• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am addicted to Spelunky!

haha right, I forgot about the camera flash.

Any tips for Hell runs? I've been having a lot of trouble even getting enough gold for the ankh, probably because I keep buying the cape and spring shoes. Maybe I need to practice my shopkeep slaughtering skills a little more.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
haha right, I forgot about the camera flash.

Any tips for Hell runs? I've been having a lot of trouble even getting enough gold for the ankh, probably because I keep buying the cape and spring shoes. Maybe I need to practice my shopkeep slaughtering skills a little more.
Yes. Practice killing them. Even if you hold off until the Black Market to do it in a normal run. Robbing the Black Market is like a ballet. An ultra-bloody explosion-filled ballet of awesomeness. If done right, it's the most fun ever. If done wrong, well...

One tip I'd have is don't even bother if you don't have a lot of bombs and the shops don't at least have a few boxes of them. It's only really worth it if you can load up on explosives.

Then again, it's your time. Play it how you like. I usually decide whether to rob a shop on a whim. I don't go into the game thinking I'm going to do it. But if I need to, I will. If I hadn't had enough money by the BM today I would have robbed it. I did a once-over to see what they had and decided not to. I already had a jetpack and 80,000 at that point. (Mattock in Mines) There was nothing much else to steal so I bought my Ankh, my box of bombs and some other stuff and left. In another situation I might see something I must have and know I don't have enough for it all so I might just take them all out. I'm getting pretty good at clearing out a Black Market.

Does it have any extra unused buttons to spare? I am guessing no. Maybe they could use the LT since it's only used when you need to use a door or talk to someone. Though there would be that one time you want to throw a gun and are standing in front of the door though that would be silly as you'd just exit and end up not getting hurt anyway, but inconvenient if you meant to keep playing the level. I've never counted the number of buttons on a Vita as I don't have one. (I wish they could put Spelunky on the original PSP-1000. Then maybe I'd get some use out of mine.)

The Vita has pretty much the exact same buttons as a PS3, only no triggers (only bumpers) and the analog sticks are not clickable (for some obscure reason). The right analog is entirely unused, so that might work. There's also the front and back touchpads.

Also, the difference with Bowser is he didn't make Goombas and Koopa Troopas appear when he stomped down.

There are quite a lot of differences with Bowser, primarily that he hovered for a bit before stomping, making dodging him much easier, and he didn't insta-kill you if he landed on you. :) (although this being SMB3, you had two hits at most). He also breathed fire, but it definitely did not make it up for those two nor Olmec being at the end of a very intense, no-retries game.

I just got to 4-2 with 13 hearts and ended up dying by the end of the level to a shopkeeper in front of the exit after I lost my shotgun and had few bombs. But hey, at least I got my win for tonight. Also I fucked up the Daily as usual. I've only ever won on a Daily once.

I hate it when I lose my shotgun after killing shopkeepers. :p
I just re-read that sentence and it doesn't sound too good out of context...

Also, seeing this picture made me realise that I'd absolutely love a mod to zoom out into the levels a la Harmony of Despair. Obvious balance issues aside, am I the only one that thinks the levels look beautiful in a full view?

You're not the only one, that's awesome. But I have a weird videogame map fetish, so take that as you will.
(this reminds me it's been months since I last browsed VGMaps!)

Murrah

Banned
Really fun PC daily today

Had to get through pretty much the entire game with bombs in the single digits; entering 5-4 I only had 1 bomb left hahahah. Never gotten through hell with such a low amount before. Also at least four jetpacks available that I saw throughout the seed, including one buried in a wall in one of the temple levels, really nuts

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Really fun PC daily today

Had to get through pretty much the entire game with bombs in the single digits; entering 5-4 I only had 1 bomb left hahahah. Never gotten through hell with such a low amount before. Also at least four jetpacks available that I saw throughout the seed, including one buried in a wall in one of the temple levels, really nuts

Yeah, one in a shop in the mines, one in the black market, an alien in 3-1 or 3-2, then the one in the wall in the Temple. Still managed to die on 5-2 though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Four Jetpacks, eh? Awesome. I look forward to totally fucking up the run anyway.

lol

Or maybe I'll actually beat Hell on a Daily for once.

Ooohh...

Nah. I'll probably fuck it up again.

cakely

So, uh, I asked here about the Playstation 3 High Score leaderboards and why I wasn't showing up. It was pretty simple ... there's only room for 10k scores on the leaderboards and the bottom score was about $75k.

I'm on them now, with an $85k run. There was no bug I just had to suck slightly less.

Speaking of which, I've gotten to the ice caves about five times and I've yet to reach 3-2. That level is a whole new level of difficult.

Speaking of which, I've gotten to the ice caves about five times and I've yet to reach 3-2. That level is a whole new level of difficult.

You'll get used to it soon enough, it's the easiest of the worlds. But buy spike shoes whenever you see the chance, they stop you slipping on ice.

Kerned

Banned
So, uh, I asked here about the Playstation 3 High Score leaderboards and why I wasn't showing up. It was pretty simple ... there's only room for 10k scores on the leaderboards and the bottom score was about $75k.

I'm on them now, with an $85k run. There was no bug I just had to suck slightly less.

Congrats on the progress! The good news about the ice caves is that once you get the hang of it, it's actually the easiest area in the game.

Murrah

Banned
Finally fulfilled my destiny of being a huge dumb nerd and bought a Vita today with playing Spelunky being the main impetus. Aside from my PC it's the first non-Nintendo gaming hardware I've bought since the PS2. 140 hours on PC version just wasn't enough; Vita dpad just feels so good I can't help myself

On my first run through I got the trophy for filling up 50% of the journal before I even reached the temple hahahahha. Playing Spelunky in bed while watching Netflix is going to be the best thing that ever happened to my life

cakely

You'll get used to it soon enough, it's the easiest of the worlds. But buy spike shoes whenever you see the chance, they stop you slipping on ice.

I usually pick them up when I see them, just for the extra stomp damage. I had no idea they helped with ice, but like everything else in this game, that makes perfect sense.

I should not be allowed to have a mattock. I do stupid things just to dig up gems like nothing else matters. Like, ooh is that a sapphire? Oh shit, I have 1 health and that shopkeeper wasn't too happy I dug up his free money.

toff74

So all hyped about the daily, hearing about the jetpacks and all. I think it was 1-2 when there was a knock on the door. Casually got up and answered it.

A few minutes later i get back to my PC only to see the ghost about to consume me..... AARRGFGH!!!

THE PC ISN'T THE 360 WHERE YOU CAN PAUSE WITH A PRESS ON THE MIDDLE BUTTON!!

Oh well! There's always tomorrow.

toff74

Why didn't you use the actual pause button?

i use a wireless pad and a laptop hooked up to the tv. Getting to to the laptop before the front door then finding a pause button just didn't cross my mind.

been a console gamer since N64. Not used to using pc for gaming (or just lazy!).

ill know for futur.. And I'm not coming last on my leaderboard tomorrow!!!

I've got to hell about 6 times now, Yama once, just clocked past the 80 hour play time according to Steam.

It's coming, I can feel it, and I can't wait to do it because my Spelunky obsession means I'm ignoring all other games.

Yama, you're going down, son. All I need is a good seed with a jetpack and lots of bomb boxes. No bombs = guaranteed fail for me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Beat Olmec on today's Daily Challenge. Once again after a stupid death in the Ice Caves in the level before the Moai head. It's literally the worst way I ever destroy my chance to go to Hell.

Oh well. At least I beat Olmec as usual. Had a cape and gloves this time and a bunch of bombs so I was able to do some damage. No high score or anything and was 5 minutes over my best time. (Of 33:33. I really need to work on that. I spend way too much time in the Mines.)

Got my first plasma cannon from the alien queen and I forgot about the second overlord. Just no time to appreciate the little things anymore.

Also, killing shopkeepers is awesome.

Kerned

Banned
Beat Olmec on today's Daily Challenge. Once again after a stupid death in the Ice Caves in the level before the Moai head. It's literally the worst way I ever destroy my chance to go to Hell.

This is the story of my Spelunky life. I've never managed to make it to Hell because I always seem to fuck up on the level before the Moai head. I do make it to the City of Gold from time to time, but the few times I have managed to snag the Necronomicon things end up going poorly in some other way.

sikkinixx

Finally beat Yama on the run after my daily. Was so easy! Got plenty of bombs early which lasted me through 4-4 and made it through hell with 1 bomb but the only tense moment involved the angry shop keeper and 6 swinging spiked balls. Having a shotgun and jet pack throughout was basically a necessity. Got hit by falling skulls on Yama but got extremely lucky to fall onto piece sticking out so I didn't get battered more.

Few games later I beat Olmec but finally cleared out the mothership and got the plasma cannon. Wow that makes the temple so fucking easy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh god. This gets better and better all the time.

Just did today's Daily Challenge. Got all the way to Hell. Had so much fun. Died to the Succubus on 5-2. But it was worth it. Didn't beat my high score though. Would have had over 400,000 if I had beaten Yama. So I finished with just over 310,000. Oh well.

No sacrificing was done. No Kapala. This time I remembered the Book of the Dead. Had enough items after robbing the Black Market. Found a Mattock in Olmec's lair which I used to dig the hole instead of wasting bombs. That was a nice bonus.

I got the Cassanova achievement accidentally by saving the Damsel in the first Hell level. Killed Vlad and got his entry. Got killed by and killed a Succubus (Though I think she killed me first so I don't know if I got the point for killing her after I died. She fell on spikes. And I wasn't even going after her. I was escaping from a fucking IMP!) and added her to the Journal too. I only have like so few things left now. That damn Old Bitey and a Devil are literally all I have left in my Journal. That's it! The Devil will be hard because I need to get to Hell first and I can't just do a death run to get it. I need to do it when I'm actually in Hell. Old Bitey will be easier but I've had a lot of trouble with getting through the Piranha first so it'll be fun getting those last two things.

After that all I have is 5 Achievements left. Big Money which should happen in time if I do some Ghosting next time I do a Hell run. Speedlunky which I need to focus on eventually. Seen it All which will happen when I find that fish and devil. Low Scorer... I think I'l try that one tonight actually. And Good Teamwork which I'll never get as I don't have anyone to play with locally. (Though I could try that trick Psychedelic Eyeball did with one input for two people. But it's really difficult to pull off well.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV4ABVXDJFg

cakely

Made a little more progress. I've now gotten to 4-3, I assume the first "end" of the game is in sight? You were right about the ice caves, sometimes, they're actually pretty easy; it seems like the most important item to have for them is the compass.

As far as goals go, should I try and
get the mines key to tunnel man to unlock the shortcut
? Or should I just press forward and try and beat the game starting at 1-1?

Made a little more progress. I've now gotten to 4-3, I assume the first "end" of the game is in sight? You were right about the ice caves, sometimes, they're actually pretty easy; it seems like the most important item to have for them is the compass.

As far as goals go, should I try and
get the mines key to tunnel man to unlock the shortcut
? Or should I just press forward and try and beat the game starting at 1-1?
!
If you've got to 4-3, you might have a good idea what to expect, the shortcut will just give you practice runs at those 4 levels, but you'd be lucky to find a good collection of items if you start at 4-1.
I guess it's good practice to attempt the unlock but I wouldn't focus on it, if you happen to find a jetpack before you find the key, then go for it!

Why did I chance running under Olmec? Why? I was so set to make it to Hell for the first time, lots of bombs and a jetpack from clearing out the black market but I ran underneath Olmec. I could have flown over him but no, I ran under. WHY.

FHIZ

Why did I chance running under Olmec? Why? I was so set to make it to Hell for the first time, lots of bombs and a jetpack from clearing out the black market but I ran underneath Olmec. I could have flown over him but no, I ran under. WHY.

Because you thought about getting to hell. Spelunky read your thoughts and laughed.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Kill shopkeeper for jetpack in the mines + Spawn right next to a shop in the next level = Great Success!

And Good Teamwork which I'll never get as I don't have anyone to play with locally. (Though I could try that trick Psychedelic Eyeball did with one input for two people. But it's really difficult to pull off well.)
Doing solo co-op is actually surprisingly easy, in fact it's even easier than playing solo. You can get a kapala on a single floor as your co-op buddy acts as a full sacrifice, the ghost blow can successfully placate shopkeepers guarding exits before aggroing them with your presence (as well as being handy in levels in general), and you can just find a coffin to revive your partner during the temple and carry them along during Olmec for the achievement.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doing solo co-op is actually surprisingly easy, in fact it's even easier than playing solo. You can get a kapala on a single floor as your co-op buddy acts as a full sacrifice, the ghost blow can successfully placate shopkeepers guarding exits before aggroing them with your presence (as well as being handy in levels in general), and you can just find a coffin to revive your partner during the temple and carry them along during Olmec for the achievement.
Not if you only have one controller. You couldn't use the blow move. Could you sacrifice the other player or kill him off in the first 15 levels then keep him alive for the last level and use the bomb move to dispatch of Olmec easily? I don't even know how to attach two characters to a single controller.

Not if you only have one controller. You couldn't use the blow move. Could you sacrifice the other player or kill him off in the first 15 levels then keep him alive for the last level and use the bomb move to dispatch of Olmec easily? I don't even know how to attach two characters to a single controller.
You don't need to attach them both to a single controller, have player 2 on keyboard. Carry the partner around until you find an altar, and if you don't want to do that much they will automatically die after being off-screen for a time. So long as you revive the partner before Olmec you're golden, and you can carry them during it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You don't need to attach them both to a single controller, have player 2 on keyboard. Carry the partner around until you find an altar, and if you don't want to do that much they will automatically die after being off-screen for a time. So long as you revive the partner before Olmec you're golden, and you can carry them during it.
Hmm... Good idea. I wonder why Psychedelic Eyeball did the two player one input route. Probably because he doesn't use a controller at all. A coffin will show up in Olmec's lair, right? Couldn't you technically leave him in it, defeat Olmec and then set him free? Or will one not show up there?

Anyways, I've been doing No Gold runs lately. And I am getting so good at it. The furthest I've gotten is 4-3. Seriously. I got to 4-3 on my 108th try and what do you think happened? The game decided "Nope! That's far enough! I'm turning out the lights!" But did a piece of gold do me in? Nah. It was a goddamn mummy... that I saw earlier and knew was there. Worst part is there were two thwomps perfectly placed to clear out the entire path. If I had thought of that before! Next time. Next time! I will get that No Gold Achievement if it kills me!

I'm going to upload the two Temple runs I've done and any subsequent Temple runs and eventual win and then afterwards once I've done it I'll put up a compilation of every death I incurred while attempting it.

Also, I took a break to do yesterday's Daily Challenge and did so well on it... except for one simple mistake. On 4-1 I got a dark level and was so preoccupied with finding the exit safely that I FORGOT TO FIND ANUBIS. I remembered JUST as I pressed LT and went in the door. I screwed up a perfectly perfect Hell run. I had so many bombs and there were so many more in Olmec's lair up in the sky. Like literally everywhere up there. And the worst part was that with the one level I ghosted in the Ice Caves I ended up with $469,425. Literally $30,575 short of one of the last 5 Achievements I need. If I had ghosted ONE MORE LEVEL I would have gotten it! I even used the last 30 bombs I had turning Olmec's room into Swiss cheese getting every last bit of gold I could find. Still came up short. Had I gone to Hell I'd have broken $500,000 easily, even if I died. (Especially since the City of Gold probably would have helped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnXPs12xHTw

Hmm... Good idea. I wonder why Psychedelic Eyeball did the two player one input route. Probably because he doesn't use a controller at all. A coffin will show up in Olmec's lair, right? Couldn't you technically leave him in it, defeat Olmec and then set him free? Or will one not show up there?
A partner reviving coffin won't spawn in Olmec's lair, you'll have to do it in the prior floor at latest.

tm24

DAMNIT.

Made it to the City of Gold and Hell for the first time today. City of Gold was fun, since the book was near the exit, i bombed under it and got the book before mega anubis showed up. No idea he would follow me to Olmec's lair. Killed him but he nailed me but i had enough health to survive. Had a shitload of bombs to get through hell but i tried to save a few and went too fast into a tiki trap. So sad

Kerned

Banned
DAMNIT.

Made it to the City of Gold and Hell for the first time today. City of Gold was fun, since the book was near the exit, i bombed under it and got the book before mega anubis showed up. No idea he would follow me to Olmec's lair. Killed him but he nailed me but i had enough health to survive. Had a shitload of bombs to get through hell but i tried to save a few and went too fast into a tiki trap. So sad

He's follows you to Olmec's lair??? I never knew that. That would have been a really nasty surprise had I ever found myself in a similar situation. I can't believe I have been playing this game (off and on) since its XBLA release and am still learning new things about it.

Kerned

Banned
Well, last night makes three daily challenges in a row in which I have died before 1-4. I did beat my personal best score on a warmup, so that's something I guess (still haven't topped 500,000). I did mange to screw up my Hell attempt again with a careless death in 3-1.

Well, the daily challenge of April 1st was rather depressing. Here was my ranking with only 4 hours left on the clock:

aprilfoolsrankvjudv.png

How did I die, you ask?

ygwnjw.gif

Granted, that score's already been beaten before the daily had reset, but looking at how relatively little the difference was I actually could've stayed on top for once if I killed Yama. Profound sadness.

So I just got to 4-1, Anubis was there and I bombed a path for him to make it easier for him to get in an open area to kill. When he was off screen the DUNNGGG noise that indicates you killed him play, so I went to investigate and he was gone but there was no scepter anywhere. I mean anywhere. No lava pool for it to be in, it wasn't hidden behind a body, it was gone.

What the fuck? Yama run ruined by... something.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So I just got to 4-1, Anubis was there and I bombed a path for him to make it easier for him to get in an open area to kill. When he was off screen the DUNNGGG noise that indicates you killed him play, so I went to investigate and he was gone but there was no scepter anywhere. I mean anywhere. No lava pool for it to be in, it wasn't hidden behind a body, it was gone.

What the fuck? Yama run ruined by... something.

Could have been stomped? That would destroy the scepter as well...

There were no blocks on any part of that level though.

I think something glitched because the agro'd shopkeeper was just standing on the spot by the exit with his shotgun halfway across the level too...

Unless the thwomp somehow got destroyed too there was none on that part of the level for sure.

Oh well, still hoping to beat Yama for the first time before I get the 1000 times played achievement. Nearing 850 now...

Celegus

There were no blocks on any part of that level though.

I think something glitched because the agro'd shopkeeper was just standing on the spot by the exit with his shotgun halfway across the level too...

I've had that happen before too. Wide open area, he was on the screen when I killed him, no lava/thwomps, and just never even dropped the dang thing. No clue.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Today I managed, for the first time, to get a whooping $0 score on the PSN daily! Walked right into an arrow trap, which blasted me down into two bats who nibbled me gently to death as I walked up after being stunned.

All within probably 3 seconds!

In the Steam daily I walked into a caveman with a boomerang inside the shop in the black market. GG

Top Bottom