• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Season 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relix said:
wg8dlm3.GIF

Do my eyes deceive me, or is there now a high pressure system parked in the middle of the western Atlantic? That doesn't seem very good if that's where Katia was supposed to be making her turn at because now she'll have to navigate that as well.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
NihonTiger90 said:
Do my eyes deceive me, or is there now a high pressure system parked in the middle of the western Atlantic? That doesn't seem very good if that's where Katia was supposed to be making her turn at because now she'll have to navigate that as well.
That high pressure system has been there for days and given us very lovely weather ever since Irene blew through.

It's supposed to slowly drift further out to sea over the course of the weekend and into Monday.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
DOO13ER said:
Goddamnit, that's like drought-ending rain for us. Fuck you, Louisiana we called it first. :mad:

Yeah, it's terrible. 1/3 of trees seem to be dieing right now. The other 2/3 look unhealthy, except for ones right next to where bodies of water used to be.

Science help us all.

LOCK said:
There still might be hope for Texas. Pray to God, mother nature, or whoever that it heads that way.

As long as Perry is in charge, the drought will continue.

Didnt you hear? God uses weather for political messages, and since the day of prayer went unanswered....

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Can someone with more weather savvy than me explain why they think Lee will hang a hard right into Lousiana? Shouldn't high pressure be keeping it mostly on its north westernly track?

DOO13ER said:
Can someone with more weather savvy than me explain why they think Lee will hang a hard right into Lousiana? Shouldn't high pressure be keeping it mostly on its north westernly track?

I thought the high pressure was still over Texas which was blockading the storm

cajunator

Banned
NHC has the storm coming right up the ass of my city lol.
Nobody will really do much for a 60 mph TS though, probably a little bit of sandbagging in low lying parishes.

Katia still a TS
Not expected to strengthen much today
Could be a hurricane again over the weekend

I find it interesting that they are saying "could"

Hope this trend continues

Miggytronz

AbsoluteZero said:
at201113_5day.gif

Oh son of a crap.

Edit: New Orleans is going to look like a lake come Monday morning.

yeah as slow as its moving the South is gonna be miserable for the next few days. Expect flooding everywhere.

Mikasangelos said:
yeah as slow as its moving the South is gonna be miserable for the next few days. Expect flooding everywhere.

Well, guess I need to start moving everything off my floor when I get home.

Fuck.

BigJonsson said:
At least its not Katia hitting NOLA?

I dunno, I think I'd prefer it, since it's moving along at a faster clip, it won't sit in one spot and just dump rain on us for like three or four days straight. The pumps in New Orleans won't be able to keep up.

AbsoluteZero said:
I dunno, I think I'd prefer it, since it's moving along at a faster clip, it won't sit in one spot and just dump rain on us for like three or four days straight. The pumps in New Orleans won't be able to keep up.

The Katrina replacement name would be depressing

Miggytronz

Gamecocks625 said:
Still projected to head back out to sea? Because that track freaks me out (SC resident here).
I say by Monday we will see where this thing is gonna head. Right now.............its too wobbly and unorganized to know where its heading.

Miggytronz

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html?entrynum=1913

Tropical Depression Thirteen formed last night over the Northern Gulf of Mexico and is slowly intensifying, but isn't in a hurry to go anywhere. What TD 13 will do is dump torrential rains along the northern Gulf Coast over the next three or more days. So far, rain amounts along the coast have mostly been below one inch.

Hurricane Katia is continuing its long trek across the Atlantic Ocean today, and will not pose a danger to any land areas over the next five days. Katia is still struggling with dry air and moderate wind shear of 10 - 20 knots. Latest satellite loops show surface-based arc-shaped clouds racing to the southwest away from Katia's core, a sign that dry air is penetrating into Katia's thunderstorms and creating strong downdrafts that are robbing the storm of heat and moisture. Katia is over warm ocean waters of 28.5°C, and these waters will increase in temperature to 29°C over the next five days. Katia will pass well north of the region of cooler waters stirred up by the passage of Hurricane Irene last week.

The models are split on when the upper-level trough of low pressure bringing the wind shear to Katia will move away, and the storm may spend two more days battling wind shear and dry air before the upper-level trough pulls away to the north and allows Katia to intensify more readily. It is still unclear how much of a threat Katia may pose to the U.S., but it is becoming increasingly clear that Katia will pass uncomfortably close to the U.S. East Coast. The trough of low pressure currently steering Katia to the northwest will lift out early next week, and a ridge of high pressure is expected to build in, forcing Katia more to the west. This decreases the danger to Bermuda, but increases the danger to the U.S. A second trough of low pressure is expected to begin affecting Katia by the middle of next week, and will potentially recurve the storm out to sea before it hits the U.S.

NH Apache

Banned
I'm Bartending in the fq this weekend. I think we may have to close sunday and Monday. Shit is gonna get crazy. 20 inches of rain with hurricane winds sunday. Yeah, I'm outtie.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AbsoluteZero said:
at201113_5day.gif

Oh son of a crap.

Edit: New Orleans is going to look like a lake come Monday morning.

What does Minimum pressure mean when it comes to these hurricanes?

NH Apache said:
I'm Bartending in the fq this weekend. I think we may have to close sunday and Monday. Shit is gonna get crazy. 20 inches of rain with hurricane winds sunday. Yeah, I'm outtie.

Oh yeah? Where at?

Pollux

Mikasangelos said:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html?entrynum=1913
so basically Katia is probably going to hit the east coast and depending on how fast it curves back out to sea it could drill new york/new england, or am i just completely reading this wrong?

Miggytronz

zmoney said:
so basically Katia is probably going to hit the east coast and depending on how fast it curves back out to sea it could drill new york/new england, or am i just completely reading this wrong?

If a High builds in the atlantic its very likely its gonna hit the east cost, how? nobody knows. Right now it looks like its not taking a solid northerly track at all and B lining towards NC/VA. So we'll see by weekends end to see where it is.

Pollux

Mikasangelos said:
If a High builds in the atlantic its very likely its gonna hit the east cost, how? nobody knows. Right now it looks like its not taking a solid northerly track at all and B lining towards NC/VA. So we'll see by weekends end to see where it is.
Gotcha...will keep an eye out. thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom