• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Season 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
This half of Louisiana is also under extreme drought conditions, but because it rains here a LOT that means it has rained here a fair bit more by comparison. Everything is still green and lakes are filled. We had a lot of excess water due to the springtime flooding, so that probably helped us to weather the drought thus far. I'm used to having a heavy rainstorm every day in the summer and that definitely hasn't happened.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
LOCK said:
As a Plant Biologist I would like to see some images of the trees also. It is interesting to determine if they are dying or going into hybernation. If they are dying then you guys are in so much trouble.

Plus then that means it will take large quantities of water to satisfy the flora, much less fauna and refilling lakes.

Found a gold mine of pictures:
http://photoblog.statesman.com/dry-season-the-texas-drought-of-2011

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
cajunator said:
This half of Louisiana is also under extreme drought conditions, but because it rains here a LOT that means it has rained here a fair bit more by comparison. Everything is still green and lakes are filled. We had a lot of excess water due to the springtime flooding, so that probably helped us to weather the drought thus far. I'm used to having a heavy rainstorm every day in the summer and that definitely hasn't happened.

In coastal Southeast Texas we'd normally get afternoon thundershowers just about every day from June through September due to daytime heating and moisture rolling in from the Gulf. All told I think the Houston area has received an average about about six or seven inches of rain since January. Where I live in Baytown, we haven't had a significant rain event of a half an inch or more since October 2010.

teh_pwn said:
I expect significant wildfires soon in the Austin area. Lots of grass has turned into dirt. Trees are sickly redish/dark brown/yellow, many are completely dead. Tap water tastes like lukewarm bath water.

Having recently moved from L.A. to Austin, I can echo this. Los Angeles seems like Seattle in comparison. I'm originally from Texas and I immediately regretted my decision to return.

cajunator said:

A month or two ago we had a week or two where it rained every goddamn day, but not for more than like two or three hours if I remember properly.

cajunator said:
I know what the prices are and when they will go up around here. I work as a fuel tanker dispatcher. I already filled up my car yesterday before the shit went down. Didn't have to wait at all.

Heeeere comes the rain. Glorious rain.

Looks like it's slacked up for the night, but the goddamn frogs are deafening if you walk outside.

Filled up my car before coming home tonight. Managed to hit the bank to deposit my paycheck as well so I don't have to go anywhere all weekend.

Thankfully the boss decided to close the shop on Monday, so I can look forward to an extended weekend of praying to go shit doesn't get too fucked up.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah it supposed to be like a sauna most days, but it has been really dry.
Been a weird summer overall, and to think it started off with nearly record flooding.
It rains really hard for a day or two but the ground is already so parched it just soaks it up like a sponge.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
What's even more bizarre is our local forecasters are now calling for a minor cool front to push through Texas later in the week and bring us slightly less hot but much drier air.

I'm certainly no meteorologist but I just don't fucking get weather sometimes. A disturbance as huge and robust as Lee bumps into a high pressure system and is diverted away from Texas, how the hell is a pissy "cool" front going to charge past it and into the state?

cajunator

Banned
It's raining again.
I wish there was some way to funnel some of Louisianas excess water to other areas. Although right now obviously we need what we can get as well.

LOCK

teh_pwn said:
Yeah the trees they say are dead are not very clear. However one of the August pictures shows a forest in the background which is turning colors. That is probably hibernation. However if this continues then things won't be pretty. Trees harbor huge amounts of water, and even during droughts they will still collect large amounts of ground water, but with a drought this sever then the trees will need large amounts from the loss. Once trees start to die or hybernate early this really screws up the ecology of a community and ecosystem. A domino effect...

Tornado Siren's blowing. Never a fun sound to hear at 3AM.

I live 5 miles from a nuclear power plant so they use the sirens designed for that for tornados as well.

cajunator said:
This kind of stuff makes me wonder why islands out in the ocean do not suffer from extreme droughts? Or do they?

many islands around the world have problems with drought from low rainfall even more common among smaller islands

cajunator

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Tornado Siren's blowing. Never a fun sound to hear at 3AM.

I live 5 miles from a nuclear power plant so they use the sirens designed for that for tornados as well.
whereabouts in Louisiana do you live?

Relix said:
Not sure why NHC still called for a NW movement.
Large amount of variance involved with 6 hour snapshots. One slight wobble can distort the results. Katia moved northwest for the most part over the last 24 hours. The scary part is that all of the wobbles so far have been to the west and none of them to the north.

5AM update is in and over the last 6 hours we had a perfectly NW path (.8N, .8W)

NH Apache

Banned
Just got to work. Tons of places are already closed in the french quarter. Causeway is closed already too.

We had some crazy rains last night which has resulted in minor flooding in some parts of the city, about 8 to 10 inches in some parts. Local channels have switched over to 24/7 news, mostly levee watches.

For now, I'm just going to get some people drunk and keep them happy. I'm outta here around 2 at the latest. Normal drive to Covington is about 35 minutes. Should take me 3 to 4 hours with traffic.

cajunator

Banned
NH Apache said:
Just got to work. Tons of places are already closed in the french quarter. Causeway is closed already too.

We had some crazy rains last night which has resulted in minor flooding in some parts of the city, about 8 to 10 inches in some parts. Local channels have switched over to 24/7 news, mostly levee watches.

For now, I'm just going to get some people drunk and keep them happy. I'm outta here around 2 at the latest. Normal drive to Covington is about 35 minutes. Should take me 3 to 4 hours with traffic.
wait, a Pats fan living in NOLA? how the hell did this happen?
I'm just curious for the explanation.

AVclub

It's been a week since Irene hit my area. My crawl space is still flooded. My heating system needs fixing. My electricity is still out. Mind you, the rest of my town has power restored. Even the apartment above my detached garage (which is on a separate meter) has electricity. My house still doesn't though. My front and back yard are yellow. All the plant life, including two of my wife's gardens, were destroyed by the salt water.

It feels shitty...however, what makes me feel worse is that I was one of the lucky ones. The damages to my property are nothing compared to some of my neighbors. It blows my mind how much damage this storm has caused.

I'm just hoping Katia turns north sooner. I don't want to have to worry about it by this time next weekend up here in CT. I don't want to push my luck

cajunator

Banned
Hey man, I didn't make this weather.
However, I do live in a state that is chock full of water.
There is a gigantic swamp 5 miles out of town.
Texas is mostly prairie land.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
cajunator said:
Can somebody take pictures of the drought conditions?
Sounds pretty extreme, like a mini dust-bowl.

Here is what the fishing pier normally looks like :

tBALb.png

Here is what it looks like right now :

TrYYN.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Damn. That must be surreal in some areas.
Like seeing those huge dead fish. I try to imagine if the Atchafalaya Swamp was mostly dry. Can't even picture it.

Texas is hot as hell cannot imagine it during drought season

I lived in Beaumont for less than a month had to run after moving and paying rent and signing a lease. It was too damn hot. But I remembered it rained like crazy flooding my street at the time
KuGsj.gif

Texas: A whole other country

cajunator

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
Texas is hot as hell cannot imagine it during drought season

I lived in Beaumont for less than a month had to run after moving and paying rent and signing a lease. It was too damn hot. But I remembered it rained like crazy flooding my street at the time
KuGsj.gif

Texas: A whole other country
Texas and Louisiana are like two separate countries bordering the US.

HylianTom

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
So like, what the hell, I'm waking up to a sunny, rain-free Saturday morning. I wasn't expecting this until Tuesday at the earliest.

Yup. Color me relieved. My parents live over in Kenner, and I don't think Mom and Dad could mentally take another flood.

They need to get the hell out of there.

did that CNN guy say LEE is moving 2 miles per hour
KuGsj.gif

damn thats slow

cajunator said:
Maybe next time you come through (if ever) you can pick up some boudin along the way. You should really try that stuff.

I gave up eating pork years ago, if its spicy I would be missing out... I was born in Haiti so we have History with this area so I'll visit some day :)

usea

Here in Baton Rouge it's also sunny and not even raining. Looks like any normal day. A lot of my friends from Slidell say power is out there though. Weird.

Valkyr Junkie said:
You poor son of a bitch.

Oh I was pretty poor at the time... I still am so I don't mind Greyhound road trips when I can afford it :)

I had a girl move to Baton Rouge always asking me to come visit I know someday I got to stop avoiding LA I should just go to find out what is the story behind the red stick - there better be a stick

Rain picking up again after a dry morning. Ditches are starting to fill up. Tornado siren went off about a half-hour ago, I'll shoot some video while it's going off next time.

Here's a view from my front door.

grJCD.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
he said he is just outside of Lafayette, LA
Weather isn't bad here. I think its around Crowley.
I'm on the northside though but looking out that way it looks pitch black.

AbsoluteZero said:
Rain picking up again after a dry morning. Ditches are starting to fill up. Tornado siren went off about a half-hour ago, I'll shoot some video while it's going off next time.

Here's a view from my front door.

grJCD.jpg

By the way, how is your Fusion doing? Mine is sitting out front, getting a good washing.

cajunator said:
Weather isn't bad here. I think its around Crowley.
I'm on the northside though but looking out that way it looks pitch black.

he just said he is headed to Baton Rouge but the stream is very choppy guys Sprint is not working well there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom