• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

I don't know why people are worried about the potential quality of the game.

Nintendo are known for keeping collaborators on a fucking tight leash, and this is Zelda.

Ehh.

Okay, so let's rap about Musou spin-offs, you guys.

They can vary wildly in quality because they often have different focuses. I don't think One Piece Musou 1 was very good because of how heavily they focused on platforming, but OPM2 really toned that shit down and got down to what you want from the title: lots of enemies and One Piece fanservice. Hokuto no Ken Musou is really, really bad because they decided to tone down the fighting and make a Musou game that centers around more one-on-one fights than big battles, as per the source material. As such, there's tons of "What were they thinking?" moments like Musou attacks being targeted strikes rather than AoE attacks that don't work well in a game without good targeting.

Will Zelda Musou be good? Maybe! Depends on what they focus on. Just on gut feeling, I think this game will have more exploration and discovery in it than traditional Musou games, which could be a cool change of pace or a half-hearted idea that drags the game down considerably.

My main worry is one of superstition: the first game in every Musou spin-off series is usually pretty bad and then that stuff gets cleaned up in the second game to make for a nice package. We'll see if Zelda can buck that trend.

Clunker

I don't know why people are worried about the potential quality of the game.

Nintendo are known for keeping collaborators on a fucking tight leash, and this is Zelda.
You could have used the same logic to predict that Metroid: Other M would be fantastic and amazing. That was Metroid, after all, and it was still abysmal - both as a Metroid game and as a general third-person action title from Team Ninja.

There are a number of posters who repeat things like "NPD just came out, they couldn't make new games in a week," who are either ignorant or purposefully ignoring how badly the WiiU has been doing since about launch. For example the post under yours.

Games take longer than a year, especially when the vast majority of your teams are already making games in established series for your two (2) hardware platforms.

Tom_Cody

This isn't being developed by Nintendo so it has no affect on Zelda U development. Theres nothing to say that both cant be released this year.
I fully believe that this means that the mainline Zelda is not coming this year. Or, if it is, I take this a signal that it is going to have a radically different art style.

IvorB

Lots of positive reaction towards this game, but I think it looks awful - real awful.

Seems Nintendo is trying to appease Zelda fans who are asking where Wii U Zelda is, and this seems like a cheap way out.

It looks like a Dynasty Warriors game that was in development for Wii U that Nintendo slapped a Zelda skin on. Combat looks OK, but the environments are bland, the enemies are boring, and just because Nintendo tossed in a mini-boss or two doesn't make up for how mind numbingly stupid this looks.

After playing A Link Between Worlds and loving everything moment of it, this looks like a cheap cash in on the Zelda name. A Link Between Worlds felt like it was developed with care. Every nuance of the game, every environment, every dungeon, all of it. It felt like Zelda and bled charm.

This looks like a stop-gap Zelda game that'll get average reviews and ultimately be remembered as a failure among Nintendo fans. I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot poll, and it's shocking to me with how boring the game looked that people are reacting positively.

Here's the gameplay for you: memorize your favorite button combo for 'slash-slash-lift-AOE attack' and repeat. Face mini-boss (who's just an average enemy in every other Zelda game), clear the stage and get a grade. Rinse and repeat.

I'm honestly shocked people are reacting positively to this, because the Dynasty Warriors games are average at best, and the footage Nintendo showed today did nothing to assure me this will be different than any other Dynasty Warriors game. Repetitive enemies (but there's lots on screen!!!!!!!!11!!1!11!!), predictable mini-bosses, and really awful looking environments (but gaiz, there's Hyrule Castle. DO YOU SEE IT!?!!?/!1/!!?)

It looks pretty desperate to me. I can't believe Nintendo are pimping out their IP to make an average-looking Dynasty Warriors rip off. I least they are trying I guess...

It was surprisingly well polished/optimized I felt. The maps presented some environmental gimmicks that kept gameplay interesting. Slightly on the simple side for fans of the SRPG genre, but it was stimulating enough.

Eh, I love pokemon and most of the spinoffs, but having played a good number of SRPGs, the gameplay was too simple. It just felt like pokemon on a map with one move. The trainer/lord/owner abilities weren't all that compelling to use. But I loved the setting and the idea behind it, the gameplay was just too shallow for me

Abdiel

It's my third or fourth favorite game... It has better replayability than OoT.

Of course, I also count Wind Waker and Majora's Mask as my favorites in the series. I like good story and ambience in my Zelda games, Twilight Princess had it in spades.

So, I'm down for this Musou if it has a good story.

Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, in that order. Twilight princess had some interesting ideas, but they all got ruined by poor design choices. The area warping allows you to skip ever really roaming the field, and splitting it up into uninteresting chunks made it even less of a reason to really explore. The wolf firm sections were ruined by the fact that it only happened when it was time to hunt the stupid light bugs...

I just felt the whole game was really bland, like it was going through the motions of what was expected of a Zelda title. The dungeons are really forgettable, very little impact. I really wanted to like it, but it left me deflated.

Green Yoshi

Every-time-I-open-the-fridge..gif

I hope it will be better than expected.

Christhor

Now this is how to handle the Zelda franchise. Zelda has such potential in so many genres, it baffles me that they still haven't expanded it into a full on RPG, for example.

This looks.... stupid, in my opinion. Is this the "next" zelda? Glad I didn't jump into the Wii U boat.

"Next" as in, will it be the next Zelda game released? Possibly. But I assure you this isn't replacing the Wii U's traditional Zelda. At least, I cannot believe they'd possibly do that.

NeonZ

Why wasn't this a New Murasame Castle? Nintendo has fucking lost their minds.

But they've already done that? Samurai Warriors 3 had a game mode with its own stage mechanics that was basically a sequel to Murasame Castle with the musou engine. It wasn't popular.

This looks.... stupid, in my opinion. Is this the "next" zelda? Glad I didn't jump into the Wii U boat.

Im assuming you didn't even bother to read and are here with a drive by post like most people? Its a spin off cross over with the Dynasty Warrior series developed by Temco. Not affect on Zelda U which is still full steam ahead with Aonuma's team.

Lots of positive reaction towards this game, but I think it looks awful - real awful.

Seems Nintendo is trying to appease Zelda fans who are asking where Wii U Zelda is, and this seems like a cheap way out.

It looks like a Dynasty Warriors game that was in development for Wii U that Nintendo slapped a Zelda skin on. Combat looks OK, but the environments are bland, the enemies are boring, and just because Nintendo tossed in a mini-boss or two doesn't make up for how mind numbingly stupid this looks.

After playing A Link Between Worlds and loving everything moment of it, this looks like a cheap cash in on the Zelda name. A Link Between Worlds felt like it was developed with care. Every nuance of the game, every environment, every dungeon, all of it. It felt like Zelda and bled charm.

This looks like a stop-gap Zelda game that'll get average reviews and ultimately be remembered as a failure among Nintendo fans. I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot poll, and it's shocking to me with how boring the game looked that people are reacting positively.

Here's the gameplay for you: memorize your favorite button combo for 'slash-slash-lift-AOE attack' and repeat. Face mini-boss (who's just an average enemy in every other Zelda game), clear the stage and get a grade. Rinse and repeat.

I'm honestly shocked people are reacting positively to this, because the Dynasty Warriors games are average at best, and the footage Nintendo showed today did nothing to assure me this will be different than any other Dynasty Warriors game. Repetitive enemies (but there's lots on screen!!!!!!!!11!!1!11!!), predictable mini-bosses, and really awful looking environments (but gaiz, there's Hyrule Castle. DO YOU SEE IT!?!!?/!1/!!?)

You mirror my thoughts of this actually. IMO this is kind of sad seeing this type of stuff from nintendo. First cranky kong and now this
flabbynsick.png

SmithnCo

Hopefully the enemies will actually attack you instead of standing around.

But I like the design. Nice to see what looks like HD King Dodongo.

Interesting, bold, slightly odd, yet the mash-up makes sense. This is a game that will appeal to both Japan and NA in a big way. The naysayers on GAF are gonna do what they do best, but I think this game is going to payoff, and it's only a spinoff so it's not like they're going all in with it. It really can't lose, well done Nintendo.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
I fully believe that this means that the mainline Zelda is not coming this year. Or, if it is, I take this a signal that it is going to have a radically different art style.

Has Nintendo ever revealed a mainline Zelda and released it in the same year? I can't remember, but seems unlikely.

Terra

I´m glad for the reactions. But for me this isn´t of interest. I´ve had my share of hack ´n slash on the PS2 =).

Not that it won´t change the situation that the Wii U is in. But glad that people seem to like it.

Tygamr

Looks cool, but I can't get over the fact that it mashes up a bunch of different art styles. It uses some enemy designs from Skyward Sword, some Ocarina of Time, and some from Twilight Princess. The Link design is based on Twilight Princess. The environments are based on either Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time.... Really just annoys me that they aren't maintaining any sort of consistency.

Ricky 7

someone tell Squall that Link stole his special attack.

I'm guessing you've Never played a Zelda game?

OT: I'm not sure how to feel about this game, Dynasty Warrior type of games are usually pretty shallow and get boring relatively quickly. Maybe if they add some sort of local co-op involving the gamepad and TV for split screen I might be interested.

Lautaro

So it's an Alpha, right?

That's why the enemies act like dummies and the graphics lack polishing, I imagine.

Still sweet to see Link kicking so much ass.

AniHawk

wait so they spent the last three years making this what happened to the tech demo they showe d at e3 i cant believe this is the new zelda

sensui-tomo

I'm guessing you've Never played a Zelda game?

OT: I'm not sure how to feel about this game, Dynasty Warrior type of games are usually pretty shallow and get boring relatively quickly. Maybe if they add some sort of local co-op involving the gamepad and TV for split screen I might be interested.

just wondering, what was the last DW game you played? since every dw game after 6 was better than the originals.

Just finished the Direct. WTF!?!? Not the game announcement I was expecting. A Dynasty Warriors with Zelda wrapping paper? I dunno...

Have they decided to full-on whore out the Zelda license now?

Top Bottom