• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors Legends |OT| Linkle, Linkle, Little Star.

MiTYH

Get the gold skulltulas from the 18 main story missions and the hard mode skulltulas from the first two stages. The stage you unlock from that is pretty good or leveling up. Once you reach the third adventure map then you can do this to level up super fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKH17eVPQD8

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

One last thing, to get spaces opened up on the adventure map, if you're missing an item, you just have to replay a map stage that gives that item, right? So basically lots of grinding to get the items you need?

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

One last thing, to get spaces opened up on the adventure map, if you're missing an item, you just have to replay a map stage that gives that item, right? So basically lots of grinding to get the items you need?

Yep. You have to do a few stages before the item respawns though which means you at least won't be doing the same stage a bunch of times in a row just to grind item cards.

Zeeman

Thinking of picking this up because it's on sale at Canadian Best Buy. Is the DLC like must-buy from the beginning or can I wait to get it?

Does it still have those super awful cutscenes every time you approach an officer and the unskippable ones every time you open a chest? Can't handle it if so.

Kinsei

Banned
Does it still have those super awful cutscenes every time you approach an officer and the unskippable ones every time you open a chest? Can't handle it if so.

Nope. There's been an option to remove those since a patch shortly after the launch of the Wii U original.

Thinking of picking this up because it's on sale at Canadian Best Buy. Is the DLC like must-buy from the beginning or can I wait to get it?

It's got all the content from the wii u game (Base Wii U + DLC) included on the card. Plus several new stages and a new adventure map.

So lots of content to start with. Honestly, you shouldn't even be trying the DLC until you've put a lot of time in to the base game content to get most of the level 3 weapons (probably close to a hundred hours if not more to do that).

What's the best way to level up your units? With new DLC I want to get back into this, but I'm still on the first adventure map IIRC and struggling with levels. Did beat (I think most of if not all) the main storyline

Honestly, level isn't the biggest barrier in the first map, the low level weapons are.

Counter intuitively, I'd recommend rushing to the final stage of the first map, (top row, 6th space along), beating that, which unlocks the second adventure map, which has the stages there to unlock the level 2 weapons. Until you've gotten those, use the characters from the story mode that you got level 2 weapons for (Impa, shiek, Zelda, Tetra, and maybe a couple others I'm not remembering), along with the master sword to get through map 1 as quickly as possible. Then come back to it later when you're better equipped.

TDLink

My thoughts on Sand Rod and Toon Zelda....both suck and are pretty unfun. So this whole pack is kind of a let down for me. I found Marin and Linkle's Boots a lot of fun so this is really too bad. Hopefully Ravio and Yuga are good.

Really enjoying this. Bought today, knocked out a couple of Legend chapters. Put 3DS to sleep and a lot of updates (food and money) dropped. Hit up adventure mode which was addictive.

Is the dlc worth it?

Some of it is and some of it isn't, my opinion. But you don't need any of it if you're just starting out. Play the game for a while and after you've sunk some time in if you want more, check out the DLC.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
man, this game is perfect for pick up and play on the go, just wish there was a way to sync my save from the wii u so I didn't have to go through legends mode again, but I guess the game is fun enough to play again.

GenG3000

The latest DLC characters prove again that all the exclusive Legends characters are boring and uninspired, apart from Linkle and Trident Ganondorf. The base characters were fantastic and the Twilight + Majora knocked it out of the park, but these Wind Waker and DLC characters seem to be made by a small team of amateurs. They go safe in the moveset and overdo the "fill the bar to use the strong attack" instead of doing new playstyles like Majora Link with the magic bar or Tingle with the counters, to name a few from the Twilight pack.

Yuga and Ravio lend themselves naturally to some interesting gameplay but I'm sure they will be wasted.

TDLink

The latest DLC characters prove again that all the exclusive Legends characters are boring and uninspired, apart from Linkle and Trident Ganondorf. The base characters were fantastic and the Twilight + Majora knocked it out of the park, but these Wind Waker and DLC characters seem to be made by a small team of amateurs. They go safe in the moveset and overdo the "fill the bar to use the strong attack" instead of doing new playstyles like Majora Link with the magic bar or Tingle with the counters, to name a few from the Twilight pack.

Yuga and Ravio lend themselves naturally to some interesting gameplay but I'm sure they will be wasted.

I think Medli is the best of the new bunch though...granted they gave her away for free.

Kinsei

Banned

While Toon Zelda and Tetra are disappointing I think the rest of the Legends characters + DLC are really great. They're not as good as Young Link but nothing in the game is as good as Young Link.

Ryce

I'd say the characters are pretty consistent. It just so happens that certain characters are inherently more unique and/or compelling than others. I don't think it's a matter of laziness. It's not like any of the new additions recycle animations or anything like that -- they're all built from scratch. And the new characters are just as referential as the old ones (Toon Zelda's fear of rats, Wrecker boulder, et cetera).

I guarantee if characters like Darunia or Ruto were Legends DLC you'd be giving us the same "boring and uninspired" spiel. Skull Kid and Medli are just as interesting as them.

GenG3000

I'd say the characters are pretty consistent. It just so happens that certain characters are inherently more unique and/or compelling than others. I don't think it's a matter of laziness. It's not like any of the new additions recycle animations or anything like that -- they're all built from scratch. And the new characters are just as referential as the old ones (Toon Zelda's fear of rats, Wrecker boulder, et cetera).

I guarantee if characters like Darunia or Ruto were Legends DLC you'd be giving us the same "boring and uninspired" spiel. Skull Kid and Medli are just as interesting as them.

I find the new characters bland and lacking in engaging systems. I end playing with the more uncanny characters and weapons from the base game. The Great Fairy, the Power Gauntlet, the Book of Spells and the cubes, the Deku branch, the Time Gate, the Arrows of Light, the Wind Waker, Ganondorf and his powerful but slow attacks, Midna and her grapples, Sheik and the elemental songs, etc. And from the Twilight Pack, we had the Spinner, Young Link and they even made Tingle unique with the instant burst.

And then we have the Legends characters.

Linkle and Trident Ganondorf feel great and interesting. Trident Ganondorf can throw his weapon around and teleport in interesting ways.

Skull Kid is portrayed as plain wizard shooting black orbs and laser beams (?), instead of a tactical fighter that rely in AoE booby traps that fit his mischievous persona.

I don't know what to say about Tetra.

The King of Hyrule is somewhat fun in fast mode, but with an awful sound design that kills the character.

Marin just swings a bell around with no particular nuance. So much could have been done with her and the instruments, like Sheik did.

The Sand Rod is the Book of Spells with a "press Y to unleash train".

Toon Zelda doesn't have any differenciating mechanic at all.

I have yet to play Medli and the Pegasus Boots in detail, but I'm already soured towards the DLC characters. Fortunately, the extra maps are a nice addition.

Ruto was fantastic, her moveset based on water dances was very creative and had a simple but effective implementation of the charge bar. Darunia's attacks felt powerful and intimidating. Even if these were not the best characters around, they felt alright because they belonged to the base game. The problem is when you have to pay for extra characters and these don't deliver. When you sell DLC characters, all have to be stellar. These new characters seem to be developed by the new guy while the core team moved onto something else.

Crap, Already asked this in the zelda community thread not realising there's a seperate thread for these games that's a lot more active..

Anyway, I decided that I want to pick up Hyrule Warriors. I have both a Wii U and a New 3DS XL, which version should I get GAF? Sounds like Legends has a lot more content?

TDLink

Crap, Already asked this in the zelda community thread not realising there's a seperate thread for these games that's a lot more active..

Anyway, I decided that I want to pick up Hyrule Warriors. I have both a Wii U and a New 3DS XL, which version should I get GAF? Sounds like Legends has a lot more content?

All characters and weapons are available in both versions, but for the Wii U version you'll have to pay for more of them separately.

The original DLC for HW comes as a season pass.

That DLC for HW was all included with base Legends. The new characters in base Legends are available as a separate "season pass" sort of for Wii U. Then there is also a new season pass for the 3ds version, which you can buy for either or both versions.

The new features for Legends which are not available in the Wii U version include being able to switch between multiple characters in battle via the touch screen, several new story missions featuring Linkle and the other base Legends characters, the Great Sea Adventure Map, and new adventure maps from the newer DLC Season pass.

The Wii U version's exclusive features are challenge mode, Boss mode (from the first season pass), and the much better graphics and animations.

Both versions will give you hundreds of hours of gameplay, even if you don't buy any DLC (or only buy the first season pass on Wii U).

That should be all the info you need to make an informed decision.

NeonZ

The Wii U version's exclusive features are challenge mode, Boss mode (from the first season pass), and the much better graphics and animations.

Co-op(local, no online for either version) also is exclusive for the Wii U. Boss mode has two exclusive characters which are only playable on Wii U (
Ganon and a giant Cucco
). Goofy looking 8 Bit weapons are exclusive to the Wii U DLC. There's also a Zelda 1 Link skin which was added by an update to the Wii U version for free but so far is only a limited pre-order bonus in the 3ds version.

The Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask maps in the Wii U version have very high level requirements with damage sponge enemies, and that was fixed in the 3ds version with the addition of level 4 weapons and lowering their stats.

Ryce

The Great Fairy, the Power Gauntlet, the Book of Spells and the cubes, the Deku branch, the Time Gate, the Arrows of Light, the Wind Waker, Ganondorf and his powerful but slow attacks, Midna and her grapples, Sheik and the elemental songs, etc.
I find the Wind Waker to be an incredibly bland and uninteresting weapon, especially when compared to its functionality in TWW. There's a lot of wasted potential there.

laser beams (?)
bFmgB0H.png

I don't know what to say about Tetra.
She's a pirate. The cutlass and flintlock are stereotypical pirate weapons. She even references her Zelda persona with the light arrows. Tetra might not have the most interesting move set in the game, but there's not a whole lot you can do with her. She exhibits a grand total of zero fighting techniques in The Wind Waker.

When you sell DLC characters, all have to be stellar.
Practically every game I can think of has its share of non-stellar DLC characters.

TDLink

Co-op(local, no online for either version) also is exclusive for the Wii U. Boss mode has two exclusive characters which are only playable on Wii U (
Ganon and a giant Cucco
). Goofy looking 8 Bit weapons are exclusive to the Wii U DLC. There's also a Zelda 1 Link skin which was added by an update to the Wii U version for free but so far is only a limited pre-order bonus in the 3ds version.

The Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask maps in the Wii U version have very high level requirements with damage sponge enemies, and that was fixed in the 3ds version with the addition of level 4 weapons and lowering their stats.

Right this is all true and I definitely forgot about it. If you want to play together locally with someone, Wii U is the version you need. 3DS has no multiplayer at all. Wii U still doesn't have online though.

I find the Wind Waker to be an incredibly bland and uninteresting weapon, especially when compared to its functionality in TWW. There's a lot of wasted potential there.

bFmgB0H.png

She's a pirate. The cutlass and flintlock are stereotypical pirate weapons. She even references her Zelda persona with the light arrows. Tetra might not have the most interesting move set in the game, but there's not a whole lot you can do with her. She exhibits a grand total of zero fighting techniques in The Wind Waker.

Practically every game I can think of has its share of non-stellar DLC characters.

Building on this, I think Dominion Rod Zelda is terrible as is Summoning Gate Lana. Spear Lana is also very underwhelming. It's not like the base game or the base game's DLC was flawless.

Ryce

Building on this, I think Dominion Rod Zelda is terrible as is Summoning Gate Lana. Spear Lana is also very underwhelming. It's not like the base game or the base game's DLC was flawless.
Yeah, for every truly unique and interesting character/weapon there's a safe, bland one. It's been like that since the original release. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but the notion that there's been a sudden drop-off in character quality with Legends is baffling to me.

Alright, guess I'll go with the 3DS version. The game looks a lot nicer on the Wii U but being able to swiitch between multiple characters via the touch screen, the new story mission and the lower price make it sound like the better choice.

NeonZ

Every DLC weapon in DW8 attempted to have some unique gimmick to stand out from the base game movesets. The base HW DLC characters also all had unique additions, like the statues switching for the Rod or Epona's constant movement. Looking from that point of view, the DLC additions in Legends are basic and cheaper. The only one that really bothered me so far was Toon Zelda though.

TDLink

Every DLC weapon in DW8 attempted to have some unique gimmicky to stand out from the base game movesets. The base HW DLC characters also all had unique additions, like the statues switching for the Rod or Epona's constant movement. Looking from that point of view, the DLC additions in Legends are basic and cheaper. The only one that really bothered me so far was Toon Zelda though.

I would argue the base new Legends characters, plus Medli, all still have something unique about them. So really we're only talking about 2 characters and 2 weapons here.

Kinsei

Banned
Really enjoying my time with this (thanks to TheMoon for the apt advice).

I've been losing myelf to Adventure mode with only 3 chapters into the Legends mode.

I do have to ask: is there a guide anyone can recommend to pinpoint where the searchable locations on each piece of the grid are?

Thanks in advance

The locations of bombable walls, burnable bushes and so on are exactly the same from Zelda 1. The new stuff you (water rocks, fire rings, etc) are all really obvious. http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/engel_zelda10.gif

I'd recommend sticking to Legends mode to unlock characters so you don't have to play a bunch of stages more than you have to. There are 5 adventure maps (not counting DLC) so there's a ton of stages to go through without redoing bunch.

TheMoon

Adventure mode:

So i search for a secret on a grid, said i need to "A" Rank Victory to get a Heart Piece. I got straight As in all categories but did not get the heart.

What did I miss?

wrong character? don't remember how this worked exactly. some of these rewards are character-specific. it shows you which, though.

MrPanic

Adventure mode:

So i search for a secret on a grid, said i need to "A" Rank Victory to get a Heart Piece. I got straight As in all categories but did not get the heart.

What did I miss?

If the heart is greyed out, use the correct item on the map to unlock the reward.
If it's unlocked, use the character highlighted under the heart on that map to unlock the heart for that character. Be wary if it's Link, as the icons for different Links are quite similar.

GenG3000

It has manual aiming and the random "marking" feature to upgrade the strong attack, which is quite interesting.

Didn't know about that. Is that exclusive to the 3DS version of Majora's Mask?

DeVeAn

So I loved the Wii U version. I never got the season pass because already had so much content. I got the itch to return and continue playing again. The 3DS seems really good aside from the graphics.

I feel like the 3DS version makes sense although I don't want to abandon my Wii U save. Should I keep on with the Wii U version and get that DLC there or go 3DS and buy DLC combo stuff when I get to it?

Kinsei

Banned
So I loved the Wii U version. I never got the season pass because already had so much content. I got the itch to return and continue playing again. The 3DS seems really good aside from the graphics.

I feel like the 3DS version makes sense although I don't want to abandon my Wii U save. Should I keep on with the Wii U version and get that DLC there or go 3DS and buy DLC combo stuff when I get to it?

I say you should get the 3DS version. The new features along with all of the additions to the DLC maps make it the definitive HW experience IMO.

DeVeAn

I say you should get the 3DS version. The new features along with all of the additions to the DLC maps make it the definitive HW experience IMO.

Figured it would be. Still unsure. I invested a lot of time with the Wii U version. I was hoping the extra maps would come to Wii U.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Figured it would be. Still unsure. I invested a lot of time with the Wii U version. I was hoping the extra maps would come to Wii U.

What TheMoon said, but it also probably was never going to come because they can cut the budget way down by not having to produce really nice versions of every model and texture. At this point, I have to imagine the Legends DLC team is much smaller than the team that worked on the original Hyrule Warriors. They're likely now working on another Musou game or HW2 for NX.

DeVeAn

Just kinda bums me out because I want to just continue with Wii U version but, I know I'd be missing out a ton of content.

TDLink

Just kinda bums me out because I want to just continue with Wii U version but, I know I'd be missing out a ton of content.

It depends what you want to get out of the game. You can still get hundreds of hours out of the 4 adventure maps in the Wii U game. And you can still get the new characters/weapons anyways. You just won't get costumes and stuff for non-base characters.

Kinsei

Banned

Starting over does suck but the game has added a lot of changes to the original adventure map and the hard mode gold skulltulas so it's not that bad. Your regular run through legend mode will be a bit samey (although the new side-quests are nice) but it doesn't take too long to get through the original 18 stages.

Richie

Hell, the 3DS version can give off this feeling if you're of the idea that Tecmo may do a Complete Edition for the NX instead of a proper sequel, with even more stuff added in there.

Hoping not, though, this game is fun as hell.

DeVeAn

Starting over does suck but the game has added a lot of changes to the original adventure map and the hard mode gold skulltulas so it's not that bad. Your regular run through legend mode will be a bit samey (although the new side-quests are nice) but it doesn't take too long to get through the original 18 stages.

So, is the adventure mode still rough to go through? Never finished it due to failing some of the harder parts on the map.

Kinsei

Banned
So, is the adventure mode still rough to go through? Never finished it due to failing some of the harder parts on the map.

Nope. Since there are now 5 adventure maps the original's difficulty was toned down. It will get harder once you get to the maps that were DLC in the Wii U version but by then your characters will be at decently high levels.

GenG3000

Nope. You can even reflect them back at it with the mirror shield so I'm surprised you don't remember it.

I swear I didn't know and I've been playing MM regularly since the 64 version came out. I use FD everytime so it was probably that.

Today I tried the Time Gate in 3DS for the first time and I died a bit inside. I mean, the weapon is still the same in gameplay terms but the orbs thing kill most of its spectacle and hilariousness.

Kinsei

Banned
I swear I didn't know and I've been playing MM regularly since the 64 version came out. I use FD everytime so it was probably that.

Today I tried the Time Gate in 3DS for the first time and I died a bit inside. I mean, the weapon is still the same in gameplay terms but the orbs thing kill most of its spectacle and hilariousness.

Yeah it is a shame that they toned down the summoning gate like that. It really makes it a whole lot less fun to use.

Sober

Well that's disconcerting to hear since I recently bought the WiiU version (not the DLC though). I hear the 3DS version sucks unless you have the N3DS though.

TDLink

Well that's disconcerting to hear since I recently bought the WiiU version (not the DLC though). I hear the 3DS version sucks unless you have the N3DS though.

Absolutely true. If you don't have a n3ds the game is not worth playing on the 3ds. It runs like complete shit. It's absolutely a n3ds exclusive game that they didn't make exclusive just for more potential sales.

VandalD

Maybe I just have low standards for this kind of thing, but I thought it was playable enough on the original 3DS. That said, no way would I want to go back to that after playing it on a N3DS. The difference is big, and you can do a quick comparison by just turning on the 3D, because that makes it run like it does on the original. I think if you are never able to compare the two versions, it's a good bit more forgiveable. But when you feel the higher framerate and see many more enemies on screen (and the camera nub controls don't hurt either), I can absolutely understand feeling like the original 3DS version shouldn't have even been released.

I want to grab the DLC at some point. I haven't jumped on it because I still haven't done the tons of crap there is to do already in the game.

Top Bottom