. Still weird to me the GFS ensemble is shifting it more west but the actual white line for the prediction isn't following it. Are certain ensemble members' predictions given more weight than others? That would explain it.

NihonTiger90 said:
Well, that 2 p.m. update for Katia is ... to say the least, not as good news. Still weird to me the GFS ensemble is shifting it more west but the actual white line for the prediction isn't following it. Are certain ensemble members' predictions given more weight than others? That would explain it.
The GFS has moved a significant amount. The pink lines on the ensemble picture are just the gfs model with slight adjustments to different variables like temperature and wind speeds.

Smiles and Cries said:
good die already... I don't want to see crazy mother Brian again
Isn't that a bad thing, I thought that Katia getting stronger was what was supposed to help push it back out to sea?

I love how you have a Carolina Hurricanes logo lol

Is it safe to say that my flight landing at 2:00pm in St Maarten is going to happen on Sunday?

3 day forecast looks fine

cajunator

Banned
littleworm said:
Isn't that a bad thing, I though that Katia getting stronger was what was supposed to help push it back out to sea?
Generally, a storm that is weaker is more influenced by the easterlies, which pushes it more towards the US. As it gets stronger, upper atmospheric patterns steer it, which are more likely to push it north/northeast out to sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom