• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Season 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
DOO13ER said:
Is it just me being hopelessly desperate or are Lee's rain bands inching closer to Houston? I'm in hot-as-fuck Corpus right now so I can't tell. H-Town GAF, report!

It definitively looks like it's heading West. Still dry here in Katy though.

bigtroyjon said:
Large amount of variance involved with 6 hour snapshots. One slight wobble can distort the results. Katia moved northwest for the most part over the last 24 hours. The scary part is that all of the wobbles so far have been to the west and none of them to the north.

5AM update is in and over the last 6 hours we had a perfectly NW path (.8N, .8W)

11PM update is out and in the last 18 hours Katia has returned to a more western direction. (1.0N, 2.3W) Starting to get to the point where it's looking likely Katia will head toward the east coast, major question is what's going to happen as it approaches. Hopefully it follows the models and turns out to sea.

Lee's slight movement has been west recently. (.0N, .5W last 6 hours)

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
DOO13ER said:
Is it just me being hopelessly desperate or are Lee's rain bands inching closer to Houston? I'm in hot-as-fuck Corpus right now so I can't tell. H-Town GAF, report!

Eh nothing other than a prolonged sprinkle. The wind has been more noticeable than the rain. I'm in Humble btw.

Crazymother stream is somewhat interesting at the moment. They are driving around Louisiana through floods, his brother has a small car and had water coming trough the door. They are arguing on the phone

edit- I guess they are in Mississippi, just pulled into Biloxi, looking for Cantore from the weather channel so they can moon him.

cajunator

Banned
The center is in the same exact place it was 12 hours ago. Storm has stalled and is just dumping rain everywhere. Goodbye drought.

Wow, Katia just took a major leap in strength in the last update. From a TS to a cat2 in 6 hours. Good news is that movement has been NW in the last 12 hours(1.6N, 1.8W) so hopefully it will just turn away into nothing.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
bigtroyjon said:
Wow, Katia just took a major leap in strength in the last update. From a TS to a cat2 in 6 hours. Good news is that movement has been NW in the last 12 hours(1.6N, 1.8W) so hopefully it will just turn away into nothing.

Actually NHC underestimated the storm. A buoy north of PR was reporting 90mph winds even before 5am. She's been stronger than this for a while

Relix said:
Actually NHC underestimated the storm. A buoy north of PR was reporting 90mph winds even before 5am. She's been stronger than this for a while
Advisory mentioned that the info came from a buoy reading for this last update so I guess we will be getting more accurate info now.

at201112_model.gif

say your prayers Bermuda

Maria Maria

oh Maria Maria
She reminds me of a west side story
Growing up in Spanish Harlem
She's living the life just like a movie star

Thread died... I guess you guys have Hurricane burn out?

I want Maria by the weekend plz
3AQmK.gif
(yes, I gave up on Katia that tease)

Invest 95 is out threre so it may not be long until the next storm is named.

Still not out of the woods yet on Katia. Turn out to sea is supposed to start around Thurdsay it looks like so that day will be the exciting one. Not much to talk about until that does or does not happen.

Models on Katia have been wrong for a week straight so lets hope that they finally have things figured out.

AlimNassor said:
Oh well looks like the fires are here now. Theres a massive wildfire not even 30 minutes away from me. :/
I have a friend in Smithville Texas and she said a lot of Bastrop county is on fire and they are going to evacuate. Texas is litterally hell on earth right now. 50+ days of 100+ degree weather, a record breaking drought, and now a lot of the state is on fire

edit: beaten by ZROCOOL by seconds on calling Texas hell

This new one is the one we should be scared of.

Formed far enough south that the high pressure in the Atlantic is unlikely to fling it out into the open ocean like Katia.

Vicious

So we just got power back after losing it for 22 hours after Lee decided to be a bit of an asshole to the Birmingham area. Was expecting the rain, was not expecting it to still have all the high wind which knocked trees down everywhere.

When we first got through to the power company, their estimate was that the power would be restored by Saturday. Thankfully we didn't have to wait that long, but there's still areas around here without power.

I moved out of Florida to get away from this shit and already this year we had a record tornado outbreak and now widespread power outages from the leftovers of a tropical storm.

Thanks, nature.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wtf is happening. It's so shitty outside. I had a day off from classes today and it still felt like a boring Sunday.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
06nbarnhill said:

Formed far enough south that the high pressure in the Atlantic is unlikely to fling it out into the open ocean like Katia.

Which new one? Invest 95 or 96?

pestul

06nbarnhill said:

Yeah, most models are still pegging it as a fish storm, but I'd be worried about the low latitude start. It will pass through incredibly warm waters for the majority of its journey across the atlantic.. and hopefully not towards the GoM.

AirBrian

pestul said:
Yeah, most models are still pegging it as a fish storm, but I'd be worried about the low latitude start. It will pass through incredibly warm waters for the majority of its journey across the atlantic.. and hopefully not towards the GoM.
Looks like "most models" doesn't apply after the overnight development...

at201114_model.gif

cajunator

Banned
This one is moving pretty fast. the odds of this one hitting the coast are much higher. For one thing it doesn't have a lot of time to strengthen, and another it is formed much further South. There is a specific "Hebert box" where if the storm passes through it, has a high chance of striking the coast.

gcubed

Hey guys, hows it going. Guess what, I'm officially tired of rain. This is more rain in a month then has ever fallen around here, and its not slowing down. It makes me depressed, is this how it is to live in England?

ToxicAdam

gcubed said:
Hey guys, hows it going. Guess what, I'm officially tired of rain. This is more rain in a month then has ever fallen around here, and its not slowing down. It makes me depressed, is this how it is to live in England?

No, you have to eat shitty, bland food everyday to really get the full effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom