• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors (Zelda Musou) (Zelda Dynasty Warriors) announced

KoopaTheCasual

People seem pretty split on this. A lot of people are super hyped, and others are crying murder. Count me in as excited. I guess this is to hold us over for Zelda U, which I'm guess is given a break to come in 2015. Good plan. Keeps the Zelda fans happy, and gives them enough time to fully cook up the next Zelda mainline.

I'll give this a shot, when I pick up a Wii U in the tail end of 2014.

AGoodODST

Strange concept :p But hey, it's got my interest and I ain't really interested in the genre.

Hopefully the graphics get an upgrade as it isn't looking to hot, I do like the colours though and Link's design looks pretty nice.

I think it's a good idea for Nintendo to use it's established brands to promote new genres on their platform. Whether it has any great success remains to be seen. Probably a better idea to use Zelda than an original IP because that would just suffer the same fate as W101. With Zelda it at least has a slim chance.

whitehawk

Banned
That looked pretty bad to me. Dynasty Warriors isn't a very good franchise, I'm surprised Nintendo would sell out one of it's most valuable franchises to a third party.

sensui-tomo

This is so terrible.... SMH Ninty

You'll take one of the most beloved franchises and ruin it with Dynasty Warriors crap, yet you won't bring games to the more popular consoles

Expecting to sell 150 copies??? I wish you great success

sounds like someone hasnt played DW series lately and doesnt know how well it sells in japan. Seriously if the game was crap why has it lasted this long?

Jarate

Banned
Call me a skeptic, but this looks like a blatant attempt to squeeze a quick buck using the Zelda name. The game was probably dirt-cheap to develop, and based on its presentation they probably only expect it to sell in Japan. It's the modern day equivalent of slapping Mickey Mouse on a lunchbox. Nintendo should try something other than gouging their inelastic market, otherwise known as "going to the well."

Because the Zelda animated show never existed, it's not like Nintendo hasn't done this with their other properties!

ZELDA IS TO SACRED EVEN THOUGH A TON OF SHITTY ZELDA PRODUCTS EXISTED IN THE PAST, LET'S IGNORE THEM AND JUST GET ANGRY AT A VIDEO GAME THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT TO PLAY

oatmeal

Banned
As someone who collects all types of Zelda stuff and buys all Zelda games, I am planning on fully ignoring this things existence.

Mecha

I'll try not to judge the game as this seems to be an early build.

because the series is fun

it's not a fighting game. it's a hack and slash.

you want a shallow hack and slash? fucking play Basara

This is a joke, right? Basara is leagues deeper than Koei's offerings.

Mariolee

Where is this idea coming from that Zelda is this pure brand that has never had any dodgy spin-offs

I mean, aside from the internet's collective ass, anyway

I have...

lbt.jpg

no idea....

Tingle's_Balloon_Fight_DS_cover.jpg

what...

23b481b0c8a066cae072d110.L.jpg

you're talking about...

bad-zelda.jpg

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I can't believe how bad this game looks. For example: all the particle effects are done with standard colored circles and stripes. At least Nintendo creates hand drawn particles.

Colors, environments, camera movement.. It all screams: NOT WORTHY OF THE FRANCHISE.

sensui-tomo

That looked pretty bad to me. Dynasty Warriors isn't a very good franchise, I'm surprised Nintendo would sell out one of it's most valuable franchises to a third party.

Its good enough to be on its 8th literation, 4th on the samurai series and 3rd on the Warriors orochi series, 4th in gundam, and they have worked with tecmo-koei on other games too , Pokemon conquest... seriously DW isnt bad, its the 3D version of old side scrolling beat em ups.

cafemomo

Koei and Nintendo presents:
2014 year of the musuo.

Romance of the three mushrooms
Luigi Orochi: War at the mansion
Fist of the Mushroom: Mario's Rage
Xtreme Mario

Pretty sure Mario Kart is their most valuable franchise. I think the last few Zelda's underperformed.

Mariolee

I'll rent it first, but this could be pretty neat if they make this based around one of the various wars in the canon.

Too bad it can't take place during the Imprisoning War since official canon states Link wasn't around, because a game like this is how I've always fantasized the Imprisoning War. :(

I can't believe how bad this game looks. For example: all the particle effects are done with standard colored circles and stripes. At least Nintendo creates hand drawn particles.

Colors, environments, camera movement.. It all screams: NOT WORTHY OF THE FRANCHISE.

God. I've been playing Zelda since I was 6 with Zelda 1....I am so tired of graphical elitists surrounding this franchise. This franchise was not built on graphics. It was built on discovery, and fun.

Because the Zelda animated show never existed, it's not like Nintendo hasn't done this with their other properties!

ZELDA IS TO SACRED EVEN THOUGH A TON OF SHITTY ZELDA PRODUCTS EXISTED IN THE PAST, LET'S IGNORE THEM AND JUST GET ANGRY AT A VIDEO GAME THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT TO PLAY

You just proved my point. I know they have a history of this, and I think they should stop doing it and be more creative. Seriously - if Zelda wasn't associated with this game, would you buy it?

CamHostage

How many exact copies of 1 enemy can you show in 1 trailer?

Yeah, hopefully there's something they can do about this as it develops further because I don't think any iteration of Musou/Warriors has highlighted the limitations of the engine so harshly as these Hyrule Warriors screens. For some reason, the repeating enemies here really stick out (I would have thought that'd be more a problem for some of the realistic characters in other games but they're meant to be faceless there, here they are specific designs that you notice) and make it look immediately dated.

CorvoSol

You just proved my point. I know they have a history of this, and I think they should stop doing it and be more creative. Seriously - if Zelda wasn't associated with this game, would you buy it?

Yes? People have been playing Dynasty warriors without Gundam or Zelda attached for years.

izzyizzyizzy

Neo Member
Not day one for me but I foresee me owning it down the road.

It was a very drastic way to start this Direct. I turned it on expecting Donkey Kong for 20 minutes and was not mentally prepared to soak this in.

sensui-tomo

This isn't the big Wii U Zelda we've been waiting for, right? This is just some side thing?
No this is a side game made by Tecmo-Koei
Well to be fair, the first Fist of the North Star game really wasn't that good.
funny the guy doesnt post Gundam musou or one piece musou which are leagues better than FOTNS musou... although that and troy warriors were the only bad musou games(besides dw6) that i've played

Top Bottom