• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

Frodo

gtfoloyiw.gif

Potential GTFO gif

Who would have thought?

Musou Zelda.

Edit: to be quite honest since Skyward Sword where you
fight hordes and hordes of bukoblins and other enemies before the fight with Demise
I've been wanting something similar in another Zelda. But instead I got a whole new game based on it... :)

Zalman

I wonder if they'll actually leave "Legend of Zelda" out of the final title. The trailer said "Hyrule Warriors" is a working title.

On the one hand, it seems highly unadvisable to bank on the average consumer knowing the name "Hyrule." You'd think everyone who likes Link/Zelda would know Hyrule, but there is a certain risk. Thus, naming it something like "The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors" would be safer.

On the other hand, one could argue that having "The Legend of Zelda" in the title suggests a certain style of gameplay -- dungeons, puzzle-solving, etc -- which this title will clearly not have.

I suppose "Link's Crossbow Training" is the closest point of reference. It didn't have Zelda in the title. It did have Link's name, however. And it was more of a peripheral pack-in, anyways.
I was wondering the same think. I'm guessing they will have Link in the title. To be honest though, I really like the name Hyrule Warriors. I would love if they kept that.

So my computer had frozen, and then it came back and all i heard from Iwata saying "world of Legend of Zelda" and I was like Holllly fuckkkk here it issssssssssss. I didn't realize til after it was a spin off, but holy crap was I excited! I LOVE the scarf, armor, and blue highlights - this Link design is frikkin awesome!!!

Wiz

Still don't know what to make of this. More surprising than Fire Emblem X Shin Megami.

I'll just have to wait and see how this one turns out.

Jagsrock

Banned
Hopefully this come before fall. I don't want them to push back zelda u like they did with dk tropic freeze. Still looks like a pretty badass game. Some of those attacks were awesome looking. I'm pretty sure we can assume though that zelda u will have a much different art style.

It looks really lazy and uninspired graphically, art style is pretty bland too. Nintendo should make Tecmo try harder than this. Zelda deserves better.

The game could be fun, but it shouldn't look this low budget.

Man, people have never seen the Warriors games, have they? They don't have great graphics because of how many enemies they push on screen.

Nekofrog

Banned
Different devs, this game doesn't effect Zelda U at all.

That's not what I meant.

Nintendo seems to be shitting their pants right now, and screaming "PUMP OUT ANYTHING WITH ZELDA ON IT REUSE ALL THE ASSETS WHO CARES" because they know that the real thing isn't anywhere close to being done.

Also, releasing it in spring (if they intend to) means that the next Zelda really IS far away. They'd never risk cannibalizing sales of a "tentpole" series like that by having consecutive Zelda games released close together (within 2 years). Look at what happened to Mario.

Linkhero1

I wonder if they'll actually leave "Legend of Zelda" out of the final title. The trailer said "Hyrule Warriors" is a working title.

On the one hand, it seems highly unadvisable to bank on the average consumer knowing the name "Hyrule." You'd think everyone who likes Link/Zelda would know Hyrule, but there is a certain risk. Thus, naming it something like "The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors" would be safer.

On the other hand, one could argue that having "The Legend of Zelda" in the title suggests a certain style of gameplay -- dungeons, puzzle-solving, etc -- which this title will clearly not have.

I suppose "Link's Crossbow Training" is the closest point of reference. It didn't have Zelda in the title. It did have Link's name, however. And it was more of a peripheral pack-in, anyways.
I think that if they're trying to bank on Zelda franchise with this game they would want to include it in the name. True that Link's Crossbow Training didn't have Zelda in the title but it was bundled with an accessory and was built using TP assets iirc.

Edit: I hope Tingle is playable.

That's not what I meant.

Nintendo seems to be shitting their pants right now, and screaming "PUMP OUT ANYTHING WITH ZELDA ON IT REUSE ALL THE ASSETS WHO CARES" because they know that the real thing isn't anywhere close to being done.

Also, releasing it in spring (if they intend to) means that the next Zelda really IS far away. They'd never risk cannibalizing sales of a "tentpole" series like that by having consecutive Zelda games released close together (within 2 years). Look at what happened to Mario.

You're making a lot of assumptions, some of which rely on Nintendo being dumber than they are, and some of which rely on Nintendo being smarter than they are.

Neiteio

I think that if they're trying to bank on Zelda franchise with this game they would want to include it in the name. True that Link's Crossbow Training didn't have Zelda in the title but it was bundled with an accessory and was built using TP assets iirc.
Yeah, that's a good point. Shocking Alberto also raises a good point that keeping "Warriors" in the title will likely be a priority since it's a crossover project.

I'm guessing it'll be called "The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors." I'm just a tad apprehensive since someone buying "the new Zelda game" sight unseen would be in for a shock.

Kouichi

Here is what you need to know about Musou games:

1) Always play on a fairly high difficulty. The game is on baby mode for like the first three difficulties. Enemies barely attack, they all stand in circles and send one guy at you at a time like a dance battle, and there's never any pressure between two choices or how fast you can get somewhere with that level of AI.

2) Every trailer is always on an easy difficulty. It's impossible to get a feel for the AI without actually playing it or seeing the game LPed on Youtube. Everyone just gathers around Link here because it's probably on easy,

3) They are ultimately high-score games. Yeah, I suppose you can just put it on easy and press the attack button three times, but you're going to get a shitty score by doing so. By making the most efficient route, using combos and area attacks, and fighting smartly, you maximize your score. It's okay to still not like that genre, but recognize the genre for what it is before you dislike it.

Thanks for this post. I'll keep in mind.

I've never played musou games and I'm interested in getting this and Pirate Warriors 2 at some point.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Initial reaction: THIS IS THE "WAT" OF THE DECADE

follow up reaction: Isn't it weird that nintendo would allow koei to make a game with one of their most sacred IPs?

upon rewatching the gameplay footage reaction: HOLY SHIT THIS LOOKS AWESOME

But seriously my 2nd reaction question still stands. Why on earth would nintendo trust Koei out of everyone to use their own IP? I'm guessing it's going to be a large of koei devs brought in as consultants on a nintendo helmed project. I was going to say that this might get a million delay's but it only has about 6-8 months until release.

MegaPanda

Koei is getting crazy with all these Musou releases. This game is another push for me to get a Wii U. Looking forward to see more character reveals

Man, people have never seen the Warriors games, have they? They don't have great graphics because of how many enemies they push on screen.

I mean, let's be honest, here. They don't have great graphics because the developers that make Musou games are not very good at graphics. The best looking Musou games this generation have been Gundam Musou 2 and 3 and, if I recall correctly, that series wasn't made in-house because they had the budget to make it look way nicer.

The reason this game looks bad is because Musou games usually look bad. Fans have long-since accepted this. It is a low-budget series. The intention has never been to make it look way nicer. I mean, it sucks if you want to go in there for spectacle and visual feasts (and I know some people do and that's fine), but that's not really what the games go for since they're not really capable of it.

Madouu

That's not what I meant.

This is just them pursuing what they started a long time ago, cooperating with 3rd party japanese developers and letting them use their IPs. They didn't just look at the NPD november gaf thread and thought "SHIT WE HAVE TO MAKE A ZELDA MUSOU NOW".

Finally a Zelda game worth playing.

Oh you *shakes fist in anger*

long post.

It's not a Zelda game, it's a Musou game with a Zelda theme to get people that haven't touched the series in ages (like me) possibly interested.

Rich!

I don't know why people are worried about the potential quality of the game.

Nintendo are known for keeping collaborators on a fucking tight leash, and this is Zelda.

Watched the trailer again. Graphics look like complete shit in motion but it looks FUN so that's all that matters, I guess. Is this definitely confirmed for NA?

Dandalf

Neo Member
Lots of positive reaction towards this game, but I think it looks awful - real awful.

Seems Nintendo is trying to appease Zelda fans who are asking where Wii U Zelda is, and this seems like a cheap way out.

It looks like a Dynasty Warriors game that was in development for Wii U that Nintendo slapped a Zelda skin on. Combat looks OK, but the environments are bland, the enemies are boring, and just because Nintendo tossed in a mini-boss or two doesn't make up for how mind numbingly stupid this looks.

After playing A Link Between Worlds and loving everything moment of it, this looks like a cheap cash in on the Zelda name. A Link Between Worlds felt like it was developed with care. Every nuance of the game, every environment, every dungeon, all of it. It felt like Zelda and bled charm.

This looks like a stop-gap Zelda game that'll get average reviews and ultimately be remembered as a failure among Nintendo fans. I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot poll, and it's shocking to me with how boring the game looked that people are reacting positively.

Here's the gameplay for you: memorize your favorite button combo for 'slash-slash-lift-AOE attack' and repeat. Face mini-boss (who's just an average enemy in every other Zelda game), clear the stage and get a grade. Rinse and repeat.

I'm honestly shocked people are reacting positively to this, because the Dynasty Warriors games are average at best, and the footage Nintendo showed today did nothing to assure me this will be different than any other Dynasty Warriors game. Repetitive enemies (but there's lots on screen!!!!!!!!11!!1!11!!), predictable mini-bosses, and really awful looking environments (but gaiz, there's Hyrule Castle. DO YOU SEE IT!?!!?/!1/!!?)

Nekofrog

Banned
This is just them pursuing what they started a long time ago, cooperating with 3rd party japanese developers and letting them use their IPs. They didn't just look at the NPD november gaf thread and thought "SHIT WE HAVE TO MAKE A ZELDA MUSOU NOW".

*shakes fist in anger*

Pretty sure they've been looking at the NPD/MC for a year now and have been saying that.

I mean, it's clearly running on a pre-existing engine designed for this type of game, and reusing assets everywhere (if slightly modified). It's not completely slapped together but let's not kid ourselves, this is something they could probably do pretty quickly in terms of development.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
yes, this is the only wii u game that has ever and will ever be developed

Don't you get it? Nintendo has had like, 10 days since the NPD results, they must have a Zelda x Wave Race crossover ready to show us by now.

Neiteio

Hey, what if they were to call the game "Zelda's Warriors?" That would handily reconcile the branding situation, representing LoZ and Dynasty Warriors, and without tainting the qualities attributed with The Legend of Zelda proper (dungeons, etc). And Link and the Hylian soldiers would be fighting for Zelda, I imagine, so it seems appropriate. Just unusual to see Zelda's name in the title without "The Legend of" preceding it.

Linkhero1

Musou games are niche so it's not surprising people are complaining about the graphics. I haven't played them myself but I've seen them a lot and they weren't the prettiest looking games. I'm less interested in a discussion about graphics and more interested in playable characters/weapons/etc.

Tingle please
and of course Cranky Kong.

I don't really care what those games look like. If they put the Zelda name on it, it shouldn't look low budget. Compared to Nintendo's first party titles it looks really lazy and unrefined. This and games like 3D world and X look worlds apart, both artistically and graphically.

I was just imagining
Demise
as a boss then three portraits show up on screen, link, zelda, and ganon do a triforce tri-musou attack

I'm betting they don't include the words "Legend of Zelda" in the title. But Link will be featured prominently enough on the boxart it should get the point across.

Neiteio

I... l like... I like the graphics?

I really do. Very clean and colorful. A bit of a hodgepodge having that realistic Dodongo thrown in with the SS Bokoblins, but still, I like the look and fluidity of it.

I'm less sure about the gameplay, but Shocking Alberto's words are encouraging.

Effect

What's up with all the blue on Link? A Japan only design for him?

Seeing this trailer actually makes me want to track down a copy of Warrior Orochi 3 Hyper or that Gundam Musou that came out. This is getting more interested in this type of game when I normally wasn't.

They should have gotten Sandlot to make the game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zangeki_no_REGINLEIV

They made the best "Musou" game in the past decade. Well... if you don't consider Kingdom Under Fire as a Musou style game.

I'm still annoyed this never released in North America. I really want to play this. Sure I could mod the Wii and import it but not sure how text heavy it would be. I remember thinking it was.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I know this is all for nothing really, but again, THIS IS A GAME FOR JAPAN. This is another example of Nintendo working with Japanese 3rd parties on collaborations. This is nothing unusual- the only aspect making this unusual is that musou games look like poop.

jay

Pretty sure they've been looking at the NPD/MC for a year now and have been saying that.

There are a number of posters who repeat things like "NPD just came out, they couldn't make new games in a week," who are either ignorant or purposefully ignoring how badly the WiiU has been doing since about launch. For example the post under yours.

Top Bottom