• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’d Like to Apologize to NeoGAF, Give a Special Thank You and LTTPs too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensui-tomo

Ok, read until P3 spoilers (haven't played it myself so I don't want spoilers), but wait wha... HolyBaikal's banned!? And permanently!? How? She's one of the nicest posters of all GAF and wouldn't harm a fly. How did she get banned?

Argued with evilore about something about a woman being as capable as a man in sports denying scieince or something, oh and quoting Ranma 1/2 as her rebuttal.

Arcadius

Banned
Ok, read until P3 spoilers (haven't played it myself so I don't want spoilers), but wait wha... HolyBaikal's banned!? And permanently!? How? She's one of the nicest posters of all GAF and wouldn't harm a fly. How did she get banned?

An argument with EviLore over athletics of how females can be just as or better than their male counterparts.

HolyBaikal likes Tales games right?

Then I guess I already am a little HolyBaikal =P

Anyway, fun thread. My opinion on Persona 1 and 2 is that people should absolutely play it... if you can deal with the poorly aged systems and gameplay.

Yeah Holy loves Tales of Games, with Symphonia being HolyBaikal's favorite. Thanks for the recommendations on the Persona 1 and 2. If the stories are worth it, I will give them a try, just need to find a copy of them.

I just wanna jump in and say Persona 3 is a gr8 game and Ranma 1/2 was the first anime I ever watched back in elementary school and it was the first time I jacked off. Kinda sad but I was in 6th grade so whatever. Great anime btw.

Just to clarify you busted your first nut to Ranma1/2?

lurch-head-shake-o.gif

HolyBaikal got permanently banned? I wasn't even aware of this news...

To be honest, I really think HolyBaikal's a pretty decent person to have around. From what few I have seen of him/her in the threads that I do actually participate in, I find him/her to be someone that I could probably easily strike up a nice conversation with. Never found anything malicious from him/her, really. I do also respect his/her opinions on a bunch of things, and some things we might disagree on, but I guess it wouldn't be life without some disagreements from time to time, no? That, and the disagreements are understandable. It actually feels a bit...enlightening when you get to know what other people think of something, even if it might seem to be wrong.

Like the OP, I'd probably be really, really relieved if HB could get back here in one piece. Even if one had to set some threads to disallow posting by HB specifically if he/she really was a problem in certain threads, I'd suspect I'll welcome him/her in other parts.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Thanks, will keep them in mind, heard of them, never looked them up or anything.

Earthbound was the first RPG I ever played back when I was 10, so it probably shapes a lot of how I feel about the genre. The storytelling in it is great and it feels like such a big adventure.

Maybe in a way I get cramped inside the school in P3.

Remark

Banned
Just to clarify you busted your first nut to Ranma1/2?

lurch-head-shake-o.gif

1 dimensional is definitely not how I would describe P3 characters. Their motivations and character development is top notch compared to most other RPGs.

And for TWEWY yes, did you get to the second partner?

uhhh

Good times.

I don't even know how it happened but it just like did idk. It was a weird time in my life when I really started to get into anime.

Alo0oy

Banned
Reading this thread, I just realized that when posters say X is their waifu, they're serious & it's not tongue-in-cheek, which is blowing my mind right now.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm glad you found your calling OP, but I gotta ask, are you in love with HolyBikai? Serious question.

Arcadius

Banned
HolyBaikal got permanently banned? I wasn't even aware of this news...

To be honest, I really think HolyBaikal's a pretty decent person to have around. From what few I have seen of him/her in the threads that I do actually participate in, I find him/her to be someone that I could probably easily strike up a nice conversation with. Never found anything malicious from him/her, really. I do also respect his/her opinions on a bunch of things, and some things we might disagree on, but I guess it wouldn't be life without some disagreements from time to time, no? That, and the disagreements are understandable. It actually feels a bit...enlightening when you get to know what other people think of something, even if it might seem to be wrong.

Like the OP, I'd probably be really, really relieved if HB could get back here in one piece. Even if one had to set some threads to disallow posting by HB specifically if he/she really was a problem in certain threads, I'd suspect I'll welcome him/her in other parts.

That was really sweet of you to share, thanks for doing so.
Reading this thread, I just realized that when posters say X is their waifu, they're serious & it's not tongue-in-cheek, which is blowing my mind right now.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm glad you found your calling OP, but I gotta ask, are you in love with HolyBikai? Serious question.

I don't believe I am; for some reason, the way Holy did things on the forum just called out to me. I've never been so drawn before, the posts were lighthearted, simple in tone and I feel, always genuine. Not many people are like that, anywhere, so reading that was essentially life-changing. I don't think I can love Holy, I've never talked to Holy, aside from a worrying PM I sent, it's more like, a deeper understanding of why and how, so I came to believe I needed such an awakening.

I don't particularly care one way or the other about this Holy person but I do like the idea of GAF creating a tradition to resurrect one banned member each year on Easter. You know GAF would love it and get really into it every year. I can already imagine the gifs and images. The suspense as the mods deliberate... DO IT GAF!!!

Vylash

I don't particularly care one way or the other about this Holy person but I do like the idea of GAF creating a tradition to resurrect one banned member each year on Easter. You know GAF would love it each year and get really into it. I can already imagine the gifs and images. The suspense as the mods deliberate... DO IT GAF!!!

let's do it #WeWantHolyBaikal

Arcadius

Banned
I don't particularly care one way or the other about this Holy person but I do like the idea of GAF creating a tradition to resurrect one banned member each year on Easter. You know GAF would love it each year and get really into it. I can already imagine the gifs and images. The suspense as the mods deliberate... DO IT GAF!!!

That actually sounds really nice, great idea! =)

I don't particularly care one way or the other about this Holy person but I do like the idea of GAF creating a tradition to resurrect one banned member each year on Easter. You know GAF would love it and get really into it every year. I can already imagine the gifs and images. The suspense as the mods deliberate... DO IT GAF!!!
HolyBaikal is the Second Coming.

But then we face the awkward moment when we learn HolyBaikal and Derrick are actually the same person.

Sometimes you should just let things be.

DarkFlow

Banned

That would be great, but we should at least do it for someone that wouldn't be banned again 2 weeks later.

Arcadius

Banned
Ha, thanks for that.

I read the whole OP. Can't really comment too much. I remember Holy Baikal and it's sad when most people get permabanned, especially for stupid arguments with mods. That said, I mostly felt like he was kind of off topic and spouting nonsense more often than not. I think there should be a fine, fine line between appreciating what Holy might have "stood" for and emulating his behavior.

More importantly, it's nice when people are able to overcome their prejudices and find new media, opinions, friends, etc.

Can't (won't?) recommend any moe or NISA stuff besides maybe Disgaea, but that's more for gameplay and not cuteness. It does have some weird stuff in there and can give the OPa chance to level up moe appreciation to DFC. Strongly recommend against that though.

Don't know of any moe VNs. As for VNs in general, I enjoyed quite a few DS ones: Ace Attorney, 999, Ghost Trick. No waifus. For adult stuff, I've only ever played through a few Mirror Moon games: Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night. Pulp anime stories which are fun if you like that kind of thing. You could probably find some waifus there but i wouldn't call either one cutesy.

Persona. OP will almost definitely like 4. 1 is not a bad game, but it's a very different game from FES. First person dungeon crawling. Not terrible dungeons. No waifus, story is passable, maybe hard to follow. There are worse JRPGs recommended to people regularly. If you're ever on the verge if buying some questionable looking Vita JRPG because of Gaf, just buy Persona 1 instead and thank me later.

Persona 2 is one I hear a lot of praise for but the slow, slow, slow battle system and demon navigation really makes the game a chore for me. Outside of battle, what I have played has been interesting and the duology is supposed to have a decent story. Can probably get IS pretty cheap on sale. Again, no explicit waifu system.

I think that was most of the questions.

No idea how I missed this post, thread moved too fast for me to keep up with, thanks for breaking down my questions, really appreciate it. I will look into everything you mentioned, thanks again.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I...sort of agree.

Me and Holy definitely butted heads. For example, she seemed really upset with my "I'm confused by moe thread" and apparently I ruined her Christmas because of it. I still think parts of her personality were fake as fuck...the stupid stuttering she did all the time just isn't something someone does when they're typing unless they're sitting on a washing machine or something. And I think while she was legitimately a sensitive person, she started to play it up more and more as time went on when she realized it was a character that people liked to respond to.

At the same time, she was the only member I followed. I'd always check her posts each day to see what she had to say. In truth, this was probably because I enjoyed the fireworks whenever she posted, but also because I found her opinions interesting. Often, I felt she actually had really progressive ideas, and perhaps it was our fault for not being as progressive as she was, and I felt guilty sometimes that so many people jumped on her. Even the thread that got her banned, I thought she raised an interesting point, just in a poor way. But I understand that her existence seemed to derail threads, and from a logical standpoint, banning her was the best option over banning everyone else.

On a personal note, sometimes I wondered if people were a bit transphobic towards her. I guess the issue was for me is that I have nothing against people who identify as women, because I definitely have those feelings and can relate immensely to how Baikal must feel. Sometimes I wish I could be as open as she was in that regard. But at the same time, I also felt a bit weirded out by the fact that she specifically wanted to be a little anime girl, in other words she acted like how Japanese men think little girls act. I feel guilty for thinking that odd, but...tell me GAF, do you think that makes me a bigot? I mean, Holy was so childish often that it made talking to her basically impossible, or frustrating, and it seems like she acted that way completely on purpose and I definitely think she was far more socially capable than she let on. Sometimes I felt she was quite rude and insulting to everyone when we tried to have a decent discussion with her, but she seemed to just pull her shtick and mock us. :/

Still though, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want her back.

That was really sweet of you to share, thanks for doing so.

No problem :)

Speaking of HB, I tend to be a total lurker when it comes to most threads, preferring to only read and not write a thing about anything. I tend to stick with a select few community threads when it comes to posting stuff. I really like the feel of a close-knit community, and I'd do everything I could to make HB feel at home in these threads. Think of me as...well, someone that you can always talk to if need be.

I believe that bans should, ideally, be only handed out to people that really needs some time out in the forums, and there shouldn't be any form of permanent bans for anything other than spam accounts and "sockpuppets". Normal members should be always allowed a chance to get back. I'm sure that there'll be a bunch of people that are going to disagree with me on this part, but so be it. Not everyone shares the same opinion, and I'm well aware of that at this point.

Also, seeing HB's posts almost always give me a smile, and make my heart a bit...more relaxed, in a good way. He/she's the thing that NeoGAF needs, for better of worse, even if people might not realize it. I think a lot of bad things happen when you can't agree to something and come to a compromise without making all parties involved feel bad.

Jachaos

YES!!!! I love this song, I love the guitar that hits in the middle of the song too. Man oh man, Persona really is amazing. No one ever answered the question, but I guess I should go to Amazon to get the OST?

I guess? The OST seems to be available all over the place so I guess it depends on shipping options and whether you want Digital or used physical or whatever. There's some nice covers of the soundtrack on Youtube too. Like this one and this one on piano. And this one on guitar.

I just wanna jump in and say Persona 3 is a gr8 game and Ranma 1/2 was the first anime I ever watched back in elementary school and it was the first time I jacked off. Kinda sad but I was in 6th grade so whatever. Great anime btw.

Stay loose, man.

This thread is a rollercoaster.

Arcadius

Banned
I...sort of agree.

Me and Holy definitely butted heads. For example, she seemed really upset with my "I'm confused by moe thread" and apparently I ruined her Christmas because of it. I still think parts of her personality were fake as fuck...the stupid stuttering she did all the time just isn't something someone does when they're typing unless they're sitting on a washing machine or something. And I think while she was legitimately a sensitive person, she started to play it up more and more as time went on when she realized it was a character that people liked to respond to.

At the same time, she was the only member I followed. I'd always check her posts each day to see what she had to say. In truth, this was probably because I enjoyed the fireworks whenever she posted, but also because I found her opinions interesting. Often, I felt she actually had really progressive ideas, and perhaps it was our fault for not being as progressive as she was, and I felt guilty sometimes that so many people jumped on her. Even the thread that got her banned, I thought she raised an interesting point, just in a poor way. But I understand that her existence seemed to derail threads, and from a logical standpoint, banning her was the best option over banning everyone else.

On a personal note, sometimes I wondered if people were a bit transphobic towards her. I guess the issue was for me is that I have nothing against people who identify as women, because I definitely have those feelings and can relate immensely to how Baikal must feel. Sometimes I wish I could be as open as she was in that regard. But at the same time, I also felt a bit weirded out by the fact that she specifically wanted to be a little anime girl, in other words she acted like how Japanese men think little girls act. I feel guilty for thinking that odd, but...tell me GAF, do you think that makes me a bigot? I mean, Holy was so childish often that it made talking to her basically impossible, or frustrating, and it seems like she acted that way completely on purpose and I definitely think she was far more socially capable than she let on. Sometimes I felt she was quite rude and insulting to everyone when we tried to have a decent discussion with her, but she seemed to just pull her shtick and mock us. :/

Still though, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want her back.

I'd like to believe Holy is one of the more genuine people on GAF, even if the personality and style of writing is hard to wrap ones head around, but I think that's the charm of Holy.

For your difficult question, are you a bigot? I don't think so, it'd be wrong of me or anyone else to assume that it is easy to digest HolyBaikals way of wanting to live or wanting to be seen, I mentioned that I understand it was hard to talk with Holy because of her views or way she spoke to others, but I sort of liked it. The determination and wanting to be something so badly, it's very admirable. I just hope people didn't act transphobic towards Holy, that'd be awful, especially for something so hard to come open about. I will forever appreciate HolyBaikal, even if it makes me look crazy, like today.

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't believe I am; for some reason, the way Holy did things on the forum just called out to me. I've never been so drawn before, the posts were lighthearted, simple in tone and I feel, always genuine. Not many people are like that, anywhere, so reading that was essentially life-changing. I don't think I can love Holy, I've never talked to Holy, aside from a worrying PM I sent, it's more like, a deeper understanding of why and how, so I came to believe I needed such an awakening.

Sounds like you're conflicted, it's okay man, maybe you're not in love with her, but you clearly have feelings for her, she opened you up to something that you never thought you'd enjoy.

It's okay to admit that you have feelings for her, don't let some posters heckle you into keeping things bottled up.

Arcadius

Banned
Had my attention with the title, then I started to scroll

ZTg6yM8.gif

Are the one crying or looking at the crying lady with a weird look?

Also, Cute cat marching video is pretty amazing.

Sounds like you're conflicted, it's okay man, maybe you're not in love with her, but you clearly have feelings for her, she opened you up to something that you never thought you'd enjoy.

It's okay to admit that you have feelings for her, don't let some posters heckle you into keeping things bottled up.

You're probably right, I don't know why I'm so nervous of just saying "yeah".

I only read TLDR, but good on you OP. It's nice to appreciate and be appreciated.

Thanks for this, glad you read a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom